Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7210164 times)

Relitner

• Boss
  • ree-LITE-ner
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #4040 on: July 09, 2014, 02:40:39 PM »
I just had the worst, terrible dream.

CoH was brought back, but instead of it being brought back to it's former glory the new devs basically kept the name and turned it in to a microtransaction haven casual game with overly cartoony graphics and forced movie ads.  "You have run out of inspirations for today, unlock 10 for only $0.99!"  "You have died, you may wait 5:49:32 or you can use an awaken for $4.99!"

Nah, that was no dream. You've obviously been playing CO in it's current state...  ;D
in nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti amen

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #4041 on: July 09, 2014, 02:43:47 PM »
This thread is getting harder and harder to keep up on!

I know, right?

So, how did you get your title?

I went on a quest!

It was a long journey, ending atop Mount Massive, whereupon I met the Guru. Following many moons of training, he bestowed upon me a title, and sent me on my way, to dispense wisdom to the masses.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Sugoi

• Boss
« Reply #4042 on: July 09, 2014, 02:44:57 PM »

CoH was brought back, but instead of it being brought back to it's former glory the new devs basically kept the name and turned it in to a microtransaction haven casual game with overly cartoony graphics and forced movie ads.  "You have run out of inspirations for today, unlock 10 for only $0.99!"  "You have died, you may wait 5:49:32 or you can use an awaken for $4.99!"

Sounds like a bad dream to me...  Global Wallet Nerf, anyone?

lamer

• Underling
« Reply #4043 on: July 09, 2014, 02:46:13 PM »

That's not so bad! Just don't die. Kappa

Flamazing Sally

• Minion
« Reply #4044 on: July 09, 2014, 02:47:39 PM »
The sister Sallys were on almost all the servers.  I enjoyed each one of them.  However, Protector was my home.  I would be happy to play on any server...any time.  I just want to play again.  Again, thank you, Ironwolf and all involved with this project.  I continue to send good karma & prayers for a speedy return to my City.

gypsyav

• Boss
« Reply #4045 on: July 09, 2014, 02:47:56 PM »
I went on a quest!

It was a long journey, ending atop Mount Massive, whereupon I met the Guru. Following many moons of training, he bestowed upon me a title, and sent me on my way, to dispense wisdom to the masses.

I figured it must have been something like that.
Imagination is the seed of intelligence. Nourish it and watch it grow.

Brou

• Elite Boss
  • Inspector of Tasties
    • Blog
« Reply #4046 on: July 09, 2014, 02:58:11 PM »
Nah, that was no dream. You've obviously been playing CO in it's current state...  ;D

Nice try, but no such restrictions exist. You may be talking about SWTOR.
Spess

BadWolf

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4047 on: July 09, 2014, 03:01:28 PM »
Having initially posted that I was on the fence about character/account data being available with the game, I have now changed my viewpoint slightly. After gaining access to my old email account that was associated with COX I found a whole folder of stuff with loads of purchase information for various packs such as superscience etc. Didn't actually realise how much money I spent before.

Having also sussed out my old login details which I initially had no idea about considering my passwords change regularly. That being the case I had no clue what nearly 2 years ago was, on login I was greeted by:

The game(s) associated with this NCSOFT Master Account are no longer available. If you migrated your account to an NC Account, please log in with your email address. Otherwise, you may create a new NC Account by clicking the button below

So hoping they still have all the associated data to go with. Not a deal breaker as I don't mind starting from scratch as going to be rolling a Fire/Fire Dom following my fire theme both in my gaming and real life (Been playing on Mids like crazy). My main at the time of shutdown was a Speedster Scrapper SJ/SR who had purple io's and rares galore. Would love to be able to strip him of the two 3% defense IO's the Numis regen and others I can't remember to give my Dominator a nice boost once levelled. Having said that I'll gladly start from scratch either way I want to go Home!

Edit: Also a Big Thanks to Ironwolf for all the updates and reintroducing Hope into my life!

The issue isn't whether they have all the associated data--they probably do, although I'll stress that it's a "probably" and nobody here knows for sure--it's whether they have the technical resources and legal ability to hand it over to a third party. NCSoft doesn't generally sell their properties, and they probably didn't design their system with a way of pulling all the purchase information or character databases off and handing them over. They might need to revamp the system that has the data on it, in a way that doesn't affect stability and cause them to lose existing customer info, which is expensive and time-consuming and could be a deal-breaker. And if they have the technical ability, they might also face legal repercussions if they hand over information about a customer without that customer's permission. Meaning they couldn't hand over all the account info; they'd have to go back to each former player and ask, "Is it OK if we sell this information to New CoH?" Which again gets back to expensive and time-consuming and could be a deal-breaker.

I'm not saying these things can't be done--only that we may find out, after everything is said and done, that they would have cost enough time and money that the deal couldn't go through with retaining this information as a condition. That'd be why we wouldn't get our old stuff back, because NCSoft never really thought they'd need to worry about this and didn't make it easily transferrable.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #4048 on: July 09, 2014, 03:08:04 PM »
All the microtransaction stuff was contracted out to Playspan, so ncsoft may not even have a record of who bought what when it comes to that.

Scendera

• Boss
  • Faith Manages.
« Reply #4049 on: July 09, 2014, 03:09:51 PM »
That was why my suggestion of simply flagging every character in the db and everything on them as unlocked permanently.

Yes, they'd lose on potential sales of folks rebuying previously owned stuff. I have a feeling what they'd gain in good will and purchases of NEW stuff would more than outweigh the losses for giving away the prior characters' unlocks.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #4050 on: July 09, 2014, 03:10:46 PM »
A lot of the purchasable stuff was account wide, it can't be unlocked on individual characters.

hejtmane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4051 on: July 09, 2014, 03:14:08 PM »
I love to have my level 50's back; but once NCSoft shut it down I just assumed if it ever came back I would just have to start over. I figured NcSoft would hold on to account information due to the global account stuff

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4052 on: July 09, 2014, 03:15:29 PM »

Come on over to CO, where your nightmare can become reality.  8)

Scendera

• Boss
  • Faith Manages.
« Reply #4053 on: July 09, 2014, 03:16:52 PM »
Hmm, I may not be conveying what I mean then. If the character currently has it...they keep it and stay playable.

If you want it for another...yeah, a repurchase might be necessary, or "This exists on this character, unlock for this account" could work, for things like ATs and power sets. IE...you have a Peacebringer, the account is flagging as Peacebringer being unlocked, etc.

I'm the first to admit that I simply don't know as much about the guts of the game as you, and you'd have a much better idea of what's possible.

There may not be any perfect solutions, but I'm thinking of what I've seen in other MMOs that worked, and was wildly popular with the player base, and generally got money forked over cheerfully rather the grudgingly.

ObsidianPhoenix76

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4054 on: July 09, 2014, 03:19:55 PM »
Amen! GUARDIANITES UNITE!

*Raises hand*

Obsidian Phoenix reporting in!

I'm trying to not get TOO excited for these new efforts, that way if something bad happens, I will not have my soul crushed again. 

But...

If it does happen, and we get our home back,  I will re-roll, re-do, or whatever else is needed to get back into the game.

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #4055 on: July 09, 2014, 03:20:47 PM »
If the negotiations include obtaining the existing servers those should hold your game accounts. Which are character info... shouldn't include any financial information or names just your login name, global, characters, and your encrypted password.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #4056 on: July 09, 2014, 03:21:27 PM »
As far as the "Server name game" goes, what if the new names reference the old ones, sometimes in a somewhat roundabout way?

Freedom -> Immunity
Infinity -> Eternity
Liberty -> Independence
Pinnacle -> Summit
Triumph -> Conquest
Victory -> Ascendant (oh come on... you know you want it)
Champion -> Paragon
Guardian -> Sentinel
Justice -> Authority
Protector -> Defender
Virtue -> Incorruptible
Defiant -> Resurgent
Union -> Unity
Zukunft -> Ferne
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Benchpresser

• Minion
« Reply #4057 on: July 09, 2014, 03:27:16 PM »
From what I understand- even if NCSoft has all account data and character data, there may be no way to "relink" the 2.  Now, it may be possible to get the same company that ran the store to run it again, then it would just be a matter of the player being able to prove they are who they are and that way the company can take the player's purchases and add them to a new account.. but that is likely what is being discussed/explored before the deal goes through. 

Several people on a few CoH Facebook groups are yelling at me that they agreed to the EULA so everything should be fine.... but I keep reminding them that financial data was NEVER part of the EULA.... that would be insane!

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #4058 on: July 09, 2014, 03:28:51 PM »
As far as the "Server name game" goes, what if the new names reference the old ones, sometimes in a somewhat roundabout way?

Freedom -> Immunity
Infinity -> Eternity
Liberty -> Independence
Pinnacle -> Summit
Triumph -> Conquest
Victory -> Ascendant (oh come on... you know you want it)
Champion -> Paragon
Guardian -> Sentinel
Justice -> Authority
Protector -> Defender
Virtue -> Incorruptible
Defiant -> Resurgent
Union -> Unity
Zukunft -> Ferne

Since they don't have to have individual machines for each server and they are essentially virtual, why not just go with the ones they already had? In fact He wrote a post some time ago that basically stated that a "Servers" activity was actually spread across multiple machines on demand to help balance load

The way Codewalker explained it, it doesn't sound like it adds much if any cost and it makes things much easier to restore character data. No worrying about character names for one thing, heck we might even get SG's back if the go with the original naming scheme.

Edit: Thanks for the title it actually is a trident. I'm less devilish then it might seem!
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #4059 on: July 09, 2014, 03:29:49 PM »