Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7292695 times)

Styrj

• Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #4080 on: July 09, 2014, 04:37:28 PM »
This is great news Ironwolf.  Hopefully, we're in the home stretch. ;) Huge thank you to you and the buyer team!  This is such an awesome community for supporting a game that has been closed for almost two years!!
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!  Infinity Server...

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4081 on: July 09, 2014, 04:37:54 PM »
As another thought, how about naming the servers after the Surviving Eight (Statesman, Sister Psyche, Manticore, Positron, Numina, Citadel, Back Alley Brawler, Synapse)? Thought that's assuming they would have to be changed or it even would make sense to do so. Some people identify pretty strongly with their pet server.

I kinda dig that idea actually. Unfortunately it probably wouldn't go over too well with a lot of people. In game, Statesman and Sister Psyche were dead thanks to the first SSA, which didn't sit well with a lot of players; and out of game, some people had some pretty hefty grudges against the developers that represented Statesman and Positron. Heck I think even Synapse had a few haters. Then there's all the redside and goldside players who wouldn't be too pleased to have only blueside representation to choose from.

Cool as it is, you'd probably have an easier time suggesting they be called Freem and Hoorb.

... ???

:o

Aww man, now I want to play on Freem!!!  :gonk:

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #4082 on: July 09, 2014, 04:42:37 PM »
I kinda dig that idea actually. Unfortunately it probably wouldn't go over too well with a lot of people. In game, Statesman and Sister Psyche were dead thanks to the first SSA, which didn't sit well with a lot of players; and out of game, some people had some pretty hefty grudges against the developers that represented Statesman and Positron. Heck I think even Synapse had a few haters. Then there's all the redside and goldside players who wouldn't be too pleased to have only blueside representation to choose from.

Cool as it is, you'd probably have an easier time suggesting they be called Freem and Hoorb.

... ???

:o

Aww man, now I want to play on Freem!!!  :gonk:

Again, wouldn't be simpler just to use the original server names?

Doesn't sound like from what codewalker posted that it will save money since the servers were virtual and tasks were split between physical machines to balance load. This resolves duplicate names for characters (assuming we can get them) and SG's without doing anything extra at all.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Fridgy Daiere

« Reply #4083 on: July 09, 2014, 04:45:46 PM »

Doesn't sound like from what codewalker posted that it will save money since the servers were virtual and tasks were split between physical machines to balance load. This resolves duplicate names for characters (assuming we can get them) and SG's without doing anything extra at all.

Yes, but who wouldn't want to play on Freem and Hoorb?!?    :P

Serpine

• Biting Commentarian
  • Boss
  • Telegram force and ready
« Reply #4084 on: July 09, 2014, 04:46:40 PM »
Oh I would much prefer the original names: I mainly suggested the Surviving Eight as an alternative to ideas like "5 different ways to say I'm back" or "Running the original names through a thesaurus". :)

I won't really be happy unless the bulk of my characters are crawling around Virtue...

Oh and regarding some other comments above, if we for some reason need more servers then originally, my vote is definitely for Freem. Followed by the legendary servers "Go. Hunt. Kill Skuls" and "Gone to the Americans".
Guns don't kill people, meerkats do.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4085 on: July 09, 2014, 04:48:15 PM »
Yes, but who wouldn't want to play on Freem and Hoorb?!?    :P

Well, yeah.

I just want to make it as easy as possible to get back to where we were when the game closed. Besides I would rather play on my home server than one I'm not sure how to pronounce.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4086 on: July 09, 2014, 04:49:45 PM »

Sure. That makes sense for all kinds of reasons. We're just tossing ideas around, is all.

We didn't get to 205 pages by just saying 'lol' and '+1' the whole time!  ;D

Serpine

• Biting Commentarian
  • Boss
  • Telegram force and ready
« Reply #4087 on: July 09, 2014, 04:51:12 PM »
LOL +1.
Guns don't kill people, meerkats do.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4088 on: July 09, 2014, 05:01:26 PM »
Besides I would rather play on my home server than one I'm not sure how to pronounce.

Well, Freem sounds pretty much like an energy blast or a laser rifle. And iirc from one of the Coffee Talks, Hoorb sounds like some kind of cross between a honking duck and a sick Wookie. If that helps any  ;D

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4089 on: July 09, 2014, 05:02:32 PM »

Goddangit

• Daisy Duke's
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4090 on: July 09, 2014, 05:03:29 PM »
Well, Freem sounds pretty much like an energy blast or a laser rifle. And iirc from one of the Coffee Talks, Hoorb sounds like some kind of cross between a honking duck and a sick Wookie. If that helps any  ;D

It comes with the making of air sounds.  :)

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4091 on: July 09, 2014, 05:05:39 PM »
Sure. That makes sense for all kinds of reasons. We're just tossing ideas around, is all.

If the servers are expanded beyond eight, you'll want to pick the names carefully. I doubt you'd find many players signing up for Fusionette or Flambeaux. ;)

Hey, I got a title! I'm...I'm SOMEBODY!
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

Fridgy Daiere

« Reply #4092 on: July 09, 2014, 05:06:45 PM »
It comes with the making of air sounds.  :)

*Flashback to Praetoria*

and
http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/April_Fools#Article:_City_Of_Heroes_Announces_Visual_Sounds.21

I remember reading that and wondering what the heck they were thinking...then Happ reminded me what day it was.

Nealix

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4093 on: July 09, 2014, 05:21:40 PM »
Personally I think all of the Surviving Eight are cool, but it just made me think of the Justice League and how no one would want to be on "Aquaman".

Just think of how busy the Batman server would be.

Hey I like Aquaman!  He'd be cooler if he was a water blaster though...

BadWolf

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4094 on: July 09, 2014, 05:25:02 PM »
Hmm, I may not be conveying what I mean then. If the character currently has it...they keep it and stay playable.

If you want it for another...yeah, a repurchase might be necessary, or "This exists on this character, unlock for this account" could work, for things like ATs and power sets. IE...you have a Peacebringer, the account is flagging as Peacebringer being unlocked, etc.

I'm the first to admit that I simply don't know as much about the guts of the game as you, and you'd have a much better idea of what's possible.

There may not be any perfect solutions, but I'm thinking of what I've seen in other MMOs that worked, and was wildly popular with the player base, and generally got money forked over cheerfully rather the grudgingly.

I like that solution--assuming character data ports over but account data doesn't, you should in theory be able to datamine a person's characters to determine their account purchases. "Oh, you've got a level 21 Mastermind! That means that the Mastermind archetype should be unlocked for this account! Oh, you've got a Water Blast Defender! That means that Water Blast should be unlocked for this account! Oh, you've got boxing gloves on! That means the Boxing costume parts should be unlocked for this account!" It would have its drawbacks--things you bought but never got around to using would need to be repurchased--but it's not without its charms as a solution.

However, it'd require datamining and possibly developing a tool to do the datamining (as they might not have something that does that in the game now), which gets back to time and money and expertise. This would be time and money spent by the new crew, not NCSoft, which makes it a bit more viable--they do have an incentive to get a large, happy returning playerbase, after all--but from what we've heard about CoH code, it may be beyond their expertise...at least at relaunch. That might be something they get to later if they can. :)

(I should make a sig stating that all my statements in this thread are my interpretations of things more knowledgeable people have said, and I reserve the right to be totally wrong.)

mrultimate

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4095 on: July 09, 2014, 05:27:06 PM »
Hey I like Aquaman!  He'd be cooler if he was a water blaster though...

Aquaman in the New 52 is awesome. The Geoff Johns storyline really made him what he should have been all along. On a related note I've preordered the DC Covergirls staue of Mera. I can''t wait to add it to my collection.

Risha

• Boss
  • Dancing at the end of the World
« Reply #4096 on: July 09, 2014, 05:30:34 PM »
So anyhow, Facebook is still exploding, and players are coming out of everywhere. I'm thinking when the game comes back, Virtue at least is going to be almost as it was.

which FB page, I belong to a lot of them, but I'm not seeing this.
Writer of Fantasy and Fantasy Romance

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4097 on: July 09, 2014, 05:30:56 PM »
(snip)
(I should make a sig stating that all my statements in this thread are my interpretations of things more knowledgeable people have said, and I reserve the right to be totally wrong.)

Sorry, pal; I reserved that right a LONG time ago, and wore it out more times than I can count. :/
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

Risha

• Boss
  • Dancing at the end of the World
« Reply #4098 on: July 09, 2014, 05:32:50 PM »
So anyhow, Facebook is still exploding, and players are coming out of everywhere. I'm thinking when the game comes back, Virtue at least is going to be almost as it was.

Which FB page?  I belong to several survivors and I don't see this. ... and I thought we were to keep this rather quiet so as not to put pressure on the negotiations.

Edit:  sorry for the double post.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 05:45:44 PM by Risha »
Writer of Fantasy and Fantasy Romance

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4099 on: July 09, 2014, 05:38:19 PM »
Aquaman in the New 52 is awesome. The Geoff Johns storyline really made him what he should have been all along. On a related note I've preordered the DC Covergirls staue of Mera. I can''t wait to add it to my collection.

So true! It seems like every 20 years or so, somebody does a good Aquaman run. This is easily my favorite of the New 52 books that I have read of the last years worth.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow