Author Topic: Valiance Online Is Remembering CoH November 30th (Pre-Alpha Release)  (Read 8207 times)

Aviticus Gladius

• Lieutenant
NOVEMBER 30TH RELEASE!

Greetings once again heroes, villains, rogues, vigilantes, and those with absolutely no alignment. Today we're happy to announce that the Valiance Online pre-alpha update will be released on November 30th. As our earlier adopter may be aware, we've worked really hard over the last few months, building upon the foundation of GorgonServer, our company's proven MMO technology. Our initial platform releases were instrumental in forward progress of the Valiance Online; giving us a better understand of where we could improve the technology.

We're now preparing to open the gates of the city to former occupants of the city and new members this wish to be a part of the city. We are confident that we will prove our capabilities as developers and our desire to see a virtual city rebuilt. The plan has been and will always be to recreated this bold new world with the direction and desires of its former community as the foundation for it's design throughout its development. We've pour our hearts, souls, and all of our available time into building the best demonstration we could. With limited time and limited funds, we haven't been able to implement everything we would have liked to, but we've put everything we could into it. We're happy with our progress, and know that you will all see what is possible with your continued support.

Thanks to your financial investments, we were able to purchase more character customizations, concept art, world assets, and a few weeks of dedicated programming. With that said, it's safe to say that the project would not be what it is on this day, without your commitments. So we encourage everyone to continue helping us build this city; continuing to invest and share our latest progress with everyone that would hear about it.

The Valiance team has put countless time and effort into this project, not for glory or accolades, but for all of us. They do it to honor those who once occupied the city and are no longer with us, and for all who wish to continue to carry the torch into the next era of spiritual successors.

We'd like to end by thanking everyone for their encouragement, guidance, and support. You all make every moment of development worth the time spent. We are more than happy to provide a new virtual home for those who will one day be well known heroes, villains, rogues, and vigilantes. So please share this wherever you can, and as often as you can leading up to the release of the pre-alpha. We'll be revealing new information and imagery every day next week leading up to the release. We want to pack the servers and gather as much feedback as we can. We all look forward to seeing you in the city on November the 30th.

-Team Valiance

thunderforce

• Elite Boss
Re: Valiance Online Is Remembering CoH November 30th (Pre-Alpha Release)
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 06:22:20 PM »
Cor. This could be a nicer birthday present than the one I got from NC last year. Looking forward to it.

Chance Jackson

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 07:11:15 PM »
I'll be keeping an eye on this
Chance Jackson was my Global, I mostly played on Triumph Toons: LIEGE CHEETATRON X - Bots/Traps/Mu lvl 50 +3; DOWN RIGHT FIERCE - SJ/Fire/Soul Brute lvl 50 +3; FIGHT OF YOUR LIFE -KM/Nin/Fire Stalker lvl 50 +3; TIME MAY CHANGE ME - Time/Sonic/Dark; INFERNAL SAMURAI - DB/Fire/Fire lvl 50 +3 replaced by "NITORYU" - DB/WP probably a brute; THUNDEROUS BRUTE - Elec/Shield Scrapper; And Many More!

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 01:39:51 AM »
So will the NSA.

Everlock

• Underling
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 05:42:41 AM »
I donated a mortgage payment to the City of Titans Kickstarter and have no spending cash left at the moment.  I put all my eggs in one  basket I guess.  I'm kind of conflicted.  In a perfect world, (for me) there would be just one spiritual successor gunning for daylight.  The developers would be the best and brightest and the new game would be richer and more spectacular because everyone was working to create one game.  I understand that this isn't the scenario that's playing out.  The three projects all have different visions.  I'm rooting for all of you!  I just don't have the cash to support all of you.  I'm looking forward to trying out the pre-alpha of Valiance Online and hope to throw some financial support your way in the future.

Aviticus Gladius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 09:12:26 AM »
Thanks for the support everyone, it's the life-blood of the project. It means a lot to have so many behind us helping push the team towards the finish line.

Everlock, please don't feel guilt for your inability to fund all projects. There are tons of things we want every day, and can only afford to purchase from a single supplier. The team consists of quite a few industry vets in their respective divisions, they also have a fully playable product, and quite a few investors have shown interest in the project. I think they'll fair well in time. Finance is a large part of the MMO production pipeline, but it's not the only part. Ultimately it comes down to what you can do with what you have. I worked on my technology for 4 years now, many days far longer than full-time hours. Combine that with our partners tech and you have well over 7 years of unpaid, beyond full-time development working as the core of the Valiance experience.

More than anything, the team just wants support. It could be as simple as a Facebook like, because I couldn't express how good it feels to see that one more person likes what you're doing at the end of the day. If you take the time to post in the forums, or comment on a social network, that is going that much further above and beyond. So I think I can speak for the entire Valiance team and say that we're most grateful for the time you all take to voice your opinions and share ideas with us. Thanks a lot everyone.

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 03:26:02 PM »
I'll definitely be trying it out. You'll have me bugging you to add a Warshade-like character in the game for many years to come... :P
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

batqueen

• Boss
  • [flap flap]
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 04:15:30 PM »
And of course, support from 'Villains' means your streets are full of everything from petty muggings to full blown attempts to take over the city.  Sounds like fun!  Hope you're ready for teh evilness!   ;D

microc

• Boss
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2013, 10:56:01 PM »
when the server are up and the download is ready you should post a link here to the download.

Stormy Weathermaker

• Minion
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2013, 11:49:03 PM »
when the server are up and the download is ready you should post a link here to the download.

Agreed!  That would be awesome!  ;D

SerialBeggar

• Elite Boss
    • Serial Beggar
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2013, 03:14:09 AM »
Since no one has posted it yet:

http://shogn.net/gamebuild/Valiance_32bit.zip
http://shogn.net/gamebuild/Valiance_64-bit.zip

Mac version is pending. 
http://shogn.net/gamebuild/Valiance_Mac-Universal.app.zip

I couldn't get the costume customizing to work, so I just Next through it.  Some people say that's due to lag, but I only saw players with default costumes in the game.

In the game, it's very laggy around the zone-in area.  It was a bit better further out.  The map isn't that big.

NOTE:  to the right of the zone-in Park, behind the tall building with the black and beige vertical panels, is the spawn pit (parking lot) for the test enemies. 

You get travel powers automatically at level 5: Fly and Super Jump.  They might be archetype specific (for now), I'm not sure.  I got Fly on my Projector character (blaster).  Flying was very rudimentary of course, plus with the lag, I wasn't sure if it was operating properly.  I click the power button, my character does a kick animation.  Then you need to press/hold down the R-key (default) to ascend (F-key to descend).  Right now Fly only last 30 seconds.  I didn't get to try Super Jump.

Shift-o = opens the game settings/options window.

By the way, don't try the Ctrl-p for screenshot.  It crashes my game.  Some people are saying entering the Subway was crashing them too, but I couldn't find it.

~~~~~
Edit:
Added the link to the Mac build.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 01:29:35 AM by SerialBeggar »
Teams are the number one killers of Soloists.

Chance Jackson

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2013, 03:17:23 AM »
I got super jump as a fighter so I'm thinking it is currently archetype specific haven't been able to get back into the game until shortly after the 32 bit version got reuploaded
Chance Jackson was my Global, I mostly played on Triumph Toons: LIEGE CHEETATRON X - Bots/Traps/Mu lvl 50 +3; DOWN RIGHT FIERCE - SJ/Fire/Soul Brute lvl 50 +3; FIGHT OF YOUR LIFE -KM/Nin/Fire Stalker lvl 50 +3; TIME MAY CHANGE ME - Time/Sonic/Dark; INFERNAL SAMURAI - DB/Fire/Fire lvl 50 +3 replaced by "NITORYU" - DB/WP probably a brute; THUNDEROUS BRUTE - Elec/Shield Scrapper; And Many More!

FlyingCarcass

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2013, 03:52:15 AM »
I like the log in menu music. I tried logging in through both the 32 and 64 bit clients and while I could log in, neither would load character models or allow me to move around (I'm using Windows 7 64 bit). I could, however, look at the environment and see chat. Ah well, bugs are expected in a pre-alpha.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 04:08:05 AM by FlyingCarcass »

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2013, 04:11:03 AM »
I like the log in menu music. I tried logging in through both the 32 and 64 bit clients and while I could log in, neither would load character models or allow me to move around (I'm using Windows 7 64 bit). I could, however, look at the environment and see chat. Ah well, bugs are expected in a pre-alpha.

Same here. The 32-bit client froze me in mid-air (apparently) on top of the plaza, the 64-bit client froze me in mid-air off to the side of the base of the steps up to the plaza. No movement keys were functional, nor was click-to-move (not usable in air). Chat works, and the trees and bushes have a nice model.

ROBOKiTTY

• Boss
  • KiTTYRiffic
    • KiTTYLand
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2013, 05:25:35 AM »
It sounded like things were working for a bit, and then the server blew up.
Have you played with a KiTTY today?

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2013, 06:07:15 AM »
looks good so far. like the main menu log in music

Cobra Man

• Boss
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2013, 10:16:48 AM »
Interesting. I'll be taking a look at this when I get in from work.

SerialBeggar

• Elite Boss
    • Serial Beggar
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2013, 06:23:53 PM »
As of half a hour ago, from Facebook:

Valiance Online
(Aaron) Servers are rebuilt and established and new builds of the game are going up. We're going to do test with just the 32-bit Windows builds first. I want to stress the existing servers out for a bit first. Those of you with the builds from yesterday can join in. I'm making a new test build now.

From earlier this morning, from Facebook:

Valiance Online
Greeting Everyone:

(Aaron) I'm not going to say too much at the minute as I'm trying to accurately transition to the new release of Unity 3D, version 4.3.1. There will be a massive lot of improvements in the upcoming release, which we will be issuing as a patch. Speaking of patching, we've found a new server to host our patching repository, and I'm working on establishing that today. We've also taken your recent investments and purchases 3 new servers, much more powerful servers, that will be built later tonight and setup for everyone to jump into. Over the next few days, we want as many people to put as much pressure on these new servers as possible to help us get a better understanding of what quality of server we need next month. Through out the week, I'll be adding lots of elements to the gameplay as well as pulling those crazy power sets out and putting the final power sets back in. Lastly, we'll start planning a more structured server handling system, so that we can allow players to choose a server to create their characters on. So, let's start voting on server names!!!

We didn't expect such a massive showing yesterday, but we are glad that so many showed their passion and desire to join the new city. Next week the team will be pushing your investments to the max to insure that a more stable product is in your hands.

New builds will be released from the new Unity 4.3.1 transition with a few bug fixes today prior to the installer release so that people can get us feedback immediately. I'll try to get rid of as many bugs as I can today, especially the one where I forgot to re-enable the "kill after 7 seconds" script on the level-up effect. That alone was the cause of many performance issues (sleep insomniac coder... sleep).

Once again thanks for supporting us, coming out and gaming with us yesterday. Look forward to today's updates, as well as next weeks improvement... oh and a huge update on the site which will outline all the updates that you will see next week. Looks like I said too much anyway haha. Later everyone!
Teams are the number one killers of Soloists.

FlyingCarcass

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2013, 07:22:32 PM »
Yeah, it's possible to log in, kill test dummies, and fly around now. I like the level up jingle.

microc

• Boss
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2013, 07:23:10 PM »
http://shogn.net/gamebuild/Valiance_32bit.zip
link to the newest 32 bit build