Author Topic: I still miss it...  (Read 4337 times)

Chance Jackson

• Lieutenant
I still miss it...
« on: October 31, 2013, 03:50:49 AM »
and to think how far along we would be in post I24 content, and new incarnate powers by now if NC Soft hadn't pulled the plug. Was there ever an official word said about what was intended after hybrid? Never did get that orbital laser strike sigh
Chance Jackson was my Global, I mostly played on Triumph Toons: LIEGE CHEETATRON X - Bots/Traps/Mu lvl 50 +3; DOWN RIGHT FIERCE - SJ/Fire/Soul Brute lvl 50 +3; FIGHT OF YOUR LIFE -KM/Nin/Fire Stalker lvl 50 +3; TIME MAY CHANGE ME - Time/Sonic/Dark; INFERNAL SAMURAI - DB/Fire/Fire lvl 50 +3 replaced by "NITORYU" - DB/WP probably a brute; THUNDEROUS BRUTE - Elec/Shield Scrapper; And Many More!

Kyriani

• Elite Boss
Re: I still miss it...
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 04:47:33 AM »
I think the idea for Genesis was to do something that affected your other incarnate powers but I am unsure if a solid plan was laid out as to exactly what that was or if they even still intended to go that route.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 03:31:58 PM »

goodtime

• Boss
    • my videos
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 07:59:46 PM »
From the Lore Q&A/AMA
What's the farthest Issue that was planned for, and what are the story arcs for each of the future issues (starting with I24, since I wasn't on Beta much )?
MM: Issue 25: Battalion arrives, Issue 26: Fight Battalion, Issue 27: Get your ass kicked by Battalion. Issue 28: Beat Battalion (from the moon!)

If they had four months each for those issues, then we'd be getting our collective super-asses kicked about now, or real soon.  And the Atlasverse would be abuzz over the upcoming moonbase issue 28.   Or at least me.  :(

Chance Jackson

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 02:51:55 AM »
From the Lore Q&A/AMA
If they had four months each for those issues, then we'd be getting our collective super-asses kicked about now, or real soon.  And the Atlasverse would be abuzz over the upcoming moonbase issue 28.   Or at least me.  :(
That's quite the read
Chance Jackson was my Global, I mostly played on Triumph Toons: LIEGE CHEETATRON X - Bots/Traps/Mu lvl 50 +3; DOWN RIGHT FIERCE - SJ/Fire/Soul Brute lvl 50 +3; FIGHT OF YOUR LIFE -KM/Nin/Fire Stalker lvl 50 +3; TIME MAY CHANGE ME - Time/Sonic/Dark; INFERNAL SAMURAI - DB/Fire/Fire lvl 50 +3 replaced by "NITORYU" - DB/WP probably a brute; THUNDEROUS BRUTE - Elec/Shield Scrapper; And Many More!

GenericHero05

• New Efforts # 7,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 04:40:12 AM »
Everyday  :'(
If I was a Jedi, there's a 100% chance that I'd use The Force inappropriately.

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 05:42:27 PM »
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 06:00:54 PM »
We each loved CoH so much, I very much hope we get it back--and soon--even as I am now hoping for the success of City of Titans/the Phoenix Project.  While time has eased this, I used to dream about CoH with frequency after NCkill server shutdown (and still do, tho not to the same extent.)  I remain appalled at the hurt sustained by this community of CoH fans--and suspect this is a large factor in why I have been unable to "get into" and enjoy any other MMORPG.  It seems I am really a CoH-player much more than an online gamer.

I continue to hope that NCSoft will see the light and part with the IP at some reasonable price; I keep hoping one of the TF Hail Mary attempts succeeds; etc.  I'd solo play CoH, since I enjoyed even that, but what I miss equally is teaming up with the online friends I met.

/em holdtorch for much better days for us all.
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

antarcticaa

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2013, 02:15:17 AM »
I still miss it.  Sometimes it's a little ache, sometimes it comes back roaring, like when I think, "Oh, we should be trick or treating now," or looking forward to some special holiday event.  Tonight before I got online I looked through a bunch of old screenshots.  Bittersweet.  We can't go home again. 

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2013, 07:26:36 PM »
"We can't go home again"

I won't give up on the idea we will go home again to our beloved game. I just won't....
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2013, 11:47:07 PM »
Everyday  :'(

This just says it all (IMO)!  I look forward to the day when we can all come back to the City, though at this point I expect it will be City of Titans.  (Of course I could be entirely wrong in my expectations--and let's hope in a good way!)

Here we are, nearly a year later, grieving City of Heroes.  Why?  Because it was wonderful and it was community.  It makes me want to do something, only I cannot think of anything constructive I can do, other than hope one of the TFHM attempts is successful.

Okay, I'm gonna stop obsessing over this thread, and distract myself with other activities (like maybe Civ 4).  I may (or may not) be away from Titan for a while.  Wishing all the fans here the very best. 

Live long and prosper!  May the Force be with you!  /em holdtorch  Peace.

"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Lucky666

• Underling
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 06:59:27 AM »
I miss the city too. The new incarnte powers will always be a what if to me. It kills me to to not have an ending. Just one minute it's there then nothing.

I miss stalking people in Recluses victory with my stalker. Is there even any other mmos out there where you can be completely invisible to other players and stab them in the back and drop 3/4 of their life? Ya FPS headshot other people for instant kills but it just aint as satisfying as super powered  battles with every element and then some flying around.

The flying, jumping, super speeding. I remember when ninja run came out I just booted around different zones for the fun  of it.  Then the went and released /dark for controllers and made my day. The only other power set I really wanted ported was illusion for doms. I woulda paid more then a reasonable amount of money to make that happen.

I hope when this City of Titans release it hase all these things and everything I didn't mention that COH had.

thunderforce

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 12:13:38 PM »
I miss stalking people in Recluses victory with my stalker. Is there even any other mmos out there where you can be completely invisible to other players and stab them in the back and drop 3/4 of their life?

World of Tanks? (Like in CoX PvP, spotting is game mechanical, not dependent on the player's alertness).

But I know what you mean. I miss Super Jump, personally. Boing!

KingsGambit

• Underling
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 10:35:29 PM »
I still miss it.  Sometimes it's a little ache, sometimes it comes back roaring, like when I think, "Oh, we should be trick or treating now," or looking forward to some special holiday event.  Tonight before I got online I looked through a bunch of old screenshots.  Bittersweet.  We can't go home again.
I couldn't have described it better. I joined this site some days ago to join in another thread on this forum and am glad to find others who feel the same way. Right now, since last weekend, it's been roaring. After having taken the games existence for granted for so many years, each pang brings back the surreal concept that it's simply not there to go back to. It's still hard to conceive of, even a year on.

Right now, everyone would likely be back in the Grotto saving bloody Baby New Year from bloody Snaptooth, again. Because inevitably we'd have a new character or two and would need all the badges/costume pieces. And there was the exploration badge on the floating truck only available during the event. And the skiing that meant all non-superspeeders had to respec SS to get the badges. At the end I still had a couple of villains who were just short of the "300 Tuatha de Dannan" badge, and that annual event was the only opportunity for vills to get it. My Ice/Ice domi "Winter's Touch" had "Frosty" as her badge title for pretty much her entire lifespan. I remember all the RPers would congregate in the chalet during the event too.

I might be mistaken but I think there was a hole in that map too. i remember being shown such a hole and flying around outside the zones bounds, I swear it was the grotto.

KingsGambit

• Underling
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 10:50:16 PM »
I miss stalking people in Recluses victory with my stalker. Is there even any other mmos out there where you can be completely invisible to other players and stab them in the back and drop 3/4 of their life?
I don't miss being on the receiving end of that :-P It was frustrating being powerless against it. Stalkers and blasters were in a class of their own in PvP.

I do have a memory of a friend and I beating on an Ice tank in one of the PvP zones. He was incredible, even with two of us pounding on him he shrugged us off like annoying pests. Even though we couldn't beat him, I fondly remember the trying....repeatedly :-)
The only other power set I really wanted ported was illusion for doms. I woulda paid more then a reasonable amount of money to make that happen.
I'm completely with you on that! I never understood why with the power proliferation initiative, (was it I12?) illusion never made it across when it was a completely logical and natural powerset to make available (without a single change necessary). I really wanted to roll an illusion/psi domi.

Kyriani

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2013, 02:00:20 PM »
I don't miss being on the receiving end of that :-P It was frustrating being powerless against it. Stalkers and blasters were in a class of their own in PvP.

I do have a memory of a friend and I beating on an Ice tank in one of the PvP zones. He was incredible, even with two of us pounding on him he shrugged us off like annoying pests. Even though we couldn't beat him, I fondly remember the trying....repeatedly :-)I'm completely with you on that! I never understood why with the power proliferation initiative, (was it I12?) illusion never made it across when it was a completely logical and natural powerset to make available (without a single change necessary). I really wanted to roll an illusion/psi domi.

One of the big reasons Illusion didn't get ported is that Illusion does far too much damage. Which is fine on controllers that don't otherwise have a great deal of damage capability and gain such in return for less control power. But Dominators have higher potential damage output than controllers and a whole secondary devoted to pumping out damage. Imagine adding 3 indestructible tanks that also deal out pretty considerable damage AND a perma pocket energy blaster pet to the mix. It would far and away be better than any other Dominator primary IMO. I'd imagine if Illusion got ported it would differ from controller's Illusion significantly. I'd expect to see Phantom Army be altered or replaced at the very least.

Sajaana

• Boss
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2013, 06:29:54 AM »
It is amazing how, at this time, I can go back in my mind and remember all the neighborhoods: St. Martial.  Steel Canyon.  Peregrine Island.  Sharkhead.  Brickstown.  I can still recall how far of a jump it is from the Golden Giza to the Pocket D entrance.

These weren't just "zones" to me.  It was my neighborhood...the neighborhood of my dreams, I suppose.  I must have walked near every square foot of those neighborhoods...so much so that I knew them almost intuitively...just like they were real streets.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2013, 06:59:26 AM »
It's sad that I know the streets of Paragon better than that of my own town.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Cinnder

• Boss
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2013, 05:50:05 AM »
It's sad that I know the streets of Paragon better than that of my own town.

LOL!  So true!

I still get that sinking feeling in my stomach about once a week when I think of playing CoX and then remember I can't anymore.

I was thinking that I really don't believe anymore that we'll ever get it back, but I still refuse to read that loregasm thread, which must mean somewhere, deep down, I still have hope.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2013, 05:59:59 AM »
One of the big reasons Illusion didn't get ported is that Illusion does far too much damage. Which is fine on controllers that don't otherwise have a great deal of damage capability and gain such in return for less control power. But Dominators have higher potential damage output than controllers and a whole secondary devoted to pumping out damage. Imagine adding 3 indestructible tanks that also deal out pretty considerable damage AND a perma pocket energy blaster pet to the mix. It would far and away be better than any other Dominator primary IMO. I'd imagine if Illusion got ported it would differ from controller's Illusion significantly. I'd expect to see Phantom Army be altered or replaced at the very least.
yeah I don't think when they made the three invincible tanks and illusion set for controllers, something like the dominator wasn't even in the thoughts. When villains hit and even after when powers got ported between the set, I think one of the reasons that illusions didn't go was because of that reason you stated. In hind sight, they probably would have made the three tanks able to be damaged and or toned down their damage and wouldn't be surprised if that did cross their mind but then either ya have people angry that it's watered down for doms or if across the bored, POed controllers that feel they got nerfed. Or left it as is and ported it, then non illusion dom players would be calling for a nerf of it because it's too good and more than likely it would have gotten nerfed. So the better choice was probably to leave it un ported instead of in the future going through all that trouble and face damned if they do damned if they don't situation for a short praise that it got ported.

Hopefully now, new game, with both villains and heroes in thought, hopefully they do a similar power now that they can balance it for both now.