Author Topic: How far would you be willing to go?  (Read 19372 times)

AlabasterKnight

• Lieutenant
How far would you be willing to go?
« on: October 17, 2013, 02:31:12 PM »
Simple question:

If CoH was resurrected by any company (excluding NCSoft), would you be will to pay a subscription fee to play knowing that the company or companies who brought it back would have to expend resources to exhume it from the NCSoft graveyard?

I would.

Quinch

Re: How far would you be willing to go?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 02:34:21 PM »
I paid a subscription since the day I got into the game, even after Freedom.

So, naturally.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 03:01:59 PM »
I already figured out I would pay up to about $35-40 a month.

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 04:38:54 PM »
Sure.  Why not.  I was a paid subscriber from coh issue 2.  Never stopped even during freedom.

But that's an easy question.  Let's go for the real question.  What if NCSoft returned it to service?

For the record, I'd give it serious consideration.  I would want to appoint a team from our player base to meet with Sr management to hammer out the details and get signed contractual commitments from NCSoft before my mice would return to Paragon City.

At the minimum:
  • NCSoft would have to show three consecutive years of losses before they can shut it down again.
  • A minimum of 50% of all earning must be reinvested in CoH only.
  • A genuine advertising campaign to bring perspective players.  Not this post in some obscure forum and call it advertisement.
  • Restore from backup all of our toons, SGs/VGs, etc.
  • Regular quarterly meetings between NCSoft management and our appointed team to discuss the game
  • Regular quarterly meetings between the Devs and our appointed team to discuss the game, content, direction, etc.

One of the rumours I've heard for years in CoH was no one knew where to take the game after building villains.  At least two of the commitments would greatly help in that area.

Of course, it's all open for negotiation.
No Surrender!

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 05:52:12 PM »
Oh yeah I probably will subscribe again regardless.

And that contract thing is a good idea, except I doubt any company would be keen on having to suffer through three years of losses. During those three years of losses, who will reinburse them for that money lost? While some sort of contract could be made and enforced, there should be also what is in it for them. For example while they are left holding the bag for three years of losses and players come and go as they please without risk. Maybe it should be that duringthose three years players should be contractually obliged to pay $15 a month sub. to even it out. Assuming that woudl be included in the contract.

But person to person, what brings them back and put their anxiety at ease varies but some semblence of not shutting down pretty suddenly in one way or another would probably have to be in the works for many if NCSOFT did bring the game back

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 06:53:40 PM »
Simple question:

If CoH was resurrected by any company (excluding NCSoft), would you be will to pay a subscription fee to play knowing that the company or companies who brought it back would have to expend resources to exhume it from the NCSoft graveyard?

I would.

Pay a subscription, in order to get my beloved alts back? Are you serious? I would probably empty out my retirement account, to get my hands on my alts again. But only to get back what I lost at shutdown - to have to reroll from day 1, I would pay a sub fee only.

I don't think this is going to happen, though, so I derail from that mindset and start wondering what the CoT avatar-builder is gonna be like. I don't want to worry about losing my people again for a long, long time - and that would always be at the front of my mind, were CoX to reopen. I would be dreading the headman's axe every day.

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 09:52:04 PM »
I wouldn't expect them to agree to three years of losses either but it's a point to negotiate on.  I'm quite certain they'd have conditions they'd want to bring to the table as well.  Like I said at the end,  everything's negotiable.    :)
No Surrender!

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 10:01:06 PM »
I wouldn't expect them to agree to three years of losses either but it's a point to negotiate on.  I'm quite certain they'd have conditions they'd want to bring to the table as well.  Like I said at the end,  everything's negotiable.    :)

Indeed.  :D

Terwyn

• Plan Z: Business/Marketing Lead
  • Elite Boss
    • Missing Worlds
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 10:04:54 PM »
Depends heavily on who brought it back.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
- Albert Einstein

http://missingworlds.wordpress.com

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 01:25:08 AM »
Of course I would.  Who wouldn't?  I played CoH all 8 years for a fee I don't see a reason not to again.  Why has everyone become so anti-monthly fee.  At least when there were monthly fees we were getting finished games and F2P you actually spend more money monthly on crap from the market then you do on a monthly fee.  People didn't waive monthly fees out of the kindness of their heart.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 02:02:36 AM »
Of course I would.  Who wouldn't?  I played CoH all 8 years for a fee I don't see a reason not to again.  Why has everyone become so anti-monthly fee.  At least when there were monthly fees we were getting finished games and F2P you actually spend more money monthly on crap from the market then you do on a monthly fee.  People didn't waive monthly fees out of the kindness of their heart.
yup.

Although I seen a lot of people claim after F2P they didn't spend another dime in game. Looking back not sure if that was good or bad or neutral in hindsight.

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 03:05:48 AM »
As I said in my letters to Disney and Google - I was never anything but a paid subscriber to CoH and had no plans to cancel my subscription ever.  Though I did always wait for Nov - Dec for them to announce their annual "buy 12 get 14 months" subscription deal before renewing.   :)

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2013, 03:13:14 AM »
Although I seen a lot of people claim after F2P they didn't spend another dime in game. Looking back not sure if that was good or bad or neutral in hindsight.
Are you kidding, I spent at least $1,000 more after F2P came out.  My biggest complaint about CoH before that was not being able to catch up on veteran rewards.  Then F2P and its rewards tree came out - I promptly dropped like $500 or so on the market and bribed my way up to Tier 9 as fast I could; finally I had all the goodies.  Remote market access was my #1 fave - that came in so handy.  You could be at the rear end of the shadow shards and buying and selling to heart's content.  Combined with a portable crafting table, those were killer abilities.  More than once I remember being out in the middle of nowhere and someone needed some new enhancements in a hurry after leveling up while we were on mishes.  I call up the market, buy the recipes and salvage, summon my portable crafting table and hand them over.  Awesome beyond words.  Especially fun when someone got a purple drop and wanted to slot it immediately.

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2013, 03:35:32 AM »
I call up the market, buy the recipes and salvage, summon my portable crafting table and hand them over.  Awesome beyond words.  Especially fun when someone got a purple drop and wanted to slot it immediately.
You probably have some idea of how badly i wished things like the crafting table became account-wide unlocks when you got it on one character. i cycled through far too many alts for repeatedly unlocking it to be worth it to me. Although for about a year my Night Widow on Virtue was my main crafting and salvage harvesting alt, so for her it was worth it. Mostly because i used her in AE to get rare salvage. My main source of purple recipes was my Dark/Electric Brute whose pathological hatred of Rikti lead to many long evenings rampaging through the RWZ getting a suprisingly large number of purple drops.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2013, 04:13:08 AM »
Are you kidding, I spent at least $1,000 more after F2P came out.  My biggest complaint about CoH before that was not being able to catch up on veteran rewards.  Then F2P and its rewards tree came out - I promptly dropped like $500 or so on the market and bribed my way up to Tier 9 as fast I could; finally I had all the goodies.  Remote market access was my #1 fave - that came in so handy.  You could be at the rear end of the shadow shards and buying and selling to heart's content.  Combined with a portable crafting table, those were killer abilities.  More than once I remember being out in the middle of nowhere and someone needed some new enhancements in a hurry after leveling up while we were on mishes.  I call up the market, buy the recipes and salvage, summon my portable crafting table and hand them over.  Awesome beyond words.  Especially fun when someone got a purple drop and wanted to slot it immediately.

I wish I was kidding. smh. 

Handing out recipes to those in need? You seemed like a cool person in the game. Many people get stingy and snarky when it comes to "handing out freebies". They  rather sell at highest price possible on the market to add to their billions than hand anything over to a newbie especially. As they used to say " stop looking for hand outs and put in the work, newb." Although I heard people went on a give away spree towards the end.

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2013, 04:42:58 AM »
I wish I was kidding. smh. 

Handing out recipes to those in need? You seemed like a cool person in the game. Many people get stingy and snarky when it comes to "handing out freebies". They  rather sell at highest price possible on the market to add to their billions than hand anything over to a newbie especially. As they used to say " stop looking for hand outs and put in the work, newb." Although I heard people went on a give away spree towards the end.
Ok, those people were jerks.  I preferred to be helpful if I could.  By the last year of the game I'd kitted out all my primary characters and had like 10 to 20 billion INF spread around between all my alts.  I didn't see a reason not to be generous with it.

Iron-Emerald

• Minion
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2013, 04:47:48 AM »
I spent wayyyy more after the game went F2P. Part of it was that I only started the game a couple of years before the end and liked the idea of getting more tokens to unlock some of the neat extras my friends who started at beta had. But most of it was because I got a little bit addicted to Superpacks. I'm quite sad that even if the game comes back I probably won't have any way to get my stacks of nifty goodies from there back. And I enjoyed making use of the team inspirations for tough battles, and giving doubles of the special enhancements I got away to friends...

But yeah, I'd happily pay for this game again. I guess it would depend again on who released it. But honestly, even if NCSoft said they were bringing it back for 3 months only I'd probably play for those 3 months. :p Only starting a couple of years from the end and being relatively casual there was still so much content I hadn't done.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2013, 05:35:06 AM »
Ok, those people were jerks.  I preferred to be helpful if I could.  By the last year of the game I'd kitted out all my primary characters and had like 10 to 20 billion INF spread around between all my alts.  I didn't see a reason not to be generous with it.
I have been both the recipient and ninja donator of enhancements and recipes many times. It's fun to give those things away. Especially the more rare ones.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Floride

• Elite Boss
  • Badgehunter Extraordinaire
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2013, 06:00:32 AM »
I've said before, I'd be torn if CoH came back.
Giving this much dough (and investing this much hope) to MWM, I would not abandon them.
I mean, I would not want to abandon them, but...
No no no, I would not abandon them. But on the other hand...
AAAGH!

History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2013, 06:03:06 AM »
From a pragmatic standpoint, it depends on who is doing the offering. Trading one overlord for another is no use for any of us. Even worse would be an effort to squeeze every last dime out of CoH fans, which is what would happen with any effort with a pocket book even large enough to consider the purchase. The only practical solution would be with a multifaceted company, like Disney or Google, which could leverage the full value of the property. Another game company, it would just be a matter of time before we wound up here again I fear. Even worse, if a company just bought the rights in order to push their own projects or ideas on to the community, like what happened with Mechwarrior Online. Buying an existing IP to then exploit the community associated with it, a shameful act, but all too common.