Author Topic: ETA on Icon 1.8?  (Read 10769 times)

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
ETA on Icon 1.8?
« on: October 09, 2013, 05:01:39 AM »
Not sure where to ask this so here goes. Do we have an ETA on Icon 1.8?

I'm asking because I have a buddy, not computer literate, who is coming to town and I was hoping to get the latest and greatest installed on his System.

Also, I am guessing, (just guessing) that 1.8 might be the last iteration for some time. I am mainly basing this on something Codewalker said about the space in the EXE getting tight. I would like to get it installed on his laptop, show him how to use it and then he should be set.

So any ideas?
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

PSI-on

• Ψ
  • Elite Boss
Re: ETA on Icon 1.8?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 05:58:01 AM »
I would also love to hear some news on the subject
Please don't send blind requests in games to me, I learned to ignore them in CoX, no offense meant. (this is only here until I can figure out how to put it in my actual profile on here.)

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 08:06:41 AM »
There's no given ETA. We know Codewalker has more important things on his plate, some of which you would actually find preferable to him working on Icon.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

PSI-on

• Ψ
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 08:42:58 AM »
oooh, sounds secret.

There's no given ETA. We know Codewalker has more important things on his plate, some of which you would actually find preferable to him working on Icon.
Please don't send blind requests in games to me, I learned to ignore them in CoX, no offense meant. (this is only here until I can figure out how to put it in my actual profile on here.)

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 01:15:45 PM »
When it's done.

Space in the EXE really isn't an issue anymore as of... 1.5 I think... when Icon started allocating extra space in the COH process to copy code into instead of trying to find unimportant things to replace.

2.0 will switch to DLL injection instead, which will drive your antivirus crazy but makes things easier so I don't have to hand-code all of it in assembly.

wyldhunt

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 11:51:57 PM »
"When it's done" sounds fantastic, Codewalker. Again, thank you for all that you've done already!
Wyldhunt
Guardianite since I2
Playing as Wyldhaunt on Rebirth

damienray

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 12:11:08 AM »
2.0 ? Oooooo, Ahhhhh !

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 04:56:14 AM »
Thanks for the reply. 

No worries. I'll just install what's available for him then. Glad to hear it's all working out.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

Scendera

• Boss
  • Faith Manages.
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 08:24:14 AM »
2.0 will switch to DLL injection instead, which will drive your antivirus crazy but makes things easier so I don't have to hand-code all of it in assembly.

Get folks who might be active members at the various AV forums to start getting it on the "known false positives" lists, then. When it comes time I can handle the Clamwin/ClamAV stuff, possibly.

mobbyg

• Minion
  • Ultra Knight Lives!!
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 12:37:16 AM »
When it's done.

That's a very "Amiga" answer... A fellow 'Miggy user? LOL

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 12:39:18 AM »
We can be pretty certain he doesn't work for Elbox.

RockLeeXIII

• Minion
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2013, 06:16:03 AM »
Dear Santa

I've been a good boy this year and what i would really like for xmas is the next version of Icon :)
Please santa ... help codewalker in for filling not on my xmas wish but others as well ...

thank you in advance
RockLeeXIII

themamboman

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2013, 11:17:28 PM »

Instead of injection, you might consider using SetWindowsHookEx with the first parameter being WH_CBT.  That's what Fraps, Taksi, and EpicRewind use to attach to processes, and antivirus and anti-cheat programs tend not to complain.  Of course that attaches the DLL to all running processes, so EpicRewind tends to check to see which process it is attached to using GetModuleFileName().  If it isn't the target game, it unloads.

Just a thought.

That's a very "Amiga" answer... A fellow 'Miggy user? LOL

I think the appropriate response is:  "It will be ready in two weeks", which in the Amiga world, can be decades.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2013, 12:14:07 AM »
"When it's done" is standard developer speak.

It means we don't want to give a date that we might have to change. Not knocking it, just clarifying for those who might not know. I've heard it a bunch times about different projects.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2013, 01:51:52 AM »

Sounds intriguing...

Azrael.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2013, 01:57:48 AM »
Speaking of refinements to Icon.

I wonder if that will mean being able to save the wiki page binds for for NPC generation...mov...and location pop menus?

Or can you do this already so you don't have to put them in each time you load Icon?

Any tool for moving the NPCs directly like you can with the detach camera?

I really like the developer mode where you can see all the 'lollipop' stands for NPC placement during the game.  I guess they're procedurally generated according to the codes 'lolly' stick placement. 

A great tool, Icon.  Kudos on it's development at all stages.  If offers hope.  It shows what can be done to keep the game alive.

It's nice to be able to generate alts using the 'stand alone' char' generator and take screen shots again...

Azrael.

Ice Trix

• Boss
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2013, 12:29:22 AM »
You should be able to keybind the loading of popmenus and then save the keybinds. Is that what you are asking?

e.g.

/bind shift+m popmenu npcs
/bindsave

Note: This assumes your popmenus are in \data\texts\English\menus folder
Change Shift+M for key of your choice, and npcs.menu for popmenu of your choice.

You can also replace the existing (and useless) popmenu by renaming a popmenu to "quickchat.mnu" in that folder.

goodtime

• Boss
    • my videos
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2013, 09:04:55 PM »
You should be able to keybind the loading of popmenus and then save the keybinds. Is that what you are asking?
I believe saving keybinds only works when you've run an installer for the game, not just DL or copied it.    Presumably the engine is looking for an environment variable for the install directory.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2013, 01:07:08 AM »
I believe saving keybinds only works when you've run an installer for the game, not just DL or copied it.    Presumably the engine is looking for an environment variable for the install directory.

No, the game doesn't use or care about anything the installer did. For years I "installed" the game just by copying it -- installing from the CD and downloading mountains of patches on top of that just seemed silly.

The only thing it cares about is the current directory when you start it. If you're having trouble with saving key bind files, you probably have it under C:\Program Files and are being bitten by UAC. I recommend moving it elsewhere.

goodtime

• Boss
    • my videos
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2013, 09:39:45 PM »
No, the game doesn't use or care about anything the installer did. For years I "installed" the game just by copying it -- installing from the CD and downloading mountains of patches on top of that just seemed silly.

The only thing it cares about is the current directory when you start it. If you're having trouble with saving key bind files, you probably have it under C:\Program Files and are being bitten by UAC. I recommend moving it elsewhere.
Yes, I did the copy thing many times, too. Later on, I'd install the downloader, start that, which then ran the launcher that created the folders, stop the game download, copy the game files from another computer, then re-run the launcher.   

As it is right now, my installed copy will load and save bind files normally, the copy i have in c:\games\i24\City of Heroes does not.