Author Topic: The Big Giant Icon Thread  (Read 202711 times)

batqueen

• Boss
  • [flap flap]
Re: The Big Giant Icon Thread
« Reply #920 on: June 08, 2013, 03:04:35 AM »
Funny,  I used to be on my way somewhere, and stop and beat the tar out of a group of greys, because- 5 guys against one little old lady? really?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 04:43:14 AM by batqueen »

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #921 on: June 08, 2013, 06:05:18 AM »
Funny,  I used to be on my way somewhere, and stop and beat the tar out of a group of greys, because- 5 guys against one little old lady? really?

I think a lot of people did that, I know I did. We were heroes after all, it's what we did. Didn't matter that we got no experience or reward of any kind, but that wasn't the point. We did it because it was the "heroic" and "right" thing to do.

Or it was because we were simply bored, and wanted to see how far across Atlas Park/how high we could punch a Hellion with a knock-back/up power 6-slotted for knock-back... :P

æhæd

• Underling
  • Oh! Really?
« Reply #922 on: June 08, 2013, 01:51:33 PM »
Thanks Christopher Robin for pointing me back here today, and thank you wonderful people for restoring my Secret Garden  :-*. Flying around solo in random maps is actually all that I need. I feel so at peace suddenly.

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #923 on: June 08, 2013, 02:12:19 PM »
Well, I copied my costumes over to the new beta file, and then it stopped letting me enter the game. So I re-downloaded, and now I am in an endless Tiaxti loop. Trying to open the files merely returns me to Tiaxti, which says I have already downloaded the file. Trying to drag the folder icon onto my desktop just gets me an error message.

Guess this isn't for me, but I will continue to enjoy the issue 23 version.

Golden Ace

• Boss
  • Moon Zone Damn it!
« Reply #924 on: June 08, 2013, 02:13:38 PM »
Didn't matter that we got no experience or reward of any kind, but that wasn't the point. We did it because it was the "heroic" and "right" thing to do.

Ah this brings me back.  Sappers.  I had a special bind for sappers. I would constantly press it while flying through a zone where sappers were known to be.  when one came into my sites I would fly half a zone to get to him and hit him with my holds, and only my holds. slowly letting him stay there frozen unable to do anything while his health slowly whittles away to nothing. NOBODY DOES THAT TO ME YOU HEAR ME SAPPERS??!!!!  Yeah I probably killed thousands of them that way over the years.

malonkey1

• Elite Boss
  • A person who does stuff.
« Reply #925 on: June 08, 2013, 02:59:33 PM »
you need "/spawn_npc <NPC_Model_Name> <NPC name>"

two parameters, first the name of the model, then the name that hovers over it when you target it.
BadWolf: "The point that JaguarX is trying to make, of course, is that City of Heroes is like a tree. And Google is like a Toyota...Corolla...? Which would make NCSoft a trespasser, shot by...um, Mister T...which is good, because diplomacy...?"

The internet is full of Comedy Gold.

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #926 on: June 08, 2013, 05:38:02 PM »
Ah this brings me back.  Sappers.  I had a special bind for sappers. I would constantly press it while flying through a zone where sappers were known to be.  when one came into my sites I would fly half a zone to get to him and hit him with my holds, and only my holds. slowly letting him stay there frozen unable to do anything while his health slowly whittles away to nothing. NOBODY DOES THAT TO ME YOU HEAR ME SAPPERS??!!!!  Yeah I probably killed thousands of them that way over the years.

I had that bind too, but also incorporated into it the terms "Cyst" "Void" and "Quantum" for when I was playing on my Kheldians. Had a bunch of instances when teaming where I almost needed to disable the bind because one of my teammates had Quantum in their name, and I had for whatever reason forgotten about the bind, which made me continuously target them every time I hit my Tab key to target the next enemy... Using Tab targeting spoils you for those instances that you have to manually target enemies mid-fight with your mouse...

"Dagnabbit Quantum Hero! Why do I keep targeting you!?" >:(

Blackmoor

• Underling
« Reply #927 on: June 08, 2013, 08:08:48 PM »
Well, I copied my costumes over to the new beta file, and then it stopped letting me enter the game. So I re-downloaded, and now I am in an endless Tiaxti loop. Trying to open the files merely returns me to Tiaxti, which says I have already downloaded the file. Trying to drag the folder icon onto my desktop just gets me an error message.

Guess this isn't for me, but I will continue to enjoy the issue 23 version.

You're clearly doing something wrong, but don't give up! The fact that you were previously able to launch icon from the i24 folder says that you were initially on the right track.

"Well, I copied my costumes over to the new beta file, and then it stopped letting me enter the game."

If you simply copied the "costumes" folder from your i23 folder to the new i24 folder, this wouldn't be happening.

Make sure that you still have a full "costumes" folder in your i23 client folder, and then delete everything i24. Then, download the i24 client using BitTorrent instead. :)

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #928 on: June 08, 2013, 09:36:31 PM »
You're clearly doing something wrong, but don't give up! The fact that you were previously able to launch icon from the i24 folder says that you were initially on the right track.

"Well, I copied my costumes over to the new beta file, and then it stopped letting me enter the game."

If you simply copied the "costumes" folder from your i23 folder to the new i24 folder, this wouldn't be happening.

Make sure that you still have a full "costumes" folder in your i23 client folder, and then delete everything i24. Then, download the i24 client using BitTorrent instead. :)

Yeah, this.

Illusionss, what operating system do you have, if you know?

Windows XP? Windows 7? Mac?

:)
I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder

Waiting for an invitation to arrive
Goin' to a party where no one's still alive

Wulfrich

• Underling
« Reply #929 on: June 08, 2013, 10:56:17 PM »
Thank you codewalker for doing this.

Spineshank

• Underling
« Reply #930 on: June 08, 2013, 10:56:30 PM »
First of all, thanks for all of the hard work and dedication that went into this. I've been 'spottily' following this from the beginning, and it's came a long, long way. Just being able to fly around the city once again has taken the edge off. As many others have said, there's been nothing out there, nor will there likely ever be, to fill that void.

Anyways, have 2 questions. I'll apologize now, as I'm sure they've already been answered, but Search has failed me, and sifting through so many pages seems silly when I can ask someone to reiterate.

1) A while back, we were able to use a 'Dev' version of the costume creator to utilize some of the awesome pieces that were never made available. Is/will there be an icon release to accommodate a 'Dev' version?

2) Is there a way to wield weapons, like a sword or shield? Would love to get some shots of some toons that are "battle-ready"

Thanks again guys, keep up the great work.

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #931 on: June 08, 2013, 11:10:51 PM »
1) A while back, we were able to use a 'Dev' version of the costume creator to utilize some of the awesome pieces that were never made available. Is/will there be an icon release to accommodate a 'Dev' version?

2) Is there a way to wield weapons, like a sword or shield? Would love to get some shots of some toons that are "battle-ready"

Thanks again guys, keep up the great work.

1) See the below:
Quote from: Codewalker
NPC Edit Mode

To launch the game in NPC Edit mode, you need to run Icon with a -n switch.

On Windows, the easiest way to do that is to create a shortcut to icon.exe (right click on icon.exe and use "Create Shortcut"). Once its created, right click on the shortcut and go to properties.

In the first box, "Target", go to the VERY end of the line, after everything else. Add a space, then type -n

Hit OK. You can then rename the shortcut so that you know it's for the NPC editing version, or move it to your desktop if you want.

The above instructions work with the latest Icon version.

2) Not as far as I know. Your shield might show up, but not sure. Weapons only appear when you get into the battle pose.

However, they could possibly show up if you use a weapon related MOV.

I'll go try it.

EDIT: Doesn't seem to work very good. The animations activate, but aren't consistent/steady/they don't stay with your weapon out.

Still unsure about shields.

???
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 11:49:11 PM by Arachnion »
I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder

Waiting for an invitation to arrive
Goin' to a party where no one's still alive

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #932 on: June 09, 2013, 12:03:48 AM »
I find I quite creepy to use the "noclip" command and get under the cities. Usually you can find some of the indoor rooms down around there and I one flew down towards a huge blue box an turned out to be the arena lobby.

Or to fly down inside City Hall and see the mirror version they used for the reflection in the floor.

Spineshank

• Underling
« Reply #933 on: June 09, 2013, 12:34:28 AM »
Awesome, thanks for the info Arachnion.

Didn't even think to try the NPC Edit mode with this version. As for the weapons, I can deal without those. As stated, just being able to run around is awesome enough.

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #934 on: June 09, 2013, 02:20:20 AM »
Or to fly down inside City Hall and see the mirror version they used for the reflection in the floor.

I always thought that was one of the cleverest graphical "tricks" in the game, and it was nice the way they kept it even after adding reflective textures in I18.
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #935 on: June 09, 2013, 03:54:59 AM »
I always thought that was one of the cleverest graphical "tricks" in the game, and it was nice the way they kept it even after adding reflective textures in I18.

Also made for a great glitch where if you targeted your teleport circle just the right way you could teleport down there. I remember hearing about people having to petition a GM to get them out since it didn't work both ways.

Got fixed of course at some point.

Just like the one time in Grandville after a patch they forgot the doors on the main building so no one could get in.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #936 on: June 09, 2013, 04:28:29 AM »
Just like the one time in Grandville after a patch they forgot the doors on the main building so no one could get in.
I respec'd one of my off-toons into recall friend for that. I played Taxibot for a few hours ferrying people in and out of the tower :)

edit: speelink...I don't know how you plaid a Taxibot.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Insatiable One

• Underling
« Reply #937 on: June 09, 2013, 04:57:37 AM »
ok i was able to load map yesterday and today i cant.  i reinstalled to see if that cleared it up.  f1 also never worked for me.   but /loadmap_prompt brought up the interface wher ei coul denter a map location previously, but it doesnt do that anymore.  any suggestions?

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #938 on: June 09, 2013, 09:07:01 AM »
edit: speelink...I don't know how you plaid a Taxibot.

...Multiclass him as a lumberjack?

malonkey1

• Elite Boss
  • A person who does stuff.
« Reply #939 on: June 09, 2013, 02:00:25 PM »
...Multiclass him as a lumberjack?

Oh, I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay; I sleep all night and I work all day...
BadWolf: "The point that JaguarX is trying to make, of course, is that City of Heroes is like a tree. And Google is like a Toyota...Corolla...? Which would make NCSoft a trespasser, shot by...um, Mister T...which is good, because diplomacy...?"

The internet is full of Comedy Gold.