Author Topic: FF14 ARR  (Read 9677 times)

Botzo

• Minion
Re: FF14 ARR
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2013, 01:18:36 AM »
I was running around on Faire the other day myself, when I ran into a Free Company called COHH, and I was sad to find they just were related to a livestreamer. I must say though, I am highly enjoying this game when I do get the time to play. It's kinda nice that the PC players can play with PS3 users. While I miss the travel powers from CoH, I am enjoying the fact that the story makes YOU the main character and not just a random person running around. Kinda the same feeling that the newer CoH content gave you while working down the incarnates path.

Everfreefire

• Boss
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2013, 04:00:05 AM »
It's been my hope that once a server is decided on, we'd make a Free company with CoH as what was shown to people. We'll see if that happens.
/em raises a glass. "Next year in the Ski Chalet!"
"Scrappers might not exist any more, but scrapperlock is forever."   -Kaiser Tarantula

SentaiRed

• Underling
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2013, 09:06:47 PM »
I made a character on Cactuar just because of the server name. Cactuar is probably my favorite iconic FF monster. I would totally make a character on a different server to be a part of this CoH Free Company, but this game seems to deter me from making characters, and my altitis was as bad as anyone's in City of.. There's like a million years of Cutscenes that are unskippable right after you create your character.

Reiraku

• Boss
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2013, 09:57:17 PM »
The former official (and currently pseudo-official) RP server for NA/EU is on Balmung. Gilgamesh was picked as well, but because a lot of other online communities rolled on Gil, it's much harder to get onto.

If anyone else is on Balmung and you see Lorraine Frosthill, say hi! She's big and has an axe. Can't miss her.

Everfreefire

• Boss
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2013, 05:28:41 AM »
I'm on Balmung as well, Aurora Vlondett, currently a kitten with a book.
"Scrappers might not exist any more, but scrapperlock is forever."   -Kaiser Tarantula

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2013, 05:51:14 AM »
So now that this is actually out... is it any good? As someone who loved pretty much anything about CoH and someone who greatly dislikes WoW and everything it and other games like it are, what am I likely to like or not like about this game and am I likely to like it overall? Mostly just asking because a couple of friends keep bugging me to get it and I want to know before spending money on it if I'm likely to be there past the first month.

Reiraku

• Boss
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2013, 06:24:50 AM »
Gameplay and mechanics wise, it's a lot closer to WoW than CoH. That said, I'm enjoying it a lot. You can solo at your own pace, and teaming is easy with the duty finder. Also, the story does a great job of making you feel like the central part of the plot.

DBadger

• Lieutenant
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2013, 11:17:40 AM »
So now that this is actually out... is it any good? As someone who loved pretty much anything about CoH and someone who greatly dislikes WoW and everything it and other games like it are, what am I likely to like or not like about this game and am I likely to like it overall? Mostly just asking because a couple of friends keep bugging me to get it and I want to know before spending money on it if I'm likely to be there past the first month.

Personally I don't like it, a few of the little niggles I had.

The main story (which you need to advance to unlock certain options) forces you at points to use the Duty finder to do group instances in order to advance. I don't mind doing dungeons etc, but when I want rather than when the devs think I should.

Using quest items or handing them is very fiddly.

The crafting is very slow and forces you to level up other crafts in order to actually be able to make the stuff you want

The first 20 levels is basically a very dull tutorial, expect to run around talking to people a lot, while generally wearing awful outfits.

I have friends that are loving it, but they tend to be people that were heavily invested in Final Fantasy in some way in the past. It seems more a game for FF fans than it is for MMO fans.

I couldn't justify paying for a sub for it, not my kind of game at all.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2013, 04:35:38 PM »
There's like a million years of Cutscenes that are unskippable right after you create your character.
Unfortunately, that's one they didn't make skippable. One of the stupidest choices ever. The scene is exactly the same no matter what class/race you're playing and has only a couple different dialog lines that make no impact on anything other than the very next dialog line. There's no reason to not allow skipping it. *fist shake*
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Everfreefire

• Boss
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2013, 09:44:55 PM »
Actually, there is another small difference.

When you choose why you decided to become an adventurer, it affects the ring that you get later from him.

It's a minor difference, but it still does something.

I'm tempted if I have spare time to make 8 copies of the same person just to see how many differences your choices make. Obviously I know the first choice changes things, but does the second?

Note: I'm not saying this excuses the inability to skip it. Well, can't skip part of it. You can skip the first part and the part where the voiceover starts up. I'm just saying it does have a small use. No idea if "Is this your first time in [city]?" actually affects anything.

I have friends that are loving it, but they tend to be people that were heavily invested in Final Fantasy in some way in the past. It seems more a game for FF fans than it is for MMO fans.

I won't deny that at all. I'm having a blast, but then again Final Fantasy is easily my favorite game series.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 10:20:35 PM by Everfreefire »

Everfreefire

• Boss
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2013, 10:47:31 AM »
I know it's been a bit since anyone has posted in here, so I figured I may as well toss in a small update.

Even with the potential world transfers coming at some point, I am personally going to stick with Balmung. Figured with most of my friends there, it made little sense to move away.

I took the liberty of making a LS, named it CoH. Right now, since I just made it, I'm the only one in it, but anyone on Balmung is more than welcome to toss me a tell for an invite. Name's Aurora Vlondett.

Granted, anyone on Balmung can toss me a tell for just about anything, really. I'll help if I can.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2013, 01:51:45 AM »
I have stopped playing to me ffxiv is not there quite yet.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Everfreefire

• Boss
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2013, 08:07:50 AM »
That's fine. I expect to be playing for a long while, so if you come back and happen to be on Balmung, let me know.