Author Topic: FF14 ARR  (Read 9808 times)

China Doll

• Minion
FF14 ARR
« on: August 15, 2013, 02:34:40 PM »
Hello all, just wondering if anyone has planned on making a CoH Free Company in FF14...

Been playing since phase 3 beta and seems like Gilgamesh is a very popular server with reddit players and such keeping it active.

Looking forward to be playing with fellow heroes again..

Look me up in Gilgamesh... I'll be working on my White Mage Holy Prophet.

Shenku

• Elite Boss
Re: FF14 ARR
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 03:17:24 PM »
Kind of off topic but related, but I played FF11 once, and didn't really care for it, and I've been meaning to give 14 a try but haven't because of my experience with 11, so I haven't really even looked into the game before... Is 14 any better, or is it basically just a reskinned version of 11? I might be tempted into trying it if someone can sell me on it, and at least this way I'll know which server to aim for to find some like-minded individuals...

I think my biggest gripe with 11 was that I was playing on the Xbox 360 version, which seemed to have some sever graphical distortion bugs at the time, or at least I think they were bugs... All the human/elf characters looked okay in intro cinematics when picking your race, but in game their proportions were stretched in odd ways that were not shown in those cinematics(super long "nope.avi" style necks and arms, slightly shorter torsos, exc.).. All the other races displayed fine, only the elves and humans were distorted, and I could never figure out why, so I just chose to not play them...

China Doll

• Minion
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 04:16:57 PM »
I nvr played FF 11...or the orginal 14. But from what I have read Yoshi did a total revision of the game by starting from scratch even bringing in a new Dev. team.

Here is a link that has great footage about the game even the character creator...to bad it's Japanese but it's still nice to look at and listen to the music ;)

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JL6UtZxJcYY&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DJL6UtZxJcYY

Everfreefire

• Boss
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 10:32:08 PM »
Having played both, I would have to say they are different, namely in the fact that leveling is less grinding enemies that could easily kill you solo at even level and more question/dungeons for exp. If you need more specifics, I can try to help, but I wouldn't say I'm the best person to explain.

I've never really tried comparing them.
/em raises a glass. "Next year in the Ski Chalet!"
"Scrappers might not exist any more, but scrapperlock is forever."   -Kaiser Tarantula

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 03:21:58 AM »
I plan on playing ff14 :). got the collectors ed. if we have  a server to play I would like to join
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 04:19:26 AM »
I nvr played FF 11...or the orginal 14. But from what I have read Yoshi did a total revision of the game by starting from scratch even bringing in a new Dev. team.

Here is a link that has great footage about the game even the character creator...to bad it's Japanese but it's still nice to look at and listen to the music ;)

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JL6UtZxJcYY&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DJL6UtZxJcYY

So... Final Fantasy XIV: NGE, essentially? Was the game really so bad they needed to scrap it and start over? Because that's what it sounds like, though as I said, I haven't really looked into the game before, so I'm not sure if I'm understanding this correctly... ???

primeknight

• Boss
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 11:24:13 PM »
Hi,

I've currently got a character on server: Ultros.  I'm currently planning on playing with my wife, my brother, and my brother's best friend.  Anyone here is welcome to join me.  I'll wait to post my character until after I know it gets transferred from beta to the fully released game.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 11:40:46 PM »
what class is everyone going to play as? me I am going to play as a monk until ninja comes out

Everfreefire

• Boss
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 12:00:54 AM »
So... Final Fantasy XIV: NGE, essentially? Was the game really so bad they needed to scrap it and start over? Because that's what it sounds like, though as I said, I haven't really looked into the game before, so I'm not sure if I'm understanding this correctly... ???

No idea what you mean by NGE, but by all appearances, yes, the game was so bad that they pretty much reworked it completely.

Hi,

I've currently got a character on server: Ultros.  I'm currently planning on playing with my wife, my brother, and my brother's best friend.  Anyone here is welcome to join me.  I'll wait to post my character until after I know it gets transferred from beta to the fully released game.

It's supposed to, but I'd still wait, since apparently we've yet again broken the servers when a beta test starts. It seems to be this running theme.

what class is everyone going to play as? me I am going to play as a monk until ninja comes out

Really depends on who I play with and what they play as. Though the temptation to make a Pugilist or Marauder and name it Scrapper Lock is almost too much, just for entertainment value.
"Scrappers might not exist any more, but scrapperlock is forever."   -Kaiser Tarantula

Reiraku

• Boss
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 01:53:05 AM »

Kind of, but more like NGE and CU in reverse. The original 14 was so bad, SE stopped charging sub fees for over a year until they could make it a game worth paying for. When they didn't work, they decided to do the etch-a-sketch restart on the game.

China Doll

• Minion
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 02:37:15 AM »
Hey Primenight...I decided to go on ultros also since Gilgamesh was closed...I'm curently a lvl 15 conjure working towards white mage.

If people wanna make a CoH free compnay on Ultros i'm game

Look me up when early release opens up next weekend my toons name is Holy Prophet

Cya all soon I hope ;)

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 03:01:23 AM »
No idea what you mean by NGE,

It was a reference to what happened with Star Wars Galaxies, where SOE did something similar, but it was because they wanted to make the game "easier and more fun" for new players by throwing the entirety of their existing player base under the bus, then after refused to admit it was a bad idea. The game as it was prior to NGE or New Game Enhancements, was actually doing pretty good if I recall correctly, and while not perfect, it wasn't bad enough to warrant a complete overhaul, but SOE pushed it though anyways...

Everfreefire

• Boss
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 09:08:47 AM »
Then no, this is nothing like NGE. This was taking something apparently broken completely and rehauling it so it works.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 07:01:52 PM »
im hoping to play on either the phoenix or one that we agree on :)

China Doll

• Minion
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2013, 09:14:47 PM »
Pre-order access starts on Saturday... I'll be on Ultros as Holy Prophet

So if anyone else decides to make Ultros their home, we can make the best Free Company on that server and represent CoH at the same time  :)

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2013, 10:46:16 PM »
Pre-order access starts on Saturday... I'll be on Ultros as Holy Prophet

So if anyone else decides to make Ultros their home, we can make the best Free Company on that server and represent CoH at the same time  :)
awesome, ill be named angel phoenix the elf :)

Everfreefire

• Boss
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2013, 06:29:19 AM »
As of right now the plan is to end up on Gilgamesh for me, but that is subject to change at any time.

China Doll

• Minion
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2013, 10:48:24 PM »
awesome, ill be named angel phoenix the elf :)

Kewl...Is that first name Angel and surname Phoenix  :P

As of right now the plan is to end up on Gilgamesh for me, but that is subject to change at any time.

I had plans to be on Gilgamesh first...but found out its going to be the Reddit server and I don't wanna have to be in a long queue every time i wanna log on and play.

Also Ultros has a lot of Neogame players that r Legacy worthy and r willing to help out the newbies  :)

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2013, 10:54:53 PM »
Kewl...Is that first name Angel and surname Phoenix  :P

a anagram of the 2 things I love angels and phoenix :D

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2013, 10:58:32 PM »
How can it be an anagram if it's the exact same words...? O.o;

Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

China Doll

• Minion
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2013, 11:03:41 PM »
a anagram of the 2 things I love angels and phoenix :D

The phoenix is awesome..I'll be on Saturday morning so just look me up  :) 

China Doll

• Minion
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2013, 11:13:34 PM »
We need to get at least 3 people on Saturday and meet up so we can make a CoH Free Company.

Also if people have any suggestions for names of the FC post them here.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2013, 01:55:32 AM »

The phoenix is awesome..I'll be on Saturday morning so just look me up  :)
cool ill look for your invite :)
I have a thing for phoenix, I have a statue posters, tee shirts, and such :D

Everfreefire

• Boss
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2013, 05:33:18 AM »
I had plans to be on Gilgamesh first...but found out its going to be the Reddit server and I don't wanna have to be in a long queue every time i wanna log on and play.

Now I'm curious, because I've yet to find one way or another what people have designated as the unofficial servers. Still trying to find the RP one.

Xieveral

• Chaotic Neutral
  • Boss
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2013, 06:33:31 AM »
Now I'm curious, because I've yet to find one way or another what people have designated as the unofficial servers. Still trying to find the RP one.

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/

Gilgamesh and Balmung are the unofficial RP servers for NA/EU  and I think Masamune was the unofficial RP server for JP.

As far as server population goes, both Balmung and Gilgamesh were packed to maximum capacity during open beta, its a possibility that there could be a wait or restriction on creation of new characters regardless of which you choose.

I was originally planning to be on Gilgamesh myself but it was an unpleasant experience in phase 3 and 4. In addition to being the highest population, it is also server of choice for many other communities that don't take kindly to RP or each other- I would liken it to a combination of the Moon Guard, Proudmoore and Illidan servers in WoW.

The alternative, Balmung is quieter but it is a legacy server so there are some people that like to show off and wave their e-peen around but overall, I haven't had that bad of an experience so far (my only issue was legacy jerks on Goobbue mounts blocking NPCs)

I couldn't get into Masamune during open beta but in addition to RP I think it was also the unofficial international server.
?RSN = CKN(CRS.ROD)

RSN = GLR(EMP.MCL)

Everfreefire

• Boss
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2013, 10:54:10 AM »
Thank you kindly for that link.

I had known that Balmung used to be the RP server back in 1.0, but for some reason never crossed my mind it'd stay that way.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2013, 09:34:01 PM »
update phoenix server is a eu server :(. looks like ill play on the leviathan server

Xieveral

• Chaotic Neutral
  • Boss
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2013, 12:44:22 AM »
List of servers by region (though divided by region, there are no region restrictions)
http://arrstatus.com/
?RSN = CKN(CRS.ROD)

RSN = GLR(EMP.MCL)

Everfreefire

• Boss
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2013, 09:15:25 AM »
In all seriousness is there a server that CoH players have decided to try and work on? Doesn't seem like there is a consensus yet here.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2013, 09:17:21 AM »
In all seriousness is there a server that CoH players have decided to try and work on? Doesn't seem like there is a consensus yet here.
im open for 1 :)

China Doll

• Minion
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2013, 12:37:27 PM »
im open for 1 :)

I thought we were going to do Ultros...then i see talk of Laviathon and Gilgamesh which both r going to be locked out so no chance even getting into those.

Ill be in Ultros with Holy Prophet feel free to look me up if u care to join in.

Everfreefire

• Boss
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2013, 10:17:11 PM »
I don't mind which server we do. I was just looking at Gilgamesh and Balmung because they're the RP servers.

Well, that's a nuisance. All the NA/EU servers are down for maintenance.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 11:12:27 PM by Everfreefire »

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2013, 11:43:10 PM »
I don't mind which server we do. I was just looking at Gilgamesh and Balmung because they're the RP servers.

Well, that's a nuisance. All the NA/EU servers are down for maintenance.
second time just today. 1st time right after I woke up when I had no sleep in 18 hours. now again down because the instances are were down a few hours ago

Everfreefire

• Boss
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2013, 11:45:10 PM »
I've either need asleep or at work, so I only now found out. The forums were...Unhelpful in finding out what was up.

So right now, I an on Aurora Vlondett on Balmung. I have no real issue changing servers for the moment, this just gave me both my old character and an RP server.

On second thought, unlikely I'll bother changing. I'm going to poke around once the servers come back up to figure out how to get a linkpearl going for the CoH community on Balmung. Any name in particular to go with, though?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 07:15:59 AM by Everfreefire »

Xieveral

• Chaotic Neutral
  • Boss
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2013, 07:23:00 AM »
I play as Tahlsho'a Rheen and Delainoit Merillat on Balmung

Delainoit Merillat on Masamune
?RSN = CKN(CRS.ROD)

RSN = GLR(EMP.MCL)

Everfreefire

• Boss
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2013, 10:21:55 AM »
At the rate things are going, we'd have to wait to decide where to meet up. The servers haven't been reacting well to the players again.

primeknight

• Boss
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2013, 07:51:32 PM »
Hi,

I'm successfully on Ultros.

Character name:  William Shula

So far he's a:
Lancer: Level 16
Archer: Level 10
Conjurer: Level 8
Gladiator: Level 6
Thaumaturge: Level 1

Look me up.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2013, 03:17:20 AM »
Hi,

I'm successfully on Ultros.

Character name:  William Shula

So far he's a:
Lancer: Level 16
Archer: Level 10
Conjurer: Level 8
Gladiator: Level 6
Thaumaturge: Level 1

Look me up.
what level do you get your 2nd job? so far im level12

DBadger

• Lieutenant
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2013, 08:46:31 AM »
what level do you get your 2nd job? so far im level12

It's dependent on doing the story quests, I think the actual quest is around Level 10

Everfreefire

• Boss
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2013, 10:45:18 PM »
You can access the armory system after completing the level 10 class quest. It's pretty obvious when it lets you. Your Guild leader says you can see other guilds, and there's something saying "Armory Unlocked" or something similar. Hard to miss.

Botzo

• Minion
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2013, 01:18:36 AM »
I was running around on Faire the other day myself, when I ran into a Free Company called COHH, and I was sad to find they just were related to a livestreamer. I must say though, I am highly enjoying this game when I do get the time to play. It's kinda nice that the PC players can play with PS3 users. While I miss the travel powers from CoH, I am enjoying the fact that the story makes YOU the main character and not just a random person running around. Kinda the same feeling that the newer CoH content gave you while working down the incarnates path.

Everfreefire

• Boss
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2013, 04:00:05 AM »
It's been my hope that once a server is decided on, we'd make a Free company with CoH as what was shown to people. We'll see if that happens.

SentaiRed

• Underling
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2013, 09:06:47 PM »
I made a character on Cactuar just because of the server name. Cactuar is probably my favorite iconic FF monster. I would totally make a character on a different server to be a part of this CoH Free Company, but this game seems to deter me from making characters, and my altitis was as bad as anyone's in City of.. There's like a million years of Cutscenes that are unskippable right after you create your character.

Reiraku

• Boss
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2013, 09:57:17 PM »
The former official (and currently pseudo-official) RP server for NA/EU is on Balmung. Gilgamesh was picked as well, but because a lot of other online communities rolled on Gil, it's much harder to get onto.

If anyone else is on Balmung and you see Lorraine Frosthill, say hi! She's big and has an axe. Can't miss her.

Everfreefire

• Boss
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2013, 05:28:41 AM »
I'm on Balmung as well, Aurora Vlondett, currently a kitten with a book.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2013, 05:51:14 AM »
So now that this is actually out... is it any good? As someone who loved pretty much anything about CoH and someone who greatly dislikes WoW and everything it and other games like it are, what am I likely to like or not like about this game and am I likely to like it overall? Mostly just asking because a couple of friends keep bugging me to get it and I want to know before spending money on it if I'm likely to be there past the first month.

Reiraku

• Boss
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2013, 06:24:50 AM »
Gameplay and mechanics wise, it's a lot closer to WoW than CoH. That said, I'm enjoying it a lot. You can solo at your own pace, and teaming is easy with the duty finder. Also, the story does a great job of making you feel like the central part of the plot.

DBadger

• Lieutenant
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2013, 11:17:40 AM »
So now that this is actually out... is it any good? As someone who loved pretty much anything about CoH and someone who greatly dislikes WoW and everything it and other games like it are, what am I likely to like or not like about this game and am I likely to like it overall? Mostly just asking because a couple of friends keep bugging me to get it and I want to know before spending money on it if I'm likely to be there past the first month.

Personally I don't like it, a few of the little niggles I had.

The main story (which you need to advance to unlock certain options) forces you at points to use the Duty finder to do group instances in order to advance. I don't mind doing dungeons etc, but when I want rather than when the devs think I should.

Using quest items or handing them is very fiddly.

The crafting is very slow and forces you to level up other crafts in order to actually be able to make the stuff you want

The first 20 levels is basically a very dull tutorial, expect to run around talking to people a lot, while generally wearing awful outfits.

I have friends that are loving it, but they tend to be people that were heavily invested in Final Fantasy in some way in the past. It seems more a game for FF fans than it is for MMO fans.

I couldn't justify paying for a sub for it, not my kind of game at all.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2013, 04:35:38 PM »
There's like a million years of Cutscenes that are unskippable right after you create your character.
Unfortunately, that's one they didn't make skippable. One of the stupidest choices ever. The scene is exactly the same no matter what class/race you're playing and has only a couple different dialog lines that make no impact on anything other than the very next dialog line. There's no reason to not allow skipping it. *fist shake*
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Everfreefire

• Boss
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2013, 09:44:55 PM »
Actually, there is another small difference.

When you choose why you decided to become an adventurer, it affects the ring that you get later from him.

It's a minor difference, but it still does something.

I'm tempted if I have spare time to make 8 copies of the same person just to see how many differences your choices make. Obviously I know the first choice changes things, but does the second?

Note: I'm not saying this excuses the inability to skip it. Well, can't skip part of it. You can skip the first part and the part where the voiceover starts up. I'm just saying it does have a small use. No idea if "Is this your first time in [city]?" actually affects anything.

I have friends that are loving it, but they tend to be people that were heavily invested in Final Fantasy in some way in the past. It seems more a game for FF fans than it is for MMO fans.

I won't deny that at all. I'm having a blast, but then again Final Fantasy is easily my favorite game series.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 10:20:35 PM by Everfreefire »

Everfreefire

• Boss
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2013, 10:47:31 AM »
I know it's been a bit since anyone has posted in here, so I figured I may as well toss in a small update.

Even with the potential world transfers coming at some point, I am personally going to stick with Balmung. Figured with most of my friends there, it made little sense to move away.

I took the liberty of making a LS, named it CoH. Right now, since I just made it, I'm the only one in it, but anyone on Balmung is more than welcome to toss me a tell for an invite. Name's Aurora Vlondett.

Granted, anyone on Balmung can toss me a tell for just about anything, really. I'll help if I can.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2013, 01:51:45 AM »
I have stopped playing to me ffxiv is not there quite yet.

Everfreefire

• Boss
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2013, 08:07:50 AM »
That's fine. I expect to be playing for a long while, so if you come back and happen to be on Balmung, let me know.