Author Topic: I'm kinda torn here  (Read 18288 times)

blackjak

• Elite Boss
Re: I'm kinda torn here
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2013, 01:40:23 AM »
COH was always our game because of 2 things: 1. Superheroes are awesome (include everything from story lines to powers to customization here) and 2. We were all friends and a community.

I say if you can't have a good #1 take as much #2 as you can get.

Wait....that sounds bad....

I mean if you can't have your friends in the game you really want, be with them wherever they are. **insert Stephen Stills singing "Love The One Your With"**
Virtue: Moonsun, Dynamo Jr., Crimson Fury, Sabre Kat, Double Sixxes, Quantum Stranger, Mystic Kirin, Pink.Eye Champion: Blackjak, Redwing Blackbird Justice: Shield Marshal Guardian: White Talon Triumph: Gosuto Union: Stellar Girl

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2013, 04:05:55 AM »
Stay true to yourself.

Nuff said.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 04:20:11 AM by Captain Electric »

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2013, 05:09:58 AM »
"Principles only mean something if you stick to them when it's inconvenient" or however it goes.  Note: it's not about what some people in the community believe; the question is, what does it really mean to you that NCsoft is the one running the game and then be happy with the decision you make.
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2013, 08:44:53 AM »
Note: it's not about what some people in the community believe; the question is, what does it really mean to you that NCsoft is the one running the game and then be happy with the decision you make.
And what does it really mean that you are giving NCSoft more money. :p
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2013, 09:13:53 AM »
I've spent over $1000 on CoH in the nearly 8 years I played it between subscriptions, box set, super boosters, etc.

I spent $50 on GW2.  It was on sale at the time.  I have not spent a dime buying gems for their cash shop because you can buy their proxy currency for it's cash shop with in-game currency.

If they kept CoH open, I would have spent another $100 on it by now.  Instead they got $50, and not even that because I bought it retail.

So while they are making some money on me, it's not much over those boycotting.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Tiberian Fiend

• Minion
  • Canis tiberius
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2013, 10:30:18 AM »
Anyone who gives NCSoft money is no friend.
The Titantic Tiberian Fiend

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2013, 12:42:35 AM »
Blue, only you can decide what is right for you.  For me, there are mice present in GW2 but I'm long past the age of idealism.  I'm in it for the fun, the experience, and my friends.  Do I want coh back?  You bet I do but for a boycott of ncsoft to work, you'd need virtually everyone who plays any ncsoft title to stop playing and cancel their accounts.  As much as I'd like to have that kind of support from the gaming world, we won't get it.  So I choose to see what the world has.  In some ways, some of the ideas we brought to the table  at ncsoft have made it into gw2.  Rumour has it they may make account or even toon based housing (aka 1 person SGs which was proposed to ncsoft more than once for coh).

I know that add fuel to the fire burning in some of you who'd rather see nc out of business than play their games.  If coh comes back, I'd rejoin it.  But I'm not going to let a bad decision at ncsoft stop me from enjoying other games even if they are ncsoft titles as well.  But, I will never again put that much of myself into those toons.

btw:  Golden Girl, the mice would like to know what's the bounty on Lady Vamp and the other traitors.   ;)
No Surrender!

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2013, 12:57:25 AM »
I say go for it if it feel right for you. Life is there to enjoy and dont let anyone any company any body stop ya. On the same token, dont betray the principles that are important. Friends are friends, and true friendship is not limited by a game or anyone activity. There are plenty of things my friends like to do but I dont enjoy thus I dont partake and see them on the flip side. If your principles say dont give ncsoft another dime, then do not give in to the urge to give them more money.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2013, 02:33:21 AM »
Just don't spend money in the gem store if your concern is giving NCSoft money, which seems to be the communities concern.  $50 where part of it goes to Arenanet isn't going to help NCsoft.  But like everyone else is saying just do what feels right to you.  If you wanna play then play and if you don't feel comfortable doing it then don't.  Because we won't know,  NCSoft has no idea that you played CoH or have an issue with them for closing it.  I think the idea around here that by paying for the games it is sending them the message its okay to do keep doing what they are doing isn't accurate cause they have no idea who is who.  Money is money and they don't care where it comes from or the opinions of those who spend it.  That is why all that matters is what you believe the right answer to be, because it only effects you.  The only thing you may or may not be betraying is your personal beliefs.  Not us or COH.

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2013, 06:52:10 AM »
to throw my 2 cents in on this

i personally will not spend even a cent to even get guild wars, or even if someone bought the game for me, grace their servers with my presence

however, this does not mean i will stop others from wanting to play it, i have several real life friends who play it and were trying to get me to play it, but because of me not wanting to support ncsoft in any way i always refused to play it with them (since these are RL friends we all have tons of other options to play on steam as well so not like we wouldnt have anything else to play together)

others do bring up valid points, if you dont want to spend money on it but someone wants you to play it, its either a 1 time purchase that you could very easily find on cheap sale somewhere or have someone buy it for you and dont spend any real money on the cash shop and you wont be supporting ncsoft, in fact you will be costing ncsoft money by using space on the servers and eating some of their bandwidth if you want to see it that way

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2013, 08:06:17 AM »
Yeah, compromise solution - buy it in a used bin somewhere, and then don't spend money in their cash shop - in the end, you're probably costing them $, and you get to join your friends online.  Win-win.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2013, 10:35:42 AM »
Only problem with that is MMOs don't get into used bins, because the code they came with has already been used so the box and anything in it is now completely useless.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2013, 03:40:45 PM »
Only problem with that is MMOs don't get into used bins, because the code they came with has already been used so the box and anything in it is now completely useless.

Sadly, this isn't completely accurate. One used book store where I used to live had several copies of Guild Wars 1. They were quick to pull down the opened ones (some had come in from a local game store as "overstocks," so they were still usable), but they were none too happy with the revelation. Game stores? Without question. If they aren't savvy enough to know what they are putting on their shelves, they will learn the hard way when someone brings back the useless piece of plastic they've just purchased.

On the other hand, it's been a while since I've tried it (Ascheron's Call circa the release of AC2), but I seem to remember being taken to a website that gave me a message regarding the code already being used with a link to purchase a new one. This, while handy, would likely cost more for the actual code (never mind what you already spent on the used box), and it would be through the NCSoft website, therefore maximizing the amount of your money that goes to them.

tl;dr: Don't ever buy an MMO used. Or check one out from the library. (Yes, they buy them, though the one my mother works for won't, anymore.)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Aura Controller

• Minion
  • "Hey, is there room in that head for one more?"
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2013, 05:49:44 PM »
I don't care if NC$oft released the best game ever made I would not play it, but that's just me. I made a promise to NC$soft. It was "I will never for the rest of my live, after life or any other form of being give you more of my money, love, or help. Enjoy you lives without me." And I always keep my promises.
http://www.youtube.com/user/AccidentalPsychopath

Look I'm on YouTube!
Is it OK to advertise that down here? O.o
Also does anyone ever read these?

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2013, 06:58:35 PM »
I don't care if NC$oft released the best game ever made

They did - back in 2004 ;)
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

Sermon

• Minion
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2013, 08:57:36 PM »
I know you opened yourself up for it, but I think any name calling, in particular things like "no friend", is pretty childish.

I have been playing GW2 since launch. I was a fan that came late to GW1, and it was playing CoH (7 years subbed) and enjoying what NCsoft was delivering me that got me interested in the first place. I don't prefer supporting NCSoft, and I have thus far avoided spending any money beyond the box cost for the game. That said, I probably will eventually. I really like the game that ArenaNet is making and I do want to support them. Additionally, it offers an ease of playing with friends which is unmatched by almost any MMO out there (excepting CoH).

I dunno what I think about these revival projects. That said, I would resub CoH in a heartbeat given the opportunity.  I have had a lot of fun with GW2, but it is its own game.

You have to make the decision for yourself. Others might judge, but they should worry about their own decisions and their own moral code. Do right by yourself, your principles, and your happiness.

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2013, 10:11:56 PM »
I guess I should have been more specific, but I considered that to be so self-evident I didn't need to mention it.  However, I buy "New-Used" items (items technically "used" but still shrink-wrapped / unopened) from Amazon.com all the time.  Surely game stores have the equivalent of this (or just go to Amazon.com).

Blue Pulsar

• Boss
  • Epic Mediocrity
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2013, 06:15:30 AM »
I agree (or at least slightly concur) with just about every poster here. I do miss my SG mates, and I haven't yet found a good MMO to play. I've tried TSW, and it's okay, but just not what I'm used to. I would never even consider GWII if it weren't for my friends. I really am not a fan of the sword and sorcery fantasy genre. It's sooooo over played. At this point, I'm pretty much going to stay away from the game, but I may be suckered into it in the future.

And if that day comes, I'll likely find someone who doesn't want their account anymore and pay 15 bucks for it. Or buy it off ebay for a tad more, but spending any more money, especially money that would go straight to NC$oft, is out of the question.

They got over 2k from me during the time they had CoX running. Over seven years on one account, and over five years on another, paying the monthly sub. And buying the occasional Paragon Points too. Until the day they bring back my game, I'm going to make damn sure I'm not supporting them.

I still miss my friends, though.
Blue Pulsar - 50 nrg/kin def - first toon - Liberty
Bane of Lanur - 52 nec/dark MM - Main vill - Liberty
Destan H. - 53 SS/FA brute - Farm/PvP hybrid - Freedom
Destan's Fury - 53 StJ/Regen brute - PvPer - Freedom
Destan's Shadow Gang - 53 Thug/Dark MM - PvPer - Freedom

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2013, 07:16:16 AM »
Something that comes up a lot is people saying they're not REALLY supporting NCSoft by playing the game, because they got it on sale or only paid for the initial purchase or don't by gems or whatever.

If you somehow got the game for free, or found it via a third party who wasn't giving a share back to NCSoft, it might be tempting to go for it even if you had previously committed to the boycott. But here's why I think you'd be fooling yourself.

If you show up inside the game, and you're adding to its concurrent numbers, you're supporting NCSoft in one of the ways that counts the most. You might laugh it off, "No, I'm just wasting their bandwidth! Final joke's on them! Haha!" Listen. No. And you know why this isn't true. You don't need me to explain this one to you.

Now, whether you think that's good or bad is up to you. But don't lie to yourself. If you show up to play the game, you're supporting the studio and the publisher. Directly, indirectly, intentions don't matter. The publisher will value your participation. If you're a fan or you're just not concerned about all this, then it doesn't matter. But if it matters to you and you know it, don't give yourself something to feel regretful about later.

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2013, 07:34:16 AM »
They did - back in 2004 ;)

OMG! I agree with Golden Girl  :o *faints*

Kidding!  ;)

Me personally, I won't support NCSoft in the post CoH era until the game is back online. I can wait.