Author Topic: Clairvoyance  (Read 12067 times)

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
Clairvoyance
« on: July 09, 2013, 08:16:51 PM »
weather you had a premonition or some sort of vision regarding CoH and the business around it. let it out here.

Last night I believe I was observing the world from another person's perspective. I was in some company and they had just decided to make an offer of $10 million for the IP of city of heroes.

I do not know if NCsoft will bite, but For some reason I am certain an offer has been made by someone. Or maybe it's just me being over hopeful again.

meh whatever, anyone else have any similar occurences?
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
Re: Clairvoyance
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 12:23:14 AM »
twice.

One was about the beginning I couldnt tell in this dream if it was COX re-release or another COX game, but it was a little drab, one of the first few weeks of release, not many other players and most gripng about the emptyness and the long wait for an empty game.

About 4 nights later in another dream same game, but more populated excitement about an up coming issue release. From the convo, about two or three years later than the first one I'm guessing. Lots of people. Last thing I remember is someone mentioning an article about it is the time of the super hero mmo.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 03:07:18 AM »
I can see the future, but only by a few milliseconds, and only for my own actions. Like when I'm about to pick my nose, I'll think about it right before it happens.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 04:40:04 AM »
I can see the future, but only by a few milliseconds, and only for my own actions. Like when I'm about to pick my nose, I'll think about it right before it happens.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 07:15:54 AM »
I need a "whistling innocently" emote.  ;D

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 09:04:10 AM »

I really liked this joke :)

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 11:32:27 AM »

LOL!

thunderforce

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 02:43:54 PM »

Like when I fell off the fence and broke my jaw, I definitely thought "Oh, [expletive-deleted]" at the top of the arc. Definite future prediction.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 02:58:12 PM »
I know this is a very odd thing but I almost never dream or if I do I don't recall them. However if I do dream they almost always 90% or so come true.

An example is I recall maybe 1-2 dreams a year. I was 16 years old and had a dream of being in Detroit and in a large room full of people filling out a government form. Fast forward 2 years later and I was joining the military and was at the induction center and I walked into the exact room. I knew in advance what every person was going to say and what the forms were. It was just one of the few things that have happened the same way.

Now what is odd is the first few times it happened as a child I was locked , afraid to do anything and it played out as I had dreamed. Then I made a decision to change it - could I alter what was happening? Yes, I found I could do it and when I did change the flow of what happened I had an odd feeling of things spinning differently and I would lose the thread of what was going to happen next.

I do know this sounds very odd but *shrugs* it does happen to me and is a very disconcerting thing when it does.

thunderforce

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 03:12:49 PM »
An example is I recall maybe 1-2 dreams a year. I was 16 years old and had a dream of being in Detroit and in a large room full of people filling out a government form. Fast forward 2 years later and I was joining the military and was at the induction center and I walked into the exact room. I knew in advance what every person was going to say and what the forms were. It was just one of the few things that have happened the same way.

This is quite a common form of deja vu. As I understand it, what's really going on is that dreams are pretty incoherent messes of mental images, and the brain invents a memory later as to what was going on. So it's not that you actually knew what every person was going to say - obviously impossible - but that afterwards, you have an entirely synthetic memory of knowing it in advance.

Mantic

• Boss
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 04:04:03 PM »
There's a reason this is my nick. My perception of precognition is mundane, not supernatural, but that may be what you guys are doing in your sleep: fitting all the puzzle pieces together on a subconscious level.

How reliable your insights may be is obviously going to be relative to how much actual information you've been privy to. You might have more information than you consciously know. Or you might just be extrapolating wishful thinking into a possible scenario.

Personally, I've had no particular insight into anything related to CoX. But I might be picking my nose soon.

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 04:54:43 PM »
Well, I've had some moments of clairvoyance before, usually from a dream long before the event actually took place, though these are difficult to decipher, and most times don't have anything to do with anything important... Although, I did once do it while fully conscious, although it wasn't an image in my head so much as a huge feeling of dread while waiting(on foot) for a train to finish passing the railroad crossing in front of me.

I was standing a few feet away, maybe about 10 feet from the tracks, when a strange ominous feeling washed over me, and it felt like the train (A very long freight train) was looming over me... It's really hard to describe the feeling, but suffice to say, it scared me a little, and I took more than a few steps back from the train figuring if it really felt that bad to stand that close, some distance wouldn't hurt... A few seconds after I did this, an empty train car (one of those ones with the large metal structure in the middle and no outer shell, and cables crisscrossing the entire length of the car) whipped past me with a loose roughly 20-30 foot cable flailing around on my side of the tracks. Had I not moved, it probably would have cleaved me in half... I haven't had that kind of feeling once since then, but I'll never forget it...

Then of course, there's this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks_UHmaZcSg

And this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIieq0a130c

Which in a way, can sort of explain the possibility of actual Clairvoyance (And not simply jumbled Deja Vu that the brain incorrectly induces from incomplete information), at least theoretically... Essentially, for a brief instant, your brain's molecules might be vibrating at the same frequency as that of another universe, allowing you to catch brief glimpses of it. Time being relative, there's nothing to stop these other universes from being slightly ahead of us, so if what you see happens in the future, it's not out of the question, because that other universe may be ahead of our own. And since our molecules are always vibrating, there's always the chance that as new universes split off from our own, our vibrations might match for brief moments allowing some people to momentarily be in sync with that other universe. So while I may not have had it happen to me due to what ever that feeling was(maybe subconsciously, I picked it up from another universe that was ahead of ours, not sure), in another universe I was killed by that stray train cable that day... I just made myself a little depressed thinking about it like that... :(

Side note, since we're all technically partially on Mars right now, according to Michio Kaku's second video there... Congratulations! We colonized Mars already and didn't even know it! Take that, NASA! :P

thunderforce

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 04:58:25 PM »
I was standing a few feet away, maybe about 10 feet from the tracks, when a strange ominous feeling washed over me, and it felt like the train (A very long freight train) was looming over me... It's really hard to describe the feeling, but suffice to say, it scared me a little, and I took more than a few steps back from the train figuring if it really felt that bad to stand that close, some distance wouldn't hurt... A few seconds after I did this, an empty train car (one of those ones with the large metal structure in the middle and no outer shell, and cables crisscrossing the entire length of the car) whipped past me with a loose roughly 20-30 foot cable flailing around on my side of the tracks.

This is coincidence. We don't hear from the hundreds of millions of people who had vague feelings of dread while standing on railway platforms, stepped back a bit, and felt a little sheepish when nothing happened; we hear from the one who happened, by pure chance, to have one just before something did happen.

Essentially, for a brief instant, your brain's molecules might be vibrating at the same frequency as that of another universe, allowing you to catch brief glimpses of it.

Bluntly, this is nonsense.

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2013, 05:02:52 PM »

According to quantum physics, it's not nonsense at all.

thunderforce

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 05:05:33 PM »
According to quantum physics, it's not nonsense at all.

I'm afraid you are going to find this quite rude, but no. You have fundamentally misunderstood - this is exactly the same sort of rubbish with half-digested bits of quantum theory that people like homeopaths come up with. Trust me, if you think you've come up with some way quantum theory implies precognition (or indeed clairvoyance, although aside from the thread title I don't think we've mentioned it), you're mistaken.

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2013, 05:33:50 PM »
I'm afraid you are going to find this quite rude, but no. You have fundamentally misunderstood - this is exactly the same sort of rubbish with half-digested bits of quantum theory that people like homeopaths come up with. Trust me, if you think you've come up with some way quantum theory implies precognition (or indeed clairvoyance, although aside from the thread title I don't think we've mentioned it), you're mistaken.

So, why are you being so vehemently argumentative at a proposed "theory"? Let me say it again, it's just a "theory"... I never said it was fact or that I could prove it, it was just posed as one possible explanation. Explain to me how it is that I'm so wrong with my "theory"...? Again, it's a "theory" and nothing more than that... Just because you don't agree with it, doesn't mean it's not possible... That's like saying that the Earth is round in early human history while everyone around you insisted it was flat... Just because you think one way, doesn't mean that the other can't be possible too...

So my understanding of quantum mechanics/physics is limited, and I'm not exactly a multi-PHD carrying scientist, nor do I even have the slightest inkling of how to do the calculations for such a probability... So what... At least I'm trying to learn the concepts, which is more than I can say for like 90% of the rest of the country that simply ignores the science and plays Angry Birds on their smart phones all day...

Heck, did you even watch the videos I posted? I mean seriously, you replied so quickly(with-in three minutes), and the videos were a combined like 7-8 minutes or so, you couldn't possibly have watched them... What Michio was saying in those two videos is not that far from what I was saying for my theory... If you're calling me wrong, than you're calling him, one of the smartest people on the planet, wrong...

thunderforce

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2013, 05:46:29 PM »
So, why are you being so vehemently argumentative at a proposed "theory"?

I'm not; I'm just pointing out it's nonsense. It's not a theory; it's some words stuck together in a way that might appear superficially plausible if you don't really know what they mean in context.

Heck, did you even watch the videos I posted?

Why would I? Michio Kaku is not actually going to be explaining how precognition is possible. (Indeed, in one of his books, he singles it out as one of the "most impossible" impossibilities, utterly at odds with the laws of physics as we understand them now). You have misinterpreted them.

Let me try an analogy. Suppose I say "The Positron taskforce from City of Heroes could take many hours to complete, so you would need the Stamina power to give your character enough endurance to get through it." If you'd never played City of Heroes, that would seem perfectly plausible. That's what "stamina" is, isn't it? But if you have, you know that's pure gibberish; that's not what "stamina" and "endurance" mean in this context. It's not a "theory", it's just nonsense.

"Essentially, for a brief instant, your brain's molecules might be vibrating at the same frequency as that of another universe, allowing you to catch brief glimpses of it. Time being relative, there's nothing to stop these other universes from being slightly ahead of us, so if what you see happens in the future, it's not out of the question, because that other universe may be ahead of our own." is that sort of gibberish.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 06:04:20 PM by thunderforce »

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2013, 08:27:48 PM »
Why would I?

Simple... To understand the context of what I was suggesting... But as I can clearly see from the tone of your posts, you're just trolling now, and obviously no one's ideas have any meaning except your own... Forgive me for thinking that in a free speaking world that I had the right to speak my mind and express ideas, I'll go back into my corner and shut up now, since obviously my thoughts and ideas don't matter to anyone...

I guess I'll just go back to your version of reality where the world is flat, because new/different ideas are dangerous things, and we can't be having those... ???

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2013, 12:02:38 AM »
Aw for Pete's sake, Shenku, Thunder isn't trolling. If you want to use REAL science and scientific figures to prop up fringe science off-the-cuff (off your cuff, in particular), then you can expect to be challenged vehemently. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with the debate (yes it's impassioned, but in this particular arena, if you can't stand having your theories labeled nonsense, you shouldn't enter). But for crying out loud, Thunder, just watch the frakking videos, they're under 10 minutes long combined; if that's what Shenku's ammunition consists of, it would be much easier (and more diplomatic) for you to argue the facts if they're indeed not on Shenku's side.

Parallel universes may exist with slightly different variables. Indeed, the chances of worlds existing very similar to our own is high enough even within the trillions of galaxies inside our own universe, especially when you figure that our range of sight will probably always leave most of the universe's contents outside our sphere of awareness as it continues to expand faster than the speed of light.

None of this (that I'm aware of) means we can expand our awareness by vibrating our molecules differently, but I'd much rather have this debate with Michio Kaku than either of you.  :P

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2013, 05:23:38 PM »
This is coincidence. We don't hear from the hundreds of millions of people who had vague feelings of dread while standing on railway platforms, stepped back a bit, and felt a little sheepish when nothing happened; we hear from the one who happened, by pure chance, to have one just before something did happen.

We also don't hear from the people who had vague feelings of dread while standing on railway platforms, shrugged it off as nothing, and were killed when a runaway railcar barrelled past. While the self-selection bias is real, it does not by itself rule out that premonitions exist; however, evidence would suggest that the experience is at best extremely rare and extremely unpredictable, and is therefore not analyzable without a data collection that would be difficult if not impossible to carry out. Your experience is your experience, but it is impossible to make any sort of projection based on individual accounts.