Author Topic: /e HoldTorch for one of our own: Ascendant  (Read 64204 times)

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
Re: /e HoldTorch for one of our own: Ascendant
« Reply #140 on: June 23, 2013, 05:37:43 AM »
This is really a discussion for somewhere else, but I guess I don't know what your friend means. CoH had a much more vertiginous autoswivel, but you got used to it.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

blackjak

• Elite Boss
« Reply #141 on: June 23, 2013, 01:15:38 PM »
So, since emotions are high and nerves are on edge, now would be a great time to pipe up and say that I did a little tribute performance in Champions Online, this evening?  ;D
Did you do something in chat? I was in a mission and missed something in zone. When i got out one person was complaining until someone explained it and then everyone was surprisingly supportive. Amazing in a game that seems increasingly full of trolls and children.
Btw, if you are the little street magician who did tricks and "messed up" a lot, Ascendant taught you well. Very imaginative and entertaining.
Virtue: Moonsun, Dynamo Jr., Crimson Fury, Sabre Kat, Double Sixxes, Quantum Stranger, Mystic Kirin, Pink.Eye Champion: Blackjak, Redwing Blackbird Justice: Shield Marshal Guardian: White Talon Triumph: Gosuto Union: Stellar Girl

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #142 on: June 23, 2013, 02:13:20 PM »
i first heard about Tre's passing on the Save City of Heroes Facebook page several days ago and was greatly saddened. While i never met him in real life i had the good fortune to witness several of his performances in game and they always cracked me up. His writing and timing was always spot on and the accounts of who he was as a person i've read since his death have confirmed the impression he'd made in game of being a witty, good-natured, caring person.
His dying was a great loss and i wish he'd could've had more time.
My condolences to his friends and family.
 :'(
So far so good. Onward and upward!

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #143 on: June 23, 2013, 03:05:08 PM »
I'm like a bad Kevin Smith: I can write dialogue, but I suck at writing action. My "main" is a States "tribute," so it was a call to find out why his mail wasn't forwarding from Paragon City.

And, interestingly, it was pretty well received. I fully expected to not be able to get through it before I was chat-banned. There was one moron who tried to turn it into an allegory for everything that is "wrong with liberalism," but even other self-professed conservatives turned on him/her.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

cygnata

• Minion
« Reply #144 on: June 23, 2013, 11:32:11 PM »
No luck on the couch front, and after today, the price goes up way beyond what I can afford. :( Anyone who is going, please say goodbye to him from me as well.  :'(

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #145 on: June 24, 2013, 12:11:15 AM »

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #146 on: June 24, 2013, 02:19:23 AM »
http://www.legacy.com/guestbooks/pensacolanewsjournal/guestbook.aspx?n=tre--jewett&pid=165465906&cid=full

Guest book for the RL memorial service.  If you want his parents and family to know how much he meant to you, this is the place.  It'll be online for a year.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #147 on: June 24, 2013, 07:32:15 AM »
Images of Ascendant on deviantArt.com:

Ascendant: Final Raid
by ~Kyuuen

Taken on the shutdown day of City of Heroes.

Celebrities of the Time
by ~Kyuuen

Ascendant
by ~pascal-verhoef

carlogarde made this great drawing of Ascedant for novaburst and I thought that it was time for some colors!

« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 04:51:05 AM by Todogut »

Randomvector

• Lieutenant
« Reply #148 on: June 24, 2013, 05:03:58 PM »
http://www.legacy.com/guestbooks/pensacolanewsjournal/guestbook.aspx?n=tre--jewett&pid=165465906&cid=full

Guest book for the RL memorial service.  If you want his parents and family to know how much he meant to you, this is the place.  It'll be online for a year.

Also you can read his obituary there. Shows how he was a hero in real life too, giving out sandwiches to homeless people for 15 years.

MMODesigner

• Positronic
  • Underling
« Reply #149 on: June 25, 2013, 09:07:16 PM »
http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/7531/A-Death-in-the-Family.html

I did my best to eulogize him. Feel free to add your own stories to the comments. He will truly be missed.

Samuraiko

• Honorary Paragon Dev and
  • Elite Boss
  • EVERYONE LOOK AWESOME - I'M FILMING!
    • The Wandering Crane
« Reply #150 on: June 25, 2013, 09:22:51 PM »
http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/7531/A-Death-in-the-Family.html

I did my best to eulogize him. Feel free to add your own stories to the comments. He will truly be missed.

You did just fine, man.

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite
The game may be gone, but the videos are still here...
http://www.youtube.com/samuraiko
http://cohtube.blogspot.com

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #151 on: June 25, 2013, 09:36:13 PM »

Thumbs up, man.  I've added it (as well as a bunch of other links to various tweets, Facebook posts, etc.) from folks to the OP in this thread.

AreEss

• Underling
« Reply #152 on: June 25, 2013, 09:59:18 PM »
I don't know how I missed this. I honestly don't and I'm ashamed I did.

Those of you who don't know me and my characters - well, VirtueVerse is the place. Ascendant, believe it or not, was part of the inspiration for Internet Prawn. He was also a dear friend to Red from an in-character perspective, dating back to before there was a Pocket D. How's that for a flashback sequence?

One thing that will always stick in my mind, is a very long and thoughtful conversation Red and Ascendant, or more accurately Eric West, had on matters of heroing-life balance - among other things - in Steel Canyon, back around 2006 I believe. It really has been ages. People always obsessed over the phone calls with Saul, but Ascendant was much deeper than that as a character and as a person. I always felt blessed to get to see and interact with that side of Ascendant.

I also remember well with a heavy heart how Tundra (all of you from Virtue probably remember Tundra) used to mock Doctor Crom - particularly for his drink of choice. Spring water from a specific region of France, chilled over glacial ice. Those interactions were always my favorite because it was an opportunity for two classic villain stereotypes to, for want of a better term, let it all hang out. The brilliant scientist hellbent on global domination and the amoral 'alien' psychopath who wanted to see it burn.

In fact, I was lucky enough to interact with many of his characters. Sometimes just on chance, not realizing it was Tre behind the keyboard. More often than not, I didn't know it was an alt of his. We were just two characters, having an every day conversation - or at least what passed for one in Paragon.

Tre truly was a brilliant writer, and he brought more to the CoH world than anyone else I have ever known. More than once I commented that Cryptic/Paragon should just hire him - especially after Manticore left - because he really had a gift for it. His writing was amazing, and no matter whether it was something silly and full of puns or deadly serious, it just clicked. Every time.

Tre, you will be missed more than I can explain with words. You inspired me to put more effort into my fiction - all of it - and you always brought a smile to my face. You were a breed of person who has become painfully rare in this world, one that is all too often taken from us far too soon.

Safe journeys, my friend.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #153 on: June 25, 2013, 10:47:55 PM »

Especially love the little shoutout in the title.  :)

Good stuff. Added my brain droppings to the comments.

Heroid

• Minion
« Reply #154 on: June 26, 2013, 02:30:45 AM »

That was beautiful.  Thanks, Matt. 
aka, Heroid

Rainspirit

• Underling
« Reply #155 on: June 26, 2013, 09:55:04 AM »
Colette Valiant let me know about this in an email and I've been reeling from it ever since.

The first time I saw Ascendant in-game, I treated it like it was a once-in-a-lifetime occasion. It was really like meeting a celebrity, just meeting someone who was considered to be THE greatest superhero on Virtue, by popular consensus. And then he stuck around, in that last year we had together. I saw him at Pocket D and he not only played a smartly written character, but he was a character himself... just someone I felt comfortable riffing off and bantering with.

It tears me up that he's gone.

We've lost our great superhero.

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #156 on: June 26, 2013, 11:41:20 PM »
Used part of the Mint Condition/CoH Stories podcast for an Ascendant video.

http://youtu.be/u64_ZldxbEQ

Wulfen

• Underling
« Reply #157 on: June 27, 2013, 04:56:02 PM »
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=112841081

Someone already added an entry for Tre into the database of Find A Grave

Power Play

• Minion
  • Liberty Eagle-Virtue/Power Play-Guardian
« Reply #158 on: June 28, 2013, 07:59:52 AM »

Like most folks, I only wish I had more interaction and more RP time with Tre/Ascendant.  The first time Liberty Eagle (my main) met Ascendant, he was sure he had found Mr. Virtuous' twin brother.  Mr. Virtuous (V) was the Paragon (leader) of the Gods of the Golden Age, Eagle's SG.  V's costume was almost identical to Ascendant's and they both had blond hair.  They were both clones of the Big Bang Comics character, Mighty Man.

Mr. Virtuous

Mr.Virtuous with some of the Gods of the Golden Age

Mighty Man

It was a running joke which ended up with V reversing the colors of his costume to solve the issue of continually being mistaken for Ascendant.

The New and Improved Mr. Virtuous

Even though we didn't run in the same RP circles, we'd cross paths from time to time and share a smile, a nod, and a few words.  Like everyone, I guess I always felt we'd pick up where we left off, when the new game came online.  Not being able to do that leaves an empty feeling about the game and a renewed sense of my own mortality.  When I gave my sons hugs tonight when I put them to bed, I gave thanks in my own way for still being around to be able to do it.

R.I.P. Tre.  You will be missed, hero.

Pat/@Power Play/Liberty Eagle

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #159 on: June 28, 2013, 09:11:08 PM »
I'm unstickying this since it's been over a week and his memorial service was yesterday.  Hopefully word has spread pretty widely in the community and everyone is aware now.  Thanks, everyone for your memories, kinds words, and support to comfort the family and friends of one of our own.  I know it means a lot.