Author Topic: /e HoldTorch for one of our own: Ascendant  (Read 63643 times)

Takeda

• Underling
Re: /e HoldTorch for one of our own: Ascendant
« Reply #160 on: July 01, 2013, 02:48:00 AM »
Not much to say that hasn't already been said.  I played on Virtue and always smiled when I bumped into him.  I have fun memories of running around the outside of the Zig arresting prisoners for the badge with him, while I was on my Kheldian.  Or the time, years later, when I ran into him on the first night they opened up the VIP Server.  Too soon, but hopefully he knew how many smiles he brought to so many different people. 

Megajoule

• Lieutenant
« Reply #161 on: December 27, 2013, 06:57:26 PM »
(bump for a belated tribute)

Long-Distance Call

Tre Kerman, brave kerbonaut, steps off the ladder and onto the dusty orange-red soil of Duna.  Letting go of the last rung, he turns to face the alien vista.  Though he is not alone, he has the honor of being first to make the descent - standing, as it were, in the footsteps of greats like the legendary Jeb Kerman.  He opens his mouth to say something appropriate for the occasion... and his phone rings.

"Hello?
Yeah, it's Tre. 
Yeah. 
Yeah.
No.
Look, I'm kind of busy right now.  I'm on Duna. 
Duna.  Next planet out from Kerbin, the red one?
Yeah.
Yeah, I'm command pilot for the First Duna Expedition.  That's what I've been doing for the last two months.  That's why I haven't been by to see you.
Right.
I sound funny 'cause I've got my phone up against my space helmet.
No, I can't take it off.  There's no air here.
Yeah.
No... no, I can't pick up your dry-cleaning.  'Cause I'm a couple of million miles away right now.  I won't be back for almost a year.
That's right.
Because that's just how transfer windows work.
No, not power windows, transfer...
No.
Look, I'll get someone at the Space Center to take care of that for you, all right?  I have to get back to the mission now.
Yes.
Yes, I promise.
I will.
Okay.
I'm hanging up now.
Goodbye, Saul."

With a sigh, he puts the phone away and looks around again, the historic moment now past.

"... I guess that's it, then."

Tre's writing, both humorous and dramatic, and his overall attitude were an inspiration to me during my years playing CoH.  I regret that I didn't know him longer or better.  I especially regret not learning until after he was gone that he had started playing Kerbal Space Program.  This personal tribute began taking shape within weeks of the announcement.  It's taken six months and a couple of versions ("issues") to get all the pieces in place, to do it right, but I was determined to get it done by year's end.

And so, late yesterday (Boxing Day), in my own space program... Tre Kerman finally and officially became the first kerbal on Duna.

/e salute

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 27, 2013, 10:51:22 PM »
/e salute to Tre and to Megajoule.

I know a lot of COHers are crazy about Kerbal Space Program. And that sounded a lot like an Ascendant phone call to me. ;D

And I'm still calling us COHers because that's not just what we were, but what we are. Ascendant kept the hope in those final days of the game and I trust that guy's judgement. There is still a wonderful community here, and in other places, and I believe this will be the first time that such a large group of MMOers stuck together despite their game closing. Here we are over a year later and a WHOLE LOT of people are still communicating. That is fantastic and I don't think I'm assuming too much to suggest that Tre would have enjoyed seeing that.

So in honor of folks like Tre and of such an established community, please keep sticking your heads in those places where you know you'll find us. I believe the biggest part of the reason we're sticking together is because we know that all of our best days aren't necessarily behind us.

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #163 on: December 28, 2013, 03:49:39 AM »
I did not know him either. To me, anyone affiliated with City of Heroes, whether a Dev, Coffee Talk commentator, or a fellow player is family to me. Bad week in general, my neighbor left for a retirement home. It's all reminders that we are mortal and need to enjoy what we have while we have it. Hours spent playing, chatting with good friends was worth it to me. I hope Ascendant is in 'Paragon' in the sky having an even better experience. God Bless.

Little David

• Boss
    • The Ad Ultimum Network
« Reply #164 on: December 30, 2013, 04:53:47 AM »
... holy crap. I had no idea this had happened. That's what I get for being out of contact with the community for as long as I have, I guess.

Man, 2013 has sucked hard ... I posted my condolences in the guestbook linked in the obituary, belated though it is. I never got to meet him in person but man, I loved his humor.

Megajoule

• Lieutenant
« Reply #165 on: May 31, 2014, 02:17:12 AM »
An update:

As of today, Tre Kerman has now visited (and planted flags at) both poles of Duna.

He's also driven (at least) halfway around Duna, been face to face with the Face, reached the summit of an impressive mountain (which I then named in his honor), stood directly "under" Ike, and BASE-jumped off the north polar peak to land right at the ladder of the rover parked almost a kilometer below.

Godspeed, brave explorer.

EDIT: images trimmed - see below for link to thread.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 04:01:15 PM by Megajoule »

Megajoule

• Lieutenant
« Reply #166 on: March 26, 2015, 03:59:13 PM »
Bump.

I've finally finished my mission to Duna, and returned Tre Kerman and his fellow kerbonauts safely home to a hero's welcome, ready for more adventures.

The whole thread, on the Kerbal Space Program forums, can be found here:

Long-Distance Call

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #167 on: March 26, 2015, 04:56:17 PM »
Love the detailed account of the Duna mission with Tre Kerman. And the phone calls!

Awesome all around. And yet another fine tribute.