Author Topic: Google pitch: FAQ and history  (Read 18024 times)

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
Google pitch: FAQ and history
« on: June 05, 2013, 05:34:07 PM »
1. What is Task Force Hail Mary?

Back in November, Quinch came up with the idea of creating a document that explained exactly what set COH apart from other games, why it should be saved and what a fantastic business opportunity it could present in the right hands. He recruited Victoria Vitrix (author), Ammon Johns (online marketing expert) and me (journalist who dabbles in PR).

We worked with people who had been very close to COH, who were in a position to give us information we might not have had otherwise. This forms the basis of the pitch, which is then re-written according to the company we are sending it to. The pitch outlines reasons why COH is a great game, it's importance to the community and perhaps more importantly, how it would nestle alongside the company's current portfolio to bring them profit and a unique place in the marketplace. The document explains that we do not own the game, but includes contact details of people they should get in touch with if we have piqued their interest and they would like to explore the matter further.

Our first target was Disney, and our current target is Google.

2. Why Google?

Rather simply, because a contact of VV's at Google asked us to send him the pitch.

3. Can I see the pitch?

No, sorry. As briefly outlined above, we were given a lot of information in confidence, on the condition it went no further than us, and the people we are trying to pitch COH to. We have to respect that request.

4. What happens next?

The pitch has been sent out to the contact at Google, and now we need your help. We need the SaveCOH community to show that this isn't just four people with too much time on their hands, but that we're backed by a community who want to play the game, would be willing to spend money, who support the game and want it back.

5. How do I do that?

Mail  letters/postcards/whatever you'd like to send to:

Jeson Patel
Engineering Manager
Google Inc
Google Mountain View
1600 Amphitheatre Parkway
Mountain View, CA 94043

It's worth googling (!) the contact if you have a moment. His interests are past successes are out there on the web for you to look at, and it might help you to get your letters underway.

If you've got a little time on your hands, you might also want to hit up:

Jamie Rosenberg,  Vice President of Digital Content

At the same address, urging him to talk to Mr Patel with regards to the City of Heroes pitch he was sent.

6. Can I send emails?

Probably best not to. The last thing we want to do is interrupt their day to day work with loads of emails about COH, it won't make anyone sympathetic to our cause.

It takes time, effort and energy to send a letter and that's what we're after here.

7. Does it HAVE to be a letter?

If you have the time, energy and inclination to be creative, feel free. The more attention grabbing you can be, hopefully, the more likely they are to look at what you're sending. Just.. don't send them a finger or write it in your own blood or anything. We want to show support, not act like crazy people.

8. Yeah, but you're trying to sell something you don't own..

Not quite. We're trying to draw their attention to something that could be the perfect product for them, and giving them the information of the people they need to talk to if they'd be interested in taking it further.

9. Then what happens?

We're not under any illusions - like everything TFHM have done, we know it's a long shot, but if you don't try, then you'll never know. We've written something that outlines COH's strengths, weaknesses in the way it was managed that they could capitalise on and outlined a community desperate to see it's return. Letters from you guys will help to strengthen our pitch - to prove that you guys DO exist, and you DO want it back and we haven't just made the whole thing up because we get our kicks out of writing huge documents and sending them to people ;)

After that, it's all in Google's hands. They need to decide a) if we're right, and it's something they should be interested in, and if so, b) then it all comes down to whether or not NC Soft are willing to sell.

10. And if it doesn't work?

Don't tell anyone, but we've already lined up the third target, and preliminary work is already underway on it. 
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
Re: Google pitch: FAQ and history
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 10:12:57 PM »
good stuff

[EDIT: Removed unnecessary entire quote of post immediately above this one (sorry, peeve of mine) - I'd like to keep important threads uncluttered! ~Agge]
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 01:19:22 AM by Aggelakis »

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 03:29:23 AM »
[Quotes: a huge selection of my favorite posts in close relation to this or just general stuff I want to B.S. about for the sake of enticing Agge's OCD (sorry, had to joke, lol, you left your self wide open) - I'd like to always make every topic as comedic as it can be! ~Joshex]

seriously though, thanks for the info, I was gonna B.S. berserk the letter from my heart lol, but now I may do some research and maybe if I find time make something to catch thier interests.. I know you said no emails, but as my hobby/job is game design.. I'm tempted to send them my message in a more creative format if possible..

lastly, gee I keep forgetting the main point of the next paragraph. Oh yeah, 10. I've said it before and I'm sure some may ask me for more reassurance, if it comes to 10. I will definitely be doing my part, got lawyers interested already, all I gotta do is butter thier bread with some more specifics and I think a subpoena could go out to NCSoft with-in a month.
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Mentalshock

• Boss
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 10:45:27 PM »
I am very pleased that the idea I first dismissed as too crazy to be even worth considering, (approaching Disney) has spawned such an effort.   You know what they say, 'That's so crazy, it just might work.'

Here's hoping it does!

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 11:44:49 PM »
I am very pleased that the idea I first dismissed as too crazy to be even worth considering, (approaching Disney) has spawned such an effort.   You know what they say, 'That's so crazy, it just might work.'

Here's hoping it does!

Hey just about every famous invention we have today and some couldnt imagine living without started off and was dismissed as a crazy idea.

Telephone
Microwave
TV
Movies
Games
Lightbulbs
Cars and highways
The Internet
Microsoft
Facebook
MySpace
MP3 Players
Ipod/Iphones
Apps.
CDs
Tape players
DVDs
Youtube
Ebay

All at one point were considered ideas of a mad man. Lo and Behold, society would crumpble without those items or feel like it's over for the end. Like some people if they wake up and cant get on facebook and phone they wouldnt know how to function.

r00tb0ySlim

• Boss
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 02:48:56 PM »
Excellent!!!

HeatSpike1

• Boss
  • CoH Global: @HeatSpike1
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 12:58:23 AM »
CoH missions - Visit the contact for more information

RL missions - Mail these contacts to get our CoH contacts back!

Let's pummel them with our letters to support this pitch! Writing mine now!

*Also* should we add some uniformity to our letters and maybe add this, or something similar, to the outside of our envelopes?

http://www.exploitsrus.org/images/cohlogo.gif

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/256/3/4/save_city_of_heroes_by_espionagedb7-d5emf85.jpg

or maybe even just writing #saveCoH in marker somewhere on the outside of the envelope?

Might insist a more community inclusive effort, as if we're all fighting for the same cause if they see the same symbol on the outside of every envelope.  They'll already know what it's about before they even open it. 
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 01:13:03 AM by HeatSpike1 »

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 11:14:49 PM »
I think about the only company with enough money, know how and muscle that I would trust would be Valve. Google's a good company but this seems pretty far outside the kind of thing they do.

I'm sorta glad Disney passed on this. I could easily see them buying up the property and suppressing it favor of their own title.

I do wish you all luck though.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

HeatSpike1

• Boss
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 01:28:26 AM »
I think about the only company with enough money, know how and muscle that I would trust would be Valve. Google's a good company but this seems pretty far outside the kind of thing they do.

I'm sorta glad Disney passed on this. I could easily see them buying up the property and suppressing it favor of their own title.

I do wish you all luck though.

Well if the pitch strikes interest and Google starts encouraging NCSoft to sell then we're already closer than we were.  And I must agree, it may be a bit out of Google's realm of norm, but a company with that much ingenuity and success wouldn't have any problem adapting.  And If the pitch doesn't interest them, then I'm sure Valve or another company is lined up for the next prospective company. I'm convinced there's at least one company out there that would be interested.  Let's find them, shall we?

"Never, never, never give up." - Winston Churchill 

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 08:55:59 AM »
Thanks for the outline and the excellent work, Rae!   8)  I really appreciate you and everyone working on TFHM, including those of us able to send letters supporting the Pitch to Google.  (I expect mine will be short and sweet and I'll post it online in this thread http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,8575.msg120619.html#msg120619 once it is written.)
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Spatch1971

• Underling
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 01:07:26 PM »
Thanks to all those putting their efforts into TFHM.  Your Herculean efforts are not lost on me.   :)

My letter to Mr. Patel has been written, and I'll be mailing it off in a day or two.

COH was more than just a game for me.  It was also therapeutic as I deal with chronic anxiety and depression.  It was a place I could go and, for awhile at least, blunt the effects of my illness.  Currently, I sub to no MMOG, and I feel lost.  I've played a couple single player titles (finally got around to playing Oblivion that had been sitting on a shelf for years), but they just don't feel...right.  I subbed to COH for over eight years, uninterrupted, and all else seems to pale in comparison. I would love to see COH rise from the ashes.

Thanks again to all involved in TFHM!

HeatSpike1

• Boss
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 12:03:44 AM »
Thanks to all those putting their efforts into TFHM.  Your Herculean efforts are not lost on me.   :)

Thanks again to all involved in TFHM!

Yes, thanks to everyone determined to getting our game & community back.  No letter is unimportant. Thank you to everyone involved!

Rae

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 11:10:35 AM »
Quote from: Mentalshock
You know what they say, 'That's so crazy, it just might work.'

"Magicians have calculated that million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten."
― Terry Pratchett, Mort

:)
--
@Vandellia

Spatch1971

• Underling
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2013, 06:07:57 PM »
Okay, letter to Mr. Patel is being sent tomorrow.  I've enclosed with the letter a collection of eye masks and a party wig (just some cheap stuff picked up at the local dollar store), packaging it up as the Unofficial City of Heroes Starter Kit.  Hopefully this piques his interest.

HeatSpike1

• Boss
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2013, 02:39:21 PM »
Okay, letter to Mr. Patel is being sent tomorrow.  I've enclosed with the letter a collection of eye masks and a party wig (just some cheap stuff picked up at the local dollar store), packaging it up as the Unofficial City of Heroes Starter Kit.  Hopefully this piques his interest.

Haha awesome!

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2013, 03:14:10 PM »
will we know if the pitch has even be received by the target.

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2013, 04:08:01 PM »
Yes I'm curious too. Even if you get a response saying: "We have received your offer and are going to discuss it in the next meeting" it would be nice to know.

Rae

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2013, 06:24:47 AM »
I have a read receipt, so someone has opened the mail.

I'm not sure they would necessarily contact me, however. In the email I said that if they had questions about the pitch, or why I had sent it to him, to contact me. But if he was interested and had questions about COH or taking it further, to contact the person I can't name, who would be in a position to put them in touch with the right people at NC Soft :-)
--
@Vandellia

Alpha Series

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2013, 10:44:51 PM »
Wonderful! Thanks for the heads-up and for all your hard work!
"You've started an interstellar war!" "No, I didn't start it. But I'm liable to finish it."

Spellcaster Hana

• Minion
  • City of Heroes will always and forever be my home.
    • Hana's Deviantart
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2013, 05:34:51 AM »
I'm just wondering if we should spread this word around, maybe on facebook or twitter or make a short article about it for extra exposure and to inform those other CoX players who stopped coming here. I'm sure a lot of them have moved on but we need all the help we can get...
"Sometimes, crossing the line is necessary in order to move forward."
"ALL HAIL EMPEROR COLE!!!" ( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
----------
My Deviantart: http://hanariblue.deviantart.com