Author Topic: I miss CoH  (Read 75435 times)

HeatSpike1

• Boss
  • CoH Global: @HeatSpike1
I miss CoH
« on: June 02, 2013, 04:14:03 AM »
Hello everyone,

I'm currently playing SP mode on the Pocket D ski slopes. Two words, First word: Nostalgia! Second word: Sadness :(

Hitting the slopes, hearing the sounds of wind chimes and WOOHOO's, while listening to the "Yodeling" song really makes me miss this one aspect out of the many of CoH. The more time that passes the more I find to miss about this game and our community.  Although we can't all play together, thanks to Codewalker, the rest of the Titan Network, and all others who have made what we CAN access possible.

Share what triggers that nostalgia for you at the moment, what you love, and what you miss the most about CoH!

Absolute

• Lieutenant
Re: I miss CoH
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 04:21:25 AM »
My desktop background is the Recluse's Victory loading screen at the moment. Sometimes I get to my computer and think I'm about to go in-game.

Surprisingly, every new game I play has one hand on the mouse and the other on the keyboard. CoH was the only game I played where one hand was on near WASD and the other was on the arrow keys. I wish I could play more games like that. I remember almost getting DCUO to not need a mouse whatsoever and the controls were made to be like CoH. If I could bind a key on my keyboard to click my mouse for me so I could shoot, I could actually play DCUO without a mouse. That would be nice, like CoH. That's what I miss the most, my hand position while playing CoH.

Lastly, I downloaded some of the CoH music I like. Sometimes it'll come up on shuffle, other times I'll play it while playing other games. CoH had some really good gaming music.

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 05:28:32 AM »
Several things I miss about COH:

1. My super group that I helped head.  While most of us are real life friends (and I'm certainly still in touch with my girlfriend!), and I'm still in touch with my co-founder through Marvel Heroes, there's something to be said for that sense of togetherness where, no matter what characters you go in as, you know everyone else has your back, you have his/hers, and you know how everyone will act and react.  We were TIGHT.

2. The welcoming chatter and community.  I could log in and, regardless of zone, likely hit up someone to chat with, happily and freely, buddy or not, through a chat channel or in zone local or broadcast speak.  In so many other games, this is missing; I log in, try to start up a conversation or just shout out a "Hi folks!" to the zone, and I get nothing in response.

3. Sights and sounds and music and power activations: stuff that made the game alive.  Knowing that when I hit that "Bow-chicka-wow" music of Blyde Square in Steel Canyon, I was near the base portal.  Getting a kick out of teleporting into a crowd with Waddle the Penguin and Glacier freezing everyone around me or tripping them up with an ice slick.  Shoot, even watching that flaming fists effect on Hasten, even if it didn't really fit all of my characters but still finding it very cool.

4. The Architect Entertainment system.  I teach English.  I love to write.  I've been role-playing for about 25 years, being self-taught on Dungeons & Dragons in the 80s.  The AE system was a wonderful blend of tools (though buggy!) that let me see, in the end, eight polished tales to final stages and to connect four of them into an ongoing arc for developing a favorite character.

5. Finally, the ability to just log in for ten or fifteen minutes, run a radio mission or AE blitz one of my arcs, craft some stuff in the base, talk to some friends at two in the morning, or just hang in Atlas Park and hold a costume contest on Justice. . . .  City was a game where you could have a great time commitment, like running numerous Dark Astoria incarnate missions in a row or getting in a Rikti mothership raid, or you could chill out for a quarter of an hour and still feel fulfilled.  So many games require BIG time investments to get much of anywhere, particularly late game, but even as a level 50 incarnate, I could simply mess around or run a hero tip mish or whatever without needing to have an "epic story" all the time.  I really miss this, perhaps the most.

I hope that NCSoft reopens or sells the game; should they do either, I hope they have the capability and willingness to set us back up with all our old stuff.  I know that might not be physically possible and that all our characters and stories might be long gone due to a simple "format c:\, enter". . . but there's always hope, until we hear otherwise, right?

Cinnder

• Boss
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 06:59:08 AM »
I miss EVERYTHING about it.  Even sappers.  Even the layer cake map.  Even the clunky respec mechanic.  (Well, ok, everything except anything related to Twinshot.  But everything else.)  I miss that there were so many different things to do.  And, as Tubbius just said, that some of those things could be done in a fulfilling way even if you had only a short time to play.  I miss that there were so many power sets, making every AT worth replaying many times.  I miss the balance the devs got between humour and realism.  I miss the feeling that each level improved my character's abilities in a way I could detect.  I miss combat I had to think about instead of just spamming attacks.  (I always think of my first Dom -- grav/psi -- when he would take on multiple enemies at lower levels: ok, knock that guy down, then hold that guy, now blast the third guy, knock the first one down again, oops the 2nd one needs to be held again...  In every other MMO I have tried, the most successful strategy seems to be "spam one mob till he's dead, then move on to the next one".)  I miss the way new stuff was always being released for a variety of levels, not just endgame grind missions.  I miss my supergroup.  I miss a game that isn't loot-based.  And, as several have said, I miss the chat -- the generally laid-back and welcoming community.

What I can't figure out is what triggers the nostalgia.  I get random scenes in my head for no apparent reason.  Like just now, while I was getting dressed, I suddenly saw quite clearly the explodable lab equipment room.  To my knowledge, none of my clothes will give me random buffs or debuffs if I destroy them.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 02:01:17 PM »
5. Finally, the ability to just log in for ten or fifteen minutes, run a radio mission or AE blitz one of my arcs, craft some stuff in the base, talk to some friends at two in the morning, or just hang in Atlas Park and hold a costume contest on Justice. . . .  City was a game where you could have a great time commitment, like running numerous Dark Astoria incarnate missions in a row or getting in a Rikti mothership raid, or you could chill out for a quarter of an hour and still feel fulfilled.  So many games require BIG time investments to get much of anywhere, particularly late game, but even as a level 50 incarnate, I could simply mess around or run a hero tip mish or whatever without needing to have an "epic story" all the time.  I really miss this, perhaps the most.

Yep, I'm right there with ya on that one Tubbius. I don't have endless hours of time for playing games like I once did. Looking after Dad all day, I often have to leave the computer unexpectedly for who knows how long. I can pretty much only do things that can be put on hold indefinitely and at a moment's notice. So if I want to play a game, I either have to be able to pause it or be positive that there's no harm in walking away for a while. That's a big part of why I used to love street sweeping; I could be guaranteed there were no patrols or ambushes coming. I could find a quiet section of the street and go deal with whatever little RL task needed doing, and when I got back my character would still be just standing there, chillin', no harm done. Once in a while a passerby had accidentally dragged a mob onto me, but it wasn't common enough to worry about.

Another thing I miss is wandering the back streets randomly and running into really cool people there. Breaking into a spontaneous little RP session just by talking to each other in character, or deciding to run their new AE arc because it sounds cool and they're fun to hang out with ( ;) ).

A really big one for me is the breathtaking variety of different costumes you could make. There was a group called Hero Dawn on Virtue that held regular costume contests, most of them themed, and I went to every one I could. I loved checking out the amazing entries they always had, and after a while I even started entering them myself. That group and their contests is the reason I came to love making costumes so much. I got pretty good at it near the end there, too... which is also entirely thanks to them. Their contests, and the people who gathered there, were downright inspiring.

Even now when I see a cool looking character in a movie or comic, it gives me new ideas and I'll want to jump into the tailor. Cause it wasn't just one kind of character you could make... no no. You could make darn near anything. For example, all morning I've been obsessed with making a robot dog named "Rover 9000". No real reason, it just came to me and I wanted to see how it would turn out. City of Heroes was the only game where that could be a playable character, as opposed to just a nametag over a generic avatar or a generic pet companion. (Well okay, the only game of that kind that I actually care to play.)

Of course, two of my favorite parts have been mostly given back to us thanks to Codewalker's Icon program. I can now zip around checking out the scenery again, in a fully costumed character. And while I would prefer having super jump or ninja run be a travel option as well, you won't catch me complaining! It's already helped a lot just being able to see my characters in motion again, to wander the streets of the city.

Now I'm just wondering how hard it would be to organize a costume contest using screenshots. Hmmm...

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 02:39:46 PM »
1. Friends and the family like feeling I had playing with some of them.
2. The game as a whole.

I never have had as many online friends as I had in city of heroes. Now I'm basically solo again with one, sometimes two friends that play CO, STO and DCUO with me. I've been trying to seek out some of my friends from Liberty but I'm guessing most have simply stopped playing mmos completely. I had a group of friends in SWTOR but friendships and fun have been ruined over time by greed and other factors. Our guild fell apart because people couldn't get along. One guy was kicked because he couldn't follow the Raiding rules; Rule which normally wouldn't exist in Coh because of its completely different raid system. We eventually joined the guild her went to when ours fell apart and that one eventually fell apart as well due to greed and other factors and finally just gave up after our raid team fell apart.

Our raid team lost members due to the bickering and the dislike for the new raid content. The transition from EV and Karagga to Explosive conflict wasn't fun at all for any of us. The swtor team decided to listen to people saying the content was too easy and made even the normal mode of this new raid ridiculously hard and quite lengthy compared to the previous raid content. I heard the next raid was a little more relaxed but our group fell apart so I'm pretty much just not playing anymore.

I've basically made DCUO and STO my home until we get CoX back. I have made a CoX Liberty League in dcuo hoping to find some of my friends from liberty to team and raid with but if someone reading this knows me from liberty and has a group with that liberty family feeling to it I might be interested in joining. I really miss my liberty friends.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 05:07:15 PM »
What's really frustrating is when I try to describe all (or even SOME) of the things I miss about CoH to people who never played it, and I get reactions like I'm making up a fantasy wishlist of impossible game features (as opposed to talking about an actual game I played for years).

It still continues to amaze me how unique CoH was.

LadyImmolatasia

• Minion
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 05:12:00 PM »
God, I miss the game in so many ways. I remember and get nostalgic every time I hear the soft tones of Steel Canyon's music off of the tram near The Copper District; it was one of the first big sights that wowed me when I started playing nine years ago. I had my ill-fated Blaster/devices toon back in "The City of Blasters" issue zero days. Got her up to level 14 and remembered getting there right after Perez Park.

I miss Atlas, I miss Pocket D, Port Oakes, Cap. I remember running missions with my first big villain-turned hero Lady Immolatasia, made her close to when Villains launched and she became my staple main. It's been a long history, and I've seen the dawn of the game, to the rise of Praetoria to its end. This game needs to come back. It's just not fair to have lost such an enormous piece of gaming history and creative expression.

I've played the game with two of my real life best friends, and made countless others through the game itself.

So, even after six months, like a lot of others, I'm not going to give up hope. If CoX is too big, we have the Phoenix Projects. Someday we will have what we love again.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 05:53:26 PM »
What's really frustrating is when I try to describe all (or even SOME) of the things I miss about CoH to people who never played it, and I get reactions like I'm making up a fantasy wishlist of impossible game features (as opposed to talking about an actual game I played for years).

I feel the same way.  The standard of MMO's has litterally devolved rather than evolved anymore.  Many have stated that the MMO genre has lost tons for losing CoH because it was very unique in that it wasn't filled with the fake longevity of excessive grinding nore did teaming require everyone conform to the holy trinity.  Teaming was about fun, as was playing the game in general.  When I describe that we had buffs/debuffs and crowd control that really stopped incoming damage people often reply to me "yeah, right.".  They even go as far as to say Guild wars 2 failed at that(god I hope not, but I don't wanna bother with it with the way NCSoft and Nexxon have rubbed me the wrong way).

It's honestly sickening to me, I refuse to play most mmo's because well thats all they are; carbon copies of one another that had no innovation for the past decade, and they think i'm the loser for it.  Well, I think they are the losers for playing carbon copies of games from the 1990s.  Here we had this little light in the darkness of clones and NCsoft snuffed it.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Nebularian

• Boss
    • Voyages of Imagination
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 06:13:54 PM »
I miss so much about COH.

Yeah, I miss teaming with my friends.   and I miss the times I went solo.

I miss the satisfaction of keeping a team alive (despite the best efforts of tanks that thought they were bigger and badder than they really were  ;D)

I miss the story arcs...sigh....I created a toon concept completely around her hatred of the Council.

I don't think I ever lost the sense of awe I felt when I first played.  And I think I miss that most. In comparison, all other games pale.
(@Nebularian)(AKA Dylan Clearbrook) Champion/Virtue - Nebularian/Sgt. Raines/Nurse Darklight/Cosmicana-Cosmicella/Mercy Vengeance/Angel Sprite/Suzy Uzi/Blue Arc/Dark Carolyne 

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 08:04:39 PM »
There are too many things I miss about Coh to list them all.  But if forced into naming one thing about the game that is about the game that I miss, I miss getting on my assault/devices blaster and joining an assault blaster team.  There's nothing like laying down full auto with targeting drone and the accuracy power from the leadership pool power set.  Can't be blinded.  With 8 of us, talk about a slaughter.

If I could name 2 things, it would be my fire/rad corruptor.  She was fun.  Almost unhittable.  She would have to tie with my fire/kenetics corr.  The fire/kin could drop some serious dmg.

But in truth what I miss most about the game isn't so much the game as it is all of you.

Sometimes, I will often turn on the coh music while playing other mmos.  Interestingly enough, the music fits well there too.  Sometimes even better than the mmo's music fits itself. 

I have been considering taking one of the open source back end engines and building my base.  Maybe even put in the elements that I could only use my imagination for.  It would take a lot of work but I could host the back-end on one of my many Linux or FreeBSD VMs.
No Surrender!

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 09:00:51 PM »

Just print out this list and read/show it to them.

I Knew an MMO that...

Blitzwing

• Lieutenant
  • Boot to the Head!
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2013, 11:52:12 PM »
We all miss it in our own ways....

Mine take the form of memories of classic moments from my time there(July 2004 to November/December 2009).  :)

I think it was the original Positron TF(and I'll gladly stand corrected on facets of this story), and we had finished a particularly rough mission; beaten-up, but intact...; we exited the building, and the hairs on the back of my neck stand up with no warning...I look to the left...and see a rather large mob heading STRAIGHT FOR US!!  O_O;

Cue a collective 'Oh, SHI-' from the group as it proceeds to lay into us while we're still recovering...I'm still not sure how we managed to get out of that ambush in 1 piece....   8)

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2013, 11:59:31 PM »

Goes to show the sheer amount of potential customers PS/NCsoft missed by not egtting the word out.

I dont think I came across a single person that I described the game to that said, "Man, that game sound like it sucked." Like most other games, when described get mixed reaction. Even CO. Not COX though. And not a single one of them ever even heard of the game prior to me telling them about it pre- and post closing.

As time go on, and more people I come across that said the ywould play a game as described. Three yesterday, not friends, complete strangers, said they would have never even bothered with WoW if they knew a game like COX existed. And that is merely a few within a an half hour within a small desert town. Now imagine in places like LA, Atlanta, New York City, Chicago (assuming they dont get shot first), St Louis, Seattle and etc.

Blue Pulsar

• Boss
  • Epic Mediocrity
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2013, 12:32:04 AM »

QFT
Blue Pulsar - 50 nrg/kin def - first toon - Liberty
Bane of Lanur - 52 nec/dark MM - Main vill - Liberty
Destan H. - 53 SS/FA brute - Farm/PvP hybrid - Freedom
Destan's Fury - 53 StJ/Regen brute - PvPer - Freedom
Destan's Shadow Gang - 53 Thug/Dark MM - PvPer - Freedom

HeatSpike1

• Boss
  • CoH Global: @HeatSpike1
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2013, 01:47:30 PM »
Goes to show the sheer amount of potential customers PS/NCsoft missed by not egtting the word out.

I dont think I came across a single person that I described the game to that said, "Man, that game sound like it sucked." Like most other games, when described get mixed reaction. Even CO. Not COX though. And not a single one of them ever even heard of the game prior to me telling them about it pre- and post closing.

As time go on, and more people I come across that said the ywould play a game as described. Three yesterday, not friends, complete strangers, said they would have never even bothered with WoW if they knew a game like COX existed. And that is merely a few within a an half hour within a small desert town. Now imagine in places like LA, Atlanta, New York City, Chicago (assuming they dont get shot first), St Louis, Seattle and etc.

True. 

Almost none of my friends had ever heard about CoX until I mentioned it.  But based on the uniqueness and originality that I explained to them, they all loved the game after trying it.  NCSoft should have made greater efforts in advertising CoX.  Afterall, I only heard of it through word of mouth from a friend...

Mazz vs The World

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2013, 03:39:10 PM »
I never heard anything about COH. I just so happen to be in Wal-Mart (don't judge me) one day cruising for a new xbox or ps3 game and I came across this blue box with a hero on the front. I picked it up, read about it, and bought it. My love for COH grew from there! This was an amazing game. I'm sure like all games it has it's fair share of "haters", but most people who I've introduced it to loved it. I still can't believe a game of it's caliber is gone cause nothing touches it right now but maybe that's why it closed. It was too good and would take away from other games that other companies want to put out like the Marvel crap game that's out now.

JennSpace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2013, 04:13:45 PM »
Missed in action in the Rikti War Zone, almost 2 years ago.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2013, 01:21:38 AM »
One thing I miss is the opportunity to rant in chat about just about anything.

I got lots of mileage out of the change in footstep sounds.

MindBlender

• Boss
  • My Main was a healer, wish he was here now.
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2013, 04:34:09 AM »
All my computer skill was used up on my Commodore 64 decades ago...