Author Topic: Will NCSoft strike again??  (Read 7067 times)

sorinkon

• Lieutenant
  • CoH WILL RISE AGAIN IN MINECRAFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • COH Minecraft
Will NCSoft strike again??
« on: May 21, 2013, 08:51:07 PM »
since City of heroes was making alot more money than guild wars the first one does anyone think NCSoft could shut the first 1 down for a new game??
if NCSoft really wants to stay alive will they give up on keeping City of Heroes down??  i've Played Guild Wars, Aion, and City of Heroes,  the thing is City of Heroes caught my attention by level 10 no other game did except for World of Warcraft but now... even that is boring.. I've tried everything.....
Perfect World, DC Universe, Champions, Allods, WoW, Aion, Neverwinter, DDO, and the list continues..... nothing caught my eye like City of Heroes did,
Does anyone think they will shut down Guild wars and keep Guild Wars 2?

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
Re: Will NCSoft strike again??
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 08:55:47 PM »
GW probably will stay in maintain mode or what ever they call it.

Eventually ncsoft will shut down another game in the future. Probably not GW, yet at least but could be a current title or future one.

But between then and now ncsoft might decided no more game shut downs and cox was the last.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 09:02:09 PM »
since City of heroes was making alot more money than guild wars the first one does anyone think NCSoft could shut the first 1 down for a new game??
if NCSoft really wants to stay alive will they give up on keeping City of Heroes down??  i've Played Guild Wars, Aion, and City of Heroes,  the thing is City of Heroes caught my attention by level 10 no other game did except for World of Warcraft but now... even that is boring.. I've tried everything.....
Perfect World, DC Universe, Champions, Allods, WoW, Aion, Neverwinter, DDO, and the list continues..... nothing caught my eye like City of Heroes did,
Does anyone think they will shut down Guild wars and keep Guild Wars 2?

I take it you saw the announcement that GW1 is now in "automatic pilot" mode.  No new patches, bug fixes, events, etc.  Just keep the servers, forums and wiki running.  It's simply will be available for anyone who owns the game who still to play and this will likely go on as long as GW2 is bringing in the money.

There is a "special" relationship between ArenaNet and NCSOFT.  It's possible that when they were bought ANet got the rights to the GW IP so if NCSOFT every cuts them off then ANet takes it's money makers with them.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 11:26:23 PM »
If only Cryptic had been that smart!

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 11:37:39 PM »
If only Cryptic had been that smart!
Why?  They got money, NCSOFT got the IP, Cryptic was never bothered by them again. 

You forget that Paragon was an entity set up by NCSOFT from the beginning.  They did all the hiring.  They could have hired a bunch of newbie devs to handle the game but they decided it was probably best to hire those who were working on it before the sell off, even if they could have stayed behind at Cryptic.  It's not as if Cryptic "sold" their devs along with the IP, they simply allowed NCSOFT to approach them with an offer.

DarkCurrent

• Boss
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 12:17:30 AM »
Simple answer:  Yes.

Complex answer:  Yes of course.

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 12:00:46 PM »
I take it you saw the announcement that GW1 is now in "automatic pilot" mode.  No new patches, bug fixes, events, etc.  Just keep the servers, forums and wiki running.  It's simply will be available for anyone who owns the game who still to play and this will likely go on as long as GW2 is bringing in the money.

That's not entirely true; from the article I read, game-breaking bugs will get fixed, but no 'annoyance' bugs will. So an "If I do this in-game, my client crashes to desktop" bug would get fixed, while an "If I do this, my attack does half the damage it's supposed to" wouldn't.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 01:22:42 PM »
Why?  They got money, NCSOFT got the IP, Cryptic was never bothered by them again. 

You forget that Paragon was an entity set up by NCSOFT from the beginning.  They did all the hiring.  They could have hired a bunch of newbie devs to handle the game but they decided it was probably best to hire those who were working on it before the sell off, even if they could have stayed behind at Cryptic.  It's not as if Cryptic "sold" their devs along with the IP, they simply allowed NCSOFT to approach them with an offer.

At least the IP would have gone back automatically to Cryptic.  They might have buried it too but I also think they would have been more open to selling.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 11:28:21 PM by saipaman »

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 05:12:35 PM »
Am I the only one who noticed that the idea of NCSoft putting something on "Maintenance Mode" is a touch outside their normal behavior? Wouldn't they normally just say something like "there's not enough people playing" or "the game isn't profitable" and just shut it down like they've done with all their other games...?

This has me wondering two things. Is Guild Wars getting special treatment because of some sort of agreement with the developers(Since it sounds like ArenaNet might still own the IP I guess... Haven't been paying too much attention to NCSoft's other titles really, and probably won't now, so I'm not as up to date on the other titles, past and present, as some of you are...),?

The other question this brings up would be, is NCSoft wising up after the stink we made over how City of Heroes was handled? Especially in such a small window of time since CoH's closure, I'm wondering if they're trying to have this go quietly into maintenance mode to not make themselves look worse to their customers... It is odd though that they're doing this a mere 6 months after closing CoH down... Did we really make such an impact on them that they're hurting now, or am I reading too much into this?

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 05:57:42 PM »
ArenaNet probably has a bit more pull than most*, since GW2's sales numbers pretty much single-handedly pulled NCSoft out of the big dive in revenues they would have seen in Q4 2012 and Q1 2013 otherwise.

* at the moment...

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 06:08:58 PM »
Am I the only one who noticed that the idea of NCSoft putting something on "Maintenance Mode" is a touch outside their normal behavior? Wouldn't they normally just say something like "there's not enough people playing" or "the game isn't profitable" and just shut it down like they've done with all their other games...?

This has me wondering two things. Is Guild Wars getting special treatment because of some sort of agreement with the developers(Since it sounds like ArenaNet might still own the IP I guess... Haven't been paying too much attention to NCSoft's other titles really, and probably won't now, so I'm not as up to date on the other titles, past and present, as some of you are...),?

The other question this brings up would be, is NCSoft wising up after the stink we made over how City of Heroes was handled? Especially in such a small window of time since CoH's closure, I'm wondering if they're trying to have this go quietly into maintenance mode to not make themselves look worse to their customers... It is odd though that they're doing this a mere 6 months after closing CoH down... Did we really make such an impact on them that they're hurting now, or am I reading too much into this?

I asked similar questions in another post.

Could be all, some or none of the above. Hell, it could be luck of the draw or last time decided at some meeting that "ok we'll shut down COX but next game what ever it is we'll put into maintance mode." Or could be even that since I dont think Arenanet was created by NCSoft, it was more hassle to close it than they thought was worth. Like if Cryptic still owned major part of COX, it probably would have slipped into maintence mode too compared to the game being part of a studio created by and for ncsoft which is easy to shutdown because they own it 100%. Who knows. They might keep up normal behavior by keeping mum about it.

MaHaBone

• Minion
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 07:21:04 PM »
...why would you ever bother to play another NCSoft game ever again?

Fool me once...

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 07:28:32 PM »
...why would you ever bother to play another NCSoft game ever again?

Fool me once...
Because games are fun.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

MaHaBone

• Minion
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 07:37:33 PM »
Because games are fun.

Games are fun. Which just makes it suck even more when they get taken from you.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 11:14:35 PM »
Because games are fun.

I don't know how much thought you've put into your business/customer relationship with NCSoft, or if you've put much thought into it at all, because obviously, I don't know you. I have friends that take this attitude, "I"m playing GW2 because it's fun!" And part of the reason I don't debate with them too much is because I envy them for it. I used to approach more things like that and maybe I was better off. I've tried to explain my side to my friends, too. Some of them understand, and some of them just don't have any clue what my deal is (yes, even after the explanation).

Even if I never spoke about it publicly, even if I never publicly boycotted NCSoft or said anything good or bad about them ever again, even if I went along and joined my friends over there, even though it's just a video game, I'd still have to put up with a sick feeling in my stomach if I continued to be a customer of NCSoft. I couldn't change that sick feeling if I tried. This goes deeper than principle, it's something inside my personality. The effect this had on thousands of people has been heart-wrenching to watch and read about. And I can't banish the feeling that something wrong happened or that something different should have happened.

If by chance you're thinking, "Well, sucks to be you, Cap." Well, fair enough, I guess.

MaHaBone

• Minion
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 11:16:41 PM »
It'll be a cold day in hell when NCSoft gets another dime from me.

Tanklet

• Boss
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2013, 11:36:23 PM »
I keep hearing about this "special relationship" between ArenaNet & NC$oft ... but let's take a look at some facts ...

Fact: NC$oft laid off quite a few ANet employees. Why didn't this "special relationship" do anything to salvage developer jobs?

Fact: Money paid into GW2 does not go back into GW2, and heck, doesn't even go directly to ArenaNet ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3F_ZcvR-pg ).

So ... only after NC$oft has lined their pockets for the quarter do they get to decide it's okay for ANet to work on content?

I'm sorry, but until I actually see proof of this "special relationship," I consider it nothing more than baseless conjecture.

Rust

• Elite Boss
  • Oddball
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2013, 11:43:55 PM »
I'm going to assume the black eye we gave them over the closure of City is making them skittish about pulling the same stunt with GW1. Heck, Sony still operates official servers for Everquest.

If you've made your money back on the game, it really doesn't cost you anything to keep it running. Part of City's "problem" if you will is that content was released for it on a regular basis making it a constant development drain. When's the last time Guild Wars had new content?
All that I'm after is a life filled with laughter

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2013, 12:56:44 AM »
I don't know how much thought you've put into your business/customer relationship with NCSoft, or if you've put much thought into it at all, because obviously, I don't know you. I have friends that take this attitude, "I"m playing GW2 because it's fun!" And part of the reason I don't debate with them too much is because I envy them for it. I used to approach more things like that and maybe I was better off. I've tried to explain my side to my friends, too. Some of them understand, and some of them just don't have any clue what my deal is (yes, even after the explanation).

Even if I never spoke about it publicly, even if I never publicly boycotted NCSoft or said anything good or bad about them ever again, even if I went along and joined my friends over there, even though it's just a video game, I'd still have to put up with a sick feeling in my stomach if I continued to be a customer of NCSoft. I couldn't change that sick feeling if I tried. This goes deeper than principle, it's something inside my personality. The effect this had on thousands of people has been heart-wrenching to watch and read about. And I can't banish the feeling that something wrong happened or that something different should have happened.

If by chance you're thinking, "Well, sucks to be you, Cap." Well, fair enough, I guess.

Well Cap., that is oe of the normal feelings of being burnt. Remember back in the days of COH especially not long after the Tabula Rasa fiasco many people on the old forum was talking and feelign the same way you do and trying to warn people and mostly got flamed and rebuffed, because COX was fun to play and many that tried to warn got dismissed immediately as doom sayers? Of course there wasnt obvious signs that NCSoft would close COX anytime soon but people been warning about NCSoft practices by the time they shut down their third game, Exteel, not including the Korean server they closed prior.

Unfortunately we are on the other end of what other ex-ncsoft players been saying publically. And like many of us did on the old forum, many still gave NCsoft money, dismissed them, didnt beieve them, some flamed and trolled them, and didnt have a single clue of what their deal was and thought they were merely bat mess crazy. Same reaction sometimes when tryign to share the experience of what happened to COX to other gamers. Some will flame, some will dismiss, and some wont understand at all, like many did in the past when COX was up and running.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2013, 04:45:19 AM »
I keep hearing about this "special relationship" between ArenaNet & NC$oft ... but let's take a look at some facts ...

Fact: NC$oft laid off quite a few ANet employees. Why didn't this "special relationship" do anything to salvage developer jobs?

Fact: Money paid into GW2 does not go back into GW2, and heck, doesn't even go directly to ArenaNet ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3F_ZcvR-pg ).

So ... only after NC$oft has lined their pockets for the quarter do they get to decide it's okay for ANet to work on content?

I'm sorry, but until I actually see proof of this "special relationship," I consider it nothing more than baseless conjecture.

Ah Jeez the Dontain video cropped up here now.

He's drawing conclusions from a news article about the 1Q earnings where the NCSOFT mouth piece again says an expansion is due for GW2.  He quotes this article.  Problem is that article doesn't say anything he attributed to it.

He is reading into that so badly it's sad.  On top of that it ignores that ANet the next day again dismissed the notion that they will be doing an expansion anytime in the foreseeable future.  But lets go back to his assertion that NCSOFT said they and not ArenaNet decided to fund an expansion.  Where does it say that in either the Polygon article or any article reporting on the conference call?  Nowhere.  And it's that assertion the NCSOFT is funding it which leads to his declaration that the Cash shop money doesn't flow back to ArenaNet.

At one level he is sort of, if you squint, right.  ArenaNet is owned 100%, via a holding company, by NCSOFT.  All sales of GW2 go into NCSOFT's pockets.  Or you could say any profits ArenaNet has after deducting operating costs, overhead, R&D, etc. goes right back to NCSOFT.  You could say that from a corporate PoV, NCSOFT calls the shots whether an expansion or new game is developed by one of their studios.  But we, at least those that realize what 100% wholly owned subsidiary means and have looked at all of the published investor info for the last 7 years, knew that.

NCSOFT isn't just a publisher who gets a cut.  They are the boss.  Now how much they dictate day to day affairs if ArenaNet is in question since ArenaNet seems to have no problem publicly saying NCSOFT is wrong every time corporate says they are working on an expansion.  You have to remember NCSOFT's rep during the phone call is answering questions from large investors and stock analysts and the "income just from cash shop" is completely new to a major NCSOFT MMO.  These folk can't believe an MMO can survive just on that so they keep pestering about "when is the expansion coming out?"  So NCSOFT tries it's best to keep these folks happy by saying that an expansion is coming eventually.  So the press skimming the transcript or the CC itself reports expansion in the works and we end up with videos on YouTube spouting how ArenaNet isn't in control of it's own destiny.

And before someone perks up about it, yes GW had a cash shop but the bulk of the sales it had came from box sales from the 3 expanshalone games (they were like CoV) and the one true expansion (plus all the combo box sets and the like).  The GW cash shop had mainly account based items like renames, character slots, feature unlocks and makeover kits but they did have a few costumes.  The cash shop in GW2 is more like what you would find on other cash shop MMOs.  Besides what was found in GW's cash shop, GW2 has various boosters, grab bags, costume pieces as well as sets, but nothing that could be construed as B2W.

Dontain then goes off about the lack of a true expansion and what ANet is doing, which is dribbling a story out like how we had the Signature Story chapters.  He misses the "expansalones" that GW had.  A new level 1-20 content every year or so.  GW2 isn't even out a year yet, it has level 1-80 content across 5 races (well 1-60/70 content for each race with an end game area for all races to 80).

Then he goes off about their grab bags with a slight chance for a rare armor or weapon skins.  Sounds familiar (cough, booster packs, cough)?  He even mentions the currency exchange which lets you buy the proxy currency used in the cash store with in game gold.  It was set up with a floating exchange rate.  The more gems the player base buys with gold, the higher the rate goes.  It's okay because a high rate should attract player who buy gems with cash to then convert them into gold, a legal RMT system, which would lower the exchange rate.

Actually he checks off just about every major complaint that has a vocal minority on the forums.  Content too easy, RNG driven rewards, currency exchange and whatever else he is going to rant about for the remaining 14 minutes I'm not willing to listen to (I'm going to guess time gated rewards, too may currencies, performance issues, problems with crafting for profit, strict enforcement of conduct, end game conduct, no LFG feature, no MMO triad).

He's someone with his little video soap box on the corner and is going to give his perspective on the state of that game and since he's unhappy about it, because ANet tried to make a friendly MMO, he's going to have very little positive things to say.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 04:51:32 AM by FatherXmas »