Author Topic: Will NCSoft strike again??  (Read 7069 times)

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
Re: Will NCSoft strike again??
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2013, 05:47:20 AM »
I don't know how much thought you've put into your business/customer relationship with NCSoft, or if you've put much thought into it at all, because obviously, I don't know you. I have friends that take this attitude, "I"m playing GW2 because it's fun!" And part of the reason I don't debate with them too much is because I envy them for it. I used to approach more things like that and maybe I was better off. I've tried to explain my side to my friends, too. Some of them understand, and some of them just don't have any clue what my deal is (yes, even after the explanation).

Even if I never spoke about it publicly, even if I never publicly boycotted NCSoft or said anything good or bad about them ever again, even if I went along and joined my friends over there, even though it's just a video game, I'd still have to put up with a sick feeling in my stomach if I continued to be a customer of NCSoft. I couldn't change that sick feeling if I tried. This goes deeper than principle, it's something inside my personality. The effect this had on thousands of people has been heart-wrenching to watch and read about. And I can't banish the feeling that something wrong happened or that something different should have happened.

If by chance you're thinking, "Well, sucks to be you, Cap." Well, fair enough, I guess.

Don't worry you are not alone. Many other former CoH players feel this way. I just do my part and use grass roots efforts to get the word out about NCSoft Customer Service.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2013, 10:32:52 AM »
This is maybe just me being pessimistic, but I give it three months tops before they get a shutdown announcement just as infuriating as the one we got.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2013, 05:44:28 PM »
This is maybe just me being pessimistic, but I give it three months tops before they get a shutdown announcement just as infuriating as the one we got.

What Guild Wars 2?  It's making more money than their much lauded Blade & Soul, 2nd last quarter to their diehard Lineage.  How on one hand people insist that CoH earning $4 million a month is doing well but GW2 earning $11 million a month is on the verge of being shut down?
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Dollhouse

• Boss
  • "What will happen? Will I dream?"
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2013, 06:20:14 PM »
What Guild Wars 2?  It's making more money than their much lauded Blade & Soul, 2nd last quarter to their diehard Lineage.  How on one hand people insist that CoH earning $4 million a month is doing well but GW2 earning $11 million a month is on the verge of being shut down?

I suspect the General was talking about GW1. From maintenance mode to shutdown in a quarter wouldn't surprise me, really.

That said, I also suspect that the very last thing NCSoft wants right now is another PR shitstorm. They're pretty clueless about the Western market...but I think the ramifications of the CoH shutdown debacle managed to get through to them.

Rejuvenatrix

• Underling
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2013, 04:43:27 AM »
I don't know how much thought you've put into your business/customer relationship with NCSoft, or if you've put much thought into it at all, because obviously, I don't know you. I have friends that take this attitude, "I"m playing GW2 because it's fun!" And part of the reason I don't debate with them too much is because I envy them for it. I used to approach more things like that and maybe I was better off. I've tried to explain my side to my friends, too. Some of them understand, and some of them just don't have any clue what my deal is (yes, even after the explanation).

Even if I never spoke about it publicly, even if I never publicly boycotted NCSoft or said anything good or bad about them ever again, even if I went along and joined my friends over there, even though it's just a video game, I'd still have to put up with a sick feeling in my stomach if I continued to be a customer of NCSoft. I couldn't change that sick feeling if I tried. This goes deeper than principle, it's something inside my personality. The effect this had on thousands of people has been heart-wrenching to watch and read about. And I can't banish the feeling that something wrong happened or that something different should have happened.

If by chance you're thinking, "Well, sucks to be you, Cap." Well, fair enough, I guess."

I know just how you feel  :-[

Sleepy Wonder

• Boss
  • MWM: Programmer, UI Designer, Bases
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2013, 12:13:06 PM »
Having any MMORPG go into maintenance mode kind of defeats the purpose of it being an MMO, and I can't really see it as anything other than an eventual death sentence.*

While this doesn't mean the game is unplayable, and might have a lot of replay value for current players - eventually the population IS going to decline as the masses lose interest (and there goes the community, aka the lifeblood of any MMO). Eventually you'll have a hand full of die hards playing it until everyone forgets about it.

Then there's the looming cloud constantly hanging over, where everyone knows the shutdown notice could come at any time. Sounds kind of dismal.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2013, 10:10:43 PM »

I was talking about Guild Wars 1, not 2. GW2 I fully expect to continue on for at least a few years, though having played it I still think shutting it down would be a blessing even if it's not justified yet.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2013, 10:33:48 PM »
My bad.  At least with GW1 still open all the GW2 players who complain that it's not just like GW1 will have someplace to go and play rather than complain incessantly about it on the GW2 forums.

Ha, ya right.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2013, 03:02:23 PM »
Out of curiosity, can you still buy GW1 and its expansions now? If so, are they still charging full price for them?

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2013, 05:16:31 PM »
Yes they are available at the NCSOFT store.