Author Topic: Iron Man 3 and spoilers ahead  (Read 13153 times)

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
Iron Man 3 and spoilers ahead
« on: May 02, 2013, 09:32:08 PM »
No, haven't seen it yet but the sneaks in my area are starting tonight at 9p.  I'll probably go to the midnight show because I'm a traditionalist.

Now I've been noticing a trend to eliminate lots of midnight showings by having a few theaters start showing sneaks from 9p on.  Oblivion was handled similarly.

Also I find it interesting, and about time, that the 2D version has more showings than the 3D tonight.  Well that's not quite true.  They split the 3D between regular and "IMAX" theaters.  Friday for instance is 15 showing 2D, 10 showings 3D, 5 showings IMAX 3D.  Has Hollywood start to realize that we don't want 3D if it's just throwing things at the audience or flying though things on screen?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 07:41:16 AM by FatherXmas »
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
Re: Iron Man 3
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 11:03:43 PM »
Yezz....I hope it's good....To be honest, kind of looks depressing.

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 03:19:14 AM »
Depressing builds characters better.  This is about Tony coming to terms with the fact he is not actually indestructable, and is more responsible than ever before, re: Pepper.  And balancing that personal side of him, and still being Iron Man.

Oh, and totally trying to save everyone and not die, that part is in there too. :)

/Totally guessing, but sorta looks like it's the things.

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 04:17:57 AM »
Got back from my 9pm showing a little while ago. Definitely like it and am curious how it's going to tie in with Avengers 2.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
Re: Iron Man 3 and spoilers ahead
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 08:10:13 AM »
The Extremis story arc was after I stopped following Iron Man, which aligned with me getting into Anime, manga and assorted cons.

I enjoyed it.  The midnight 2D showing at my theater had a really large contingent of real geek girls who were nerding out over the various armors.

Interesting twist with the Mandarin.

I was disappointed at the post trailer scene.  Yes the one at the very end of The Avengers was funny but every other one before including the first one in The Avengers hinted at the next movie or beyond.  This was just "funny".

On one hand, this wraps up an Iron Man trilogy with a big bow and if they never make another one, it would be OK.  Sure I think there will be more RDJ as Tony Stark but it will require Disney to use an increasing number of dump trucks full of cash.

So thumbs up, enjoy, definitely better than IM2 and Thor (which felt rushed).

As for previews, all I can remember is After Earth, Thor 2, Hangover 3, FF6 and Lone Ranger.  The crowd openly mocked H3 and FF6.

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 06:39:09 PM »
Meh for me.  There was a good movie in there, but it felt like those good parts (or at least informative ones) ended up on the cutting room floor.  I also didn't care for the kid storyline.  Overly saccharine, dealing with today's "trendy" topic about bullies and kind of semi-creepy.  I did like Ben Kingsley a lot, Rebecca Hall is always good and all the returning cast were great.  It was the story that left me meh'd.

Some weird choices in this one.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 07:18:39 PM »
It was a cross between Extremis and The Five Nightmares arcs from the comics.
Not bad, though one quote from Extremis would really have worked better for the monologue at the end:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ZJ-ghF7ZAjM#t=104s
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 07:43:29 PM »
I enjoyed the movie overall, but I hated the use of the Mandarin.  It was much better than the second movie though.  There was a decent battle sequence, and I actually enjoyed the bit with the kid.  The Mandarin thing was a big letdown, though.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 08:51:18 PM »
From what I've seen, most of the fanboy hate stems from the somewhat major rewrite of the Extremis story and the "twist" with the Mandarin.

Unless you except Killian's claim at the end that he was always the Mandarin.  Of course he's smote right after that so there's little to back up that claim.  Well he did have those dragon tats and could breath fire.  But would that make him more Fin Fang Foom-ish than Mandarin-ish?

Olde Glory

• Minion
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 08:07:13 AM »
While I enjoyed the movie, what really struck me was how much the international market had an impact on the story. The Mandarin has always been a Chinese villain. Not in a general sense, but a very specific "from China" villain. The fact that he was completely rewritten (including a "southern-baptist" accent) really didn't make sense to me. China is a huge market and Marvel was never going to risk losing that by using The Mandarin in a traditional sense. It felt like they went to a lot of effort to explain the "twist" when the entire thing could have been side-stepped without him.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2013, 08:35:13 AM »
While I enjoyed the movie, what really struck me was how much the international market had an impact on the story. The Mandarin has always been a Chinese villain. Not in a general sense, but a very specific "from China" villain. The fact that he was completely rewritten (including a "southern-baptist" accent) really didn't make sense to me. China is a huge market and Marvel was never going to risk losing that by using The Mandarin in a traditional sense. It felt like they went to a lot of effort to explain the "twist" when the entire thing could have been side-stepped without him.

Remember back last year when the remake of Red Dawn came out.  Now originally they filmed it so the Chinese were the bad guys.  The Chinese weren't happy.  So a bunch of money was spent to change all the flags and uniforms so the bad guys were North Korean.

So firstly, not so sure they wanted a native super villain.  Secondly since the Ten Rings were fighting in Afghanistan in the first film, it was implied that perhaps the Mandarin didn't have to be Chinese at all.  Of course he could have been a western educated Chinese tech mogul out to get Stark but we did the whole business rival thing with Iron Man 2.

And they could have had an awesome extra scene featuring AIM's shadowy "Board of Directors" discussing who will step in to take the title, Mandarin.  After all if they were going to do a throw away scene that has no bearing to Marvel Phase II, post Avengers movie cycle, throw the fanboys a bone.  I'm not talking including someone like MODOK but you could have set them up as an opposite number to SHIELD, tie them in with Hydra from the first Capt America movie.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2013, 05:47:31 PM »
What do you mean, "next"? Killian wasn't exactly shown to die last I recall...
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

fdbryant3

• Minion
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2013, 10:37:59 PM »
Overall I liked the movie.  My main complaint is that while I liked the storyline I wish they weren't using the character the Mandarin or calling the tech Extremis since that wasn't what it was.  Well it may be a moot point because who know if there will be an IM4.  If there is though perhaps they can set up the explanation of the Mandarin as being a title of a position within the Ten Rings organization and have the next one surface wielding alien tech giving him incredible powers.

On the other hand I think I'd want more time before they revisit the Mandarin.  Oh well.

Also it would have been nice to have Tony using the armor more (really kinda getting tired of story lines about lets take away this character base of power and see how they do, I want to see them using their power).  Could of used a little less goofiness (kinda had the some complaint about the Avengers), I'm not saying it shouldn't be in there but just hit me the wrong way.

I did enjoy it though, good action, bought the twist even to seeing it as something AIM might do, and liked that they were following up on the event after the Avengers.

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2013, 01:42:40 PM »

Also it would have been nice to have Tony using the armor more (really kinda getting tired of story lines about lets take away this character base of power and see how they do, I want to see them using their power). 

Completely agree.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2013, 04:33:23 PM »
For me, Ironman was my favorite super hero growing up because Tony Stark's super power was his brain.  He wasn't a mutant, alien, got his powers through exposure to radiation, chemicals, insect bites, etc.  He built it.  So the best way to show off Tony Stark's "super power" is to take away the suit and show him improvising and out thinking the bad guys.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2013, 04:48:53 PM »
I liked Ironman 3.

Mind you, I have no idea about super hero lore and how it supposed to be outside Batman, and Watchmen.

The Mandarin twist was strange (funny as heck too) but good. It's one of the few twists in a movie in ages that I didnt see coming from a mile away aka super obvious.

From the little I think I know the Mandarin was supposed to be of Chinese origin or something but meh, they change origin in movies depending on time period. Plus getting tired  of the obvious the foriegner is always the villain kind and the American is the wholesome good old boy super hero. It was funny to see this big bad dude in the previews is nothing more than some actor putting on a show and the real villain is (or was up to that point) behind the scenes. That is pretty realistic how it works many times, especially in this time period of mankind, especially in the corporate world. Many corporations put on this image of clean wholesome, looking out for the people and the foreigner is the big bad villain but it's the american corporation that funded, gave them weapons, and gave them access to the local soil to do the dirty work so they can sell more, say for example, security systems or help push a law into being. Of course the face gets blamed, and the corporate suits walk away with lot of money and clean hands. Or like cheap products. Owned by american corporation, cheap easy to use but the dirt they hide is they contribute more to the economy to say China upper levels than they do to the American economy that bails them out while getting laid off so these corporations can go to Asia and have people 18 hour shifts for money where they cant even afford a roof in their own country with no benefits in conditions that would make the JP Morgan(the person) blush. Yet turn around on US tv saying they dont support the human rights issue of a specific Asian country work conditions when at the same time they own 85% of those places.

Mental Maden

• Boss
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2013, 05:17:35 PM »
For me, Ironman was my favorite super hero growing up because Tony Stark's super power was his brain.  He wasn't a mutant, alien, got his powers through exposure to radiation, chemicals, insect bites, etc.  He built it.  So the best way to show off Tony Stark's "super power" is to take away the suit and show him improvising and out thinking the bad guys.

I get that.  My main problem is they make the suits so self reliant why even put people in them?  It may be canon (I'm not a comic reader) but I don't like it.  It's Iron Man, not Robot Maker Man.  Yeah, yeah, I get it.  The point is he needed to find out even without the suits he's still Iron Man.  Meh.  It feels like the Marvel answer to the third Nolan Batman movie.  Which was also pretty meh.  Both movies had good moments, but overall missed the mark.  (My opinion of course)

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2013, 05:35:06 PM »
Well more times than I can count in the comics Tony's been laid up and can't be in the suit so he came up with a way to run them remotely while bed ridden/not quite entirely dead.  In the past before he got his own suit, Rhodey would be the guy in the suit when Tony wasn't able to.

Ad_Astra

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2013, 08:36:00 PM »
I thought the wrap-up was too rushed. Pepper has the extremis stuff in her. Tony hugs her and says he will fix it. Then the voiceover says "I fixed it". :o

I'm glad he did so, although having Pepper become "super" and dealing with that complication would make a good story (not necessarily a good movie, though). But I hate movies and books where a complication is dealt with by saying "I fixed it".

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2013, 11:21:25 PM »
I liked the plot overall. And the Mandarin stuff was enough to give me a nightmare about bio/chemical terrorism last night.

Could've done without the fleet of automated suits though. Something about that detracts from the superhero archetype for me.

And the Tony Stark humor was lacking somehow. It was still funny, but it didn't give me the laughs that the first two films did.