Author Topic: Banners for ads  (Read 22654 times)

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
Banners for ads
« on: April 05, 2013, 06:41:45 PM »
Anyone like to take a shot at making some banners to celebrate the City of Heroes 9th anniversary?

I want to use them on a few MMO sites and try and organize a blitz for the 24th of this month I believe it is and instead of having folks send money in - we will get them to buy the ads for a site on the day!

I was hoping to get all the best videos put in one thread and link them to the banner. Does this sound like a plan?

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
Re: Banners for ads
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 07:10:40 PM »
Ok thanks to Samuraiko I have the link for all the videos to tie in on Ads:

http://cohtube.blogspot.com/

My plan is to try and create or have others create a banner or banners and have them in place for the 24th if possible on several differing MMO sites. They will link back to the Video blogspot and hopefully we can show that we still care.

SeaLily

• Lieutenant
  • green hair
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 07:15:39 PM »
Any banners anyone makes need to be short and to the point.  I'd avoid doing anything 'cute' or 'clever' or whatever.  Just a straightforward "Save City of Heroes: Tell NCsoft to <do whatever>".  Any animation should be very, very minimal.  Don't make something that takes longer than two seconds to read.

You need a direct, specific message for them though.  Is this part of the 'call jack emmert' thing?  Or just more general "bring back the game/sell the game" stuff?
green hair

Xieveral

• Chaotic Neutral
  • Boss
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 07:21:07 PM »
I don't know if its short notice to do so but would it be possible for us to celebrate what would have been CoH's 9th year with a charity drive and tie it in with the banners?

I assume there would have to be some arrangements made with whatever charity or charities we decide on donating to.
?RSN = CKN(CRS.ROD)

RSN = GLR(EMP.MCL)

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 07:21:18 PM »
It is definitely playing off the Jack Emmert interest.

This is life for us, as a team during this time of the ends days we have at different times had to be picked up by different members of the team.

We are the Paragon Avenger Initiative. When one falters or is low in heart another steps forward and carries the torch. I have few talents artistically - however I am stubborn and have a little cash to spare. This is another front that we can try. It will be short but it needs to burn brightly and show each other and the world, our torch is NOT out yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmHXipbAv1M
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 07:27:58 PM by Ironwolf »

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 07:44:36 PM »
I don't know if its short notice to do so but would it be possible for us to celebrate what would have been CoH's 9th year with a charity drive and tie it in with the banners?

I assume there would have to be some arrangements made with whatever charity or charities we decide on donating to.

I could get behind that. I wonder if the folks that ran Real World Hero would care to organize it, or let someone here run it under RWH's name? They're already well-versed in collecting for charities, after all.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 07:50:49 PM »
After a quick browse through the old threads, I managed to find this:

Save Our City Banners

There are a few gems, though all of them are definitely good.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 08:40:20 PM by dwturducken »
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 08:32:15 PM »
Link went to Good old games lol

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 08:41:28 PM »
Fixed. I had a good dozen tabs open, and I had just sent an email to my Friday night group about the D&D sale at GoG.  ;D
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

SeaLily

• Lieutenant
  • green hair
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 08:47:40 PM »
I'm not seeing any banners in that topic that are the right proportions to actually use as banner ads, though.  And a lot of it is just the "this is what we do" slogan stuff, which isn't informative at all- just a rallying cry for people who already know about the whole thing.  Which isn't terribly useful.

I didn't read the whole thing, though.
green hair

Samuraiko

• Honorary Paragon Dev and
  • Elite Boss
  • EVERYONE LOOK AWESOME - I'M FILMING!
    • The Wandering Crane
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 09:18:05 PM »
Ok thanks to Samuraiko I have the link for all the videos to tie in on Ads:

http://cohtube.blogspot.com/

My plan is to try and create or have others create a banner or banners and have them in place for the 24th if possible on several differing MMO sites. They will link back to the Video blogspot and hopefully we can show that we still care.

Here's the amazing thing - those AREN'T all the videos. That's as many as Leandro and a couple other folks were able to get on there. I have the full Fan Videos thread saved and I really need to compile the list of links so they can be added to COHTUBE.

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite
The game may be gone, but the videos are still here...
http://www.youtube.com/samuraiko
http://cohtube.blogspot.com

Tanklet

• Boss
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 12:08:00 AM »
Banner creativeness isn't my forte, but I will donate to help keep them running.

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2013, 06:30:29 AM »
Leandro's Tribute to Donuts via Fusionette is just amazing. I was almost in tears.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2013, 03:38:31 AM »

How about this?

Risha

• Boss
  • Dancing at the end of the World
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2013, 04:07:24 AM »
Leandro's Tribute to Donuts via Fusionette is just amazing. I was almost in tears.

OMG!  BAD Fusionette has the split skirt in the middle...when the Devs screwed up.  Man, I snagged a costume for each slot that each of my ladies had...and I kept some of them.  So good to see!
Writer of Fantasy and Fantasy Romance

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2013, 04:44:03 AM »
OMG!  BAD Fusionette has the split skirt in the middle...when the Devs screwed up.  Man, I snagged a costume for each slot that each of my ladies had...and I kept some of them.  So good to see!

What? I thought they were just shorts.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

SeaLily

• Lieutenant
  • green hair
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2013, 04:46:03 AM »
    People keep making banners that wouldn't work as ads.  You want something that's the right size.  I'm not a professional graphic designer, but I've had more than a few years worth of education involving this kind of stuff now.  So lemme throw out some tips.

Here's the sizes supported by Google's ad services:

But depending on where or how we want to advertise, they're going to need different things.

There are three components any successful ad is going to need, too:

• The City of Heroes logo, so people know what game this is about.
  • A message like "We need your help!", or "Heroes always come back!" that will get people to click
  • An image of Statesman(the one used above could be good)

The real information is going to be in the page they go to when they click the link.  If people want to go animated, do one frame that says the message I mentioned above, and a second that says "Tell NCsoft to call Jack Emmert! Bring City home!"

Edit: this post is adding a stray list-end tag no matter what i do, get out of here list end tag

[/list]
green hair

Risha

• Boss
  • Dancing at the end of the World
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2013, 05:47:54 AM »
What? I thought they were just shorts.

No, at one point all the mini skirts with the split on the side got turned around to have the split in the front and back.  Man, I was peeved when I logged on and saw them on my fav alt, then, of course, I kept a couple around...
Writer of Fantasy and Fantasy Romance

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2013, 12:38:08 PM »
Kelp, I know the sizes will differ I am going for a non-animated simple banner that will lead to the video blogspot.

I am speaking to a couple of sites now and trying to get something working for around the 9th anniversary. So good, bad or ugly - we don't have much time to work here.

jeangray

• Minion
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2013, 04:43:08 PM »

How about this?

I'm not totally sure you'd want to say "They exhausted every option but one!" since we don't really know if there were/were not other options they also chose to ignore.  Course your choice is probably way better than my leaning towards "Bring COH home" or "Save COH"...that's likely why I'm not in marketing!  ;D