Author Topic: For the old timers in the game: Remember when....  (Read 60713 times)

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
Re: For the old timers in the game: Remember when....
« Reply #160 on: April 09, 2013, 02:21:42 AM »
Frostfire was one of the ones we ran the last night... :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #161 on: April 11, 2013, 06:22:14 PM »
You know what I find funny about these items? I stopped around Issue 17 or so, and was just about to restart when CoX closed.

Well, while I see some old-time "remember when" from the early issues, I see stuff that makes me raise eyebrows and say
Galaxy City is gone?
There a Tailor in Atlas Park?
You get travel powers at WHAT level?
and so on.

One man's old-time stories are another's recent past, hehe.

goodtime

• Boss
    • my videos
« Reply #162 on: April 15, 2013, 10:38:12 PM »
When you didn't know whether you'd get 2, 3 or 4 Phantom Army pets to show up.

Rust

• Elite Boss
  • Oddball
« Reply #163 on: April 15, 2013, 11:33:29 PM »
I really missed Galaxy City. It was my primary starting leveling experience. The fact I logged in after a absence and it was just gone was...heartbreaking.
All that I'm after is a life filled with laughter

goodtime

• Boss
    • my videos
« Reply #164 on: April 16, 2013, 02:32:25 AM »
I really missed Galaxy City. It was my primary starting leveling experience. The fact I logged in after a absence and it was just gone was...heartbreaking.
It was still there, called Echo: Galaxy City.   You could use Base Teleporters or there was a portal upstairs in the back of Ouroboros    Same for Echo: Dark Astoria.

Those base TPers were a quick way to get to Ouro at L15 if you couldn't find someone to drop a portal.    The exits out of the echos (in the Metro and by the War Wall exit) took you to Ouro.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #165 on: April 16, 2013, 03:08:26 AM »
I felt Flight should have been earned.

Flight is a pretty basic superhero capability.  The notion of having to "earn" it is almost as ridiculous as having to wait until level 20 to "earn" capes was.  With all their faults, the other two superhero MMOGs treated movement powers better than CoH initially did.

As for the Hollows...  I didn't mind the changes to it so much, but it wasn't long before they seemed pointless given that hardly anyone was bothering with the missions therein any more.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #166 on: April 16, 2013, 04:23:44 AM »
Hmm....so just be given everything.....sounds like Captain Dynamic, he didn't want to earn anything, just get things for free...I respect your opinion, though.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #167 on: April 16, 2013, 04:35:10 AM »
It was still there, called Echo: Galaxy City.   You could use Base Teleporters or there was a portal upstairs in the back of Ouroboros    Same for Echo: Dark Astoria.

Those base TPers were a quick way to get to Ouro at L15 if you couldn't find someone to drop a portal.    The exits out of the echos (in the Metro and by the War Wall exit) took you to Ouro.

On the other hand, if you were logging into a "new" character that was still in Outbreak, and you chose Galaxy City...

Well, I'm just glad that it was possible to get from the Galaxy City gate to the Atlas Park gate in Perez at level 2. :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #168 on: April 16, 2013, 09:48:19 AM »
Hmm....so just be given everything.....sounds like Captain Dynamic, he didn't want to earn anything, just get things for free...I respect your opinion, though.

Should we have to earn the ability to move forward?  Does wanting to have that basic ability for free mean one wants everything for free?
 Is it unreasonable to not want to have to earn fundamentals? 
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Rust

• Elite Boss
  • Oddball
« Reply #169 on: April 16, 2013, 10:15:34 PM »
Personally speaking, I liked having Travel Powers accessible at Level 4. But then again, I remember the hiking involved in zones like The Hollows before that.

SirKittles

• Underling
« Reply #170 on: April 17, 2013, 03:29:16 AM »
Personally speaking, I liked having Travel Powers accessible at Level 4. But then again, I remember the hiking involved in zones like The Hollows before that.

I think it's one of those "walking ten feet in the snow" things. Looking back, sure, walking around the labyrinthine layout of the Hollows was fun, and it'd be awesome to be able to do it again. However, at that point, we were all wanting that travel power regardless.
"What do you think, everyone?"

Absolute

• Lieutenant
« Reply #171 on: April 17, 2013, 03:30:40 AM »
When travel powers were only level 14+, it seemed much more mandatory. Once you hit level 14, you picked your travel power, or else you'd slow the team down getting to missions. Radio missions/Bank missions helped get rid of this a little.

Travel powers at level 4 gave you much more freedom. I rarely picked a travel power at level 4, but rather 6-14.

At level 4 I'd prefer another attack to clear faster and take on more difficult baddies, but it still allowed people who wanted travel powers NOW to get them as soon as they wanted.

Travel powers at level 4+ as well as inherent stamina really opened up builds. I liked those changes.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #172 on: April 17, 2013, 04:40:00 AM »
Should we have to earn the ability to move forward?

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #173 on: April 17, 2013, 08:21:34 PM »
Flight is a pretty basic superhero capability.  The notion of having to "earn" it is almost as ridiculous as having to wait until level 20 to "earn" capes was.  With all their faults, the other two superhero MMOGs treated movement powers better than CoH initially did.

As for the Hollows...  I didn't mind the changes to it so much, but it wasn't long before they seemed pointless given that hardly anyone was bothering with the missions therein any more.

If I recall right, the capes were added after the game started because of animation issues that had to be solved, and they ret-conned a reason why they weren't just available at character start to explain why so many heroes got them later.

Travel powers in CO did seem better, especially their awesome version of Teleport (which was actually fun rather than a chore).

Rust

• Elite Boss
  • Oddball
« Reply #174 on: April 17, 2013, 08:27:40 PM »
CO gets mad props simply for having a Grappling Hook "Swinging" Travel Power.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #175 on: April 17, 2013, 09:54:25 PM »
A: I took swinging as a travel power this past weekend. The mechanics are annoying, and I'm pretty sure I figured out how it worked completely by accident.

B: Depending on how my teammates had their travel power enhanced and/or how much higher level I was than said teammates, I actually was faster than them with Ninja Run about half the time. :)

0nehanklap

• Lieutenant
« Reply #176 on: April 17, 2013, 10:04:23 PM »
I tend to bind my mouse4 button to "up" so that swinging travel using only the mouse is easy: jump to start, then R+L click to get swinging.

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #177 on: April 17, 2013, 10:27:51 PM »
A: I took swinging as a travel power this past weekend. The mechanics are annoying, and I'm pretty sure I figured out how it worked completely by accident.

B: Depending on how my teammates had their travel power enhanced and/or how much higher level I was than said teammates, I actually was faster than them with Ninja Run about half the time. :)

Was able to do that kind of stuff occasionally without Ninja Run.

SR Scrappers almost didn't even need travel powers at all, except for something like a Hamidon raid(or the STF nerfed version of it) or a random trip into the Shadow Shard, and temporary flight powers helped in those situations, but really they went unused for 90% of the time you'd play on that character.

Making the Fitness pool inherent only increased the likelihood that an SR character would skip travel powers, since now Swift and Hurdle were considered inherent. I want to say, between Swift, Quickness, and Sprint alone, I was clocking upwards of 70 MPH, which if I recall was slightly faster than unslotted Fly, and Hurdle/Combat Jumping gave me enough verticle movement that I only rarely would need a jet-pack to get up to somewhere out of reach...

And sometimes, out of boredom, maybe impatience, I'd pop Elude between missions just to be able to get there a little bit faster, as Elude also increased movement speed and jump height, and this was around the time when I tried building a toon to actually have near-perma Elude(was never able to get it to be permanent, sadly... One of my few regrets, the other being never successfully soloing an AV. I'd get an AV down about a third of its health before I ran out of endurance, dropped toggles, and everything would go sour from there...), so by the time everyone else got to the mission, Elude crashed and was already recharged.

I actually ended up completely omitting travel powers from one of my two builds after getting the hang of moving around like that(the other build had Super Speed and Super Jump, and was built for PvP, so the travel powers were kind of needed to keep up with other players...), and also out of boredom.

Golden Ace

• Boss
  • Moon Zone Damn it!
« Reply #178 on: April 17, 2013, 10:55:06 PM »
Was able to do that kind of stuff occasionally without Ninja Run.

SR Scrappers almost didn't even need travel powers at all, except for something like a Hamidon raid(or the STF nerfed version of it) or a random trip into the Shadow Shard, and temporary flight powers helped in those situations, but really they went unused for 90% of the time you'd play on that character.

Making the Fitness pool inherent only increased the likelihood that an SR character would skip travel powers, since now Swift and Hurdle were considered inherent. I want to say, between Swift, Quickness, and Sprint alone, I was clocking upwards of 70 MPH, which if I recall was slightly faster than unslotted Fly, and Hurdle/Combat Jumping gave me enough verticle movement that I only rarely would need a jet-pack to get up to somewhere out of reach...

And sometimes, out of boredom, maybe impatience, I'd pop Elude between missions just to be able to get there a little bit faster, as Elude also increased movement speed and jump height, and this was around the time when I tried building a toon to actually have near-perma Elude(was never able to get it to be permanent, sadly... One of my few regrets, the other being never successfully soloing an AV. I'd get an AV down about a third of its health before I ran out of endurance, dropped toggles, and everything would go sour from there...), so by the time everyone else got to the mission, Elude crashed and was already recharged.

I actually ended up completely omitting travel powers from one of my two builds after getting the hang of moving around like that(the other build had Super Speed and Super Jump, and was built for PvP, so the travel powers were kind of needed to keep up with other players...), and also out of boredom.

Remo Williams my SR MA scraper didn't have a travel power, didn't need one.  he could run as fast as a super speeder with elude and nearly as fast w/o it.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #179 on: April 18, 2013, 01:00:30 AM »
How did I completely miss Elude!? :)