Author Topic: How much hope do you have left?  (Read 17162 times)

TerminalVelocity

• Minion
How much hope do you have left?
« on: March 24, 2013, 08:38:30 PM »
Trying to gauge the general amount of hope that we can save the city around here.

I myself have little to none at all that it'll come back, but I KNOW it will live on in some form.
@Bullet Barrage
I left the forums with 1,337 post.

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
Re: How much hope do you have left?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 08:39:24 PM »
I know at least one of the Plan Z efforts is shaping up.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 08:49:51 PM »
Indeed. If you're in the Seattle area, the Phoenix Project has a panel discussion that myself and downix will be holding at NorWesCon: 4 pm, Cascade 7 (unless they change the room on us last minute). Come see us if you're around and interested!

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 09:50:16 PM »
I am an optimist.

Disney didn't say no as far as we are aware and Google has yet to be approached.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 12:52:08 AM »
If you're in the front line of the battle, you shouldn't hope but plan and act.

If you're not taking active part, the reality tends to either not match your expectations or overwhelm them - either way, the only thing to do is wait.

And hope should never be measured in terms of quantity. A certain swamp-dwelling ancient mad...creature would probably say: "<<How much>>, exist does not. Hope you either have or you have not."
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 12:59:00 AM »
my hope have yet to change in one way or another. I knew it was small chance, and it will take a while and thus I prepared for the worse. That way no matter what happened, I wouldnt and couldnt be disappointed and at worse it was expected. lol. Anyways that means so far it's been going beyond what I expected.

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 01:13:43 AM »
SEGs is making progress.

Plan Zs are chugging away.

There's plenty to be hopeful for.
Woo! - Argent Girl

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 01:39:22 AM »
Not having the game hurts, to be honest.  It's an emotional outpouring any time I start thinking about it on the way to or from town when I have any time to talk to myself and think it over.  However, I do believe that this can be worked out, that things can come around.  I fear it might take a long, long time, longer than many are willing to commit, but if another MMORPG can come back after 8 years absent recently, I should hope that City of Heroes can return considerably faster than that, assuming that NCSoft is willing to budge.

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 05:13:35 AM »
"Forget that... there are places in this world that aren't made out of stone. That there's something inside... that they can't get to, that they can't touch. That's yours."

"What are you talking about?"

"Hope."

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 06:39:23 AM »
"You can't give up hope just because it's hopeless! You gotta hope even more, and cover your ears {covers ears} and go "Bla bla bla bla bla bla..."

Those are the words of a great man!

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 11:50:26 AM »
/em holdtorch

Never Give Up! Never Surrender!

Mentalshock

• Boss
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 12:23:40 PM »
Humanity does not see the impossible as an absolute, merely a challenge to be surpassed.

Cendwar

• Underling
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 03:09:14 PM »
Champion Server: Cendwar Dark/EM Tank - Vehement Ragefire SS/FA Brute - Desolation Within Spines/FA Scrapper - General Hoffman AR/Traps Blaster - Thoughtfire Plague FC/PA Dominator - Bash 'n Slash BS/SD Scrapper - Dream Slave - BA/EA Brute

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2013, 04:17:53 PM »
After we have Plan Z go live, after we've all established a home over there and are all comfy running around a new and improved world.... THEN and only then NCIdiocracy will announce that they are reviving the game, most likely by tying it to a new game they you'll also have to buy in order to access CoX.

By they we will probably also have at least one emulator up and running.

Some of my decision will depend on whether or not they have wiped our servers.

Depending on these variables, I might just give NCSoft's attempts to revive the game the ol' side-eye. Nice try, you are a day late and several dollars short.

As far as them just reviving the game out of the goodness of their hearts, I seriously doubt that this is going to happen. There will be some kind of monetary penalty attached, count on it.

Brightfires

• Elite Boss
  • ... is *NOT* Groot
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2013, 04:21:07 PM »
Hope that some company will buy it and bring it back? Honestly, I have none at all. I really feel like that time has already come, gone and resulted in nothing. NCSoft just flat-out isn't interested in selling. They made that pretty obvious.

Hope that someone will get one of the "community server" or stand-alone versions running? I'd say we have decent odds of that, given time.

Hope for either of the successor games? Given what goes into launching a product from the ground up, and all of the pitfalls along the way even for professional studios... all I'm going to say is that I wish them all the luck in the world. I really do. But I'm not holding my breath.
Taker of screenshots. Player of bird-things.

UruzSix

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2013, 04:33:46 PM »
Hope that some company will buy it and bring it back? Honestly, I have none at all. I really feel like that time has already come, gone and resulted in nothing. NCSoft just flat-out isn't interested in selling. They made that pretty obvious.

Yup.

Hope that someone will get one of the "community server" or stand-alone versions running? I'd say we have decent odds of that, given time.

An underground emulator just wouldn't be the same. I couldn't do it.

Hope for either of the successor games? Given what goes into launching a product from the ground up, and all of the pitfalls along the way even for professional studios... all I'm going to say is that I wish them all the luck in the world. I really do. But I'm not holding my breath.

There's truth in your words, but I'm more optimistic. Given enough people who know what actually goes into launching a product, I think they've got as good a shot as any indie developer.

Samuraiko

• Honorary Paragon Dev and
  • Elite Boss
  • EVERYONE LOOK AWESOME - I'M FILMING!
    • The Wandering Crane
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2013, 05:02:39 PM »
Indeed. If you're in the Seattle area, the Phoenix Project has a panel discussion that myself and downix will be holding at NorWesCon: 4 pm, Cascade 7 (unless they change the room on us last minute). Come see us if you're around and interested!

CRAP, I DIDN'T REALIZE NORWESTCON WAS THIS WEEKEND!

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite
The game may be gone, but the videos are still here...
http://www.youtube.com/samuraiko
http://cohtube.blogspot.com

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2013, 06:34:40 PM »
My flight lands in Seattle Fri. morning, and leaves the next day. So it'd better be this weekend! Otherwise, I'm going to miss the panel!  :o

(*cough* More seriously, it's this weekend. Our panel is at 4 pm PDT on Friday the 29th.)

Jordan_Lee

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2013, 07:05:57 PM »
I like seeing the optimism that still gets posted on a daily basis. I only check the forums every few days now, my only goal is to see feedback from Disney or Google but I know that's still a long ways to go.

Afraid I don't have much hope left. I loved the game, I miss the game. But as time has moved on and I have mourned and gotten over it, I don't dwell on it anymore. Don't get me wrong, if someone said I could log into my main toon tomorrow I'd flip. But more and more I'm looking for new possibilities. I'm enjoying some time on my Xbox, time in the real world. Maybe one day I'll try another MMO, maybe this one will return or the new ones will be good enough to play soon.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2013, 07:10:55 PM »
I admit, I have little hope left.   A little, yes, but none of the enthusiasm I had a few months ago.  Disney's complete lack of response (not even an acknowledgement that the pitch was received and read) is discouraging.

And that includes hope for various Project Z's.  They have yet to reassure me that what they're making will run on my old machine.  City of Heroes represented the high end of what my computer can handle, so if any of the Plan Z projects have even slightly higher system requirements then CoH itself (at the absolute lowest graphic settings, mind you) did, then I can't play them.

So only the various emulation (simulation, whatever) projects give me any hope at all, and even they're iffy and mostly flying under the radar.

I just want my heroes and (especially) villains back, but that doesn't look like it's going to happen any time soon.