Author Topic: How much hope do you have left?  (Read 17168 times)

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
Re: How much hope do you have left?
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2013, 07:45:38 PM »
I'd say I have a lot of hope, but it would be more accurate to say that I believe probability is in our favor of seeing the game again - one way or another.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2013, 07:53:27 PM »
Thunder Glove, I could barely run CoV on my own machine. However, if, like mine, yours is 5+ years old, by the time the Phoenix Project is releasing, your machine will be 7 or maybe even 8 years old. It will not be running much of anything released for games by then.

We are doing all we can to make sure that our product will be accessible to people with relatively low-end machines, but we can't guarantee that today's "can barely run CoH" machines will be able to run the Phoenix Project, not without guaranteeing that it will not stand up against any of its competitors, as well.

We will try! But reality is that computers have a limited life span. You're not still using the same computer you had in 2002, most likely. Will you still be using the same one you were using in 2004 or even 2008 in 2015 or 16?

tomborocks1

• Underling
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2013, 08:01:38 PM »
Coming from a card carrying pessimist (we want to be wrong!), I still have hope. Maybe I just don't "get it" -more to the point, I don't want to - but if the game was such a failure to NCSoft, I would think that at some point they might decide better get something for it than nothing.

I know. I mentioned I don't get it, right? But this is how I hope. And when reality smacks me upside the head, that's when I pound the ground to distract myself.

I can't give up hope. This was a Wow! moment for me (and no, I don't mean Warcraft) in life and I'm really not ready to let it go just yet.

Hang in there heroes. Waiting sucks, but all will be revealed.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2013, 08:54:13 PM »
If you give up hope then you have lost everything all ready.  Not just about the game but in general.  Hoping shouldn't be forced or found, it is simply there as a net to stop you from hitting rock bottom.  Having hope doesn't hurt you.  Believing if the game will come back and hoping it does are two very different things.  I hope daily for things that will never happen.  Things that are way harder to achieve then the resurrection of the game and significantly less likely to happen then the game coming back.  Do I believe the game will come back, sure eventually in some way or another it will.  Do I have hope?  Hell yes I got a plethora of hope for all kinds of hopeless things.  Although I hardly considered this situation to be "hopeless"

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2013, 08:57:18 PM »
I tried really hard to let people understand the time it would take even if Disney says yes.

It will take from 6-12 months to get the game going again with the best of intentions.

Optimus Dex

• Boss
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2013, 08:57:46 PM »
Trying to gauge the general amount of hope that we can save the city around here.

I myself have little to none at all that it'll come back, but I KNOW it will live on in some form.

I doubt COH will be back as it was , Needlessly CancelingSoftware might try to make a COH 2 . I won't buy it. My hopes are on The Phoniex Projects . When one  or both get going that is the future for me and my money.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2013, 09:07:24 PM »
I tried really hard to let people understand the time it would take even if Disney says yes.

It will take from 6-12 months to get the game going again with the best of intentions.

This is probably the big big big big thing here.  Patience.  The business world takes time.  Anywhere here should be prepared to wait for at least a year.  Probably closer to 2-3 years.  If you are hoping for the game to come back next week I would place your hope elsewhere.  If you are hoping to see the game again at some point I believe that will happen.  Even Plan Z and Phoneix project won't be done for a long time.  So shower up everybody! We are gonna be here awhile

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2013, 09:37:24 PM »
I am absolutely, positively, 100% convinced that this is not the end of City of Heroes.  Call me an optimist if you want (I've been called worse), but I'm telling you, it's not a question of if in my mind, but when, and exactly in what form.  But mark my words and mark them well, there will come a day when people say, "Hey cool, that was an awesome game, I'm glad that it didn't just die off when NCsoft tried to kill it like they did!"

I'm disappointed that the easy solutions didn't work out, but hey, hard solutions build character, right? And what community knows about building characters better than this one?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 09:47:30 PM by TonyV »

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2013, 09:47:56 PM »
Thanks, Tony.  I do appreciate that, as even I've been starting to lose some hope.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2013, 10:06:02 PM »
And what community knows about building characters better than this one?
D&D, Pathfinder, and Exalted?

*ducks and RUNS*

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2013, 10:16:00 PM »
D&D, Pathfinder, and Exalted?

You put us BELOW white wolf? Now I am officially insulted. I'm going to curl up in a corner and cry.
Woo! - Argent Girl

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2013, 10:22:20 PM »
I am absolutely, positively, 100% convinced that this is not the end of City of Heroes.  Call me an optimist if you want (I've been called worse), but I'm telling you, it's not a question of if in my mind, but when, and exactly in what form.  But mark my words and mark them well, there will come a day when people say, "Hey cool, that was an awesome game, I'm glad that it didn't just die off when NCsoft tried to kill it like they did!"

I'm disappointed that the easy solutions didn't work out, but hey, hard solutions build character, right? And what community knows about building characters better than this one?

Yeah I think on the old forum a couple of people called you everything under the sun besides a kitchen sink.

While easy solutions are cool, it's the hard one that make a person feel like they conquered the world.

Sugoi

• Boss
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2013, 10:38:27 PM »
Considering the efforts being put forth in various ways be dedicated fans of the game, I have no doubts it will see life again in one form or another (perhaps multiple forms!) 

If I were able to program or create 3D models, I'd be pitching in to help out personally.  As things stand, I'll be waiting on the call for any assistance I can render to the folks working on bringing my favorite game of all time back to life in one form or another, financially or in the form of beta testing to help smooth things out when it starts up.

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2013, 11:14:02 PM »
"You can't give up hope just because it's hopeless! You gotta hope even more, and cover your ears {covers ears} and go "Bla bla bla bla bla bla..."

Those are the words of a great man!

Mel Brooks?

Stratoburst

• Minion
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2013, 11:35:40 PM »
How much hope, you ask?

Hope that CoX as-was will run again:  none
Hope that H-and-V or Phoenix will be fully playable in the short term:  none
Hope that H-and-V or Phoenix will be fully playable* within one year:  MUCH hope, and I'm willing to wait! 

*even if the content is a bit limited at first

My thanks to those making the effort to give us a game with a "CoX feel", and give this community a "gaming home" again.

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2013, 11:43:50 PM »
CRAP, I DIDN'T REALIZE NORWESTCON WAS THIS WEEKEND!

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite

It's also MINICON 48 this weekend in Minneapolis, MN!!!!!   And you perhaps thought we only had Rocket J. Squirrel and Bullwinkle Moose living up near International Frostbite Falls, Minnesota!   :D
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2013, 11:58:00 PM »

Despite being tempted to make a joke about MIDS or PL in AE or on PI re: building character, I happen to agree; it isn't IF it's WHEN.   We're not even to the 1/2 year mark of NCSoft "Sunset."   (*makes note to go check the NCSoft stock watch thread.... *)  Personally, I consider 1-3 years to be a reasonable time frame, tho I am of course hoping it's closer to 1-2 years if not sooner (for obvious reasons.)  For all I know 5 years might be a more reasonable time frame; however, it sounds like we'll have a least one fan-created "spiritual successor" if not two fairly soon.  Meanwhile, I could go Grind Away in the substitute MMORPG of my choice while waiting.  Or pick up other hobbies.  Or.....    :)    /say local "Stay Steadfast, good Titans!!!!"    /em HoldTorch
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Sajaana

• Boss
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2013, 12:46:17 AM »
I think there's a better than average chance it'll reappear.  Why?  Because old games are making a reappearance in this industry.

Asheron's Call 2 and Final Fantasy XIV, like CoH, were cancelled.  They were both brought back.  I'd have to say that this bodes well for us.  There is at least some precedent here that there is a market for games like ours.  After all, it's a whole lot cheaper to re-release one of your old titles than to design a new one from scratch.  Even if they chose to do nothing to it, the revenue they could generate would be pure take.

I'm much more confident we'll get CoH re-released than I am with the "Z" projects coming to fruition.

Brightfires

• Elite Boss
  • ... is *NOT* Groot
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2013, 12:49:30 AM »
You put us BELOW white wolf? Now I am officially insulted. I'm going to curl up in a corner and cry.

Building an Exalted character takes some work... Trust me. I tend to play Sidereals and Raksha. 'Talk about being a glutton for punishment. o_0
Taker of screenshots. Player of bird-things.

DarkCurrent

• Boss
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2013, 02:55:01 AM »
I think there's a better than average chance it'll reappear.  Why?  Because old games are making a reappearance in this industry.

Asheron's Call 2 and Final Fantasy XIV, like CoH, were cancelled.  They were both brought back.  I'd have to say that this bodes well for us.  There is at least some precedent here that there is a market for games like ours.  After all, it's a whole lot cheaper to re-release one of your old titles than to design a new one from scratch.  Even if they chose to do nothing to it, the revenue they could generate would be pure take.

I'm much more confident we'll get CoH re-released than I am with the "Z" projects coming to fruition.

Look I don't want to sound like a prick, but there is zero chance that CoH will relaunch by NCSoft.  They would have to eat so much crow, admit they were wrong and then rely upon a disenfranchised fanbase to breath fire back into the game that it just isn't going to happen.  No way, no how.

They would have to sell first and I don't see them needing / wanting to do that any time soon either.  Why would they sell?  They don't care what the fanbase thinks about the move.  In fact, they've already buried it.  They don't need the money it's worth.  They don't want to see it succeed under the control of a competitor after they shuttered it as no longer viable.

Only possible scenarios are 1) 3rd party with a huge wallet throws so much money at NCSoft that they can't say no to a sale or 2) the hype over one of the Plan Z's is so big that someone at NCSoft figures they need to slow down this upstart that tossing CoX back on the market is a great idea.

Hoping and wishing for the clock to somehow get turned back to last summer is pointless.  Focus efforts and hopes on possible futures instead.