Author Topic: Just Curious...  (Read 11203 times)

Wammo

• Lieutenant
Just Curious...
« on: February 25, 2013, 08:44:24 PM »
If you were Vegas what kind of odds would you put on Paragon City gracing the screen of my computer again? Sure seems like the odds are getting longer and longer as time marches onward. I am hoping for the best but I increasingly find myself preparing for the worst. Honestly, Plan Z or what have you really holds little interest to me. I just want CoH back and am beginning to lose hope of that every happening. Is there any encouragement today?

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
Re: Just Curious...
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 09:23:56 PM »
Depending on what you mean by "Paragon City" and "gracing your screen," I'd give it as high as 100%. There exist pictures and videos you can put up as your background or watch for entertainment. In a slightly less pedantically useless answer, I'd go as high as 90%, provided you're okay with the eventual reverse-engineered private servers I hear some people are working on (and, if I understand at least one of the projects correctly - I may not; I'm not affiliated with any of them - it's perfectly legal how they're going about it).

If nothing but a fully-functional and supported CoH will do, though, I'm going to have to put it at about 40%. There's a 50/50 shot that somebody with deep enough pockets will take a swing at trying to buy it, and I'm assuming a very generous 90% chance that NCSoft can be shown enough money at this point to sell it. I may be over-estimating, there.

AlphaFerret

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 10:26:47 PM »
I think that Coh2 is what we will see next.  Some entity will purchase the IP, but will want to pretty up the graphics engine a bit.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 10:53:10 PM »
This is good question and interesting.

But me I dont gamble or depend on luck. I lose everytime. And not going by perception, going by actual stats that I collected over years. Luck is not my thing. If I say I would bet on COX coming back then it's a great chance that it means it wont ever come back judging by the past percentage of winning. Thus I wont bet that. Instead I'll bet that it will never come back. That way I can lose again and it will return.

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 11:01:35 PM »
Thus I wont bet that. Instead I'll bet that it will never come back. That way I can lose again and it will return.
Heh.  Making Murphy's Law work for you, eh?   :)

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
  • E-K and Malfaz taking a break, drinking tea
    • www.pauldamonthomas.com
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 11:18:29 PM »
Haha, Jagx.

Seriously though, I'd not give up hope at all. Now, I'm just in the same boat as everyone else and know nuffink... But...
I think it's highly possible that you'll have CoH on your screen again, whether it be private servers or it actually gets officially sold/purchased and revived.
I believe those to be high possibilities, but even high possibilities might not come true, so... we wait... we see... we do what we can. I am encouraged any time I hear people say "people are working on it", but we'll see.

I've said, since day one of the announcement, that I can't really imagine the game not showing up somewhere, somehow down the line. And I am not changing my tune yet.

Patience is a virtue... justice, freedom, triumph, victory, protector... etc.  ;D
--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

http://www.pauldamonthomas.com/

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 11:20:48 PM »
I think at this point the reverse engineer projects need the assistance of programmers and more volunteers. I am unsure what the status is for the titan network's project on reverse engineer project but I do know that the segs project is being worked on by nemerle. I am unsure if he has other programmers helping now or what. That however is an older version of CoX. Like issue 4 or something. So no villains, no incarnates, no power customization. Pretty much all the really great improvements are not in it. BUT having some form of CoX is better than nothing and it may later have issue 24 support.

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 04:03:22 AM »
I would be good with an issue 4 start, and maybe as we went on things could be added to it.

But I would play at issue 4 forever, rather than the empty echoing NOTHING!!!!!! we have now. I am jonesing so bad, I cant tell you. I would play my least favorite character ever, on nothing but CoT doughnut-cave maps, and never ever let one peep of complaint come out of my mouth or out of my keyboard, ever, for the chance to play this game again.

When I look at my screenies, the appropriate zone music pops into my head, for the zone in the picture. Isnt that so sad.

MindBlender

• Boss
  • My Main was a healer, wish he was here now.
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 05:24:30 AM »
I'd have to give it a 40% chance to come back...as we knew it November 30th.  I believe we will be flying (or jumping/running) as super heros eventually, perhaps in 2 different skins if both projects work out.  That is 100% we will take up arms again, but maybe not exactly like we remember.
All my computer skill was used up on my Commodore 64 decades ago...

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 10:39:29 AM »
I believe those to be high possibilities, but even high possibilities might not come true, so... we wait... we see... we do what we can

Likewise very unlikely things can happen too.  For example: The earth being just far enough away from the sun but not to far away with the right kind of atmosphere and enough water to both support and thrive life. That is like 1 in some giant crazy number I don't even know.  So hopefully that can help give you some hope too depending on how you look at it.  I think the chances are probably about 50/50 as stated earlier, maybe a little off.  But that doesn't mean I have given up hope.  No reason to actually give hope until there is no hope, and then you gotta hope even more.

I can say though that CoH will not be forgotten.  Even if it is never brought back officially I think the private servers are going well.  I am pretty sure you can log in, create a character, and then zone into Outbreak but not move or do anything.  The pictures over there filled me with all kinds of warm feelings and nice things like that, I suggest you go check it out.  May boost your spirits.

Omega Mark V

• Boss
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 03:04:24 PM »
Personally, I think CoH will be back, but it will take some time.

I'm really looking for CoH2 though if it happens... And if it's made by the same studio, or in the same fashion of awesome. Otherwise, probably not.

Be patient and expect great things. That's my outlook on this.
- Omega Mk. V

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 04:46:14 PM »
I think a lot depends upon Google at this point.

If they pick it up and grab a handful of past Devs in the next few months, we might be good to go for another 5+ years. If not then private servers will pop up at some point.

Axonius

• Minion
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 05:14:52 PM »
Something like this is how I see it breaking down...

(N)(S)= L

Where:

N=Probability of NCSoft's willingness to sell the IP
S=Probability of a Studio having the desire to purchase and support the game
L=Probability of a Legitimate re-launch of game

Or

(C)(D)(R)=V

Where:

C=Probability of Individual contributors having the capability to reverse engineer the game
D=Probability that individual contributors will maintain the dedication to the effort to reverse engineer game
R=Probability of individual contributors obtaining and maintaining the resources for continued support of the game
V=Probability of a Private server launch

kult666

• Underling
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 05:46:59 PM »
Personally, I think CoH will be back, but it will take some time.

I'm really looking for CoH2 though if it happens... And if it's made by the same studio, or in the same fashion of awesome. Otherwise, probably not.

Be patient and expect great things. That's my outlook on this.

THIS.  I think its not a matter of if... more of WHEN.  It could be a year ..it could be like another MMO ( I forget the name) and take 8 years.  But I think in some form (private RE servers, online with no additions, or fully supported relaunch) something will happen. 

Keep the torches lit.

-Kult

nataliaofvirtues

• Minion
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 08:28:35 PM »
I also believe that we will see some for of COH back up and running, I just wish it would hurry the heck up. I am so missing the skies, the skulls, the behemoths, and every thing else. :(
And I commend anyone out there that is spending any time at all trying to make it happen in whatever way they have.

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2013, 02:44:57 AM »
If you were Vegas what kind of odds would you put on Paragon City gracing the screen of my computer again? Sure seems like the odds are getting longer and longer as time marches onward. I am hoping for the best but I increasingly find myself preparing for the worst. Honestly, Plan Z or what have you really holds little interest to me. I just want CoH back and am beginning to lose hope of that every happening. Is there any encouragement today?
I am sorry to be the one to say this, but the odds of CoH gracing your screen are very minimal. Not impossible, but improbable. My best advice is to pray. All things are possible with God.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2013, 03:31:51 AM »
I am sorry to be the one to say this, but the odds of CoH gracing your screen are very minimal

I would say it depends on how you mean gracing your screen.  It may not come back officially with a studio and a publisher(fingers crossed though).  I can almost say with 100% confidence that it will indeed bless your screen again if you are willing to play on the private/offline servers being made.

It can even bless your screen right now up to logging into Outbreak. Then you can't do more then just....well exist.

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
  • E-K and Malfaz taking a break, drinking tea
    • www.pauldamonthomas.com
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2013, 04:22:40 AM »
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese
:)
--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

http://www.pauldamonthomas.com/

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2013, 01:34:02 AM »
Believe it or not, I was actually looking for some atrocious puns to use during my Friday/Sunday night iTrial runs when I happened upon one of  John Cleese's videos on Creativity.

Being one of Liberty's ...routine iTrial leaders on the weekends (for pugs, not SG stuff), the quote by Cleese provided instant clarity why some people would seemingly be blissfully ignorant of how their failure to read my instructions could and would cause headaches and possible trial failure for the rest of the league.

http://www.gocreate.com/workouts/wx215.htm

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2013, 09:15:33 AM »
Believe it or not, I was actually looking for some atrocious puns to use during my Friday/Sunday night iTrial runs when I happened upon one of  John Cleese's videos on Creativity.

Being one of Liberty's ...routine iTrial leaders on the weekends (for pugs, not SG stuff), the quote by Cleese provided instant clarity why some people would seemingly be blissfully ignorant of how their failure to read my instructions could and would cause headaches and possible trial failure for the rest of the league.

http://www.gocreate.com/workouts/wx215.htm
That is very insightful.

However, I disagree with Mr. Cleese's statement "to know how good you are at something requires the same skills required to be good at it in the first place."

I appreciate art (painting, drawing, and sculpture). I am no good at any of those forms of art.
I am, however, creative in other ways. My Chemistry teacher once compared my descriptive narrative in writing to that of Jack Frost. ( I don't think I'm that good)
I guess you can say that I paint my pictures with words instead of pigments. But, I still can't paint or draw an actual picture.

Just my thoughts on the matter.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms