Author Topic: Just Curious...  (Read 11200 times)

Wammo

• Lieutenant
Just Curious...
« on: February 25, 2013, 08:44:24 PM »
If you were Vegas what kind of odds would you put on Paragon City gracing the screen of my computer again? Sure seems like the odds are getting longer and longer as time marches onward. I am hoping for the best but I increasingly find myself preparing for the worst. Honestly, Plan Z or what have you really holds little interest to me. I just want CoH back and am beginning to lose hope of that every happening. Is there any encouragement today?

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
Re: Just Curious...
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 09:23:56 PM »
Depending on what you mean by "Paragon City" and "gracing your screen," I'd give it as high as 100%. There exist pictures and videos you can put up as your background or watch for entertainment. In a slightly less pedantically useless answer, I'd go as high as 90%, provided you're okay with the eventual reverse-engineered private servers I hear some people are working on (and, if I understand at least one of the projects correctly - I may not; I'm not affiliated with any of them - it's perfectly legal how they're going about it).

If nothing but a fully-functional and supported CoH will do, though, I'm going to have to put it at about 40%. There's a 50/50 shot that somebody with deep enough pockets will take a swing at trying to buy it, and I'm assuming a very generous 90% chance that NCSoft can be shown enough money at this point to sell it. I may be over-estimating, there.

AlphaFerret

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 10:26:47 PM »
I think that Coh2 is what we will see next.  Some entity will purchase the IP, but will want to pretty up the graphics engine a bit.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 10:53:10 PM »
This is good question and interesting.

But me I dont gamble or depend on luck. I lose everytime. And not going by perception, going by actual stats that I collected over years. Luck is not my thing. If I say I would bet on COX coming back then it's a great chance that it means it wont ever come back judging by the past percentage of winning. Thus I wont bet that. Instead I'll bet that it will never come back. That way I can lose again and it will return.

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 11:01:35 PM »
Thus I wont bet that. Instead I'll bet that it will never come back. That way I can lose again and it will return.
Heh.  Making Murphy's Law work for you, eh?   :)

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
  • E-K and Malfaz taking a break, drinking tea
    • www.pauldamonthomas.com
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 11:18:29 PM »
Haha, Jagx.

Seriously though, I'd not give up hope at all. Now, I'm just in the same boat as everyone else and know nuffink... But...
I think it's highly possible that you'll have CoH on your screen again, whether it be private servers or it actually gets officially sold/purchased and revived.
I believe those to be high possibilities, but even high possibilities might not come true, so... we wait... we see... we do what we can. I am encouraged any time I hear people say "people are working on it", but we'll see.

I've said, since day one of the announcement, that I can't really imagine the game not showing up somewhere, somehow down the line. And I am not changing my tune yet.

Patience is a virtue... justice, freedom, triumph, victory, protector... etc.  ;D
--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

http://www.pauldamonthomas.com/

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 11:20:48 PM »
I think at this point the reverse engineer projects need the assistance of programmers and more volunteers. I am unsure what the status is for the titan network's project on reverse engineer project but I do know that the segs project is being worked on by nemerle. I am unsure if he has other programmers helping now or what. That however is an older version of CoX. Like issue 4 or something. So no villains, no incarnates, no power customization. Pretty much all the really great improvements are not in it. BUT having some form of CoX is better than nothing and it may later have issue 24 support.

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 04:03:22 AM »
I would be good with an issue 4 start, and maybe as we went on things could be added to it.

But I would play at issue 4 forever, rather than the empty echoing NOTHING!!!!!! we have now. I am jonesing so bad, I cant tell you. I would play my least favorite character ever, on nothing but CoT doughnut-cave maps, and never ever let one peep of complaint come out of my mouth or out of my keyboard, ever, for the chance to play this game again.

When I look at my screenies, the appropriate zone music pops into my head, for the zone in the picture. Isnt that so sad.

MindBlender

• Boss
  • My Main was a healer, wish he was here now.
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 05:24:30 AM »
I'd have to give it a 40% chance to come back...as we knew it November 30th.  I believe we will be flying (or jumping/running) as super heros eventually, perhaps in 2 different skins if both projects work out.  That is 100% we will take up arms again, but maybe not exactly like we remember.
All my computer skill was used up on my Commodore 64 decades ago...

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 10:39:29 AM »
I believe those to be high possibilities, but even high possibilities might not come true, so... we wait... we see... we do what we can

Likewise very unlikely things can happen too.  For example: The earth being just far enough away from the sun but not to far away with the right kind of atmosphere and enough water to both support and thrive life. That is like 1 in some giant crazy number I don't even know.  So hopefully that can help give you some hope too depending on how you look at it.  I think the chances are probably about 50/50 as stated earlier, maybe a little off.  But that doesn't mean I have given up hope.  No reason to actually give hope until there is no hope, and then you gotta hope even more.

I can say though that CoH will not be forgotten.  Even if it is never brought back officially I think the private servers are going well.  I am pretty sure you can log in, create a character, and then zone into Outbreak but not move or do anything.  The pictures over there filled me with all kinds of warm feelings and nice things like that, I suggest you go check it out.  May boost your spirits.

Omega Mark V

• Boss
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 03:04:24 PM »
Personally, I think CoH will be back, but it will take some time.

I'm really looking for CoH2 though if it happens... And if it's made by the same studio, or in the same fashion of awesome. Otherwise, probably not.

Be patient and expect great things. That's my outlook on this.
- Omega Mk. V

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 04:46:14 PM »
I think a lot depends upon Google at this point.

If they pick it up and grab a handful of past Devs in the next few months, we might be good to go for another 5+ years. If not then private servers will pop up at some point.

Axonius

• Minion
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 05:14:52 PM »
Something like this is how I see it breaking down...

(N)(S)= L

Where:

N=Probability of NCSoft's willingness to sell the IP
S=Probability of a Studio having the desire to purchase and support the game
L=Probability of a Legitimate re-launch of game

Or

(C)(D)(R)=V

Where:

C=Probability of Individual contributors having the capability to reverse engineer the game
D=Probability that individual contributors will maintain the dedication to the effort to reverse engineer game
R=Probability of individual contributors obtaining and maintaining the resources for continued support of the game
V=Probability of a Private server launch

kult666

• Underling
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 05:46:59 PM »
Personally, I think CoH will be back, but it will take some time.

I'm really looking for CoH2 though if it happens... And if it's made by the same studio, or in the same fashion of awesome. Otherwise, probably not.

Be patient and expect great things. That's my outlook on this.

THIS.  I think its not a matter of if... more of WHEN.  It could be a year ..it could be like another MMO ( I forget the name) and take 8 years.  But I think in some form (private RE servers, online with no additions, or fully supported relaunch) something will happen. 

Keep the torches lit.

-Kult

nataliaofvirtues

• Minion
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 08:28:35 PM »
I also believe that we will see some for of COH back up and running, I just wish it would hurry the heck up. I am so missing the skies, the skulls, the behemoths, and every thing else. :(
And I commend anyone out there that is spending any time at all trying to make it happen in whatever way they have.

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2013, 02:44:57 AM »
If you were Vegas what kind of odds would you put on Paragon City gracing the screen of my computer again? Sure seems like the odds are getting longer and longer as time marches onward. I am hoping for the best but I increasingly find myself preparing for the worst. Honestly, Plan Z or what have you really holds little interest to me. I just want CoH back and am beginning to lose hope of that every happening. Is there any encouragement today?
I am sorry to be the one to say this, but the odds of CoH gracing your screen are very minimal. Not impossible, but improbable. My best advice is to pray. All things are possible with God.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2013, 03:31:51 AM »
I am sorry to be the one to say this, but the odds of CoH gracing your screen are very minimal

I would say it depends on how you mean gracing your screen.  It may not come back officially with a studio and a publisher(fingers crossed though).  I can almost say with 100% confidence that it will indeed bless your screen again if you are willing to play on the private/offline servers being made.

It can even bless your screen right now up to logging into Outbreak. Then you can't do more then just....well exist.

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2013, 04:22:40 AM »
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese
:)
--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2013, 01:34:02 AM »
Believe it or not, I was actually looking for some atrocious puns to use during my Friday/Sunday night iTrial runs when I happened upon one of  John Cleese's videos on Creativity.

Being one of Liberty's ...routine iTrial leaders on the weekends (for pugs, not SG stuff), the quote by Cleese provided instant clarity why some people would seemingly be blissfully ignorant of how their failure to read my instructions could and would cause headaches and possible trial failure for the rest of the league.

http://www.gocreate.com/workouts/wx215.htm

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2013, 09:15:33 AM »
Believe it or not, I was actually looking for some atrocious puns to use during my Friday/Sunday night iTrial runs when I happened upon one of  John Cleese's videos on Creativity.

Being one of Liberty's ...routine iTrial leaders on the weekends (for pugs, not SG stuff), the quote by Cleese provided instant clarity why some people would seemingly be blissfully ignorant of how their failure to read my instructions could and would cause headaches and possible trial failure for the rest of the league.

http://www.gocreate.com/workouts/wx215.htm
That is very insightful.

However, I disagree with Mr. Cleese's statement "to know how good you are at something requires the same skills required to be good at it in the first place."

I appreciate art (painting, drawing, and sculpture). I am no good at any of those forms of art.
I am, however, creative in other ways. My Chemistry teacher once compared my descriptive narrative in writing to that of Jack Frost. ( I don't think I'm that good)
I guess you can say that I paint my pictures with words instead of pigments. But, I still can't paint or draw an actual picture.

Just my thoughts on the matter.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2013, 12:11:14 PM »
That is very insightful.

However, I disagree with Mr. Cleese's statement "to know how good you are at something requires the same skills required to be good at it in the first place."

I appreciate art (painting, drawing, and sculpture). I am no good at any of those forms of art.
I am, however, creative in other ways. My Chemistry teacher once compared my descriptive narrative in writing to that of Jack Frost. ( I don't think I'm that good)
I guess you can say that I paint my pictures with words instead of pigments. But, I still can't paint or draw an actual picture.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

But, don't you see? Because you recognize that you aren't any good at painting, you actually possess the ability to become a good painter. Conversely, if you were, in fact a horrible painter, you would be clueless to the notion that you weren't any good at it.  8)

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2013, 03:05:32 PM »
I found Mr. Cleese to be extremely insightful.

Look at the American Federal government - they believe they can help everyone and yet they can't even run the Post Office without running debts into the billions every year.

They try and do more and more - believing they are incredibly clever when in fact they are downright ignorant and blissfully unaware of how wrong they are.

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2013, 03:25:03 PM »
I found Mr. Cleese to be extremely insightful.

Look at the American Federal government - they believe they can help everyone and yet they can't even run the Post Office without running debts into the billions every year.

They try and do more and more - believing they are incredibly clever when in fact they are downright ignorant and blissfully unaware of how wrong they are.
The Post Office debt is completely fabricated. Any company which had to pay for 75 years worth of healthcare and retirement in 10 would be in the same shape.

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2013, 03:26:45 PM »
The Post Office debt is completely fabricated. Any company which had to pay for 75 years worth of healthcare and retirement in 10 would be in the same shape.
See: The auto industry.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2013, 03:45:29 PM »

especially on top of bad customer service and rude attitudes that drive customers away and general unprofessionalism and not doing a single thing to address those issues besides raising prices of things to make up for lost customers. The Post Office is tsuck in the 50s thinking they are the only player in town still and can treat customers anyway they see fit. What they fail to realize is that many people dont need them anymore and packages can be sent through other companies and thus not likely to take their crap that had to put up with in the past anymore.

Heroette

• Elite Boss
  • Penelope Pistol lives forever in my heart.
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2013, 03:45:39 PM »

My dad used to work (and retired from)  the post office when it was run by the goverment  but now its a privately run corporation.  The government doesn't run it anymore.  They just own it.

downix

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2013, 03:48:51 PM »
not even the same situation. The Auto Industry is one of non-paid pensions, not overpaid pensions.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2013, 03:52:26 PM »
See again - Blissfully unaware of how to run a business and the dangers of unfunded pensions.

A successful bureaucrat rising to the top of the heap is rarely a successful business person. Throttling creativity and going against common sense to foster croney capitalism and nepotism will always end poorly.

Look at the government backed Solyndra - they were trying to make solar panels that you can buy for much cheaper based on a chinese product that gets government subsidies. Now a clever businessman would say - let's buy as many of those chinese backed panels as we can get and punish them for selling them at government expense. Our silly government backed a bunch of their high dollar donors to SUBSIDIZE OURS! How silly is that. So the plan was lose money as fast as possible to undercut - their undercut..........

Or the lovely LG Chem http://www.treehugger.com/corporate-responsibility/lg-chem-to-build-303-million-advanced-battery-plant-in-holland-michigan.html they got hundreds of millions to make batteries and never made a single one in the US. Here you go http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/Report-LG-Chem-wasted-150-million-grant-for-battery-cells/-/1719418/18536976/-/2g51om/-/index.html.

I could show literally dozens of these "investments" (read paying donors off with taxpayer dollars) done again and again and yet these are the ones supposedly oh so smart and know how to run your business better than you do.

"God made the Idiot for practice, and then He made the School Board" - Mark Twain - or the Federal Government whichever works for you :)

downix

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2013, 04:01:07 PM »
See again - Blissfully unaware of how to run a business and the dangers of unfunded pensions.

A successful bureaucrat rising to the top of the heap is rarely a successful business person. Throttling creativity and going against common sense to foster croney capitalism and nepotism will always end poorly.

Look at the government backed Solyndra - they were trying to make solar panels that you can buy for much cheaper based on a chinese product that gets government subsidies. Now a clever businessman would say - let's buy as many of those chinese backed panels as we can get and punish them for selling them at government expense. Our silly government backed a bunch of their high dollar donors to SUBSIDIZE OURS! How silly is that. So the plan was lose money as fast as possible to undercut - their undercut..........

Or the lovely LG Chem http://www.treehugger.com/corporate-responsibility/lg-chem-to-build-303-million-advanced-battery-plant-in-holland-michigan.html they got hundreds of millions to make batteries and never made a single one in the US. Here you go http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/Report-LG-Chem-wasted-150-million-grant-for-battery-cells/-/1719418/18536976/-/2g51om/-/index.html.

I could show literally dozens of these "investments" (read paying donors off with taxpayer dollars) done again and again and yet these are the ones supposedly oh so smart and know how to run your business better than you do.

"God made the Idiot for practice, and then He made the School Board" - Mark Twain - or the Federal Government whichever works for you :)
The cheap chinese panels were not introduced until 2010, causing the price collapse in the market. They perfected the technology, which used the runoff from silicon chip manufacture, in 2009, to the surprise of everyone. To blame the government, or Solyndra, over a situation which did not exist until the year after the loans, is very silly to me.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2013, 04:04:15 PM »

Well for many companies of the auto world it was merely a case of years of building crappy products finally catching up to them. Redundatn products, products that doesnt do anything great but doesnt do anything particular bad, boring designs, and placing too many eggs into one basket. GM, 1994-2010 (at least) built decent trucks and SUVs that guzzle gas that wasnt a problem when gas was cheap but became a liability when gas prices went up and the car selection couldnt compete with yawn inducing styling and out of date technology compared other offerings. Recently they caught on and started to put more effort into their cars, probably out of the will for survival more than choice. Unlike Toyota which also have SUVs and trucks but also placed money and development into smaller and more fuel efficent vehicles at the same time thus when gas prices skyrocket, they still had money coming in from the sell of their other options and not had to depend on cars that was relegated to rental fleets and government vehicle fleets. I dont think the ex-CEO of GM even cared one bit that he was at the helm nearly killing off GM, the biggest auto maker in the US and one of the biggest in the world as he still, probably from the bailout money, got a large "bonus" for life and "severence package" while people was still laid off. Basically tax payers paid to ensure that ex-CEO walked away with a fortune.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 04:12:00 PM by JaguarX »

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2013, 04:10:30 PM »
"The cheap chinese panels were not introduced until 2010, causing the price collapse in the market. They perfected the technology, which used the runoff from silicon chip manufacture, in 2009, to the surprise of everyone. To blame the government, or Solyndra, over a situation which did not exist until the year after the loans, is very silly to me."

It's easy to just accept stories created for political points by one party or another and get outraged over them. It's a lot harder to do research on the topic and find out what the real stories are, as well as several different perspectives.
Government-bashing is easy and fun. The problem is when people start to believe that they know more and better about how to do things than those who are professional at it.
Sometimes people are right. Professionals make mistakes. The issue is that government-bashers think that professionals make MORE mistakes than ignorant amateurs, and that's an ignorant and amateurish belief to have.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2013, 04:17:16 PM »
The cheap chinese panels were not introduced until 2010, causing the price collapse in the market. They perfected the technology, which used the runoff from silicon chip manufacture, in 2009, to the surprise of everyone. To blame the government, or Solyndra, over a situation which did not exist until the year after the loans, is very silly to me.

To not research the tech again and again and again is a reoccurring theme. Fiskars? Give $500 million to a Finland car company to bost American jobs? Well several high level Democrats had heavily invested in the company so yes.

Give $3 BILLION to Brazilian oil companies to drill for oil in the gulf that our government would not allow Americans to drill for, if you have George Soros invest there yes!

This is not the sole exclusive right of the Obama administration or Democrats to do this - I could list just as many favoring Republicans - I am merely showing the complete lack of common sense and illustrating Mr. Cleese's wonderful saying. Many people who are clueless are completely clueless as to how clueless they are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs23CjIWMgA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0huQFfFtji8

She can feel global warming in her seat as she flies.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2013, 04:19:37 PM »
"The cheap chinese panels were not introduced until 2010, causing the price collapse in the market. They perfected the technology, which used the runoff from silicon chip manufacture, in 2009, to the surprise of everyone. To blame the government, or Solyndra, over a situation which did not exist until the year after the loans, is very silly to me."

It's easy to just accept stories created for political points by one party or another and get outraged over them. It's a lot harder to do research on the topic and find out what the real stories are, as well as several different perspectives.
Government-bashing is easy and fun. The problem is when people start to believe that they know more and better about how to do things than those who are professional at it.
Sometimes people are right. Professionals make mistakes. The issue is that government-bashers think that professionals make MORE mistakes than ignorant amateurs, and that's an ignorant and amateurish belief to have.

Businessmen are professionals. If they lose money they go bust - the government just raises taxes - hence the reason we are in debt for $17 trillion dollars - because we have people investing in areas they are NOT the professionals.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2013, 04:22:16 PM »
A little insight on Solyndra for you by the way:

http://techcrunch.com/2011/10/04/why-did-solyndra-fail-so-spectacularly/

Some people you see don't rely on talking points for either party :)

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2013, 04:31:20 PM »
not even the same situation. The Auto Industry is one of non-paid pensions, not overpaid pensions.
I was actually more or less agreeing with you; the difference was that the auto industry didn't have the money, whereas the post office just kept getting more money poured in. Both institutions faced the same problem, and I was providing secondary reference to illustrate the validity of your point.

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2013, 07:06:52 PM »
Without the post office, where would I get all that paper that fills up my recycling bin?

--
- Baron Munchausen

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2013, 07:31:22 PM »
Without the post office, where would I get all that paper that fills up my recycling bin?
hmm good question.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2013, 07:31:38 PM »
China is playing the long game when it comes to solar and other "green technologies".  By dumping cheap but low efficiency panels on the world marker, they almost guarantee that the companies that are trying to create inexpensive high efficiency panels to go out of business.  At which point China steps in and buys the IP behind that technology.

There was a time when foreign companies were not allowed to buy companies involved in certain technologies, usually technologies that have direct military applications.  While solar panel technology doesn't fall into that definition I firmly believe that economic and military might is fundamentally driven by inexpensive supply of energy.  Because of that I wouldn't like to see ownership of the technology slip through our fingers simply because it has become caught up in political gamesmanship.

As for Solyndra, I believe they had some very innovated technology which solves a number of practical problems where it comes to large scale retrofit of solar on existing flat roof buildings.  Sure it wasn't designed to go on slanted roofs or be used on a dedicated solar farm but the shear number of commercial structures where this technology could be used is still quite large.

The other technology in danger of slipping out of the hands of the US is energy storage.  Since most "green energy" production relies on capture of energy at the time it's available (solar, wind) rather than creating it at the time of use, storage has to be a big part of the equation.  And what happened to the various solar companies behind new innovative technologies being forced out due to dumping from China, new innovative battery companies are experiencing the same thing.

Imagine what life would be like if we let the transistor and other silicon based technology be snapped up by other countries because politicians were to short sighted to see how it could be beneficial in the long run.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2013, 07:45:50 PM »
A) Isn't this better discussed under General? The initial analogy was appropriate, but we're getting close to bickering. Plus, everyone is wrong. :)

B)What was this thread about, again?
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2013, 07:52:54 PM »
A) Isn't this better discussed under General? The initial analogy was appropriate, but we're getting close to bickering. Plus, everyone is wrong. :)

B)What was this thread about, again?
Hey, get back on topic!!
--
- Baron Munchausen

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2013, 07:57:01 PM »
UPS or FedEx?
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

downix

• Elite Boss
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2013, 08:03:19 PM »
UPS or FedEx?
no, UPS would fail to show up with it and FedEx would leave it at some random persons house.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2013, 08:10:46 PM »

You'd probably have to go buy it.

I mean, we have to recycle or the earth will explode. It's a scientific fact. So if you don't have recyclable stuff already then you've got to go out and buy some. And drop it straight into the recycling bin. To save the planet.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2013, 08:33:38 PM »

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2013, 09:00:23 PM »
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2013, 09:22:43 PM »
Don't mix mismanagement with employee performance ;D

I mean look at NCSoft they in our opinion are idiots however they had Paragon Studios as employees.........

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2013, 09:59:23 PM »

I mean look at NCSoft they in our opinion are idiots however they had Paragon Studios as employees.........
Kind of like relationships. The most beautiful women somehow sometimes end up with some dirt bag loser that they probably shouldnt evn looked twice yet or a man with good job, faithful, end up with a woman that is sleeping with everyone under the sun except him.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2013, 10:50:23 PM »
no, UPS would fail to show up with it and FedEx would leave it at some random persons house.

Actually, UPS could break the ValPak mailer. I've known good people who've worked for all three companies. UPS and FedEx don't have mercurial partisan masters who make unrealistic and unreasonable demands.

And, "going McDonald's" means something entirely different, and more people die from it each year than from gun violence.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2013, 11:40:09 PM »
Kind of like relationships. The most beautiful women somehow sometimes end up with some dirt bag loser that they probably shouldnt evn looked twice yet or a man with good job, faithful, end up with a woman that is sleeping with everyone under the sun except him.
I'm sorry. Analogies such as this one should be discussed here: http://www.sosuave.net/forum/index.php

As for the post office, it used to be the only part of the government that turned a profit until e-mail and text messaging got dirt cheap.
As for rude postal workers, I've never met one. I've come across ....efficient (and thus a little terse) workers, but never rude ones.

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2013, 12:34:39 AM »

Brightfires

• Elite Boss
  • ... is *NOT* Groot
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2013, 02:23:11 AM »
For what it's worth, my local PO is ace and both of our regular letter-carriers are very good at what they do...

I collect Asian ball-jointed dolls (ie: Big, heavy, fragile, hard-to-replace and really-freakin'-expensive collectible items that have to be shipped to me from the far side of the planet) and they've almost always gotten things to me on time and in good condition. These little resin minions of mine would seem like a disaster waiting to happen based on the reputation the postal service seems to have gotten, but I have no complaints. I've never had a doll lost, a box crushed or anything ruined by mishandling (accidental or otherwise-).

I'm sure there are jerks that work for the post, and that some offices are likely to be better than others, but it's not a Good Thing to tar and feather the whole lot over those losers. Not when there are people around who are just as good at it as they are bad.

That said... *shakes tiny fist at the piles of junk mail clogging her tiny mailbox*
Taker of screenshots. Player of bird-things.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2013, 02:48:21 AM »
I'm sorry. Analogies such as this one should be discussed here: http://www.sosuave.net/forum/index.php

LMAO  :D

As for the post office, it used to be the only part of the government that turned a profit until e-mail and text messaging got dirt cheap.
As for rude postal workers, I've never met one. I've come across ....efficient (and thus a little terse) workers, but never rude ones.

hmm, maybe it's a Memphis, Atlanta, El Paso, St Louis, Houston, Boston, New York thing.

Half the time I find out my mail never gets to me. Or gets to the sender even after paying for postage which result by definition being robbed. Although they seem to be more than capable of deliverying every single piece of junk mail and mail thta dont belong to me under the sun.  Just recently I had to call their regional office after I caught the mailman red handed this time, not even bothering to delivering a package but instead but putting the pink slip in the mail box. Wasnt the first time he done that but hopefully it will be the last. And not to mention other stuff. Either I'm just unlucky enough to come across every single dirtbag of a mailman and mail person, that is what I thought until I asked around, friends from the area and other cities and many of their experiences was about the same if not worse. One found out the mailman was stealing her packages. Aother one found the mailman throwing them in the dumpster but unfortunately her boyfriend is in jail for beating the crap out of this mail man. Last I heard though, justice wasnt lost, he lost his job. And so on. I wish I could say "yeah, the usps are the most friendly people in the world and would love to have them around" but unfortunatley that is not experience with them and thus cant say that as that is the only experience I have to go buy. But with one incident with the mail system here, partly dealing with unauthorized junk mail that dont even have my address on it nor any address on it for that matter and more stuff that I been requested to stop delivering to me but still insist, I'm taking it a step further if I find one more piece. It would be understandable if the junk mail had an address at least but basically the mailman is using my mail box as a trash can. I'm done speaking with that office. Next time, they will be speaking to a certain representative. I rather not see these people lose their jobs and the usps go down but if they are that disgruntled that they dont want to work, then they should quit and find a new job. Even my job field faces cuts that doesnt mean I take it out on people that come to me for the service my office offer. No I still treat them with respect as if it was normal day. It's hard to have sympathy for an organization that seem to hire the most digruntled people on the planet. I dont even need them. If the mail system went total kaputz only thing that would come out of it is that I will finally no longer have to worry about junk mail. It seems many dont like what they do and thus maybe job cuts would be best and hope they dont get rid of the good ones but te ones that already act like they do not wish to be there.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2013, 02:13:03 PM »
hmm, maybe it's a Memphis, Atlanta, El Paso, St Louis, Houston, Boston, New York thing.

How is this part limited to postal carriers? *ZING* :)

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2013, 03:55:54 PM »
Like any organization, the USPS is made up of people.

Some of these people are real saints. Hard working, honest, friendly, and earnest in their duties and eager to serve the customer. Members of the community and proud of it.

Others are lazy, shiftless, or just plain dishonest. Loafing on the union's guaranteed pay for minimal work, looking for excuses to "put it to the man" by finding loopholes to do the barest minimum, grouchy, rude, entitled, and bitter. Petty tyrants with a little bit of power, and overly eager to abuse it.

And it runs the gamut between.

The postmaster and postmaster general for an area will have a strong impact on this; a dishonest, lazy, or inept one will tolerate a lot more dishonesty, laziness, or just plain incompetence from his underlings. An honest, hard-working, in-tune one will run a tight ship. The first will tend to frustrate the good examples into quitting in disgust as they see the bad actors rewarded and they themselves can't catch a break. The second will tend to squeeze out the bad actors, rewarding the hard workers by being aware of their excellence and specifically paving the way for them to do their jobs even better.

The other side of the coin is the union. A union with a boss who is dishonest, sneaky, greedy, or just very skilled at "protecting" the bad actors will make it hard for even a good postmaster to keep his people well-behaved. A union with a boss who genuinely wants to represent the workers will know them and will work as an ally to a good postmaster to make things fair for the best actors, and fair (in the sense that they will get justly and thus poorly treated) to the bad actors as well.

So, it's people. A lot related to the people "at the top" for a region, but it's just...people.

downix

• Elite Boss
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2013, 04:40:56 PM »
The other side of the coin is the union. A union with a boss who is dishonest, sneaky, greedy, or just very skilled at "protecting" the bad actors will make it hard for even a good postmaster to keep his people well-behaved. A union with a boss who genuinely wants to represent the workers will know them and will work as an ally to a good postmaster to make things fair for the best actors, and fair (in the sense that they will get justly and thus poorly treated) to the bad actors as well.
A small note, the union workers elect the union boss. As the postmaster helps set hiring guidelines, he indirectly has a strong influence over that union boss. A postmaster who lets laziness and corruption in will wind up with a lazy, and corrupt union boss counter.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2013, 04:47:59 PM »

And they chose to fire them all, thus qualifying them as idiots.