Author Topic: Defender's Manifesto?  (Read 11357 times)

Nealix

• Lieutenant
Re: Defender's Manifesto?
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2014, 06:46:09 PM »
My first level 50 was an empathy/mental blast defender.  On some teams being an empathy defender was a lot like playing 'whack a mole' as you constantly tried to keep team members alive.  Those were usually teams without tanks.  It always made me happy when I managed to keep one of those teams up and everyone would praise my heals.

I had that character with hasten and I slotted recharge reduction IO sets so I could keep both RA's up most of the time.  I had a lot of fun with that character and rediscovered him, after a couple of years of not playing him, when incarnate content came out.  I think he was my only level 50 defender.  Once corrupters came out I usually preferred them over defenders, especially once you could switch sides.

DarkCurrent

• Boss
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2014, 06:59:40 PM »
I loathe the word HEALER. I never wanted a healer for any of my teams.. a defender sure.. a healer.. no thanks.

My SG name was called FRUIT SALAD .... I was and continue to be a huge believer in fruit salad. My main toons the first 4 or 5 years I played were defenders...none of which were "healers" not even my Empathy Defender. Sure I had heal other and heal aura...as well as Regen aura... but I was not a healer.... I was a Defender.

http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/User:Morrisri/Fruit_Salad

Did you rock that aura?  Especially at the trainer?  Really shows off your 1337 h34l sk1lz.

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2014, 07:16:04 PM »
My personal manifesto as a Defender...

1. This is going to hurt-but I'm going to jump into a fight to save that fool anyway.

2. If you run off ahead of me- you deserve what happens to you.

3. I am not just a healer- sometimes I'm your last chance.

4. Don't disrespect the Defender- unless you want to find out how hard life is without one.

Truer words have never been spoken.

I'd like to add 1 though:

5. When I say the tank/brute is getting everything, don't whine to me about rezzing you.  I'm too busy keeping our body guard that you got in trouble alive.
No Surrender!

DocHornet

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2014, 01:09:28 AM »
Here's my personal Defender Manifest-No ... in flow chart form!  :)

fearalice

• Underling
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2014, 02:01:41 AM »
Personally i felt the Sonic/Sonic defender far surpassed the same as a corruptor. The debuffs on the attacks were more potent, the resistance buffs were more potent.

Me and two other friends all ran the same sonic sonic defender setups, and the compounding debuffs made scrappers go ballistic with the damage they were doing. It was a riot! =D

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2014, 12:23:09 PM »
Defenders were statistically better with the buffs, and generally better with damage when soloing.
Corruptors were better with damage on teams. Since team damage usually is focused upon AoEs, Corruptors end up doing more AoE damage.

If you wish to team and not blast much, Defenders are good. If you wish to solo and solo AVs, Defenders are good. If you wish to team and blast as a major action rather than as an afterthought, Corruptors are good.

MMs are a different game, leaving aside that their secondary selections were a bit limited.

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2014, 07:54:54 PM »

Nope I never rocked the aura on my Empathy Defender or any other defender. Only time I put a heal (Heal Other) on auto was pre-Issue 9 Hami raids when I was on aggro team and was healing the tank. That got extremely boring so I decided to roll an Illusion/Rad Troller so I could alternate and be on the drop team as well.

Did you rock that aura?  Especially at the trainer?  Really shows off your 1337 h34l sk1lz.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2014, 12:50:31 AM »
I'll download it. That's a big one, but I've done them before. Might take a while but I'll get it. Wanted to pull some guides out any way.

I don't think you need to DL the whole thing anymore. The archive has since been formatted and put up as a site you can browse again. Some of the links still lead to the old location, but overall it works fine for looking up the old stuff. For example the search function doesn't work anymore, but you can still flip pages manually.

Here's the main page:

https://web.archive.org/web/20120904100456/http://boards.cityofheroes.com/index.php

And here's the Player Guides section:

https://web.archive.org/web/20120904103636/http://boards.cityofheroes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=585

Nealix

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2014, 12:07:04 AM »
I never rocked the aura either.  I always had hasten on auto.