Author Topic: So much for the "near miss" with the asteroid?  (Read 19348 times)

FlyingCarcass

• Elite Boss
Re: So much for the "near miss" with the asteroid?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 09:49:18 AM »
Different chunk of space rock.

Here's a video of the meteor:
http://youtu.be/k2BYqLpHKT0

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 09:53:24 AM »
Definitely not the whole 'roid anyhow, but the timing of this is hard to ignore. A fragment from the same asteroid though?

It'll be interesting if tomorrow we find out that instead of one asteroid, there's a bunch of smaller objects traveling along that orbit. Earth's gravity might have fractured it.

Another vid. http://news.yahoo.com/video/russian-meteorite-caught-tape-injuries-071827265.html

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 10:26:04 AM »
Bad Astronomy blog on the event from Slate.  While the fireball was impressive the sonic boom when it finally reached the ground was tremendous.  It contains lots of links and embedded videos.

And it's unlikely related.  The asteroid that's passing is on a south to north trajectory.  This, based on where the sun was it looked to be going east to west.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

blackjak

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 12:27:12 PM »
You know, I  begin to suspect people won't even care until one of these close-passers takes out their cell's satellite or makes their tv channels go away. :roll:
Also, I  wonder about the timinng of last weeks further evidence that the crater in the Gulf of Mexico was the dinosaur killer.
Virtue: Moonsun, Dynamo Jr., Crimson Fury, Sabre Kat, Double Sixxes, Quantum Stranger, Mystic Kirin, Pink.Eye Champion: Blackjak, Redwing Blackbird Justice: Shield Marshal Guardian: White Talon Triumph: Gosuto Union: Stellar Girl

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 03:05:12 PM »
You know, I  begin to suspect people won't even care until one of these close-passers takes out their cell's satellite or makes their tv channels go away. :roll:
Also, I  wonder about the timinng of last weeks further evidence that the crater in the Gulf of Mexico was the dinosaur killer.
Of course.
Near destruction of the earth? meh who cares.
Extinction? Boring
Potnetial destruction of entire cities? *yawn*
Astroid takes out Real Housewives of Atlanta?- ZOFG!!! WHHHHHYYYYY!!! This is cruelty!

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 03:27:11 PM »
Aaron Williams has a poster for that.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 04:39:35 PM »
The one in Russia was likely the size of an office desk.

Now this is an interesting video of someone just parking somewhere (once he cleared a parking space) and leaving his car alone.  His dash cam (does everyone have a dash cam in Russia?  a way to document traffic accidents?) gets interesting at around 4:30 but it takes until 7:00 till the boom (booms) come.

FlyingCarcass

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 05:31:24 PM »
(does everyone have a dash cam in Russia?  a way to document traffic accidents?)

According to a comment I read, that's the reason why. Apparently there's also a tax incentive or something.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 06:35:02 PM »
According to a comment I read, that's the reason why. Apparently there's also a tax incentive or something.

I'm sure the idea of recording every single conversation that people have in their car is a convenient bonus too.

Amazing how strong the blast was, even at such a great distance. Assuming the blast came from the brightest flash, it was about 30 miles away from that parking lot.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 08:08:15 PM »
Now this is an interesting video of someone just parking somewhere (once he cleared a parking space) and leaving his car alone.  His dash cam (does everyone have a dash cam in Russia?  a way to document traffic accidents?) gets interesting at around 4:30 but it takes until 7:00 till the boom (booms) come.
I giggled when the car alarms went off. Further evidence of how powerful it was.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 08:58:49 PM »
The one over Russia was the size of a motorhome, roughly. The Asteroid that passed between the GPS satellites and the weather and communication satellites was about the size of a ten story building. The Tongusca object was estimated to be about the size of an old VW Beetle. The Chicxulub object was the size of a medium sized town.

That said, Russia is a bit like Montana. It's vast, with localized pockets of population, except on the western quarter or so. If this had happened over a major metropolis, we wouldn't be having casual discussions; we would be sending aid.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Kuriositys Kat

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 01:39:36 AM »
The Russian meteor and 2012 DA14 are in no way related  courtesy of http://www.spaceweather.com/ and http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?release=2013-061 http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?release=2013-062

The other bit of good news 2012 DA14 missed the satellites on orbit which is very good news for all of those that rely on them for navigation, weather and even the reality*shudder* programmes.

Not mentioning the other functions that they are useful for *ahem* information gathering *ahem*
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do!" - The Doctor

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 01:40:12 AM »
The Batallion's opening shots. Where, I say, where are the Shivans?
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

blackjak

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2013, 01:58:27 AM »
Heard somewhere that the dashcams are the publics only recourse in corrupt courts.
Virtue: Moonsun, Dynamo Jr., Crimson Fury, Sabre Kat, Double Sixxes, Quantum Stranger, Mystic Kirin, Pink.Eye Champion: Blackjak, Redwing Blackbird Justice: Shield Marshal Guardian: White Talon Triumph: Gosuto Union: Stellar Girl

SerialBeggar

• Elite Boss
    • Serial Beggar
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2013, 02:16:22 AM »
does everyone have a dash cam in Russia?

From what I've read, there is apparently rampant insurance fraud in Russia.  Commercial vehicles, in particular, are required to have dash cams.  And I guess, the general populous have been getting them too.  As a side effect, that's why there are so many crash videos available from Russia.

I have been inspired to shop for a dash cam.  Unfortunately, the ones at Amazon all have such poor reviews.
Teams are the number one killers of Soloists.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2013, 03:08:33 AM »
http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fzyalt.livejournal.com%2F722930.html&act=url

http://www.heavy.com/news/2013/02/meteorite-like-object-strikes-cuba-as-asteroid-buzzes-earth-after-russia-meteorite-strike/

What will strike us is the utter lack of reaction from the Russian drivers.  Keep in mind that until the late 1980s, expressing emotion to the wrong people could result in you taking a long unplanned vacation to a labor camp. Or worse. So culturally there is that happening. I mean I'm sure that this is being discussed, and so on, but in a different way. IIRC in Russia you would be in private with your confidantes, versus looking for the nearest TV camera for your 15 mins of fame on reality TV
If that makes sense. Over there for a longest time, attracting attention to yourself could be a lethally bad career choice
Versus here where it's a path to 'fame' in a sense.  The saying about the nail that sticks up gets hammered down is a very real thing there, versus over here.

Still I get a kick out of the guy with the cam in the parking lot of what is obviously an industrial building when the shockwave hits.  Clearly going "WHAT THE FRAK WAS THAT?" as all the car alarms go off.

I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2013, 04:47:28 AM »
If that makes sense. Over there for a longest time, attracting attention to yourself could be a lethally bad career choice Versus here where it's a path to 'fame' in a sense.  The saying about the nail that sticks up gets hammered down is a very real thing there, versus over here.

Adding even more to the fear behind all of this: It wasn't very long ago, less than a decade by some accounts, that Russia was still running on its hair-trigger policy for nuclear defense. North Korea just shook their sabre at the world recently, and then suddenly there's this object shooting through the sky that ends with a blinding flash and an earth-shattering kaboom. I'm sure the cold war is still fresh in Russia's memory, and some argue it never even ended. Just imagine what was probably going through everyone's mind.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2013, 07:17:27 AM »
Of course.
Near destruction of the earth? meh who cares.
Extinction? Boring
Potnetial destruction of entire cities? *yawn*
Astroid takes out Real Housewives of Atlanta?- ZOFG!!! WHHHHHYYYYY!!! This is cruelty!

Is it at all shocking that taking away the escapes we use to cope with the fact that we are always teetering on the edge of unpreventable disasters of varying magnitudes is of more immediate importance than the distant threat or realisation of such disasters?  We need to be distracted from the Total Perspective Vortices that naturally present themselves lest our psyches collapse in upon themselves.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2013, 08:02:47 AM »
I giggled when the car alarms went off. Further evidence of how powerful it was.

What impressed me was the shaking of the car from the primary and followup sonic booms.  Based on the time delay between the meteor passing and the sonic boom it was that "loud" roughly 25-30 miles away.