Author Topic: So much for the "near miss" with the asteroid?  (Read 19347 times)

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
Re: So much for the "near miss" with the asteroid?
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2013, 08:28:40 AM »
Aaron Williams has a poster for that.

Incidentally... shouldn't that be "Meteors"?  They're not really saying anything until they enter your atmosphere...
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2013, 08:58:39 AM »
NASA now estimates it was 17m in size weighing around 10,000 tons and was equivalent to nearly 1/2 megaton of energy released.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

blackjak

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2013, 12:16:41 PM »
Yeah. I used to live in Orlando and the booms made by a shuttle takeoff at Cape Canaveral were way smaller.
Virtue: Moonsun, Dynamo Jr., Crimson Fury, Sabre Kat, Double Sixxes, Quantum Stranger, Mystic Kirin, Pink.Eye Champion: Blackjak, Redwing Blackbird Justice: Shield Marshal Guardian: White Talon Triumph: Gosuto Union: Stellar Girl

Nightmarer

• Boss
  • We all float down here
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2013, 01:47:38 PM »
Let me apologize for not having read the whole thread (yet) but I just wanted you guys to know something and I'll try to be crystal clear:

We spaniards discovered the asteroid so... did you REALLY expect our calculations to be accurate?

Honestly, less worrying about the asteroid's name and more double checking calculations, we're spaniards after all so we're counting on someone to double chack calculations and fix them because we already lost interest on it, discovering an asteroid might take a few weeks, but bragging about it lasts a lifetime  :P

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2013, 03:46:56 PM »
Is it at all shocking that taking away the escapes we use to cope with the fact that we are always teetering on the edge of unpreventable disasters of varying magnitudes is of more immediate importance than the distant threat or realisation of such disasters?  We need to be distracted from the Total Perspective Vortices that naturally present themselves lest our psyches collapse in upon themselves.

hmmm I guess people need escape from the problems. *sigh*  miss the days when people faced problems instead of trying to escape from them.

Wait, you dont need the nuts to do anything these days. All a person have to do is get online talk big and bad to show how tough they are and they are immediate bad panacake. :p

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2013, 04:53:42 PM »
Watching the coverage of 2012 DA14 passing I'm reminded how much I miss Miles O'Brien or Lou Dobbs on CNN (both really big space geeks).  They would have at least told people what the name 2012 DA14 means which could be used to illustrate just how many of these things are found every year.  CNN resorted to putting their weatherman on to explain a bit about the asteroid since CNN laid off all of their science and tech reporters back in 2008.

2012 - Year of discovery
D - Discovered 2nd half of February
A14 - Relative number discovered in that period.  It starts with A, goes to Z (skips I because it could be confused with 1) then starts over at A1 - Z1, then A2 - Z2, etc.

So 2012 DA14 means it was the 351st asteroid discovered in the 2nd half of February 2012.

Oh, there's been 5 (or 6) asteroids that have based closer to Earth than 2012 DA14, those were very small and only discovered a few days before or after their pass.

And by (or 6) I mean asteroid 2008 TC3 which was discovered about 20 hour before it actually hit Earth above the Sudan in 2008.  The first object whose impact area was calculated ahead of time.

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2013, 05:50:59 PM »
I so wanna say NEERRRRDDSSS!! but then I'd be hypocritical about being a space geek, and this stuff hopefully will kick start the 'get the hell off this rock'-itis that needs to infect everyone.  We're not exactly safe from something ELE sized, now, are we?

Wow, that blast though... scary.  Cool, but scary.

/Salutin' mah fellow geeks!  Space rocks!
//Oh, yeah, that pun wasn't supposed to happen.  Crud.  Leavin' it.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2013, 06:01:29 PM »
I so wanna say NEERRRRDDSSS!! but then I'd be hypocritical about being a space geek, and this stuff hopefully will kick start the 'get the hell off this rock'-itis that needs to infect everyone.  We're not exactly safe from something ELE sized, now, are we?

Wow, that blast though... scary.  Cool, but scary.

/Salutin' mah fellow geeks!  Space rocks!
//Oh, yeah, that pun wasn't supposed to happen.  Crud.  Leavin' it.

never been safe, cant do much about it. When it happens, it will happen. In the mean time I'm just enjoying the ride until last call. Although I'm kind of curious of what kind of creatures will spring up if an ELE did happen and wipes the planet clean of humans. Will they immediately start screaming about global warming because the glacier that is covering Florida after the cold that may come after the ELE is melting or will a couple meet and one of them say "the end is near".

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2013, 11:15:24 PM »
Incidentally... shouldn't that be "Meteors"?  They're not really saying anything until they enter your atmosphere...
I would much prefer that those asteroids that make us question how our space program is coming along remain asteroids so that we can still have these discussions.  :)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2013, 02:13:53 AM »

In space, nobody can hear you... uhh.... make rock noises?

houtex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2013, 03:50:41 AM »
never been safe, cant do much about it. When it happens, it will happen. In the mean time I'm just enjoying the ride until last call. Although I'm kind of curious of what kind of creatures will spring up if an ELE did happen and wipes the planet clean of humans. Will they immediately start screaming about global warming because the glacier that is covering Florida after the cold that may come after the ELE is melting or will a couple meet and one of them say "the end is near".

Well, yeah, I know we've never been safe, Jag, just like the Dino's and Chixchilub (sp?)

But... we DO have an opportunity to NOT BE HERE, and that's what I'd like to see:  Some o' us'n's not here, but out there.  Thataway.

/I know, I know... pipe dream.  Still like to see it.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2013, 05:02:42 AM »
hmmm I guess people need escape from the problems. *sigh*  miss the days when people faced problems instead of trying to escape from them.

Facing problems is something you do when there's a chance of overcoming and/or preventing them.  When that's not an option you hide in a hole and hope the problem goes away, preferably leaving you in livable conditions afterwards even if you have to face the problem of picking up a few pieces.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2013, 05:46:50 AM »
But... we DO have an opportunity to NOT BE HERE, and that's what I'd like to see:  Some o' us'n's not here, but out there.  Thataway.

/I know, I know... pipe dream.  Still like to see it.

There's a Dutch space agency currently looking for volunteers for a future Mars colony.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2013, 06:39:16 AM »

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2013, 12:51:16 PM »
In space, nobody can hear you... uhh.... make rock noises?
Yes, some people can... If they have radio to listen to a radio station that broadcasted rock... music :-)
Yeeessss....

houtex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2013, 05:58:06 PM »
There's a Dutch space agency currently looking for volunteers for a future Mars colony.

Yeah, I read about that.  Very very interesting concept, and I approve of it.  And... frankly... sometimes I wonder if I should sign up.  Doubt they'd take me, being short, somewhat overweight, 45 and having a teensy bit of pre-hypertension.

And that whole "where's my shower and toilet?" in the morning.. that might be tough to deal with...

But I applaud their efforts, and sincerely hope they get good people to volunteer their lives for the greater good of mankind.  Because, waxin' poetic, that is nothing short of what it is, and it is a spectacular effort being thought about here.

Also, reading about this:
http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Technology/Building_a_lunar_base_with_3D_printing

Makes it quite hopeful that this can be done really really easy with Mars too, maybe.

/Humans, sometimes, they don't suck so bad. :)

Lucretia MacEvil

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2013, 08:19:07 PM »
It seems like that particular chunk of rock was a "near miss" like George Carlin talks about (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuCN6CD8j_s).

Now that I got that out of the way...

When I was a kid, I visited the Kennedy Space Center on a field trip.  While there, I purchased a t-shirt that said "Space Available:  I signed up for Mars!".  I'm really tempted to order an adult-sized copy of that shirt and look into that Mars colony thing....

JetFlash

• Boss
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2013, 10:45:32 PM »
What impressed me was the shaking of the car from the primary and followup sonic booms.  Based on the time delay between the meteor passing and the sonic boom it was that "loud" roughly 25-30 miles away.

The "boom" was not from a sonic boom, but from the rock literally exploding from the heat and pressure of entering the atmosphere.  As mentioned above, the force was equivalent to a small thermonuclear device.

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2013, 10:49:00 PM »
The "boom" was not from a sonic boom, but from the rock literally exploding from the heat and pressure of entering the atmosphere.  As mentioned above, the force was equivalent to a small thermonuclear device.
Otherwise known as a shockwave.
Yeeessss....

blackjak

• Elite Boss
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2013, 01:43:13 AM »
I think you can hear the double boom of the sonic boom (there is usually two)  on one of the videos as well as the shockwave.
Virtue: Moonsun, Dynamo Jr., Crimson Fury, Sabre Kat, Double Sixxes, Quantum Stranger, Mystic Kirin, Pink.Eye Champion: Blackjak, Redwing Blackbird Justice: Shield Marshal Guardian: White Talon Triumph: Gosuto Union: Stellar Girl