Author Topic: Reply from contact at Google!  (Read 93148 times)

Tanklet

• Boss
Re: Reply from contact at Google!
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2013, 12:26:52 AM »
Oh, and this:

*opens door again, pokes head in*

Just wanted to say good luck, we're all counting on you.

*exits, closes door*

Airplane quote! +2 points!

Oskmey

• Minion
  • Listening to the roar of the Infinite
    • My DevArt Page
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2013, 09:08:47 PM »
Just do not call her Shirley.

:)

Thanks for everything that you are doing and good luck with the deadlines. I look forward to reading it!
"I kept running, kept hoping for a change
kept moving the pieces kept shifting the blame
he said my time now runs short let's play
just keep breathing baby one more day"
--Episode 6 Many Happy Returns by Do Not Forsake Me Oh My Darling

Vasarto

• Boss
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2013, 12:58:51 AM »
I cannot believe that Disney didn't work out. After all the letters I am sure everyone sent in.

So what is the SW franchise anyway?

Also is this mean google is interested or does it mean that a contact we have there is interested in pitching it to google?

Timelord Tom

• RIP Timlord
  • Lieutenant
    • Paragon Radio Gallifrey
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2013, 01:12:21 AM »
Thanks for the update. Sounds very positive! *crossing fingers, knocking on fake wood*

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2013, 02:28:01 AM »
I cannot believe that Disney didn't work out. After all the letters I am sure everyone sent in.

Also is this mean google is interested or does it mean that a contact we have there is interested in pitching it to google?

We don't know that it didn't work. As VV said, Disney is monumentally slow, and if they were interested, they might only be getting around to reading the pitch package now.

Star Wars- Probably the Old Republic? Not sure what you are referring to.

As for the last question, I'm not sure, but I took it as VV's contact said his contact wanted to read the pitch package. To me that sounded like someone at Google is interested in being interested. XD But I don't really know. She'd have to answer that for sure.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2013, 05:10:44 AM »

Star Wars.  And it is everything I believe, they own the rights to Star Wars and the Star Wars franchise now probably with Lucas making a fatty royalty check.  I imagine Bioware is still heading SWTOR however.  I think that Disney is just now the new copyright holder of Star Wars.

Hopefully Disney is interested, Google would be nice too.  We just need a company that has enough money that NCSoft will take them seriously and has shown customer loyalty in the past.

Thanks for the update V.V good luck on finishing the book, hopefully you don't have too many all-nighters

EDIT:  The first part is speculation using what I have heard and read as well as some knowledge of copyright regarding music.  Please feel free to correct me if I am incorrect, also keep in mind it may not be 100% accurate before quoting it or sourcing it
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 05:17:14 AM by Taceus Jiwede »

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2013, 08:55:20 AM »
I think you're right, they own the IP - and EA/Bioware has a license with them to use it for SWTOR.
It was also the reason that SWG was shutdown, they didn't get that license renewed. (From what I've heard at least, I never played SWG)

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2013, 12:11:38 PM »
This is good to hear that Google wants to at least see the proposal. At the very least we could get some feedback from them or the direction they think we should go even if they arent interested.

I think its going to take someone big like a Disney or Google to move NcSoft. If a huge company like those two come knocking and you ignore them... the shareholders have to take issue with that..

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2013, 12:32:14 PM »
This is good to hear that Google wants to at least see the proposal. At the very least we could get some feedback from them or the direction they think we should go even if they arent interested.

I think its going to take someone big like a Disney or Google to move NcSoft. If a huge company like those two come knocking and you ignore them... the shareholders have to take issue with that..
And NCSoft would probably lie to their face, maybe claim their offer was incredibly low.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2013, 03:04:21 PM »
And NCSoft would probably lie to their face, maybe claim their offer was incredibly low.
but given the IP is sittign there and prior it was said that once the game shutdowns and sits it will lose value quickly to a buyer. So they may make a low offer but one that is too low for NCSoft. Thus it may not neccessarily be a lie, as the definition of "low" varies. There is many facets of value. The belived value to the seller, believed value of the buyer, believed value to outsiders, believed value by industry standards. When those dotn align there is usually no sale. Just like a pawn shop. Take an iPod to the pawn shop after paying $299, they might give you $50 if they asre feeling generous, then sell it for $150. It was worth to then buying it $50 and that is fair to them because they want to make money, but when they get it the value as a seller on same item is higher. While many people would scoff at selling their $300 ipod for $50 many people feel $50 is worth it in their current perdic. Thus NCsoft may not find low ball offers yet worth it but give it time and they may eventually find those low ball offers more than fair if their situation changes.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2013, 03:53:29 PM »
How much is an IP worth once it is no longer published?

It is going down drastically month by month.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2013, 05:54:31 PM »
How much is an IP worth once it is no longer published?

It is going down drastically month by month.

Yep. And that is where I think the chasm between the definition of the value is growing larger as time goes on. After shutdown, the cost to restart it remains the same whether they did it two days after shutdown or do it in 2015 (inflation and labor, license, server costs not withstanding). While on the seller end the value of the IP probably decreases each month. Although in the seller's mind, the value may be greater than what people are willing to spend. On our end we see that while the community is here and waiting and it's easy money for who ever buys the IP, the number of people decrease each day thus each day that is less "guaranteed" income each day. More than likely the buyer sees this, we see this but the seller do not seem to see this.

There are times where I wish there was some semblence of a KellyBlueBook for IPs. Even KellyBB isnt concrete and not for every situation but it gives all parties some sort of value to expect which make car transactions and pricing easier. Here with the IP, the price is what ever the seller says it is but whether or not it sells depends on whether or not the buyer wants to spend the asking price or else the IP will just continue to sit with different value numbers placed on it and no agreement made.

When Facebook was alot smaller, Microsoft tried to buy it for a crazy amount of money, way more than what it was currently worth but Z-man turned them down. It was more valuable to him at that time regardless of what it was officially appraised at. In hindsight, it was a good thing as it is now worth many times more than what Microsoft offered even though at the time with uncertain future, he turned down an offer that many people at the time thought he was nuts for turning down. Z-man had a plan. Here, who knows what NCsoft plan consist of but I dont think their plan consist of increasing the value of the IP beyond what has been offered so in hindsight, they may be missing out on millions. Or hell, their plan may be to sit on the IP if the only reason is because they can. Or maybe in their mind the value is inflated based off the numerous offers so soon after the shutdown and maybe they are thinking they can put these people on ice until they want to sell and see if they can get original offer. As stated here if people won the lottery, even an IP that has been dead for few months now, meaning according to the logic of decreasing value month to month, they would still offer 10 million if NCSoft took it, which is still about the same offer if not more than what was offered original. If NCsoft know that people will be waiting month after month with cash, and they are not yet hungry for cash, they probably will sit and wait until they are good and ready or have use for 10 million and contact those people that made original offer and just to make it more enticing might shave off a few million off the price to make it look even more better, especially if they manage to get big dogs like Google and Disney calling them. The dude with a mere 3 million probably wont make it on the radar when compared to the business savvy and weight of the likes of Google and Disney.

And I would understand that. If I had Disney and Google on the line and some off shoot smal beans guy each offering 3-6 million, I probably wont even bother with the small guy until I finish up with Disney and Google, even if I say I'll get back to Disney and Google in 3 months about their offer the small beans probably wont get around to a phoen call. Maybe a standard type letter from the secretary stating we have recieved their offer that I give out to anybody that put an offer in without the weight of major players. Why? I might be able to get afew extra million out of those two giants, as they wotn miss it, while that extra one or two millions may be stretching it and a big deal to the small fry. But if I had the mindset of "I'm not selling at all regardless if Jesus Allah Buddah Ja Jehovah Satan Mot Poacatlye Shiva Vishnu Zeus Chac Quetzalcoatl or Kukulcan themselves all made offers, then it wont be sold." But given they havent really stated much of their plans, who really knows what they are doing or thinking.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2013, 06:18:57 PM »
They are thinking - all your servers are belong to us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAJlQ6o8p9g

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2013, 03:21:34 AM »
I just wanted to add my own thanks to everyone else's, Mercedes, for all you and your husband are doing to help find a new home for CoH.  I won't say "you are our only hope" - talk about pressure! - but you all are certainly a bright hope. 

Thanks to you and Tony V and everyone here who's working hard to find a new buyer, convince NCSoft to sell, and just keep spirits up.

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2013, 05:07:52 AM »
No, no, it's "....good luck, We're all counting on you."  And be sure to close the door after you poke your head in.

/Indeed, my sentiments exactly to all involved!  THANKS!

Omega Mark V

• Boss
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2013, 08:13:54 PM »
Amazing news! I'll be praying for a great outcome!

Personally, I can see something to be thankful for. Having a friend who has ties to Google which get's us noticed like this is an amazing coincidence... I call it answer to prayer. :)

This made my day a bit better, after getting 72.5% on a college exam.
- Omega Mk. V

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2013, 11:02:29 PM »
Yeah, very very different though from an entertainment only company like Disney or Steam.

Man, wouldn't it just be great if Valve bought CoH?  Just typing it makes me feel all warm inside.  Of course Valve is notorious for taking a LONG time on projects but they are always great projects.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2013, 04:04:29 AM »
checking in, I wish business could be discussed quicker at google so we could get an answer but I'm sure they have good reasons and they are our lifeline right now.
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2013, 11:29:16 AM »
We're still working on the rewrite of the pitch, Josh.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2013, 11:49:38 AM »
We're still working on the rewrite of the pitch, Josh.
You said Rae, Quinch and Ammon are doing it. How's your own book writing going ? Did you get a postpone for a month's worth of flu ?
Yeeessss....