Author Topic: possible good news?  (Read 64316 times)

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
Re: possible good news?
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2013, 01:44:14 AM »
Mercedes,

Do you think Team Wildcard should ship Aeria a quick copy of that 31-page "selling" document for CoH?  It would time nicely with Joshex's work, and I'm sure it would help our cause.  If you need help with the money to mail this out, I will happily pay it.  I'm a single working mother, but I would pay a lot more than a Fedex bill to get CoH back.  It would be worth it. 

Not without substantial revision, so there is no "quick" copy available.  We intend to do a new proposal tailored for each new pitch. 
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2013, 05:38:38 PM »
I'm still waiting on thier reply, and still checking every day, when it's something important like business I always make sure to watch my punctuation and grammar.

indeed they're a good company, I don't know how they do it, heh they have like 3-4 games that are medieval fantasy MMOs each presented in a different way and yet each game has a ton of players. and thier game shop... yeah it's making money for certain.
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

DarkCurrent

• Boss
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2013, 03:57:23 AM »
Not without substantial revision, so there is no "quick" copy available.  We intend to do a new proposal tailored for each new pitch.

You forgot to include a SASE with the Disney pitch didn't you?  :P

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2013, 03:07:25 AM »
You forgot to include a SASE with the Disney pitch didn't you?  :P

Now that would just be silly.

The pitch package itself is on GDrive so all of us could work on it at the same time.  However, to avoid making it look like a "cookie cutter" approach (which is insulting), we opted for the more labor-intensive personalized approach.  While this means that we can't just print off a new copy and send it to a new prospect, and it means that we need to put a lot of work in, each time, for the new prospect, it does make us look more professional--that we have done our due diligence, researched the prospect, and are displaying all the ways in which the potential prospect and CoH are a perfect match.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

DarkCurrent

• Boss
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2013, 10:40:07 PM »
So you're saying you can't just black-line the address and salutation with a Sharpie or sticker over with a handwritten label?

Dear Disney CEO Google CEO:

Attached below you will find our pitch for Disney Google to purchase the MMO City of Heroes.

Tanklet

• Boss
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2013, 10:47:36 PM »
So you're saying you can't just black-line the address and salutation with a Sharpie or sticker over with a handwritten label?

Attached below you will find our pitch for Disney Google to purchase the MMO City of Heroes.

From what I know of business, that's something you just can't do. Think of a business proposal as a resume & cover letter (only much more detailed and refined). Companies want to know what you will do for them. What do they get out of investing in you.

There is no one size fits all for this. This requires research. Finding a 'hook' as it were, that will let Disney/Google/etc know that you've studied the way they do business, and just aren't throwing something random at them. From the cover page, to charts, graphs, paragraphs, you have to tie every detail tailored specifically to that particular audience.

Feel free to correct me if I'm speaking out of turn (or my arse), but from what I know, that's how it goes.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2013, 11:59:19 PM »
From what I know of business, that's something you just can't do. Think of a business proposal as a resume & cover letter (only much more detailed and refined). Companies want to know what you will do for them. What do they get out of investing in you.

There is no one size fits all for this. This requires research. Finding a 'hook' as it were, that will let Disney/Google/etc know that you've studied the way they do business, and just aren't throwing something random at them. From the cover page, to charts, graphs, paragraphs, you have to tie every detail tailored specifically to that particular audience.

Feel free to correct me if I'm speaking out of turn (or my arse), but from what I know, that's how it goes.

from my experiences, this is how it worked.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2013, 01:06:41 AM »

It's too bad two people in a row didn't catch your humor, cos I thought it was pretty good. :p
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2013, 01:53:38 AM »
It's too bad two people in a row didn't catch your humor, cos I thought it was pretty good. :p

I'm not too good with tongue in cheek text based humor. It's all words on the screen to me. Even getting the tone that the author is trying to get across is troublesome to me so now I view it all as mere text on the screen and assume it is no emotions, and just text.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2013, 02:00:23 AM »
Really? You actually thought that was an honest question? Really? "Black-line with a Sharpie"? To a business? Really? Really?

lol
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2013, 02:09:48 AM »
Really? You actually thought that was an honest question? Really? "Black-line with a Sharpie"? To a business? Really? Really?

lol

Hey hey, when I assumed emotion intent and tone in the past, it blew up in my face. I'm not making that mistake again.

Only judging words as I see them with no assumptions. They didnt say they was joking so I'm not assuming they was joking.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2013, 07:16:00 AM »

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
  • Keeper of the Sacred Number
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2013, 07:33:13 AM »
[...] 31-page "selling" document for CoH?
Isn't that... a bit... novel-esque to expect anyone at a business to actually peruse (let alone read) before any kind of formal discussions have even begun?  Really?

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2013, 08:34:37 AM »
Isn't that... a bit... novel-esque to expect anyone at a business to actually peruse (let alone read) before any kind of formal discussions have even begun?  Really?

I don't have much experience with business, but I thought that would be about normal for a well written proposal.  Again I have no clue. Then again you could be joking in referral to the above theme in which case *woosh* right over my head lol.

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2013, 11:44:12 AM »
I don't have much experience with business, but I thought that would be about normal for a well written proposal.  Again I have no clue. Then again you could be joking in referral to the above theme in which case *woosh* right over my head lol.
I think it's fairly common. Kinda makes me glad I don't have a job where each day there's a stack of those waiting for me when I get in the office! :P
And I thought it was rather entertaining too, Aggelakis.

DarkCurrent

• Boss
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2013, 12:50:04 PM »
  ;D

Surelle

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2013, 03:05:05 PM »

Hey, I caught right on, too!  Hehe, +1 for DarkCurrent!

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2013, 02:32:49 AM »
AeriaGames like any respectful company will probably not respond to a simple pitch or pitch package regarding a game such as this. I still have gotten no reply.

it's been a while now so I'd like to step-up the game, as nintendo used to tell me when I complained to them abotu how thier games stunk "go to the forums and get the player community to agree with you and we will be delighted to consider it" Paragon Studios also used to say such things inreply to support requests with new ideas.

so, well, I don't want to jump the gun and honestly I can't do it alone I sheerly don't have the content.

I want to make an advertisement post to the Aeria Games Forums of City of heroes and villains to try and show the players what our game had to offer.

I want to both illustrate it in words and of coarse because these are players Slap in a bunch of videos!!!

I have some videos of general zones and some gameplay. but I could use more as well as supportive comments in said thread once it gets started. I could also use help with video ordering putting them in a good order.

so heres what I have so far (no I didn't post it there yet, and it is in thier forum's formatting):

Subject: Save CoH
Subject Description: A game that was killed

Hi, Yes a BIG hello to all the fans of Aeria Games, truely a wonderful and remarkable company bringing us gaming entertainment of all sorts.

I bring to everyone here's attention a game. the purpose of this title is to interest You the fans of Aeria games in this former game City of heroes for the purpose of gaining a desire for Aeria to possibly pick it up, you the fans of aeria will decide whether this game is good enough.

if you don't like reading you can skip to the links.

this is regarding a game that once existed as of pre november 2012.

after which it was brutally murdered and shutdown by it's hosting company NCSoft a south korean based company.

the game City of Heroes and it's counterpart City of Villains were MMORPGs where players could create thier very own superpowered hero or villain. it was originally owned and created and published by Cryptic Studios and then bought by the MMO killer NCSoft.

NCSoft is a heavily futurist philosophied company they are constantly pruning games from thier lists as they feel they become too old or not marketable to asia or smart phones.

with that out of the way, I want to introduce you all to the game, I happen to have a series of videos showing some of the game zones and gameplay, I honestly wish I had more, and I wish the videos were of better quality. but when I was recording I had limited time to get it right.

the game boasted both PVE and PVP Zones, hero and villain allignments as well as intermediary Vigilantes and Rogues, player architypes, character leveling, super power choices, power enhancement, Stories of grandure, and even a trip to ancient rome at LV35!!, the game had missions of multiple different varieties including the ability to make your own missions!! with your own unique stories and enemies!

every aspect was customizable, especially, your character!, from your powers and thier colors and animations to your costume to even your body type and colors of your character; everything was fully customizable and it didn't alter your statistics, you could look however you want and still be an awesome player.

Enjoy, I may get other CoH payers to post videos here too.

And Most important of all REPLY and let everyone know what you think of the game!.

Videolinks go here:

http://www.livestream.com/joshextech/video?clipId=pla_17eea173-9377-4fbc-bda7-12febbc36f69

http://www.livestream.com/joshextech/video?clipId=pla_67b69189-74a4-4273-995e-cb45e44cb362

http://livestre.am/4cZYX

http://livestre.am/4cZYW

http://livestre.am/4cZYV

http://livestre.am/4cZYU

http://livestre.am/4cZYT

http://www.livestream.com/joshextech/video?clipId=pla_78711258-4b8d-4bf9-b1a0-862ea757f8cd

http://www.livestream.com/joshextech/video?clipId=pla_0c2d11f6-b031-49fa-8f05-65dbb367eeac

http://www.livestream.com/joshextech/video?clipId=pla_5edcbb72-306b-4da6-8081-73ca2b03354e

http://www.livestream.com/joshextech/video?clipId=pla_f369f9b3-f885-4576-a4ed-f13ce77dadc0

http://www.livestream.com/joshextech/video?clipId=pla_f444a604-ea02-453f-af18-c1996ee40a15

http://www.livestream.com/joshextech/video?clipId=pla_475255ae-168a-4928-b60a-a90512a3267e

http://www.livestream.com/joshextech/video?clipId=pla_e811a671-2fcc-48b1-965d-ba409040d1ce
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Surelle

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2013, 03:10:32 AM »
Just be careful firstly of your wording because it isn't up to Aeria's fans, or CoH's fans, it's ultimately up to NCSoft whether or not they will even sell CoH.  And of course, publicly both before the shutdown and then again this month in that MMORPG article, NCSoft High Command as it were said again that they aren't selling.

It's a double-edged sword appealing to Aeria's fan-base-at-large out of the blue; hopefully there are some warm memories there for at least some of them and not a lot of trolls or younguns who've never even heard of CoH if this winds up being the route taken.  I am not sure if we should just stick a toe into the water first in maybe their off-topic forum, and gently see if there are many CoH supporters there.  And be careful of sticking a CoH post into any of Aeria's games' General forums.  Usually in any gaming forums, posts about other games immediately get deleted.  Most mods are very strict about that sort of thing. 

I have reviewed and played many MMORPGs over the years, but surprisingly, I have never played any of Aeria's games.  I'm not saying they're not good, I've just never run into them.  But then again, they specialize in F2P, and back in Computer Gaming World's days, that sub-genre didn't really exist outside of Asia, and being published in the USA and Canada we tended to stick with North American releases.

Is there anyone here at CoH Titan who already has a forum login over at Aeria's game forums, and thus would not be perceived as an immediate "outside salesperson crashing  the forums?" 

I'm almost wondering if we should focus more on Aeria themselves.  Giving their current subscriber base exposure to CoH would of course be a wonderful opportunity to grow the game, but we do already have an established, paying customer base for CoH that it wouldn't hurt to remind them of, and many of us were probably not Aeria customers, so there conversely exists the opportunity for cross-selling their other games to this CoH customer base as well.

What does everyone else think?  I mean, we all want CoH back, just not Joshex and I after all.   :P

McCreed

• Minion
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2013, 03:47:25 AM »
It can't hurt, but I agree about making the references to NCSoft a bit more diplomatic.

I would suggest that you consider which features really set CoH apart (ease of PUG-ing comes to mind as one example, in addition to the obvious costume creator which you've already mentioned) and give those a much more prominent treatment than the basic details like PvE and PvP.  The discussion of alignment might be done in a more "broad strokes" fashion without mentioning specifics like vigilante and rogue, just to minimize confusion or detail fatigue.  Just some thoughts.

Also, there are a lot of typographical corrections that you'll want to make before posting it to the forums.