Author Topic:  (Read 9155 times)

SerialBeggar

• Elite Boss
    • Serial Beggar
« on: January 01, 2013, 12:01:57 AM »
Teams are the number one killers of Soloists.

cohRock

• Lieutenant
    • Rich's Tepid Home Page
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 12:36:10 AM »
Although only enough for the first trimester, I have more 50s. ;)
-- Rich

Zekiran

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 01:26:49 AM »
Yeah I've.... got like at least a month's worth of costumes on just my main, and in the last 3 days I've made 6 more individual characters intended to find dragons on my cyberpet dragon adoption site... Of course we're not the best audience for such a project to be shown, because we're all "pfff, lunchtime I did 3 more".

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 02:05:35 AM »
I don't want to be down on someone who is clearly primarily an artist but...

You know, you could see more creativity when it came to names with matching powersets just by sitting at the tram.  Come on..."Lady Bug"?  "Scarlet" for a fire power?  Please.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 03:18:27 AM by Victoria Victrix »
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 03:14:51 AM »
Not bad, but any number of us on City of Heroes did the same thing. Only with complete bios and power sets....and funnier names.

Little Green Frog

• Boss
  • @Little Green Frog
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 03:48:01 AM »
Your remarks make me realize how spoiled I am. One of the big put offs in other games for me is that I know I will not impress anyone with a creative name, great looking costume or a cool concept for my character. It's been so satysfying to receive tells from strangers in Atlas Park saying that they couldn't believe the name of my toon wasn't snatched already. Of course not all characters were made with bragging in mind, but... A lot were and my vanity misses that part of the game the most. Can't do that in CO. Or in TSW. My wildest creation there may very well be a "Jimmy in a hoodie". Sigh.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 04:52:42 AM »
Anyone else wanted to fire up Icon and see how many of these we could actualize, and then send him the snapshot?
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Zekiran

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 07:57:38 AM »
I see no reason not to, lol.

Clearly not all of them are really possible with the costume generator, but hell between COH and maybe Spore...

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 06:03:02 PM »
Not bad, but any number of us on City of Heroes did the same thing. Only with complete bios and power sets....and funnier names.

And less imagination. About one in every 3 characters I saw used the power set names as the character name. "Flaming Needles"? Gee, I wonder what kind of character that is. "Black Ice"? Hrm, hard to say.

And while not many people knew this, turns out you can use more than two colors on the same character. AT THE SAME TIME! I got so many weird looks from people trying to figure out what was going on with my costumes. (-:

It got so bad that I made a caricature about it. I called him Slash Ragequit. I used all the most uninspired costume elements I could think of, and gave him dark fire and claws.

Bear

• Underling
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 07:27:24 PM »
Cornell and Sutter's The Superest had some really witty names and short explanations for the heroes (or villians). Start the series from the beginning and see how the defeat each other.
the+Bear

Tyger

• Minion
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 09:10:54 PM »
I don't want to be down on someone who is clearly primarily an artist but...

You know, you could see more creativity when it came to names with matching powersets just by sitting at the tram.  Come on..."Lady Bug"?  "Scarlet" for a fire power?  Please.
I have to echo GuyPerfect's sentiments with this:

If you've ever spent time in Virtue Pocket D; that could be a cesspool of bad names and dodgy bios. One night almost every villain bio I looked at had some mention of making Lord Recluse their bitch, one even going to say they "allowed him to rule the Isles". And the names that have arisen have been utter generic dross.

So for one guy to do all of this, COSTUMES INCLUDED, is staggering and quite frankly amazing.

SerialBeggar

• Elite Boss
    • Serial Beggar
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 11:04:44 PM »
Anyone else wanted to fire up Icon and see how many of these we could actualize, and then send him the snapshot?

Actually, that's what I meant.  Maybe if he gets a kick out of our recreations of his characters, he'll give us a shout out. 
Teams are the number one killers of Soloists.

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 11:30:26 PM »
And the names that have arisen have been utter generic dross.

The worst name I ever came across was a Dark Melee/Ninjitsu Stalker named--and I wish I was making this up--Dark Ninja Stalker. And he wasn't being facetious.

One guy was clever and named his character after his costume instead of his power sets. The character's name was Randomized Zombie.

Then there's people like DeProgrammer. He made a character called Frozen Cap. It was an Elec/Elec Blaster.

Lucretia MacEvil

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2013, 02:14:44 AM »

True, but still... this guy's trying. 

I know I wasn't too great at making up names when I first started, let alone costumes.  Mr. Downing is also trying to create a new character each day.  Now, I went through a severe alt-oholic period, but one a day for a YEAR?? That would be draining on almost anyone's creativity.

I commend Mr. Downing's attempts, good and poor. 

Does anyone know if he's ever been exposed to the CoX costume creator?  He'd probably have a blast with it, and it doesn't require a lot of erasing to fine-tune a costume.

(also, I really really regret not making a character called Boom Chick now that I see his idea for her)

BobMc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2013, 03:32:23 AM »
After CoV came out, I made a parody character named "DarkSkull DeathDemon" ... all red and black, horns, and every bit of skull themed item I could cram into the costume.

I always loved a wandering NPC on villain-side that used to say something like "Let me guess. Your name is Dark something-or-other"
The final line of a post  by Sweet_Sarah on Liberty
"Together we entered a city of strangers, we made it a city of friends, and we leave it a City of Heroes."

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2013, 08:57:50 PM »
The best/funniest name I ever came across was 'Heroman'....lol. Turns out it was a dad who's 6 year-old son named his character.
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Epelesker

• Boss
  • One fix at a time!
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2013, 09:03:33 PM »
I love these. I hope he's able to finish the project!

Hotaru

• Lieutenant
  • Just a demo-loving fool in the Far East...
Re: WIRED article: ...a New Superhero — For Each Day of the Year
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2013, 02:00:54 AM »
And while not many people knew this, turns out you can use more than two colors on the same character. AT THE SAME TIME! I got so many weird looks from people trying to figure out what was going on with my costumes. (-:

In all fairness, that's largely due to the character creator having linked colors as the default and not explaining anywhere how to undo it. My first day in beta, I zipped through the character creation process and, on seeing characters in AP with more than 2 colors thought, HAX!

Something to keep in mind, Plan Z(s): linked colors are a nice option, but as the unexplained default? Maybe not.

Servantes

• Minion
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2013, 04:59:43 PM »
Well not all idea's that are original tend to be good names let alone PC....not sure if I should be happy or ashamed I played him till level 25 :-\

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

General Oil -  Thermal / Beast Master , all thermal powers are colored black.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2013, 05:09:31 PM »
I had a brute on redside (pre-Freedom) whose costume was a grey-scale copy of Superman. I was going for Jerk Superman from Superman III, but that name was taken, so I went with Specialman. Now, thanks to this, I have to rebuild him in CO and call him Generic Dross. :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."