Author Topic:  (Read 9156 times)

Risha

• Boss
  • Dancing at the end of the World
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2013, 06:01:15 PM »
All right, I didn't do much wonderful naming, CynderSword, Taezer, Thyme to Pay, but I am pretty proud of Runs With Blades, which I put on every server as a place holder.  Oh, and my last tiny lady, Frontstreet Fighter.
Writer of Fantasy and Fantasy Romance

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2013, 02:09:37 AM »
Well, I had La Donna E Mobile ("Women Are Changeable" (aria http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmTJ0bUG8mo )) who was a sonic blaster...a Sopranic Diva got hit in the head with a sandbag and from there on can't tell who she is--she changes to the appropriate operatic character for every occasion.  Brunnhilde from Die Walkure is a big favorite for combat.  That was one of my favorite sorts of puns, multilingual. 

Catshepsut (pun on Hatshepsut, first female Pharoah of Egypt) an Egyptian Feline MM

TexAracana a Texan magician.

Counterclockwise a re-purposed Praet Clockwork in the CCCP

Lorelei Lee (based the the character of the same name from "Gentlemen Prefer Blonds"), water-blaster gold-digging chorus girl, whose character evolved out of the question "What if Lorelei Lee was actually a REAL Lorelei?"

Bobbi Sachs my couture-obsessed redside rad/rad.

I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2013, 03:14:59 PM »
I tended to go with names that were, you know, names. The punny-est one I ever had was my rad/rad Corr who was the only survivor of yet another super soldier project Project Terminated
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2013, 01:24:38 AM »
I had a bubbler/healer named Grynnin Barrett. Here parents (Marsha and Keith Barrett) were hippies that did a lot of 'mood helpers' before Grynnin was born. She was glad her folks named her that instead of 'Moonstone' or 'Starbaby'.
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2013, 03:00:23 AM »
My father in law had a plant controller named Elvis Parsley based on the Las Vegas Elvis.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Surelle

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2013, 03:53:54 PM »
My father in law had a plant controller named Elvis Parsley based on the Las Vegas Elvis.

Oh my gosh, that is hilarious!  One of my 50s on Virtue was a plant troller-- Ground Control was her name.  I had a bunch of 50s, but the trollers (and brutes) were my favorites.  That's a terrific character idea  though!

Risha

• Boss
  • Dancing at the end of the World
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2013, 09:16:40 PM »
And my plant troller was Bent Twig.
Writer of Fantasy and Fantasy Romance

cohRock

• Lieutenant
    • Rich's Tepid Home Page
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2013, 09:36:38 PM »
Elvis Parsley, Ground Control, and Bent Twig are all good.  :)  My plant/storm controller was Gar Denar.

Ground Control could have been an earth controller as well.
-- Rich

Janrith

• Minion
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2013, 06:25:18 AM »
My wife and I won a costume contest on Triumph with a pair of toons we'd created for our fish themed SG... Goldie Prawn and Kurt Mussell.  Aquatically themed after the famous couple.  I don't have a link to Goldie, but here's Kurt...http://cit.cohtitan.com/character/8252

Sailboat

• Boss
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2013, 01:25:30 PM »
Then there's people like DeProgrammer. He made a character called Frozen Cap. It was an Elec/Elec Blaster.

Speaking of names that sound like someone else's powersets....

My vengeful Ice Controller, the Queen of Knives, was made long before the Dual Blades powerset came out -- her name was supposed to be a reference to metaphors for cold stabbing/piercing (see her bio).  One night, speeding through Talos on her ice slide (Superspeed plus the slide power, she came face-to-face with a new Dual Blades heroine named Ice Princess (or something very similar, it's been years).  We stared at each other for a long moment, then I sent a tell:

"Do we have each other's names?"

and got an "LOL" in return.

Sailboat

• Boss
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2013, 01:52:30 PM »
Having looked at the 365 supers list, I am on the fence...some of his stuff is reasonably creative (The Nutcracker made me laugh, with one pinkie extended as he grasps his sinister tool), but some of the characters aren't merely derivative, they're already other people's characters from fiction or comics.  The Treant? Q-Ball?  Powerfist? Fem-bot?

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2013, 07:20:48 PM »
And while not many people knew this, turns out you can use more than two colors on the same character. AT THE SAME TIME!
Oh, they knew.  They knew.

Jonfan

• Minion
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2013, 10:26:33 PM »
Your remarks make me realize how spoiled I am. One of the big put offs in other games for me is that I know I will not impress anyone with a creative name, great looking costume or a cool concept for my character...

I've tried out 6 different and popular games since Nov 30th and not one of them has a char creator that's any better than the kind they had for Baulder's Gate, 20 years ago. Customization? What the hell is that? Evidently none of the other major games even know what the word means. We were so spoiled and most of us didn't even realize it because once we were into CoH, there we no reason to even look at another game.

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2013, 10:28:33 PM »
The history behind my username, which was my first main character?

Arachnos + Arachnids = Arachnion

8)
I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder

Waiting for an invitation to arrive
Goin' to a party where no one's still alive

Epelesker

• Boss
  • One fix at a time!
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2013, 04:08:51 AM »
Yeah, two necros in a week.

The reason why I did want to bring this back up, though, is because he managed to finally finish the project yesterday.

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2013, 06:59:52 PM »
Yeah, two necros in a week.

The reason why I did want to bring this back up, though, is because he managed to finally finish the project yesterday.

CONGRATS!!!!!!  Also, it was fun scanning thru this too!   8)
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine