Author Topic: Marvel Heroes, I think I'll pass, thanks.  (Read 22086 times)

Canine

• Lieutenant
Marvel Heroes, I think I'll pass, thanks.
« on: December 31, 2012, 06:25:55 PM »
I've been hearing little bits and pieces here and there about Marvel Heroes, and not a lot of what I'm hearing has me interested in any way.

And now Penny Arcade have just posted editorial piece which just buried any desire I had to play it.  And yes I know, it's still in beta, and therefore subject to change, but the bits I'm not interested in are sort of fundamental, like the basic gameplay design...

Anyone out there planning on giving it a go, or already trying out the beta?  I'm assuming from the article appearing at all that there's no NDA in place, so that if you were in beta, you'd be able to talk about it.

Dollhouse

• Boss
  • "What will happen? Will I dream?"
Re: Marvel Heroes, I think I'll pass, thanks.
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 07:04:13 PM »
I haven't tried it personally, but two very good friends of mine have - the couple that pulled me away from FPS games and into the MMO world when CoH went live, in fact! They were singularly unimpressed and have no intention of playing it when it drops.  To the best of my knowledge they've both uninstalled the beta client, which kinda says it all. I tend to trust their opinion on games and vice-versa (they're both playing TSW with me now, and while one was a hard sell on that game, his wife likes it a lot...and domestic tranquility carried the day.).
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 03:16:58 PM by Dollhouse »

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 08:02:40 PM »
I don't know what it is about Marvel, but it seems that outside of the movies, they just can't make any good decisions whatsoever.

The actual comics hold no interest for me whatsoever (and when I hear things like them killing off Peter Parker, I'm even less inclined to bother).

They can't seem to licence ANY video game worth playing at all. And this latest offering only continues a depressing trend.

I simply have to shake my head in amazement that ANYONE greenlighted this project. But then, we're not dealing with people who understand gaming. Or really even understand comics anymore. What we're seeing is the decisions of a bunch of "suits" managing an "Intellectual Property" at several removes who aren't even really interested in their own product and who have zero clue about what makes the universe or the characters special.

The movies do well because they've lucked into giving the reins of the production to people who actually are FANS of the material in most cases and love the universe and the product. Or at the very least are committed enough in terms of artistry and work ethic to LEARN about the product and THEN wind up "getting" it during production.

One of the things that makes a superhero world worth playing in is UNIQUENESS. Even DCUO got THAT part right, (even if their character creator is clumsy) I sneer - literally sneer - at the thought of playing this game and seeing a world populated by hundreds of Iron Man, Hulk and Wolverine clones. How the hell are you supposed to even team if you wind up with everyone playing the same character? Are you going to be "Wolverine 8675309?"

Puh-LEASE.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 10:13:48 PM by Atlantea »

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 08:32:57 PM »
I SO wish there were proper claws in CO! My first impulse was to run to CoH and make a caricature of Wolvy called "Wolverine 8675329!" Stupid altoholism!
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 10:46:08 PM »
I SO wish there were proper claws in CO! My first impulse was to run to CoH and make a caricature of Wolvy called "Wolverine 8675329!" Stupid altoholism!

There are, aren't there? I remade my claws stalker there and feel proper. Though I did combine powers from a few sets. Bestial supernatural and the one that gives you actual claws melee weapons. I can't remember the name of it.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 02:30:33 AM »
I played some of it at this past PAX prime, and was thoroughly unimpressed. It's Diablo with a superhero skin (not surprising, considering the lead) and there is no real customization (you have to buy-with-real-money most Marvel characters (there is no ingame way to unlock most of them), then buy-with-real-money outfits for them - or you can farm an ungodly amount of time for them - or maybe eventually there will be an auction house or something).

No thanks.

It looks like they updated the engine though, it looks much prettier. It was pretty scuzzy when we saw it at PAX.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 05:04:41 AM »
I SO wish there were proper claws in CO! My first impulse was to run to CoH and make a caricature of Wolvy called "Wolverine 8675309!" Stupid altoholism!

Fix'd. 

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 05:20:33 AM »
Yeah, I don't think so Marvel. But, if you let me play as Thanos, and then let me kill everyone, I might be interested...for a few minutes anyway.

I agree with Atlantea: outside of Marvel studios, they keep making one boneheaded decision after another. House of Ideas my left butt-cheek.
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 06:25:57 AM »
I knew it was wrong. Made it funnier to me. And, now, I must go find "proper" Wolvy claws in CO.

*sachays away*
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 09:15:58 AM »
Sad if this is the case. My poor friend will probably have to give up MMOs because he has to play Super Hero Genre. Well, he may just hold his nose and play CO but he says it sucks big time. Well, I guess until its in open beta and finalized for initial release, nothing is set in stone.

Servantes

• Minion
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 03:50:21 AM »
Comparing Marvel Universe to Champions, Marvel wins by a mile....but that mile is a road covered in broken glass, you certainly don't want to go back, but not looking forward to the next mile.

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 12:03:31 PM »
Yeah, I don't think so Marvel. But, if you let me play as Thanos, and then let me kill everyone, I might be interested...for a few minutes anyway.

I agree with Atlantea: outside of Marvel studios, they keep making one boneheaded decision after another. House of Ideas my left butt-cheek.

Well its like House of M!

"No more ideas!"
Woo! - Argent Girl

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 12:50:12 PM »
Long ago when they frist announced it would only have their heroes and not allow custom ones, it was off the board for me.  Considering it literally looks like it will play as an online version of Marvel Ultimate Alliance, then I'd rather just play that (and get all ther perks) without the monetization.
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2013, 03:05:32 PM »
I've taken a look at it and have decided that it's ok for what it is. The problem with that is that it IS NOT what I want. So, I'll probably not be playing it.
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

Madadh

• Minion
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 03:31:16 PM »
Actually... Sounds appealing to me.  I'll perhaps give it a go.  But yes, I'd prefer CoH, but, I'd prefer a well done Marvel Universe to CO or DCUO at this point, so...  I'll give it a go

Nos482

• Elite Boss
  • We've gone and done the greatest crime...
    • My PSN profile
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2013, 09:26:37 PM »
In the unlikely case that Kl'rt* is added to the PC-rooster, I'd give it a try. But as it is...
Meh.

*yes, I have a weird taste. so what? 8)
I'm bad and that's good.
I'll never be good and that's not bad.
There's no one I'd rather be than me.

...unless I could be Batman, of course. Everybody wants to be Batman.

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2013, 06:17:39 PM »
Super Skrull? Weird taste? I don't think so! Kl'rt is awesome.
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2013, 09:15:12 PM »
I'd like to see him available, too, but he's a villain.  I know that he's no longer a villain in the comics, but that doesn't seem to matter for these adaptations.  Once a villain, always a villain. The same way that comic Magneto has been dancing back and forth over the heroic line since the 1980s, rarely going back to "true" villainy anymore, but in most adaptations he's still portrayed as the full-on villain bent on world domination he was in 1960s comics.

... of course, that same rule doesn't apply for other former villains like Wolverine, Wonder Man, Hawkeye, and Black Widow, and especially Deadpool (who is *still* mortally ambiguous at best, yet is presented as a full-on hero in adaptations).

daveyfiacre

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, 03:19:12 PM »
i finally got my beta invite...

but thanks to a video preview of gameplay i'm not sure i even want to try it anymore :(

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 10:14:39 PM »
I got an ad offering to let me pay for things in advance... but no beta to see if I'd want to....