Author Topic: Marvel Heroes, I think I'll pass, thanks.  (Read 22084 times)

Valjean

• Lieutenant
Re: Marvel Heroes, I think I'll pass, thanks.
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2013, 08:10:19 PM »
LoL is usually referred to as a MOBA (multiplayer online battle arena). And that seems to be where more games are going towards, versus the traditional MMO.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2013, 10:28:35 PM »
I'd say that fits what I'm seeing of the advance press on MH.

And people really called Diablo 2 an MMO? I thought it was Massively, not massive, Multiplayer Online blah-blah-blah.  By that logic, wouldn't Baldur's Gate (or its cousins) be an MMO? Or Freedom Force? Or Borderlands?
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2013, 10:35:05 PM »
And people really called Diablo 2 an MMO? I thought it was Massively, not massive, Multiplayer Online blah-blah-blah.  By that logic, wouldn't Baldur's Gate (or its cousins) be an MMO? Or Freedom Force? Or Borderlands?

As I said: I argued with those. I managed to get some to understand, others never changed their mind.
For the sake of the community: please stop the cultural "research" in your attempt to put blame on the game's cancelation.

It's sickening to see the community sink that low. It's worse to see the community does not get it.

I'm signing off and taking a break, blindly hope things change.

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
  • E-K and Malfaz taking a break, drinking tea
    • www.pauldamonthomas.com
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2013, 10:42:36 PM »
LoL is usually referred to as a MOBA (multiplayer online battle arena). And that seems to be where more games are going towards, versus the traditional MMO.
What I find interesting (or not) is... how is that different from all of the Dooms, Half Lifes, Jedi Knights, etc. that were extremely popular before?
Any snark is absolutely not directed at you! ;)
I just find it astonishing how industries rediscover popular trends, hehe. Just a few bits added or changed and it's supposedly a brand new age, hehe.

I really need to go back to that thread I started and type out my mind on all of this... I've just not been around that much!

Anyway... again, I really wonder what sort of prices are they going to be selling characters for!
--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

http://www.pauldamonthomas.com/

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2013, 01:13:38 AM »
As I said: I argued with those. I managed to get some to understand, others never changed their mind.

Point taken. I guess there will always be that group of people out there who will staunchly insist that "it is what it says it is because it says it is." No matter what "it" is.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2013, 06:12:26 AM »
Honestly, as a fan of Diablo mechanics (though I like the first more than the second, and I refuse to buy 3 due to Blizzard business practices) and super heroes, I'm excited for this one. It's not an MMO, but it looks fun.

I played LoL for awhile, and yeah, its not an MMO. You can call it a deathmatch game, compare it to whatever you want, but the genre that sprung up from the tower defense/tower invade hybrid (even if LoL has a second maptype that was fun for me until a match that... oh god, that was why I stopped playing at all) with that sort of a play structure is "MOBA" for multiplayer online battle arena, which could apply to a lot of older games too.

I remember purchasing the extra rune pages, a couple of the champ packs, and Leona when she was brand new. She was under no tables, so oh the wait on that...

But yeah, this game isn't an MMO. I'm not excited because it'll be a replacement for CoH, but because it'll be a fun game that fills an itch I've had for awhile, and lets me play as Ms Marvel. I've watched a variety of the gameplay, and a friend gifted me the Avengers founders pack, so I'm eagerly awaiting it.

The fact that its F2P with an implied heavy ability to play the game and unlock loads of things for free means that a lot of the money model will be based around things not being droppable at first and or people with less time to play and or exclusive buy only content. This is good for gamers. It lets people who don't have the money for a monthly sub play and even unlock things that others would pay for. But people with money and no time? They support the game they like, and get stuff they want.

Really, this is win win as long as its fun, and it looks very fun.
Woo! - Argent Girl

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2013, 03:20:20 PM »
Honestly, as a fan of Diablo mechanics (though I like the first more than the second, and I refuse to buy 3 due to Blizzard business practices) and super heroes, I'm excited for this one. It's not an MMO, but it looks fun.

This is one thing you should commit to muscle memory o make the world a happier place:

Diablo 3 got renamed to Torchlight 2.
For the sake of the community: please stop the cultural "research" in your attempt to put blame on the game's cancelation.

It's sickening to see the community sink that low. It's worse to see the community does not get it.

I'm signing off and taking a break, blindly hope things change.

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2013, 07:26:00 AM »
Honestly, playing superheroes will help me separate the biggest thing that angers me about post 1 Diablos.

Why the heck do I want to waste time at an overworld? One. Continuous. Dungeon. That's all. Grrr.
Woo! - Argent Girl

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2013, 12:48:30 PM »
Having seen some actual gameplay now, I don't think I can convince myself to spend money there. I already own Marvel Ultimate Alliance, after all.

Ampithere

• Elite Boss
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2013, 01:26:41 PM »
Having seen some actual gameplay now, I don't think I can convince myself to spend money there. I already own Marvel Ultimate Alliance, after all.

I agree with this statement so much that it hurts.
@Rorn

Most recently active as Blue Baron

Guardian Server

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2013, 03:47:44 PM »
Really, if I wanted to play Ultimate Alliance I'd be digging out the copy I have somewhere and playing it. And if I wanted to be playing Diablo I'd be playing Torchlight 2. Nothing I've seen of this game makes it a better option in either situation.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2013, 06:13:41 PM »
The final release is supposed to be F2P, though, right?

There's a rather large debate going on the Neverwinter Online forum, right now, regarding paid beta for a free game. I'm not in the beta, but I do always take an interest in what the next adaptation of D&D will look like, so I've been keeping half an eye on some of the discussions. Unlike the Marvel Heroes forums, the NWO forums are open, at least to existing PWE accounts.

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2013, 11:28:47 PM »
It is suppoed to be "F2P" its not clear how common or rare the character drops or costume drops are. The $ on the "founders" packs concern me. I more info when the game gets closer to release.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2013, 02:09:15 AM »
I finally got invited to beta and to be honest I saw nothing about the game that would entice me to play it.

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2013, 08:22:32 PM »
I'm not surprised Kaos, F2P with big pay us $ before the game is out. Another ground up F2P and "cash shop" focus usually means more focus on making money than something fun to play.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2013, 01:20:04 AM »
Whoa! First rule of beta: nobody talks about beta. :)

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2013, 01:26:28 AM »
Whoa! First rule of beta: nobody talks about beta. :)
Talking about being in beta isn't covered in their NDA. You can only not discuss game specifics. (Which some folks here are skirting close, but still haven't broken)
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2013, 02:10:29 AM »
Yeah, really, I think that, if there were more to talk about, there would be more talking.

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2013, 06:44:11 AM »
I'm in the beta. It's fun.

It's still not an MMO. I was doubtful at first that they could have it ready by anything but late spring, but they seem fairly competent.
Woo! - Argent Girl

Maressa

• Boss
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2013, 08:40:03 PM »
I gave it a try as part of the press event. This is what I had to say about it. http://www.onrpg.com/MMO/Marvel-Heroes-Online/review/Marvel-Heroes-Beta-Preview I tried to be a bit gentle, but honestly I was not at all impressed.

And today OnRPG had a new feature go up about it from a press event that took place yesterday. It talks about a UI overhaul, crafting, and new content. http://www.onrpg.com/MMO/Marvel-Heroes-Online/news/Marvel-Heroes---Gazillion-Reveals-Beta-UI-Crafting-and-Content-Updates