Author Topic: Marvel Heroes, I think I'll pass, thanks.  (Read 22099 times)

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
Re: Marvel Heroes, I think I'll pass, thanks.
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2013, 01:04:51 AM »
Me too, pay upfront for a game with very little info = no thank you.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2013, 04:56:28 AM »
I can't talk about this game, now...  8)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Tater Todd

• Underling
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2013, 09:36:04 PM »
Yeah...no thank you...I mean look at the price on the ultimate pack.

http://presale.marvelheroes.com/presale_en_us/the-ultimate-pack.html

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2013, 11:04:54 PM »
Yeah...no thank you...I mean look at the price on the ultimate pack.

http://presale.marvelheroes.com/presale_en_us/the-ultimate-pack.html

$200??!!  Okay $150 since it "includes" $50 of in game currency but still.  Good luck with that game guys.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

daveyfiacre

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2013, 01:57:28 AM »
Inorite? first i was all:

then i was all:

and then i promptly returned to Icon and fiddled with some new costumes.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2013, 05:11:43 AM »
If I had a chance to Beta the game and see if I liked it-- a prospect I admit to finding doubtful right now-- that'd be one thing. If I loved a game I could see spending that kind of money on it.

But you haven't invited me to Beta? I haven't seen anything that tells me how the controls on the game work? And you want money from me? Really?

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2013, 06:36:47 PM »
$200??!!  Okay $150 since it "includes" $50 of in game currency but still.  Good luck with that game guys.

But, you get listed in the credits! Now, really, who can put a price on that?

I can't speak to the controls and preview options, but it's claiming on the website to be free to play. Also, I don't know if they've announced a release date (I haven't really been following it, but a quick scan of the news releases and items on the website doesn't specify one), but didn't the closed beta only just start? I'm not familiar with this side of development, but it could be in beta for a few months.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Timelord Tom

• RIP Timlord
  • Lieutenant
    • Paragon Radio Gallifrey
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2013, 09:17:17 PM »
Closed Beta has started, and they must be having problems with drop out rate already, as they are constantly "giving away" access codes via Twitter and Facebook.

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2013, 09:24:34 PM »
Usually when they offer big money packs/subs before the game is out it means they are worried they won't make projections for being profitable.

Having tried out a couple of games that are buy to play or free to play means I'll be getting bombarded by in game ads to pay them. Pass

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
  • E-K and Malfaz taking a break, drinking tea
    • www.pauldamonthomas.com
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2013, 09:38:41 PM »
Haha... Man, at a $200 price point for that pack, it makes me wonder what sort of prices they'll be setting for regular purchases of characters and costumes and such.

The game scenario doesn't entice me at all... and the obvious money-grab/collector-mentality potential of this is really unappealing to me.
I was also looking through all the costumes they had listed there on that page and I am rather unimpressed by the selection of characters and by the costume choices for each.

Make mine Paragon!
--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

http://www.pauldamonthomas.com/

MindBlender

• Boss
  • My Main was a healer, wish he was here now.
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2013, 10:42:14 AM »
Hmmm, so send us some money and we will send you a "car".  Might be a Corvette...might be a Chevette, but hey a car is a car.

I am more a FPS player and went so far as to play CoX that way.  The chopper hovering above the action does no appeal to me at all.

I also find that the graphics are more Duke Nukem 3D than I care for.  Our City may have had an old engine, but the graphics were head and shoulders above what I saw in the videos I have seen for Marvel.  To be fair though, I have yet to see if Bethesda can duplicate the quality of Skyrim's graphics in ES Online.
All my computer skill was used up on my Commodore 64 decades ago...

Mazz vs The World

• Lieutenant
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2013, 05:47:11 PM »
Is it just me or does this game look identical to the console based Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1&2??? So they took that game and threw it online hmm.........I smell POOOOO!

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2013, 11:01:49 PM »
Already got a second mail saying, "Thanks for the purchases suckers ... er fans who bought it... the rest of you want to get in on this good thing, don't you?"

Seriously, if I enjoyed the beta I might do it but so far... you haven't even invited me to PLAY it yet!!

jbazzrea1

• Boss
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2013, 11:08:31 PM »
I am seriously so far beyond disappointed with the blatant abuse of the marvel IP to make an MMO under the pretenses that they have used to construct this game...it's unreal...without a serious way of allowing character innovation it's literally a cookie cutter with social aspects...surely a company as wise as Disney is smarter than that by now. 10 years ago maybe...but now? No thanks.

damienray

• Lieutenant
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2013, 11:14:24 PM »
It's Diablo III with different skins..... yawn....

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2013, 04:05:31 PM »
It is my understanding they are shooting for a League of Legends type game, not a City of Heroes or traditional MMO.

Technically a smart move. For one, I heard a lot of complaints form lots of people saying their lack of interest in a DC branded MMO was that they had no interest if they were not able to play the iconic characters. With iconic characters like Superman and Batman around, you had no choice but be a nobody. In CoH, since characters like Statesman are not so iconic, you never feel like a nobody.

Second: With about 32 million active monthly players, League of Legends is, is becoming THE MMO to copy, stripping the crown away from World of Warcraft.

Add to this that the Marvel Universe itself just lends itself perfectly for the action-figure collector model made popular by League of Legends, and it becomes a bit of a no-brainer to go down that path.

Mind you, not justifying the game for anyone here, just justifying the direction. Im sure OTHER players are their target market, not us.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 04:10:35 PM by Starsman »
For the sake of the community: please stop the cultural "research" in your attempt to put blame on the game's cancelation.

It's sickening to see the community sink that low. It's worse to see the community does not get it.

I'm signing off and taking a break, blindly hope things change.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2013, 07:18:06 PM »
This is one of those games that really punctuates the need to reclassify games that are currently called "MMOs."  I will grant that is fits each of the words that make up the acronym.  Even just calling something and MMO, without a suffix like RPG, evokes certain expectations that a Diablo 3 type game simply is not. If it is what the previews and descriptions would seem to indicate, then it is as much like CoH or CO as Diablo 3 is to WoW or GWX.

Personally, I will get into epic, stereotypical, nerd-level discussions/arguments over the comparisons between CoH and CO and DCUO, but I just don't consider this to be worthy of comparison, based on current press. Maybe that's worthy of reassessment once I see it in open beta.

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2013, 07:36:33 PM »
This is one of those games that really punctuates the need to reclassify games that are currently called "MMOs."  I will grant that is fits each of the words that make up the acronym.  Even just calling something and MMO, without a suffix like RPG, evokes certain expectations that a Diablo 3 type game simply is not. If it is what the previews and descriptions would seem to indicate, then it is as much like CoH or CO as Diablo 3 is to WoW or GWX.

Interestingly, I have been disputing with people for ages that Diablo 2 is NOT an MMO, in any way. It seems for ages many players considered anything that is online and has RPG elements to be an MMO.
For the sake of the community: please stop the cultural "research" in your attempt to put blame on the game's cancelation.

It's sickening to see the community sink that low. It's worse to see the community does not get it.

chasearcanum

• Boss
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2013, 08:01:23 PM »
Second: With about 32 million active monthly players, League of Legends is, is becoming THE MMO to copy, stripping the crown away from World of Warcraft.

Agree with most, but one factual inaccuracy there.

There are 32 million accounts registered, not necessarily "monthly players." Many of those can be long since dormant.

Still, they're a powerhouse:  About 12 million accounts access the game each day with a peak concurrency (highest number of users logged on simultaneously ) of 3 million.    about 100 developers working on the game (including server ops teams in that number, apparently)

How that translates into revenue is quite the question, given that its a freemo.   
Granted, its still comparing apples to oranges for the typical subscription-based MMO.  It costs nothing for me to sign up, and I may have 2-3 separate accounts, so number of accounts doesn't mean much for player success.  Peak concurrency is very high, so its a popular game, but how does that translate to revenue?

I'd love to see the average $$ spent per user per month, if anyone's seen that data posted.

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2013, 08:08:56 PM »
Agree with most, but one factual inaccuracy there.

There are 32 million accounts registered, not necessarily "monthly players." Many of those can be long since dormant.

For the record, i got the number from this Gamasutra article:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/179324/League_of_Legends_draws_more_daily_players_than_Zyngas_biggest_hits.php

The article labeled it as "32 monthly active players", not me.

Looking more I found this article at Kotaku that has the full chart:
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/10/the-number-of-people-who-play-league-of-legends-just-blows-my-mind/

It seems to claim they have 70 million "summoner names" (accounts?) registered, 32 million monthly active users and 12 million daily users, among a bunch other stats.

I'd love to see the average $$ spent per user per month, if anyone's seen that data posted.

Has to be rather high for them to have over 100 devs working on the game. Paragon Studios had 80 but they were working on two games (I keep reading 3 in some accounts.)