Author Topic: EVE Online  (Read 31873 times)

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
Re: EVE Online
« Reply #80 on: November 23, 2014, 03:48:56 AM »
There's a cool new EVE trailer with player-submitted voice comms. Gives you a decent overview of the different activities you can do. I've let my sub lapse, but I've kept up on the improvements. Unlimited skill queue? Yes, please!

"This is EVE"

SerialBeggar

• Elite Boss
    • Serial Beggar
« Reply #81 on: December 05, 2014, 02:23:53 PM »
Well, I've played EVE for a week and a half now (thanks to Blondeshell for the buddy invite!) and it hasn't been as bad as its reputation had led me to expect.  I was really apprehensive going in.  Of course, I'm still flying around in the High Security systems doing beginner things. 

The Rookie Help chat channel has been really helpful.  I'd say it is up to COH standards in politeness.  But then again, it is moderated.  The only problem I have with the chat is that you can't stop the scrolling, so it's hard to keep track of what's being said.  One thing I have noticed while monitoring the Rookie chat is that there is a consistent inflow of new players.  Every day, different people are asking questions about the same tutorial missions, which admittedly are vague so their briefings need to be re-read, plus occasionally one needs to psychically to know about using never before mentioned UI controls.  I don't know if this new EVE trailer is the cause.  The game's Launcher shows the count of online players and I see that it ranges from a low of 21K near mid-night EST weekdays to 35K prime time weekends.  (EVE only has one server.)

I've only been shot at once by a player when I ventured out into a medium-ish Sec system to look for an ore for a tutorial mission.  He sent an in-game email that it was an accident by his deployed Drones acting on automatic aggressiveness.  I haven't tried Drones yet, so I don't know if this was BS. 

I've also did a run with a Corp hosting a PvP for Rookies night.  I don't intend to PvP on purpose, but since the game is heavily about PvP, I figured I need to understand how its done here.  They provided a free ship with gear and Skill books (so the gear could be used) to all who participated.  The host gave a brief lecture on targeting, maintaining range and constant movement, scanning a system for ships, fleet communications and movement.  The most important thing I learned that night was renaming my ship so I wasn't labeling myself as fresh off the boat!  After the basics, the 3-4 Corp vets led us up a string of Low Sec systems to hunt.  Unfortunately, it was the night before Thanksgiving so the pickings were slim.

Money-wise, generating steady income through mining is pretty easy.  One of the Tutorials gave me a mining frigate with decent capacity.  Mining the ore that sells for the best price in my region of space nets me about 1 million ISK per 25+ min run.  So none of the beginner ship gear and Skill books are out of reach.  Even replacing a beginner ship is affordable.  I already lost my first mining ship when some NPC pirates blew it up while I wasn't paying attention.

Speaking of ships, after doing the 5 Career Path tutorials, I ended up with 10 free ships of assorted types.  For a casual player who'll spend most of their time in the High Sec systems, I'd say they're pretty set.  The aggressive types who are raring to go into the Low Sec systems will probably hook up with a Corp specializing in whatever play style they're after and the Corp can provide them with aid.  Speaking of Corps, I haven't seen a lot of in-game recruiting SPAM, so that's nice.

Teams are the number one killers of Soloists.

FlyingCarcass

• Elite Boss
« Reply #82 on: December 05, 2014, 11:03:06 PM »
Well, there's a recruitment channel pretty much dedicated to recruitment spam.  :P

Just a heads up, you'll be automatically kicked out of Rookie Help after (I believe) 30 days; I highly recommend joining the regular Help channel after that to continue asking questions and seeing answers to questions you didn't know to ask (there's a lot to learn in EVE).

And aye, the unlimited skill queue is glorious!

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #83 on: December 12, 2014, 04:15:51 AM »
Good to see other CoH folks playing EVE.

If you would like to team up for something PM me here.

SerialBeggar: I think that e-mail was legit, while EVE has it share of griefers out there, they can get busted for griefing a new player. There was some discussion by CSM and the dev team about removing other grief mechanics that new players will get burned by. One popular one is that players in your corporation can freely shoot you. So there can be a problem of someone joining a corp then shooting other corp members or even worse a corp where they grief new members. They are in the works of removing that "feature"

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #84 on: December 19, 2014, 11:59:16 PM »
20 free days of multiple character training as one of the holiday gifts this year.

http://community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/happy-holidays-from-ccp-1/?_ga=1.97821212.2048415055.1394608635

SerialBeggar

• Elite Boss
    • Serial Beggar
« Reply #85 on: December 20, 2014, 01:13:12 AM »
So far, I do not see the benefit of developing an alt on the same account.  The cost of multiple character training using PLEX cost more than just paying for a separate, 2nd account.
Teams are the number one killers of Soloists.

FlyingCarcass

• Elite Boss
« Reply #86 on: December 20, 2014, 04:23:51 AM »
Thanks for the heads up MU, hadn't seen that. I've been training an alt as a purely industrial/trading/PI character (mostly because I initially misunderstood what the additional training queue was, thought it'd let me train two skills at once on my main. whoops!) whereas I've been training combat/exploration skills on my main.

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #87 on: December 20, 2014, 11:54:41 PM »
So far, I do not see the benefit of developing an alt on the same account.  The cost of multiple character training using PLEX cost more than just paying for a separate, 2nd account.

There are reasons for it. Anonymous trading alt in a popular trade station. It means you don't have to be near there to change prices .01 isk or advertising you are the guy undercutting someone else's sales. Unlike CoH, it says who bought and sold the item.

Neutral Hauling Alt: So you can move stuff anonymously.

Other Activity Alt during the weeklong wardec: Yep wardecs happen so have someone else ready to play for a week.

You can also swap characters between accounts or buy them. (Seems weird but people do it all the time in eve) So lets say you bought a miner and its the 2nd character on your account, but you find out you need to train up a few more skills or they changed something and you need to spend some time training a new skill.

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #88 on: May 05, 2015, 05:03:21 AM »
Good call selling the implants Blondeshell. They are giving away the ones you sold for the game's 12th anniversary.

thunderforce

• Elite Boss
« Reply #89 on: May 05, 2015, 03:24:27 PM »
I've only been shot at once by a player when I ventured out into a medium-ish Sec system to look for an ore for a tutorial mission.  He sent an in-game email that it was an accident by his deployed Drones acting on automatic aggressiveness.  I haven't tried Drones yet, so I don't know if this was BS.

Bit of a necro-reply, but "aggressive" drones only counterattack when their owner is attacked - the choices the game calls "aggressive" and "defensive" are actually "defensive" and "passive". So, I don't know if they were lying or confused, but you were misinformed.

Drones are very useful - in particular, nearly all PVE types fly sentry drones in L4 missions.

While Multiple Character Training costs more than a second subscription, the advantage is that you can stop - train up an alt with MCT for a specific skillset, and then it costs you no more in the future to keep them available. For some alts - reprocessing, say - that's best; for others (cyno, scout, etc) you need a second account.

FlyingCarcass

• Elite Boss
« Reply #90 on: August 06, 2015, 08:57:16 AM »
There's a cool new EVE trailer with player-submitted voice comms.

"This is EVE"

I like the fan-made parody of that video:
(warning, 70% profanity, 30% epic screaming)
https://youtu.be/LmS9vcVNr5A
 :P

FlyingCarcass

• Elite Boss
« Reply #91 on: April 21, 2016, 08:07:41 AM »
Heh, so this evening I was scouting out a low sec route in my stealth bomber to make sure there weren't any gate camps (before I moved a new ship I wanted to try out) when I arrived in a particular system with a number of local pirates and a cynosural field up. Out of curiosity, I warped to the cyno to find that a battle had just taken place on a gate and there was a juicy Archon carrier wreck just floating there with a CVA Hyperion  battleship and Phoenix dreadnaught standing sentry. After a moment the pheonix left, leaving the hyperion alone with the wreck.

I realized that someone from CVA would be along soon to loot the wreck... but why should they have the loot, just because they won their battle?  ;) I also realized that the hyperion has a slow lock-on time, so I could easily loot the wreck in my bomber and be off. Like a majestic vulture, I swooped in and liberated about 100 mil in loot (out of around 300 mil, the rest of the loot to survive was firbolg fighters, which I did not have the cargo space for). Of course, the hyperion pilot took umbrage with my actions and called me out in local, so after depositing my spoils I returned to destroy the wreck of the archon and the firbolgs within while the hyperion impotently tried to lock on (I warped off before he could get a lock).

I'm finding the cloaky ninja playstyle to be enjoyable, sneaking around via wormhole connections and pouncing upon unsuspecting targets (mostly explorers). Had a nice kill a few days ago where I spotted someone running sleeper sites in an Eos battlecruiser while a heron frigate looted for him; after waiting for the Eos to warp off I ambushed the heron and took the loot from the site.

It's also quite challenging getting on grid without alerting targets; one has to narrow down where the target will be via d-scan before probing down the likely site (and thus revealing to anyone paying close attention that they're being hunted... gotta' probe quickly before the target notices). Once a player gets spooked it becomes nearly impossible to catch them.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 08:13:17 AM by FlyingCarcass »