Author Topic: A Question On My Mind  (Read 5868 times)

Rigo42

• Minion
A Question On My Mind
« on: December 21, 2012, 08:38:03 AM »
I commonly only come here to browse the Save Paragon City , and the Task Force Hail Mary section,

Anyways, a question on my mind is, even if a company wants to buy City Of Heroes, do we even know if NCSoft is willing to sell?

Thank you for the replies, I shall sit back and hope.

Hopefully NCsoft gets a clue, I wonder how low their stocks will go.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 10:13:38 AM by Rigo42 »
Awaiting the day I can return to my childhood-created hero :)

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
Re: A Question On My Mind
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 09:08:00 AM »
The short answer is "we don't know."

Historically speaking, NCsoft has been extremely loathe to sell or even license the IPs for its previous cancelled games.  It even prevented the Garriots from obtaining Tabula Rasa in the wake of its closure, and we know for a fact they turned down offers to purchase Auto Assault right after it was closed.

This is the reason why Task Force Hail Mary has its name.  It's a shot in the dark; even if we can convince Disney or some other company to approach NCsoft with an overture to purchase CoH, we have no idea whether or not they'd be willing to sell.  We're hoping that whatever company we can get will have sufficient clout that NCsoft will find itself between a rock and a hard place - either sell the IP and rights, or risk pissing off their investors when the investors learn that NCsoft refused a solid offer from such a prestigious company.

NCsoft is on shaky ground financially as it stands.  Their stock price has lost all of the gains it has accrued in the past two years, and is in danger of slipping even further, despite the launch of Guild Wars 2 and Blade & Soul in China.  If we can get a major company with a lot of clout to approach NCsoft, and NCsoft refuses, they'll be in some hot water - after all, they just refused to unload a 'dead-weight' unused IP for what amounts to pure profit.

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 09:48:55 AM »
I concur with Kaiser Tarentula here.

Also, if there is no buyer, there is no question, it certainly won't be sold.
Yeeessss....

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 10:29:24 AM »
Also, keep in mind the Korean Times article, in which the NCSoft spokesperson said no decision had yet been made on the fate of the CoH IP.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 10:58:30 AM »
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 05:34:05 AM »
Wonderfully eloquent and poignant, Ms. Lackey.  :)

Terwyn

• Plan Z: Business/Marketing Lead
  • Elite Boss
    • Missing Worlds
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 05:42:02 AM »
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
- Albert Einstein

http://missingworlds.wordpress.com

Valjean

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 06:13:08 AM »
I don't believe NCsoft would be willing to sell. They've never done so in their history.

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 06:26:40 AM »
They've also never been in such dire straits as they are now, either. We can't discount the possibility.

Terwyn

• Elite Boss
    • Missing Worlds
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 06:47:53 AM »
It seems to me that we are moving from hidden skirmishes and ambush tactics into full-scale open warfare.

Metaphorically speaking, of course.

I am quite sure that a sale is the only saving grace they have left to them.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
- Albert Einstein

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2012, 06:48:15 AM »
I don't believe NCsoft would be willing to sell. They've never done so in their history.

If you don't try, you automatically fail.

Now if that is fine with you, then find another game and enjoy yourself.  I have no interest in raining on your parade.  But please do not come here and issue defeatist statements.  It's like trying to teach a pig to sing.  You waste your time, and piss off the pig.

There are others of us who are not willing to let this go without the fight of NCSoft's life.  And if nothing else, we are changing the way game companies look at their customers.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Terwyn

• Elite Boss
    • Missing Worlds
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2012, 06:49:10 AM »
If you don't try, you automatically fail.

Now if that is fine with you, then find another game and enjoy yourself.  I have no interest in raining on your parade.  But please do not come here and issue defeatist statements.  It's like trying to teach a pig to sing.  You waste your time, and piss off the pig.

There are others of us who are not willing to let this go without the fight of NCSoft's life.  And if nothing else, we are changing the way game companies look at their customers.

Also, the way game companies operate. There'll be more on that later. :)
- Albert Einstein

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2012, 07:04:19 AM »
I know they wont see a reason to sell if we don't give anyone a reason to pay for it.

Three cheers to our new overlords!
Woo! - Argent Girl

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2012, 11:03:14 AM »
I know they wont see a reason to sell if we don't give anyone a reason to pay for it.

Three cheers to our new overlords!

woops, wrong game
Yeeessss....

SARobb

• Boss
  • Rawr.
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2012, 11:34:34 AM »
It's like trying to teach a pig to sing.  You waste your time, and piss off the pig.

*wipes coffee off monitor while muttering something to the effect of needing to clean it anyway*

;D
Stand up for what you beleive in - even if you are standing alone

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2012, 02:36:46 PM »
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2012, 08:54:44 PM »

Certainly the game is rigged. But if you don't play, you can't win.

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2012, 10:32:30 PM »

woops, wrong game

Clearly CoH would need more supply depots anyway.
Woo! - Argent Girl

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2012, 02:28:06 AM »

This is true, but there is always a first time for everything. Maybe not for this IP, this year, this decade, but eventually.  One thing is for certain, it wont change if no one demand a change. Sometimes even demanding a change is no guarantee that those demands will be met but it's not certain they will be ignored or wotn have an effect.

While some will view your statement as defeatist and probably will jump on your case about it and tell you to go enjoy some other game and etc other mean attacking statements, I think it's just a mere fact. They have never sold an IP of a game they killed. We are trying to change that.

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2012, 03:21:40 AM »
And if nothing else, we are changing the way game companies look at their customers.

I think this alone has great value to the future of MMO's, even if efforts get CoH back should ultimately prove fruitless.  I know I don't want to go thru another MMO closure and that this is part of why I'm not enjoying my recent attempts at MMOgaming; well that and I don't find anything even remotely close to what we had in City of Heroes.
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine