Author Topic: To team or not to team?  (Read 24228 times)

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
Re: To team or not to team?
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2012, 10:50:44 PM »

Septipheran

« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2012, 10:57:15 PM »
I was on a Lambda that failed because the teams sweeping the warehouse and labs got super-confused and failed to clear out everything, and I think they screwed up the acid use as well. We ended up being swamped by so many War-Walkers that we couldn't stay alive long enough to defeat marauder. That was not fun.

I was on two Magi's that failed, and after that I just joined the farming runs for it. A single DD which failed, and I was on 4 MoM's, 2 of which failed, and two UG's that failed, and that was frustrating because its a long one. In the second UG, the group stood around for 6 minutes inexplicably before attacking the Avatar of Hami, and we ended up running out of time when we finally engaged.

Things like this happened to me when my main server was Protector- it was a big part of the reason that I switched most of my essential characters to Freedom. I don't think I ever failed anything again, barring maybe a run or two when new trials first came out, and some failed badge runs where the trials themselves generally succeeded.

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2012, 12:25:55 AM »
Things like this happened to me when my main server was Protector- it was a big part of the reason that I switched most of my essential characters to Freedom. I don't think I ever failed anything again, barring maybe a run or two when new trials first came out, and some failed badge runs where the trials themselves generally succeeded.

I don't blame you. Unfortunately the incidents I mentioned all unfolded over the last 2.5 weeks of the game's lifespan, and all happened on Virture.
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

Septipheran

« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2012, 12:30:23 AM »
I don't blame you. Unfortunately the incidents I mentioned all unfolded over the last 2.5 weeks of the game's lifespan, and all happened on Virture.

Hm, I still logged in just about every weekend when Freedom had some semblance of a population after the announcement. The weekend before the shutdown I got consecutive successful BAF, MoM, TPN and MAG runs in. I never spent much time on Virtue so I don't mean to speak with any definitiveness at all, but I always saw it as a very casual, everyone gets a trophy for participation kind of server. Not that there's anything wrong with that attitude, but in my experience it doesn't do a lot to prompt consistent success in game content with a risk of failure.

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2012, 12:34:31 AM »
storied tha twas also available to teams. I think in the entire game there was maybe one or two things that teaming was not allowed. The prae arc where you had to decide which side to take but then how many things and storyline were siolo players locked out of ? Many.

Actually, soloists were able to enjoy the majority of the content without having to team. This has been stated several times in this thread. There were certain types of content that required teaming (which nobody has denied to my knowledge), and you are fixated on that smaller stack of content at the expense of the larger body.

even when flashedback, still, my main point again, is that teaming was rewarded much more than the soloist. Plus there was badges that required teaming like all the TF badges. The rest of these badges that is supposedly a gift to soloist outside the explore badges, were mostly badges that you had to farm anyways and dont see how in any way that is a gift, not to mention didnt add to any stats. COmapred the accolades like TF commander where you had to do TFs to gain, which required a team.

Freedom Phalanx Reserve (+10% Max Health), Portal Jockey (+5% Health +5 Endurance) , and The Atlas Medallion (+5 Max Endurance) were all achievable solo. Sure, it could certainly take more time when it came to the defeat badges needed for some of those, but it could still be done.

If a team wanted to they could easily slow down and enjoy the moment.

Sure, they could. But doing so was the exception, not the rule.

But a solo cant get the rewards of the teaming bonus, or just waltz up to Posi and start the tf or gain incarnate stuff anywhere near the rate of the iTrial teams. Or even solo itrials for that matter.

It is clear that you are fixating on TFs that were clearly not the majority of the available content. Evidently that sort of content, the faster reward-drops, and the faster gain of XP while teaming seems to be something that you feel was more important and thus made you feel pressured. That's your prerogative of course, but its misleading to keep stating that we're wrong for talking about just how remarkably solo-friendly CoX was.

Also, I believe you mentioned running out of contacts in an earlier post. That was indeed annoying... until the Radio missions were introduced, and provided a fix: run a few radios, get a safeguard, succeed at safeguard, get a choice of a new contact.

Anyways sooo what does this scrapperlock mean? Doesnt look like something that can be found in the local dictionary.

Paragon Wiki is there for a reason:

http://wiki.cohtitan.com/wiki/Scrapperlock
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 12:45:58 AM by corvus1970 »
... ^o^CORVUS^o^

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2012, 12:46:16 AM »
Actually, soloists were able to enjoy the majority of the content without having to team. This has been stated several times in this thread. There were certain types of content that required teaming, and you are fixated on that smaller stack of content at the expense of the larger body.

Freedom Phalanx Reserve (+10% Max Health), Portal Jockey (+5% Health +5 Endurance) , and The Atlas Medallion (+5 Max Endurance) were all achievable solo.

Sure, they could. But doing so was the exception, not the rule.

It is clear that you are fixating on TFs that were clearly not the majority of the available content. Evidently that content and the faster gain of XP while teaming seems to be something that you feel was more important. That's your prerogative of course, but its misleading to keep stating that we're wrong for talking about just how remarkably solo-friendly CoX was.

Paragon Wiki is there for a reason:

http://wiki.cohtitan.com/wiki/Scrapperlock

well actualy you chose to fixiate on the TF portion only . As I stated numerous times it's about the rewards differences between solo and teaming with the team content lock out. Tf commander cannot get solo and as I also stated getting that badge alone can take you from level 10-36 easy with a buff on top of that. Solo players are locked out of that. Not to mention the other TFs they are locked out of. Teaming have all the access to the badges and accolades and all of it can be teamed but not all of it can be soloed. And those badges that you mentioned very easy to get when teaming and as I said, when solo you basically had to farm for some of them. And no where in any statement did I said anyone was wrong. This isnt even a wrong or right situation. I'm just stating what I seen and experienced and felt. Nothing more nothing less. There is nothing to be right or wrong about. It's my opinion. Nothing more or less. I mean every little thing isnt about being wrong or right or proving wrong or who's right. Sometimes things should be taken as just opinions and view of others. Nothing more nothing less. Everything doesnt have to turn into or be turned into a wrong or right discussion. You feel that soloist got the best in the world, I feel they got shafted. Who's wrong or right? It isnt about that. It's different opinions

And I do not automatically know that every single word out there is on Paragon wiki or automatically that word in particular is on there or would be available on there. Wouldn't it have been easier to just say the definition instead of having to be snarky about it? Or just posting the link about it would have equally suffice. But you couldn't help yourself could you?

Edit: Let's leave the personal insults out of the discussion.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 06:07:15 PM by eabrace »

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2012, 12:49:44 AM »
Its clear we are never going to agree on the matter of teaming versus soloing, no matter what arguments are made.

I'll save us both the aggravation and simply refrain from addressing your posts on the matter.

And I do not automatically know that every single word out there is on Paragon wiki or automatically that word in particular is on there or would be available on there. Wouldn't it have been easier to just say the definition instead of having to be snarky about it? Or just posting the link would have equally suffice. But you couldn't help yourself could you?

While I'd heard the term before, I wasn't familiar with its meaning. And so I thought "I wonder if its on the wiki?", and sure enough, there it was.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 06:07:49 PM by eabrace »
... ^o^CORVUS^o^

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2012, 12:55:18 AM »
Its clear we are never going to agree on the matter of teaming versus soloing, and I'll not be addressing your posts on the matter any further.

While I'd heard the term before, I wasn't familiar with its meaning. And so I thought "I wonder if its on the wiki?", and sure enough, there it was.

That is perfectly fine with me, because this wasnt even meant to be an agree or attempt to agree on anything. It was that some stated their opinion about something and I stated mine. It shouldnt even had t be turn into a big discussion about my opinion. But I figured well hey, they must be curious about it so I might as well go. But it seems that you in particular want to t turn it into something else, right versus wrong or trying to get someone to agree. Yeah this isnt going anywhere with you and dont wish also to discuss this subject with you any longer. That we can agree on.

And if you had to look it up yourself too, then the snark  wasn't called for. When I hear an unfamiliar term I'm sorry but the first thing that comes to mind is look it up in dictionary not paragon wiki. It wasn't in the dictionary so I asked. If you first go to wiki, that is you and your logic. If you couldnt just posted the link then I would have rather you not even posted that information at all.

Well anyways hope you have a good day.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 06:09:13 PM by eabrace »

Septipheran

« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2012, 01:00:11 AM »
If there was no rewards disparity for soloists there would be no incentive to team... And then COH would've been like Champions.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2012, 01:10:51 AM »
If there was no rewards disparity for soloists there would be no incentive to team... And then COH would've been like Champions.

yeah, more than likely, probably. I always thought people teamed because that is where the greater rewards were and without it there wouldn't be much teaming. Sure some people probably still would do it because that is what they enjoy, and that is the direction that the game seemed to cater to, the teaming with the incentives as without it, really about how much of the population would actually team just for the fun of it?

tigerbaby

• Underling
  • accept NO substitute for HAPPY!
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2012, 01:21:27 AM »
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 06:10:14 PM by eabrace »

Nightmarer

• Boss
  • We all float down here
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2012, 01:22:12 AM »
yeah, more than likely, probably. I always thought people teamed because that is where the greater rewards were and without it there wouldn't be much teaming. Sure some people probably still would do it because that is what they enjoy, and that is the direction that the game seemed to cater to, the teaming with the incentives as without it, really about how much of the population would actually team just for the fun of it?

I personally only teamed for the fun of it (except for Incarnate Trials and certain TF's). Being most my chars Brutes/Scrappers, soloing was fun enough plus I had two accounts so I could PL myself anytime I wished, yet sometimes I felt sociable enough and teamed up just for the heck of it. It also depended to an extent on the AT I was lvling at the moment since some AT's (maybe I should say some powerset combos to be more accurate) were way funnier than others on teams but in any case, main factor to decide whether I teamed or not was my mood.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2012, 01:24:31 AM »
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 06:11:22 PM by eabrace »

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2012, 01:25:33 AM »
I personally only teamed for the fun of it (except for Incarnate Trials and certain TF's). Being most my chars Brutes/Scrappers, soloing was fun enough plus I had two accounts so I could PL myself anytime I wished, yet sometimes I felt sociable enough and teamed up just for the heck of it. It also depended to an extent on the AT I was lvling at the moment since some AT's (maybe I should say some powerset combos to be more accurate) were way funnier than others on teams but in any case, main factor to decide whether I teamed or not was my mood.

Cool stuff.

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2012, 02:08:47 PM »
no. I really never heard of the term scrapperlock. Not sure how other people do it but when I ask a question it means I dont know and interested in knowing the meaning.

And my comment about that you quoted of mine wasn't about the link. It was that statement before it. It came off as a bit condescending as if I was suppose to automatically known that scrapperlock, a word I never heard of ever before was supposed to be defined on paragon wiki.

It's the first two links that come up in google when you search on the term.

Guess some people cant help themselves or stop themselves from being a "male piece"
The irony here is astounding.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2012, 02:12:31 PM »
It's the first two links that come up in google when you search on the term.
The irony here is astounding.
As I said before the first place I went was the dictionary. Second I typed the word into the search engine.
The definition didnt come up for me, especially Paragonwiki with scrapperlock.

Look, it was just a simple question, about a word I never heard of that it seems I'm supposed to be born knowing since it is used very often in everyday speech. If he or anyone else didnt want to answer the damned question just dont. That'll teach me about asking about a word I didnt know especially when it comes to game slang since it's supposed to be common knowledge what every single game term is supposed to mean. I'm not looking to turn this into a big deal because it isnt worth it. Already was irked about the condescending tone or the first answer, and this reaction as if I'm not supposed to ask what a word mean and the assumption that I'm supposed to know what it means, and that paragonwiki came up first thing on my computer which it didnt. I rather just drop it. If a perason cant bother to answer my question without being a dick about it, then it is best to not answer it at all is what I'm getting at. It was too easy to post scrapperlock-(definition) or hell even just the link would have done without coming off as if I "Should have known that it was on paragonwiki". WHen the only difference between us was that he just happned to know that it was on paragonwiki and looked it up. While one, paragonwiki didnt come up in my search engine, two, I havent been on paragonwiki in over 1.5 years so of course I wouldnt think to even look there in the top  5 choices, three I never heard of the word every before in my life so why would have paragonwiki be the first place I look? "Hey never heard of this word, better check paragonwiki." I'm sorry not my line of thinking.

If the case is look up for your self then 99.9% of the questions on this board shouldn't exist since the answer exist online somewhere and they could just easily just look it up. Just like when someone ask me what something means I dont say "That is what a dictionary is for." I just tell them what it means and leave it at that even if I think the word they asking about is supposedly common knowledge as I think that is the nice and most of all respectful thing to do without the added extra "You should know what that means" words and or tone.

I dont see the irony here as I wasnt a "male piece" to him when asking the question. In fact the question wasnt even directed at him but it seemed he couldnt help himself from taking that opportunity to be a "male piece" to me. So where is the irony? That is a rhetorical question. 
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 02:58:07 PM by JaguarX »

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2012, 03:55:21 PM »
I dont see the irony here as I wasnt a "male piece" to him when asking the question. In fact the question wasnt even directed at him but it seemed he couldnt help himself from taking that opportunity to be a "male piece" to me. So where is the irony? That is a rhetorical question. 
I do not think that word means what you think it does.

I would have had him hold the snark and just not even bother posting the link.

If you couldnt just posted the link then I would have rather you not even posted that information at all.

Wouldn't it have been easier to just say the definition instead of having to be snarky about it? Or just posting the link would have equally suffice. But you couldn't help yourself could you?

An example of a rhetorical question: Is someone who resorts to name calling when others don't agree with them a "male piece"? 
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 06:12:42 PM by eabrace »

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2012, 04:04:02 PM »
Please stop with the name calling, directly or indirectly.

Please assume the best. If someone asks a question, assume they honestly don't know how to find the answer. If you wish to tell them how to find the answer for next time, that's fine. But try to do it politely.

Please assume the best. If someone seems to step on your toe, assume they did it accidentally. Plain text doesn't carry tone. What sounds like snark might actually not be.

If someone actually is snarking, please don't let it devolve into a series of back and forth posts that takes a thread off topic.

Please consider the current off-topic conversations in this thread closed and try to steer yourselves back on topic. The topic here is "teaming".

Thank you kindly. :)

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2012, 04:35:56 PM »
Is someone who resorts to name calling when others don't agree with them a "male piece"?

Just seen Sekoria post so I deleted what I said addressing the quote.

I just asked a simple question about a term I never heard of. If asking a question about a term I never heard of is not welcomed here, then I rather just have been told, "Asking about terms you dont know about is not welcomed here." and I would have left it at that and kept that in mind for future reference. Sorry for asking a simple question. My bad.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 06:33:35 PM by JaguarX »

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2012, 06:31:21 PM »
So, is anyone from one of the Plan Z's frequenting this thread?  Would you be able to comment on the team/solo aspects of gameplay that you have planned?