Author Topic: The Secret World/Secret World Legends  (Read 156486 times)

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
Re: The Secret World
« Reply #80 on: January 11, 2013, 08:59:47 PM »
Being max level, in my understanding, was simply to make sure everyone was the same level in PvP (same with GW2) but you still had to go through PvE content to earn the skills/spells/abilities that would make you competitive in PvP.
Not really. For like $10 or $15 (I honestly haven't looked at GW1 or its store in over a year), you can unlock every single skill in the game, including some elite skills (the rest you have to earn), for use in PVP without ever creating a character in the first place.

What is there to do in GW1 when you hit level cap? (Which, by the way, is *20*...takes a couple days for a dedicated person, maybe a month for a less dedicated person.) There is very little actual content in the game that isn't "meant for leveling up to 20", there are very few "dungeons/raids", and there are no "events" (beyond some holiday stuff). All you have at 20 is "leftover leveling content" and PVP. Literally.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #81 on: January 12, 2013, 12:54:13 AM »
Thanks to Google, you can see all the cut scenes without even playing the game.

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #82 on: January 14, 2013, 08:16:38 PM »
Not really. For like $10 or $15 (I honestly haven't looked at GW1 or its store in over a year), you can unlock every single skill in the game, including some elite skills (the rest you have to earn), for use in PVP without ever creating a character in the first place.

Interesting... I always kept hearing people say Arena.net did not "sell power". This sound like selling power.

But I also think this was not there when I played near launch.

What is there to do in GW1 when you hit level cap? (Which, by the way, is *20*...takes a couple days for a dedicated person, maybe a month for a less dedicated person.) There is very little actual content in the game that isn't "meant for leveling up to 20", there are very few "dungeons/raids", and there are no "events" (beyond some holiday stuff). All you have at 20 is "leftover leveling content" and PVP. Literally.

From my point of view? It was a campaign, once I was done with it I was done with the game. Box price was fair for just that, IMO.

I do ponder what it is about MMOs that so many people judge their viability on level caps and repeatable raids and not in content... I mean, I know GW did not have an insanely large amount of content, but given I was not paying monthly fee... well as I noted I felt it was worth the ride.

Reason I kept playing CoH was because of the content, not the cap nor the incarnate advancement. AE added a lot but it got hard to find content after a while, with everyone creating farms... making it hard to find any actual story arcs...

Anyways derailing... my point is, if there is no monthly fee and no significant cash shop, then the game that relies purely on a single up-front sale is very likely going to want to attract new players constantly more so than encouraging old players to keep playing. If that is not what happens, eventually their revenue stream dries up.

For the sake of the community: please stop the cultural "research" in your attempt to put blame on the game's cancelation.

It's sickening to see the community sink that low. It's worse to see the community does not get it.

I'm signing off and taking a break, blindly hope things change.

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #83 on: January 14, 2013, 08:17:01 PM »
Thanks to Google, you can see all the cut scenes without even playing the game.

Where is the fun in that?
For the sake of the community: please stop the cultural "research" in your attempt to put blame on the game's cancelation.

It's sickening to see the community sink that low. It's worse to see the community does not get it.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #84 on: January 14, 2013, 09:43:51 PM »
Interesting... I always kept hearing people say Arena.net did not "sell power". This sound like selling power.

But I also think this was not there when I played near launch.
You can only use these in PVP, and it's fairly simple to get the powers for use in PVP with regular play. It's not selling power, it's selling a shortcut.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #85 on: January 15, 2013, 12:39:51 AM »
Where is the fun in that?

All the entertainment without any of the work?

Sounds the like the American Dream to me.

Spellcaster Hana

• Minion
  • City of Heroes will always and forever be my home.
    • Hana's Deviantart
« Reply #86 on: January 15, 2013, 05:22:28 AM »
I'm playing this on and off. It's nothing compared to COH...heck, nothing compares to COH! I only play it because my brother plays it and there's nothing else to play.

Yeah, tried Champions Online and DCUO...DCUO is passable in some things but Champions? BLECH...
"Sometimes, crossing the line is necessary in order to move forward."
"ALL HAIL EMPEROR COLE!!!" ( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
----------
My Deviantart: http://hanariblue.deviantart.com

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #87 on: January 15, 2013, 04:01:14 PM »
All the entertainment without any of the work?

Sounds the like the American Dream to me.

Work???  :o

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #88 on: January 15, 2013, 09:00:55 PM »
Work???  :o

Would without any effort be better?

clayman54

• Underling
« Reply #89 on: January 20, 2013, 05:32:03 PM »
I don't think much of TSW, it always feels like a grind.

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
« Reply #90 on: January 20, 2013, 09:18:32 PM »
No more free trial now? I hate to be cheap, but I don't want to spend $30 just to try the game.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #91 on: January 21, 2013, 01:54:52 AM »
It isn't always a grind but some of the puzzles are a bit extreme.

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #92 on: January 21, 2013, 02:06:20 AM »
As annoying as they are, I'm finding that I kind of like the puzzle aspect of the game. It does help relieve the grindy feel. The biggest problem with the puzzles are the replay factor. Once you've done them, well...

As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #93 on: January 21, 2013, 09:28:55 AM »
As annoying as they are, I'm finding that I kind of like the puzzle aspect of the game. It does help relieve the grindy feel. The biggest problem with the puzzles are the replay factor. Once you've done them, well...
I have fun trying to see how far I can get with them before I'm forced to call upon Google the Almighty.

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #94 on: January 21, 2013, 09:44:10 PM »

That was something I experienced with DDO. Once you did a dungeon once, there was no surprise the second time.

Dollhouse

• Boss
  • "What will happen? Will I dream?"
« Reply #95 on: January 21, 2013, 11:29:13 PM »
That was something I experienced with DDO. Once you did a dungeon once, there was no surprise the second time.

Definitely the case with Investigation missions...which is why I only resort to online guides when I'm simply completely stonewalled (some of them are very, very challenging). It's okay (and even expected) that the player will use search engines for research (there's a web browser built into the game, in fact), but using a full-on mission guide kind of ruins the fun.

Dungeons in TSW stand up well to repeated runs, although I'd agree that there's less of a  surprise factor after the first handful of runs. The more difficult Elite and Nightmare versions usually introduce some new mechanics compared to their Normal level counterparts...which is not just a surprise, but often a painful one.  :P 

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #96 on: January 24, 2013, 12:09:37 AM »
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #97 on: January 24, 2013, 01:16:53 AM »
Having paid $20, I can say it would be well worth $10.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #98 on: January 24, 2013, 02:26:30 AM »
Of course, that means dealing with Origin. Which would outweigh ten extra dollars for me, if I didn't have the game already anyway.

Risha

• Boss
  • Dancing at the end of the World
« Reply #99 on: February 07, 2013, 08:50:11 PM »
I played several days before work ambushed me, but when thinking about it, I get the feeling of gloom.  I don't think that The Secret World has an optimistic point of view like City of Heroes/Villains did.  It was fun just being there.  People thanked you for helping.  I may head back in, eventually, but I'm not feelin' the love.
Writer of Fantasy and Fantasy Romance