Author Topic: The Secret World/Secret World Legends  (Read 158119 times)

saipaman

• Elite Boss
Re: The Secret World
« Reply #100 on: February 08, 2013, 04:05:38 AM »
I have to say my interest in 'The Secret World' is fading fast.  I haven't played in two weeks.

Dollhouse

• Boss
  • "What will happen? Will I dream?"
« Reply #101 on: February 08, 2013, 04:28:05 AM »
I still enjoy the game a great deal, but I'm not playing as much, either. That's largely because I've done a fairly good job of resisting my usual altitis, and my two primary characters (there's a third, but that one's only played with a pair of RL friends who seldom have gaming time) have exhausted most of the mission content. TSW has a lot of content and is adding it as fast or faster than I've ever seen...but it is less than a year since live release.

I can run dungeons (the game's equivalent of raiding), but a little of that goes a long way for me...I'm not the gear grinding type. The Incarnate System hamster wheel in CoH got on my nerves, too...  The dungeon runs at their higher difficulties are a lot of fun, but I don't want to spoil them by overdoing it. So I log in a bit less these days and wait for Tokyo...

I started playing Fallen Earth again, which remains as immersive as ever (the only MMO to approach TSW in that aspect for me).

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #102 on: February 08, 2013, 09:26:02 AM »
I haven't been on much either, I've completely lost momentum after hitting Transylvania for some reason... and I find myself logging on, accepting a mission and then going "Meh, don't feel like it after all..." and then wandering off to play something else (TOR lately, though I will be trying Neverwinter later today if all goes well)

Megajoule

• Lieutenant
« Reply #103 on: February 12, 2013, 09:47:09 PM »
I've been playing it (not as much as I'd like to - my time is limited, and other things keep getting in the way) and enjoying it.  The setting(s) and stories are good, the characters and voice acting generally excellent, and the mechanics are decent.  The tone is darker than I'm used to, and my first character (an Illuminati agent) is no hero, not by a long shot.  Think redside, or possibly goldside.  I'd recommend it, especially if you can find it on sale.

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #104 on: February 13, 2013, 01:59:27 AM »
Not that it's very cut and dried but the morality of the three factions (at least the NPC's) works out something like this:

Templar: generally good if a bit, well, Templar-ish. So far I've found them to be the least reprehensible to play.

Dragon: Weird and a bit over obsessed with being chessmasters. The most neutral of the factions for a given value of neutral.

Illuminati: Punks. Every single one of them. About the most evil group in the game. well, perhaps not evil as such but very, very, self absorbed. I can see why the templars do not get along with them.

Just my observations.
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #105 on: February 13, 2013, 05:10:45 PM »
I having been trying to like this but the combat is extremely clunky and very borring. In most cases you don't dare face more than one group at a time. If you dare to accidentally pull 2 groups you are dead. I am finding that very annoying.

I went straight magic with choosing so far almost all elemental powers.

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
« Reply #106 on: February 13, 2013, 05:37:55 PM »
I can agree about the clunky feel IW but it does smooth out a bit after you pick up more skills. I've found a fair amount of PBAoE attacks in all of the offensive skills. As far as multiple mobs, thats not too different from most other MMO's. Even in CoH you didn't want to get too far over your head unless you either 1. had taken the time to slot a really good defense or 2. had taken the time to slot really good offense.
Besides, TSW is not supposed to make you feel like Superman (or any other trademarked hero.) I get the feeling that you're supposed to feel a bit out of your depth and not quite sure what's going on. This is a world of secret societies and Lovecraftian happenings and all.

With your choice of all elemental powers (I've built a character the same way) you are very much a Glass Cannon. Great offense but you can get slapped down easily. I'd suggest pairing it off with Chaos which has some good melee attacks and some good evasion defenses, or something like blade which is a wonderful damage dealing set.

Just an opinion, for all it's worth.  ;)

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #107 on: February 14, 2013, 09:05:17 AM »
I can agree about the clunky feel IW but it does smooth out a bit after you pick up more skills. I've found a fair amount of PBAoE attacks in all of the offensive skills.
Yep, definitely - I love my sword animations, they generally flow well.
Of course when I use my pistol attack in between them it sometimes does feel clunky... (especially since the animation doesn't always activate properly)

Dollhouse

• Boss
« Reply #108 on: February 14, 2013, 03:41:11 PM »
It's also a good idea, Ironwolf, to get into the mindset of creating multiple decks. I'm not sure how far along in the content you are, but as you progress, enemies become a lot more "deck dependent." You need to be able to counter what a particular enemy does or exploit a specific weakness...that sort of thing. In addition, your ability, weapon, and talisman load-outs vary depending on whether you're teamed or not (or what your teammates are carrying and how many of them there are). My two more-or-less endgame characters have four or five saved decks each, and even those get tweaked in individual situations (you can one-click revert to the saved baseline deck). What works filling a role on a dungeon team is very different from what you need for solo'ing.

The complexity of the character system and how its zillions of interesting symbioses effect the combat are  some of my favorite things about TSW.  It's a bit of a steep learning curve compared to a more conventional MMO system, but I  think it's worth it.

I find the combat a bit clunky in places, too...but it has some very good points. The need to keep moving and the absence of rooting, obviously, suit my playstyle (although the implementation of optional reticule targeting was really awful...). A lot of the combat animations are truly awful, alas, and the general smoothness of movement and realism of the physics are about average for an MMO (that is, terrible in comparison to CoH), but the overall combat experience is acceptable to me. Not what makes me love the game...but acceptable.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #109 on: February 16, 2013, 01:54:32 AM »

I went straight magic with choosing so far almost all elemental powers.

I've done the very same thing.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #110 on: February 16, 2013, 01:56:34 AM »
Not that it's very cut and dried but the morality of the three factions (at least the NPC's) works out something like this:

Templar: generally good if a bit, well, Templar-ish. So far I've found them to be the least reprehensible to play.

Dragon: Weird and a bit over obsessed with being chessmasters. The most neutral of the factions for a given value of neutral.

Illuminati: Punks. Every single one of them. About the most evil group in the game. well, perhaps not evil as such but very, very, self absorbed. I can see why the templars do not get along with them.

Just my observations.

I see the Templar philosophy being more like this - "We don't just fight evil, we decide what is evil".

Risha

• Boss
  • Dancing at the end of the World
« Reply #111 on: February 16, 2013, 03:43:50 AM »
I immersed for a day or two in December -- when the zombie fest was going and they could show up ANYWHERE, even in safe zones, which made it very tiring.  I haven't figured out how to claim a couple of costume things.  I like the setting, the stories seem okay.  I like a lot of the NPCs...but...what I finally realized is THE BASIC DIFFERENCE BETWEEN TSW and COX.  And that is the world view.

COH had an optimistic world view that ran through the game.  You FELT good when you played a hero.
TSW has an underlying dark and pessimistic world view that pervades the game that doesn't usually match what I want to feel when I play a game...so I was considering buying in before I figured that out, but now...I really don't know of any place to go.

Robin
Writer of Fantasy and Fantasy Romance

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #112 on: February 17, 2013, 06:14:56 PM »
The time that came with my TSW client purchase has expired.  This is a game I won't subscribe to regardless of the player rewards.  On the other hand, I might spend a bit in their shop.

Cobra Man

• Boss
« Reply #113 on: February 18, 2013, 05:20:07 AM »
The time that came with my TSW client purchase has expired.  This is a game I won't subscribe to regardless of the player rewards.  On the other hand, I might spend a bit in their shop.

TSW is free to play.

If you received an email telling you that you're free play time has expired - ignore it.

Just log in and play as normal. That email was an automated system message that wasn't meant to be sent.

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #114 on: February 18, 2013, 08:22:25 AM »
I immersed for a day or two in December -- when the zombie fest was going and they could show up ANYWHERE, even in safe zones, which made it very tiring.  I haven't figured out how to claim a couple of costume things.  I like the setting, the stories seem okay.  I like a lot of the NPCs...but...what I finally realized is THE BASIC DIFFERENCE BETWEEN TSW and COX.  And that is the world view.

COH had an optimistic world view that ran through the game.  You FELT good when you played a hero.
TSW has an underlying dark and pessimistic world view that pervades the game that doesn't usually match what I want to feel when I play a game...so I was considering buying in before I figured that out, but now...I really don't know of any place to go.

Robin
If you like the gameplay, give TERA Online a try - it seems more optimistic storywise. (mind you I haven't seen much of it yet, so I could be completely wrong).
Or Neverwinter when it comes out.

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
« Reply #115 on: February 18, 2013, 05:01:53 PM »
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 05:12:18 PM by JWBullfrog »

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #116 on: February 19, 2013, 09:12:27 AM »
Extra character slots are available through your account management - but you can't buy them with points, they require actual money.
Of course it's entirely possible you already knew that and meant you wanted them added to the store for points, in which case, carry on!

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
« Reply #117 on: February 19, 2013, 01:46:24 PM »
Extra character slots are available through your account management - but you can't buy them with points, they require actual money.
Of course it's entirely possible you already knew that and meant you wanted them added to the store for points, in which case, carry on!

Actually, I did not know that. Account management you say? Hm...... very good tip KS. I shall have to look into that.

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #118 on: February 19, 2013, 02:40:13 PM »

Actually, I did not know that. Account management you say? Hm...... very good tip KS. I shall have to look into that.
Yeah, it requires logging in on the site - it's under account upgrades or a similar category if I'm not mistaken.   ;D

Dollhouse

• Boss
« Reply #119 on: February 19, 2013, 03:50:39 PM »