Author Topic: The Secret World/Secret World Legends  (Read 157752 times)

saipaman

• Elite Boss
Re: The Secret World
« Reply #120 on: February 20, 2013, 12:30:41 AM »
TSW is free to play.

If you received an email telling you that you're free play time has expired - ignore it.

Just log in and play as normal. That email was an automated system message that wasn't meant to be sent.

I bought my box back before the game became F2P.  I think I was two days into my time when they changed over.

I've seen nothing in their veteran's rewards program that would be worth the paying the monthly fee to get.   I'll continue to play but I'm making a definite effort not to become attached to my 'toon'.   I have no intention of having my heart broken again.

DarkCurrent

• Boss
« Reply #121 on: February 20, 2013, 03:50:59 AM »
I don't like the combat system.  Something is off with the power activation times and recharge timers.  The fact that powers become obsolete as you 'level' is a downer and having to constantly feed points into your wheel to unlock more powers gets old fast.

I miss being able to pick a power that works from lvl 1 to lvl 50 and that I can slot any way I want to make it work as effectively as I need it to.

And don't get me started on the crafting system and how their enhancements work.

Storywise, it's a great game.  But mechanically I don't like it.

Dollhouse

• Boss
  • "What will happen? Will I dream?"
« Reply #122 on: February 20, 2013, 03:52:35 PM »
Yeah, DC, I'm a pretty big fan of TSW, and I still can only call the combat system "clunky." I like the lack of rooting and how the enemy mechanics require using that mobility, but the "feel" isn't great. The combination of basic movement/physics (that is, the engine) with twitchy, mediocre animations makes the actual physical gameplay something I tolerate in the game rather than enjoy.

I don't agree about abilities (powers...) becoming obsolete as you spend AP on more of that "slice" of the ability wheel. Some do, some don't. For all weapon types, there are heavy hitters in at least one of the two inner wheel "slices." Not usually the weapons heaviest hitters, but something you'll often find a spot in a deck for. Each weapon's across-the-board +10% Damage passive is always in the inner wheel, for example. A lot of the better resource builders are inner wheel, too. Sometimes the only advantage of an outer wheel attack over its categorical counterparts (that is, builders, consumers, or non-resource) is that it has a secondary effect like an Impair. The enemies that really call for secondary effects tend to come later in the progression. Those for whom they are necessary are mostly found only in Nightmare (and a few) Elite dungeons, Lair regional bosses, etc.

I'm pretty "meh" about the crafting, too. But I generally dislike crafting in games anyway, something I have to deal with (Fallen Earth's genuinely fun system being the exception). I don't really have "enjoy the crafting" on my list of MMO expectations.  I don't mind how the enhancement system works in terms of basic architecture...but the execution needs a lot of fine (and not-so-fine) tuning. And too damn many currencies, a problem CoH came to share, too.  >:(

Still as you say, TSW is all about the story (and immersion, etc.). For me, it works well enough mechanically to be acceptable, but that's not the draw.

Sailboat

• Boss
« Reply #123 on: February 26, 2013, 05:33:13 PM »
I'm playing this now.  I do like the atmosphere; very creepy.  And the way you can just stumble across a quest way out in the wilderness is neat.  And the characters are memorable (I really felt for that Jake guy down in the sewer).

Something about the look and movement of characters in the world harks way, way back in my gaming history -- it feel old, vastly less sophisticated that City of Heroes.  I have a hard time putting my finger on it.

Still baffled by the subtleties of the ability wheel/skill system.  Still adjusting to having only 7 available skills/hotkeys.  Still adjusting to having only a few minor defenses that add a few points of healing or a 5-10% change in one combat stat -- so far I feel SO much weaker than a COH character.

And of course, intensely distressed every time I have to look for a break in a fence line because I cannot leap, fly, teleport, or even hop over small obstacles.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #124 on: February 27, 2013, 12:33:27 AM »
For me, the skill points are what's important.  Ability points not so much once you get a set of powers you like.

Dollhouse

• Boss
« Reply #125 on: March 12, 2013, 02:51:37 PM »
For me, the skill points are what's important.  Ability points not so much once you get a set of powers you like.

Agreed, although Skill Points become moot after you bring every active and passive (plus the talismans and auxiliaries) up to the top. Can't spend any more at that point!

Risha

• Boss
  • Dancing at the end of the World
« Reply #126 on: March 23, 2013, 04:35:08 AM »
All right, I know I paid some $$ for costumes so I guess I'll go look at Account Management somehow.  I am, of course, accustomed to seeing stuff in my inbox.  As for the darkness...I just don't know.  I got so destroyed in December by the zombies, particularly those special ones that just showed up in safe zones.  Nothing but zombies and zombie mutants in the first level, which I barely got out of.  Several times lately I thought I'd go and log in (esp. now I have fiber optic), and I just didn't want to...the only thing I could ascribe that to is the dark feeling.  Might be something else, but I'm not sure.
Writer of Fantasy and Fantasy Romance

Sailboat

• Boss
« Reply #127 on: March 26, 2013, 02:50:40 PM »
Well, I've been making steady progress in the game (just started Egypt last night, freshly kitted out in QL 7 gear) and I do like it.  But it's been shockingly hard to find documentation on anything.  The Wiki has huge holes in it, and when I ask on the forums, the usual answer is some version of "why would anyone want to know the nuts and bolts details?"  I have literally been told not to worry what the skills do, it's easier just to take them.

It's the first game community I've encountered which doesn't seem to care about figuring out the mechanics.  (And a far cry from the Titan Network!)  I'm flabbergasted.

Brightfires

• Elite Boss
  • ... is *NOT* Groot
« Reply #128 on: March 26, 2013, 04:07:16 PM »
FCM and I are also playing Secret World a bit... We're just starting the second section of Egypt with our guys. (He's running a Hammer/Blood dude who's all about damage and I have a Blade/Chaos tank, who's a half-hearted attempt at rebuilding my favorite CoH tank in TSW terms-)

I'm not sure I can say that I like the game. I like PARTS of the game, and I've gotten a little attached to the new version of Palrah in spite of telling myself I wasn't going to... But for every single bit of Secret World I say "Okay, that's cool" about there are three or four things that annoy me, frustrate me or just make me shake my head and wonder who the devil ever thought it would be a Good Idea. And I'm not even to Transylvania yet, where the serious gimmick mobs and the missions *designed* to really annoy and frustrate players seem to be concentrated.

Personally, I highly doubt I'll play the game for much longer. I fully expect to hit a wall with the Egyptian end-boss, and knowing how low my tolerence for gimmick mobs is, I already have zero interest in Transylvania.
Taker of screenshots. Player of bird-things.

Spellcaster Hana

• Minion
  • City of Heroes will always and forever be my home.
    • Hana's Deviantart
« Reply #129 on: March 27, 2013, 03:08:59 AM »
I've tried this game for months and it's cool and all but I find the difficulty of the game too hard with a lot of bugs so I quit temporarily...
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 09:37:09 AM by Spellcaster Hana »
"Sometimes, crossing the line is necessary in order to move forward."
"ALL HAIL EMPEROR COLE!!!" ( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
----------
My Deviantart: http://hanariblue.deviantart.com

Dollhouse

• Boss
« Reply #130 on: March 27, 2013, 05:19:42 AM »
I've tried this game for a months and it's cool and all but I find the difficulty of the game too hard with a lot of bugs so I quit temporarily...

Yeah, TSW is a comparatively difficult game in terms of combat, to be sure. Some Transylvania enemies (Paduri, for example)  have pretty arcane mechanics...and Elite and (especially) Nightmare dungeon bosses have very complex mechanics indeed. I personally really enjoy the dungeon and Lair bosses, as I appreciate the devs trying to make them a huge challenge by way of something other than the "giant sack of hit points" method (Hi, Reichsman!) or "random patch 'o instant death" tomfoolery. But they can be bloody hard...

Moreover, the path out of struggling with later game mobs lies less in just gearing up than it does in discovering the various symbioses and combinations around the ability wheel that make a particular enemy easier to beat. It's deliberately complex...one of the game's attempts at long-term interest in a particular character. I like it a lot...but not for everyone. Heck, I've never been much of a min/max'er or number cruncher, and I had to be dragged kicking and screaming into the additional complexity the Incarnate system introduced in CoH. I'm not sure why I tolerate it more in TSW...might be the feeling like I've stumbled onto some special, secret thing when I find a particularly good symbiosis of abilities (even though I know that it was something deliberately designed).

I wasn't seeing a lot of bugs...until the latest update (Issue 6...). They had to hotfix a few things, patch a couple more. The fact that there are now three games being handled by one dev team becomes evident with that sort of thing. Their QA (never Funcom's strong suit anyway) took a hit.

Taking a semi-break, myself. I've still been playing...but not as much. Played the final Defiance beta over the weekend (very fun...but an MMOTPS, not an MMORPG). Got back into Fallen Earth again. Gaming life goes on...

Risha

• Boss
  • Dancing at the end of the World
« Reply #131 on: April 07, 2013, 05:56:17 AM »
Well, I sat down to load the patch and while I did, hit these forums...so much for the night...and I think I had a lot more fun than playing...sorry, I just miss COH...
Writer of Fantasy and Fantasy Romance

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #132 on: April 23, 2013, 12:17:32 PM »
Just a head's up that Best Buy is clearnacing a bunch of games at 50% off including the Secret World - so now only 14.99 to play forever.  The individual games were not marked, they just had a shelf full of them with a sign (Everett, MA) -- ymmv.  I picked up a copy, but have not set up an account yet.
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

Canine

• Lieutenant
« Reply #133 on: April 23, 2013, 01:02:57 PM »
- so now only 14.99 to play forever.

<twitch>

...yeah, those last two words now have unfortunate connotations to me :(

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #134 on: April 23, 2013, 06:07:06 PM »
Yes, "play forever" simply means "until we tell you it's over".

I haven't played TSW in months.  I guess I should go back and try it again.

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #135 on: April 23, 2013, 09:56:08 PM »
Just a head's up that Best Buy is clearancing a bunch of games at 50% off including the Secret World - so now only 14.99 to play forever.  The individual games were not marked, they just had a shelf full of them with a sign (Everett, MA) -- ymmv.  I picked up a copy, but have not set up an account yet.

I checked my local stores and they don't show anything in stock, but they were eager to tell me about the digital download. I'd guess your store just didn't get around to sending that one back when it went F2P, but it's nice to have a physical copy as a memento sometimes.

Edit: I actually drove to both of the stores tonight to verify what they said over the phone. One store did still have a copy on the shelf, but it was at the original $49.99 price. I think it's quite silly that they rely on their Web site to see what items are in the stores. "If it's not on our Web site, there's no way we would have a copy of it here." Lazy dummies.  :P
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 02:06:02 AM by Blondeshell »

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #136 on: April 25, 2013, 12:38:32 AM »
<twitch>

...yeah, those last two words now have unfortunate connotations to me :(
I was happily paying my subscription to NCsoft for City of Heroes, even after it went hybrid -- until NCsoft decide they didn't want my/our money anymore.  I'm fine going into a new game and only paying the 14.99 once -- my expectations are set and if I get a month out of it, I'll be happy.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #137 on: April 29, 2013, 04:03:06 AM »
So, installed TSW after a several hour download.  Fire it up....create a toon from a relatively small wardrobe and character options, then get to the name screen.  Sweet!  First Name, Nickname, Sur Name....throw it together....what? nickname taken?  Seriously?  You require 3 names, but make the nickname the unique identitfier? 

/e facepalm

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #138 on: April 29, 2013, 05:09:30 AM »
So, installed TSW after a several hour download.  Fire it up....create a toon from a relatively small wardrobe and character options, then get to the name screen.  Sweet!  First Name, Nickname, Sur Name....throw it together....what? nickname taken?  Seriously?  You require 3 names, but make the nickname the unique identitfier? 

/e facepalm
The nickname is what people view you as in the real world and what people invite/PM you with. The First/Surnames are flavor. I don't even have them turned on in my UI options.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Hero of Steel

• Boss
« Reply #139 on: April 29, 2013, 06:05:42 AM »