Author Topic: For any in SW:TOR  (Read 18181 times)

damienray

• Lieutenant
Re: For any in SW:TOR
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2013, 03:47:18 PM »
Does anyone know what the max level difference allowed is for teaming ? Mamma has a 47, and I only have some lowbies. Can I team with her if I can get to her planet/missions ? Is there an "exemp" type mechanic in SWTOR (like the old 5 level diff that CoH had) ?  Thanks for any guidance on this. :)

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2013, 04:17:08 PM »
I don't recall ever actually running into a max level differential when I was running in a group.  There might be one, but it's pretty large if there is.

That being said, if you're high level running with a lowbie, you're not going to be getting any significant amounts of XP.  And if you're a lowbie running with a high level, you're going to get creamed.  SW:ToR has no system similar to sidekicking or exemplaring.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Graphite

• Lieutenant
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2013, 10:07:29 PM »
The Titans of the Old Republic on Ebon Hawk have just recieved a major reboot just in time for the new Hutt Expansion.  We are a family friendly guild with an RP central focus hoping to keep the spirit of Paragon City alive within the realm of Star Wars.  As a City of Heroes Refugee Guild everyone here is more than welcome to join up with us.  Please check out our Facebook Page, new Website, or whisper me in game as Wudan if interested.  Cheers and have fun!

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2013, 12:52:16 AM »
Also:  If I read it correctly, it seems they're doing 2x XP weekends this weekend and each of the next three.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

crayehal

• Minion
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2013, 07:38:10 PM »
Does anyone know what the max level difference allowed is for teaming ?
Any teammate 7 levels or more to your level will affect your XP.  I play 2 accounts and have noticed that the amount of XP the lowbie gets is affected by the difference in levels.  For example:
You (lvl 10) with Player 2 (lvl 16) kill Elite and get 200 XP.
You (lvl 10) with Player 3 (lvl 17) kill Elite and get 160 XP.
You (lvl 10) with Player 4 (lvl 50) kill Elite and get 50 XP.

If you want to play together, you will have to be +/- 6 levels from each other's levels if you are teamed.  I have gotten around this by not being in a team.  My level 50 is not teamed with the lowbie but can 'assist' the lowbie with heals and buffs if the quest is outside.  The 50 can team for heroics that are inside but the the lowbie will get reduced XP for kills.  Before the lowbie turns in the quest, the 50 quits the team to avoid the XP penalty.

As far as I can tell, SWTOR has deliberately designed the game to make players follow a certain progression and not skip content.  The only other way to level up without doing content is to PvP or do flashpoints.

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2013, 09:04:15 PM »
Also:  If I read it correctly, it seems they're doing 2x XP weekends this weekend and each of the next three.

It doesn't make the missions drag any less, but you do ding a lot faster. I took my level-20 Sith Sorceror on Balmorra to 22, then did the last class quest ('into the Pit', a putatively level-19 mission with an annoying elite boss and add spawns that will chew you up if you don't hoard your AoEs), then did the bonus missions, getting 23 and about 3/4 of the way to 24 before departing to Nar Shaddaa. Then I switched to my level-18 Jedi Knight on Taris and got her to 24 and a bit in the middle of the bonus series before hanging it up for the evening Sunday night (play sandwiched in around baking bread). I find, though, that I get a lot more mileage out of characters with Stealth (my 26 Jedi Shadow and 30 Sith Assassin) than I do out of the straightforward 'boom in and start laying down the hurt' classes; I would start an Operative or Scoundrel for the stealth, but I still prefer ranged to melee combat; I'll probably get around to it at some point.

I'm still not particularly happy with the game-balance issues that restrict ranged combat to 30 meters -- except for the extravagant extra 5 meters on snipes (in the face of the dozen people with confirmed sniper kills beyond 1,250 meters), or some of the wierd disconnects in the game:
  • The datacrons scattered across the landscape appear to be molecularly-bonded to where they're sitting, forcing everyone to go through annoying jumping puzzles to get to them, rather than the first person to find one carting it off so no one else can benefit from it (Imperial) or taking it to put someplace where everyone can get to them easily (Republic)
  • Despite being able to leap up to 30 meters to enter combat, Jedi and Sith are unable to jump on top of a 3-meter-tall storage crate. Unless there's an enemy on top of that crate they can leap to attack, in which case they can leap 30 meters up or down without a problem.
  • The skill of climbing is apparently utterly unknown in both the Empire and the Republic, despite some ambushes where the mobs abseil into position around you, allowing the devs to channel your movement by the simple expedient of putting in barriers at least ten feet high. This is one of the biggest letdowns after CoH, which actively removed obstacles to your character getting around zones to poke into odd corners.
  • Line-of-sight handheld energy weapons with the range of a thrown baseball, while fixed-mount weapons appear to have unlimited range.
  • Characters who are active members of their faction's government forces (Trooper/Agent) who nevertheless have to pay for equipment repair out of their own pocket and either pay for new equipment out of their own pocket or scavenge it off the dead bodies of their defeated enemies. And I can understand why a bounty hunter or a smuggler would be wearing gear assembled from a bunch of different sources, but there's a reason they're called "uniforms" -- NPC government personnel wear uniforms, but the PC government personnel wear whatever they can get their hands on.
  • Whether a particular action awards light-side or dark-side points seems capricious at times. In one of the Sith missions on Korriban, for example, you recover the body of a Sith Guardsman's son and bring it back to him; in your conversation, if you admit that he was killed in the entrance of the tomb, before he ever got inside (reaffirming the guardsman's impression of his son), you get dark-side points, while lying to him that his son died bravely (because it might make him a little more well-disposed to you, which could be useful later) earns you light-side points.
And that combines with the various game-mechanics annoyances -- mission levels are hardcoded, the aforementioned lack of any sidekick/exemplar capability (which works to hinder people bringing in friends to start playing the game with them), the ongoing aggravation of people ninja'ing open-world mission goals (or just clearing them, in the case of mobs -- I did the series of missions in Station 5 on Taris that felt like the Great Tsoo Winnowing the day that Icon opened, what with all the dead or missing rakghouls), the limited variability in characters and NPCs (sometimes I think that there are only four or five NPCs of each gender and they just change costumes offstage), the repeated re-use of the same gear models for different equipment (and how the models are class-specific, so that the same piece of gear can look different when you wear it compared to when your companion wears it), the fact that you can't just go back to your ship (in my case, for the GTN kiosk I bought) without having to take off for orbit...  The list goes on.

All that said, the game is still enjoyable, or I'd have stopped playing it some time ago. But each time I log in, I keep running into things that City of Heroes did better, and how much SWTOR sometimes feels, for all the chrome of the setting, like WoW after someone did a global search and replace on all the nouns. And then I look at some of the incidental visual bits, like the rolling terrain or the eddies of windborne dust on Tatooine, and imagine how much the Paragon Studios could have done with it to make a second-generation City of Heroes that much more impressive without losing the things that made it what it was.

damienray

• Lieutenant
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2013, 03:02:07 PM »
TYVM for the info crayehal ... never even dawned on us to try the disband before turning in mission option. At least that takes some of the sting out of reduced XP.  Managed to make a decent amount of leveling over the past weekend.  Still drives us both crazy when we end up leaning on that ole spacebar to get thru mission dialogues we've seen 10+ times.  Not very alt-friendly.  God I miss CoH.

Side note - I SO wish they'd add a darn barber or costume shoppe for facial/hair/body style changes. With all the swapping of armor we do, I can't imagine a shave & a haircut would kill the game... but then again I'm no game coder.

crayehal

• Minion
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2013, 08:39:22 PM »
I find, though, that I get a lot more mileage out of characters with Stealth (my 26 Jedi Shadow and 30 Sith Assassin) than I do out of the straightforward 'boom in and start laying down the hurt' classes
Stealth is especially handy for quests that just require clicking and not killing a boss.  For example, on Belsavis, the Heroic 4; Breakthru can be completed in 3 mins for 22-25k XP just by clicking 3 glowies.  To click a glowie without getting caught:
< mob > [glowie] (( pillar ))  8) <--- you

Be behind an object and zoom out to max.  Then position the cursor on the glowie and slowly inch forward until the hand turns from gray to yellow.  Click glowie.

Villains, recognize this trick?  Yes, it is the same trick as getting the codes in LRSF in the Vindicator base to unlock the door to Ms. Liberty.  CoX skills in SWTOR...  >:3

Amazingly enough, I met some SWTOR vets that didn't know this trick and were quite dumfounded when I showed them.  One of them even said, "Maaan, that makes me want to play my Assassin..."

Even though you don't kill anything, you still get the quest XP which is a good hunk compared to a kill.  For example, 1 minion kill is 200 XP but the quest XP is 20,000. 
If you don't have much play time but want to level fast on a stealth toon, try to do quests where you can click items rather than kill N of something.  Quests that kill N of something take about 15-30 mins while click items can take around 5-10 mins.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2013, 04:57:27 PM »
As far as I can tell, SWTOR has deliberately designed the game to make players follow a certain progression and not skip content.  The only other way to level up without doing content is to PvP or do flashpoints.

This comment and Matt's/Posi's column from last month kind of brought a point into sharp focus for me. What we complain about in most games with regards to scale-ability in missions appears to be a result of the writers and developers on games being a little bit too in love with their own creativity. By forcing players to play "a story," those of us who came up in older games, like CoH, WoW, Everquest, on back, lose interest quickly. Essentially, what we have is Baldur's Gate or Freedom Force (a linear game with limited replay potential) writ large, probably due to a rush to market. Maybe they're sacrificing storytelling to give the game more flash or put in more "mechanical" flexibility.

To my mind, the greatest strength of WoW is the different starting area for each race. Having four different starting areas in SW:TOR gives some incentive to try different "builds," but, with the ability to have two characters per server on a free account, I have no incentive to build more than four characters, on force user and one blaster of each alignment. You essentially have four stories, and that's it. (I've not played this game beyond the mid teens on any of those builds, but it does seem to open up a bit once you leave your starting zone; it's more a general observation of the larger trend)

I know that, whether or not it was explicit, this was a concern in the formation of both Plan Z projects. The only thing I see as a possible way to fight the trend is to do everything we can to make either or both of those projects succeed and hope that the greater industry takes notice.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2013, 04:26:13 AM »
Hmmm...thus far, I've only just created my character. The game, thus far, hasn't suggested I visit the store --which is good. However, I find it odd that a smuggler, that's introduced as being a character with style, can't have a different costume, nor even a different colored one. Did I miss something?
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2013, 05:23:36 AM »
Hmmm...thus far, I've only just created my character. The game, thus far, hasn't suggested I visit the store --which is good. However, I find it odd that a smuggler, that's introduced as being a character with style, can't have a different costume, nor even a different colored one. Did I miss something?
Your character's costume is entirely dependent on the gear you are wearing.  The most you can do is coordinate the colors of all the other pieces with whatever you equip on your body - but that's a feature you have to unlock either through the store of by having at one time or another been a subscriber.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

Graphite

• Lieutenant
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2013, 11:42:21 PM »
Titans of the Old Republic on the Ebon Hawk (RP-PVE East) Server now has Voice over IP (VoIP).  While we are more than a CoH Refugee guild, any and all CoH players are welcome.  A new expansion is coming out, so why not check us out?

http://totor.enjin.com/home

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2013, 06:10:32 AM »
I'm on The Shadowlands server, but rolled a new guy on Harbinger as there seems to be a sizable population there.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 06:18:27 AM by downix »

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2013, 09:57:02 PM »

Everyone in a class gets the same starting gear, and there is not as yet a way to recolor any of your gear  (despite that request coming up again and again in the suggestions forum). There is also a strong thread for "Why can't we have these NPC outfits in game?"

As for not suggesting you visit the store, the constant presence of the Cartel Market icons on the main screen and on your inventory are a nudge in that direction, and the "you can't do that unless you buy the unlock in the Cartel Market" messages if you try to do something that straight-up f2p players can't do, like use the companion customization you get with your first companion, try to equip a piece of purple gear, join a flashpoint or warzone group, etc. are less subtle about it.

Rust

• Elite Boss
  • Oddball
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2013, 01:22:25 PM »
I gave TOR a shot, got up to Level 47 with it, but the more I played it, the more I felt like the game was really marketed wrong.

It's not a MMO at all. Outside Flashpoints and PVP, there's zero reason to group as even the Heroic Quests can be done solo if you save them for the very last thing you do on the Planet. It's a Single Player game with Multiplayer Components and would have been a RPG worthy of the ages if it had simply ditched the MMO trappings and allowed for another companion to join you.

Keep the PVP as a Multiplayer component and boom! You've got the recipe for the newest "Classic" RPG - a story in eight parts with unique decisions to be made in each of them.

But as an MMO? The story structure is nice, but that has to make things difficult for future content because our character class goes through a definitive arc and once that's done it can't be easy to "continue" the story. Customization options seem limited, but once you get into Orange Gear territory that opens up immensely.

I dunno. TOR was a good game, but I feel there's nothing there to justify anything beyond the initial purchase price. The fact F2P and even Premium are relegated to obvious "Second-Class Citizen" status also didn't endear me to it when it went F2P.
All that I'm after is a life filled with laughter

Dollhouse

• Boss
  • "What will happen? Will I dream?"
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2013, 03:03:44 PM »
Jumped in yesterday to hook up with some long-standing (from many years of CoH) friends who have landed there. We've been playing mostly TSW, but some of that crew are taking a time out waiting for more content. I tried to herd them back into Fallen Earth (real targeting, y'see...), but that was too hard a sell, I guess.  ;)

It's not a bad game. Movement physics seem clunky and old-school, and the overall combat system is uninspired, but the writing and cutscenes/voice acting are good (really good if you've never seen TSW). The game captures the feel of the IP quite well. Not sure if I'm going to stick with it (playing TSW, FE, and Defiance...not a lot of gaming time left over for another game), but SWToR isn't the trainwreck some online reviews may have led people to believe.

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2013, 08:20:38 PM »
Just started playing this game again a week or so ago after a few month hiatus, and while it's fun, and I'm enjoying the story driven missions/quests, it's quickly becoming boring playing an MMO by myself... (Was never one for easily making new friends in new games, and the RL friends I started playing with don't seem to play anymore...)

So, is anyone still playing this, or better yet, still playing and on The Ebon Hawk server? Usually playing my (Currently Level 25) Jedi Shadow, named Midrala...

damienray

• Lieutenant
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2013, 11:03:16 PM »
Still on Shadowlands here... anyone have a CoH guild established already ? Or maybe 2 others that want to join w/ Mamma & me to make a guild (hate that u need 4 to start).

crayehal

• Minion
« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2013, 07:33:34 PM »
The Imperial guild on Harbinger is called Pentacle Coalition.  Join the CoH LJ channel at lv 1 if subbed, or at lvl 10 if f2p/preferred:  /cjoin cohlj
Then ask for an invite.  Hopefully, one of the overlords are on.  If not, send mail to Yamamaya and I will try to get in touch with someone who can invite.
If you are interested in Imperial side FPs and OPs on Harbinger, join the United channel:  /cjoin united

@damienray - I have 2 accnts, so if you need help making a guild on Shadow, I can hop over and make it with you.  But since I'm helping run a guild on Harbinger, I won't be able to play my Shadowland alts as much.  Are you Imp or Pub?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 07:45:14 PM by crayehal »

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2013, 08:48:36 PM »
The Imperial guild on Harbinger is called Pentacle Coalition.  Join the CoH LJ channel at lv 1 if subbed, or at lvl 10 if f2p/preferred:  /cjoin cohlj
Then ask for an invite.  Hopefully, one of the overlords are on.  If not, send mail to Yamamaya and I will try to get in touch with someone who can invite.
If you are interested in Imperial side FPs and OPs on Harbinger, join the United channel:  /cjoin united

I'll make a note of this; all my characters are on Harbinger -- tilted from a balance of red/blue when I started a Gunslinger yesterday afternoon after getting the last of my characters off Tatooine in the double-XP flail. Tatooine must not be a popular world; I don't think I saw more than about 50 people per planetary instance for either 2XP weekend, while the fleets -- on the few times I went there -- were always over 150.