Author Topic: For any in SW:TOR  (Read 18182 times)

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
Re: For any in SW:TOR
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2013, 04:55:43 AM »
Also, TOR does have Sprint. You get it at level one with a sub, but F2Pers have to get to level 15 (which I have yet to do).
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2013, 05:10:34 AM »
Also, TOR does have Sprint. You get it at level one with a sub, but F2Pers have to get to level 15 (which I have yet to do).

It used to be like that for subscribers, too. It comes faster than you think it will. :)

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2013, 07:01:25 AM »
You also get 4 quick bars as a former subscriber.
Interesting.  That wasn't the case for me.  I had to unlock the last two in the store.

A lot of these things just went into effect with the patch this week. F2P is a lot more tolerable now for former subscribers.
I don't expect it, but it would be interesting to see if I have credits refunded for anything I had to unlock that is now provided to former subscribers by default.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2013, 08:52:53 AM »
Then there are the various disconnects between the gameworld background and the actual gameplay. All of the jumping puzzles to get to datacrons -- you have Jedi and Sith that can force-leap more than a hundred feet to attack someone, but they can't jump on top of a ten-foot-tall shipping crate? And while it's entirely within character for Sith characters, the premise that Jedi -- espousing an ethos of peace and justice -- advance in level by going out to attack and kill people (preferably with surprise). Or how the Imperial Agent and Trooper classes -- actively in government service -- not only have to pay for their own equipment and its repair out of their own pockets, but pay for it by scavenging off the bodies of the people they kill and selling what they can't use themselves -- and because you're outfitting yourself with what you buy and what you take off your victims, the concept of 'uniform' goes right out the window (which may be acceptable for an undercover agent, but not for active military personnel). And even though the Empire/Republic is too cheap to supply uniforms and gear to its personnel, they've got enough spare starships on hand to give you one of your own -- although you do have to buy fuel for it out of your own pocket.

Even more curiously, the ship my Trooper got has an armory room full of weapons -- none of which she can even pick up, much less use, Also, despite all the room in your ship, if you want to modify your weapon or armor, you have to land somewhere and find a modification station if you don't want to perform a field modification and destroy what you already have slotted in your gear, even though there's plenty of extra space in your ship to have put such a station aboard. You also have to leave your ship to find a terminal to check your email; you can't simply check your email from your ship's comconsole, even though your ship's holoterminal lets you have real-time conversations with someone halfway across the galaxy.

There are just so many 'WTH?' things about SWTOR that I have to shove aside when I'm playing the game that it sometimes feels as if Bioware didn't do much planning when they were designing the game...
You forgot to point out how there are endless amounts of enemies cluttering zones, how the whole world isn't covered completely in corpses from all the mobs the players kill, etc...  ;)
And some of those options, like mail (and auctionhouse) on your ship are available on your ship through the Legacy system unlocks.
Lack of interactivity in the world is a problem that all MMO's share due to technical limitations.
As for Jedi gaining xp from killing people, part of being Jedi is being peacekeepers - it's the whole reason why they train the usage of offensive powers to begin with - while dreaming of a world where everyone can live in peace alongside each other, they are also not naive enough to take a pacifist stance while there are things like the Sith out there (not to mention all the other nasties and entire species that see war as a way of life).
Did Luke go out of his way to ensure not a single Stormtrooper was injured? Anakin? Obi-Wan? Any of the multitude of characters from the SW novels out there?
The reason they don't force a uniform on Agents and Troopers is probably because doing so would likely result in the same backlash that Cryptic/Paragon had to endure with the SoAs and Widows ATs - players screaming that they don't want something crammed down their throats.
I personally haven't played the game since shortly before update 1.3, and I'm perfectly fine with someone not liking it - but bashing the entire thing over things that are very common in all MMO's, including CoH, seems a bit unfair...

What restrictions are on f2p players? I've been getting mixed reports of that. I'm moving into a new house and the budget is a bit tight...

F2P seems rather limiting, but then again, if you played a fresh CoH account (without Paragon rewards) the limits were pretty harsh too - including some rather annoying chat restrictions, no salvage or recipe drops, no IO's whatsoever, no Incarnate stuff...
AFAIK the story content and such is completely free, but you are restricted in how many Warzones (PVP) and Flashpoints (PVE instances) you can do in a week (or in a day?) in addition to some of the other limitations mentioned above like 2 quickbars (which goes up to 4 once you spend 5$ and become a prefered/premium instead of a true freeb).

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2013, 01:48:15 PM »
Interesting.  That wasn't the case for me.  I had to unlock the last two in the store.
I don't expect it, but it would be interesting to see if I have credits refunded for anything I had to unlock that is now provided to former subscribers by default.

It just happened on Monday or Tues. They've been saying for a few months they were going to do do it though, as well as open 6 slots for former subscribers. I'm not sure if they are giving refunds or not, my guess is not and you will just have six instead of four like subscribers get now. Not that anyone needs that many. I have not even been able to fill up 5, even with legacy emotes and stuff.

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2013, 01:51:05 PM »
It just happened on Monday or Tues. They've been saying for a few months they were going to do do it though, as well as open 6 slots for former subscribers. I'm not sure if they are giving refunds or not, my guess is not and you will just have six instead of four like subscribers get now. Not that anyone needs that many. I have not even been able to fill up 5, even with legacy emotes and stuff.
That would be my guess too, or their system could be glitchy and you have to petition it =/
It's nice to see they are actually improving the F2P system based on feedback though.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2013, 05:42:47 PM »
It used to be like that for subscribers, too. It comes faster than you think it will. :)

I'm pretty sure it would come faster if I played the game more and didn't delete characters after a few levels to try a different "build." :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

dreadshinobi

• Underling
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2013, 06:04:53 PM »
I ended up playing SWTOR. I was originally going to go there when it released with my raiding guild from Rift, but I opted out of it. Then I heard about it going f2p and I had a few friends still playing it and I joined up with them on the Shadowlands server.

I was originally only going to play the game because it was f2p and my friends were there (minimal interest in the game or genre itself), but the f2p model is by far the most restrictive f2p model I have ever seen, to the point where I would call it unplayable.

The big things for me were:
-Starting at lvl 10 your xp gets absolutely gutted. You get about half as much as you would normally and you dont get any rested xp. If you wanted to level with a friend that was subbed it would be impossible
-You can only do 5 pvp matches and 3 space missions per WEEK.
-You don't get sprint until lvl 15 and speeders until lvl 25, this further guts your leveling speed and enjoyment of the game (theres alot of running around)

And also not related to being f2p,
-the game has nearly no character customization. Especially when it comes to your gear.
-pvp is horribly balanced. Crowd Control abilities are essentially I-win buttons because the only defense against them is a 2 min cd which doesnt offer a period of immunity (meaning if you get CC'd then pop your "break free" you can get CC'd again immediately after)
-Combat uses a global cooldown system which can make combat flow horribly for some classes with long gaps in between attacks.

Really, I could go on. It's a pretty terrible game, and even worse if you're f2p. Regardless I got a 2 month sub so I could play with my friends, but I will definitely be done with it by the time that is up.

Septipheran

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2013, 08:02:40 AM »
I ended up playing SWTOR. I was originally going to go there when it released with my raiding guild from Rift, but I opted out of it. Then I heard about it going f2p and I had a few friends still playing it and I joined up with them on the Shadowlands server.

I was originally only going to play the game because it was f2p and my friends were there (minimal interest in the game or genre itself), but the f2p model is by far the most restrictive f2p model I have ever seen, to the point where I would call it unplayable.

The big things for me were:
-Starting at lvl 10 your xp gets absolutely gutted. You get about half as much as you would normally and you dont get any rested xp. If you wanted to level with a friend that was subbed it would be impossible
-You can only do 5 pvp matches and 3 space missions per WEEK.
-You don't get sprint until lvl 15 and speeders until lvl 25, this further guts your leveling speed and enjoyment of the game (theres alot of running around)

And also not related to being f2p,
-the game has nearly no character customization. Especially when it comes to your gear.
-pvp is horribly balanced. Crowd Control abilities are essentially I-win buttons because the only defense against them is a 2 min cd which doesnt offer a period of immunity (meaning if you get CC'd then pop your "break free" you can get CC'd again immediately after)
-Combat uses a global cooldown system which can make combat flow horribly for some classes with long gaps in between attacks.

Really, I could go on. It's a pretty terrible game, and even worse if you're f2p. Regardless I got a 2 month sub so I could play with my friends, but I will definitely be done with it by the time that is up.

I've been playing SWTOR as a free to play'r regularly for about a month. So far I have a level 29 Sith Juggernaut and a level 25 Jedi Sage. I agree that the game isn't perfect, but the F2P restrictions have really been sensationalized by some disgruntled gamers imo. I wanted to clear a few things up.

No sprint until level 15 isn't as bad as it sounds. There are unlockable speeders that will take you between "neighborhoods" of zones. It's a little annoying, especially at first if you're used to ChO/COH travel speeds, but you get used to it after a week or so.

You can't get a speeder until level 25, but it really doesn't take that long to get there. It reminds me of "no travel powers until 14" or whatever it used to be in COH, just timed slightly differently.

No customizing your appearance... This just isn't true. The game has tons of "orange" gear with no real base stats, so you can wear what you want and use mods to properly enhance your character. My Jedi Sage has been my favorite character... He's supposed to wear a bath robe and a dunce cap. Thanks to orange gear, I have him wearing normal Jedi clothes and a very discreet headband that's mostly covered by his hair. You can even customize the color of your lightsaber, along with its combat attributes.

The XP nerf. This is another thing that's annoying at first, especially if you played the KOTOR games. You know how in KOTOR, you could skip all the side quests if you wanted and not fall behind the main quest line? Well in SWTOR, the side quests are kind of mandatory. If you do all the quests on every planet, excluding the heroics, you should be able to stay within at least 1-2 levels of your main quest at all times, which makes it completely doable.\

If for some reason you fall too far behind and all your quests are more than 2 levels higher than you, que up and do some flashpoints. They're fun, the community is generally cooperative and good to play with and the XP is decent too. Don't forget to go back to your fleet to turn in the [group] quest after you finish a flashpoint though- you will get extra XP for doing so.

The limit on the space missions isn't something that I really find troublesome. They're really novelty rail shooters anyways... I think 3 a week is about my fill before I get bored with them, so it works out well for me. I'm not a big PVPer so even if I had access to more warzones I more than likely wouldn't take advantage of it.

There is, however, one EXTREMELY TERRIBLE thing about SWTOR's free to play. Possibly the worst F2P restriction I've ever seen: You're limited to two power trays. This is ridiculously annoying, since there are a lot of powers in this game. If you spend a few dollars, you get 2 more trays forever, so I'm probably going to do that soon.

It's also pretty unnecessarily vindictive that they increase the vendor prices for F2P players, but meh.

MindBlender

• Boss
  • My Main was a healer, wish he was here now.
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2013, 10:17:44 AM »
A quick note on credits through in game email... My son has a sub for the game (he was a CoXer) and he was able to send credits TO friends that were f2p. He also stated that he was able to start racking up credits once he got past level 15, got a ship and went space cowboy. 
All my computer skill was used up on my Commodore 64 decades ago...

jbazzrea1

• Boss
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2013, 08:20:42 PM »
Also...for f2p players....you can buy 1-3 hour 25% XP boosts through the gtn.

Pvp if you don't mind it also gives good XP...though I would recommend a sub if you're going to get into that very far because most pvp gear worth anything is artifact grade.

Edit: LOL @ bath robe and dunce cap...I know exactly what you mean...I had to find some gear that looked decent for my consular shadow!!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 02:28:28 AM by jbazzrea1 »

crayehal

• Minion
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2013, 05:05:14 AM »
Here are some notes for F2P players and money-making based on my play time.  So far, I made the most money selling crafting materials and mods on the GTN (market). 

At level 25, it costs 35,000c to learn the speeder skill and at least 10,000c for a speeder.
At level 30, it costs 150,000c to learn speeder skill 2.

Crafting Materials
F2P are limited to 1 crew skill, so I suggest taking scavenging.  There are a lot of scavenge piles on the map and you can scavenge from defeated droids as well, even those someone else defeated.  With 2 GTN slots, I earn an average of 30k a day from sales and sometimes as high as 75k on a weekend. 

Item Modifications
Sometimes Heroics reward purple colored gear, an item mod or a piece of gear with mods.  I suggest selecting the reward in this order:
1) Purple colored gear - F2P can't use it without buying the authorization.  However, it can sell for a lot on GTN
2) Gear with mods - if you can't use the gear, you can take the mods off for use in other gear. 
3) Item mod - if you can't use it, sell on GTN

Getting to the GTN
Republic:
Coruscant, Senate Commercial District, beneath the Senate Plaza, along the back.
Fleet, Carrick Station, quadrant labelled Galactic Trade Market, along inside wall

Empire:
Dromund Kaas, east and upstairs from main city square.
Fleet, Vaiken Spacedock, quadrant labelled Galactic Trade Market, along inside wall

Neutral:
Nar Shaddaa, Lower Promenade, two sets of kiosks on opposite sides of the area near faction trainers.
Tattooine, Outlaws' Den (PvP area) between Jundland and the Dune Sea

Another trick is to use the shuttle for a flashpoint.  This saves time running to your ship and loading times.  For Empire:
Balmorra, Gorinth outpost->Imperial fleet
Tattoine, Outpost Varath->Imperial fleet

Warning:
F2P is limited to 200,000c and 20 commendations.  Before you claim credits from mail or accept commendations, check your balance.  You may keep 1 reward option pending, but you may be blocked from completing a Heroic until you claim your reward from a previous Heroic.

I "store" money on an alt by having the alt put a medpac for sale at 50,000c and then my main buys it from the alt.  The money is kept in the alt's mail.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 07:21:28 AM by crayehal »

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2013, 06:19:04 AM »
I suggest taking scavenging.  There are a lot of scavenge piles on the map and you can scavenge from defeated droids as well, even those someone else defeated.  With 2 GTN slots, I earn an average of 30k a day from sales and sometimes as high as 75k on a weekend. 
I would also highly recommend Slicing and Treasure Hunting.  Unlike other skills, Slicing and Treasure Hunting provide you with the option to send your crew members off to find Lockboxes.  When they return with the Lockbox, you open it and receive credits.  No materials to sell at all.  And Slicing allows you to retrieve Lockboxes from the game environment.  Again, no materials to deal with, just pure credits.

My Sentinel has been living purely off of Slicing since before F2P and she's never had an issue with being short on cash.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

crayehal

• Minion
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2013, 07:43:29 AM »
send your crew members off to find Lockboxes. 
I thought Lockboxes were pay to open (with cartel coins) for F2P?  If that is the case, and without access to the lockbox, the cost of sending out a member may end up about the same as the leftover reward, so it is not as useful. 

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2013, 10:54:17 AM »
I think it's also worth noting that the more you get CCed, the more resistance you build up to it (you see it as a small, grey/white bar above people's heads) - if it gets filled completely they become completely immune to CC until it goes down again.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2013, 11:25:15 AM »
I thought Lockboxes were pay to open (with cartel coins) for F2P?  If that is the case, and without access to the lockbox, the cost of sending out a member may end up about the same as the leftover reward, so it is not as useful.
Quest reward lockboxes (the ones that contain random gear) are inaccessible without spending points if you're F2P.  I've had no issues with the ones you obtain through crew skills.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2013, 01:41:01 PM »
Quest reward lockboxes (the ones that contain random gear) are inaccessible without spending points if you're F2P.  I've had no issues with the ones you obtain through crew skills.
Yep, tried and confirmed this too.

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2013, 02:36:15 PM »
Careful with trying to make money with the gtn on a free account. You WILL bump the currency cap. Odds are you will bump it  lot without trying. So unless you're spending, too, I don't advise it. You can get crew skills unlocks on the gtn. I want to think that the per character one was under the currency cap for f2p or at least preferred. The account wide one was not.

jbazzrea1

• Boss
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2013, 04:05:24 PM »
The speeder piloting costs are what they used to be for subscribers. Now SP 1&2 are MUCH cheaper for subs but SP 3 is still 125k credits or whatever...

Back Blast

• Minion
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2013, 09:45:22 PM »
I'm on Harbinger but hooked up with a guild from the CoH Livejournal community. When I finally get around to making an alt, perhaps I'll look you up.