Author Topic: Age Group (POLL RESTARTED 12/9 - PLEASE VOTE AGAIN!)  (Read 23441 times)

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
Re: Age Group
« Reply #80 on: December 08, 2012, 05:34:30 AM »
That's true too. It's depressing logging on Steam and seeing all my old friends already finding themselves at home in a new game. But I don't harbor ill will toward them for it. We all cope in our own ways, and far be it from me to tell them what to do with their time.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #81 on: December 08, 2012, 07:29:38 AM »
Is it just me or are the polls look like Stairs?

That's to keep the NPCs from being able to climb them.

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #82 on: December 08, 2012, 07:34:57 AM »
That's to keep the NPCs from being able to climb them.

Won't that be hard for all these old folks too?
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #83 on: December 08, 2012, 07:50:27 AM »

Yes, dear.  But I have my walking stick (shillelagh) around here somewhere, and think I can still clamber up them.  And ROFL, Triplash on your Abraham Lincoln quote!  You've inspired me to add my favorite quote as my signature line.
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #84 on: December 08, 2012, 08:47:09 AM »

Nah, see, players can climb stairs just fine. It's only NPCs that have trouble with them. :P

And ROFL, Triplash on your Abraham Lincoln quote!  You've inspired me to add my favorite quote as my signature line.

Lincoln was a smart man. Very forward thinker.

And I love that line from Gandhi! It's excellent advice to live by :)

DemonCaller

• Underling
« Reply #85 on: December 08, 2012, 03:51:06 PM »
I'm 55. Old enough to know better than to play an MMO....

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #86 on: December 08, 2012, 05:34:27 PM »
That's true too. It's depressing logging on Steam and seeing all my old friends already finding themselves at home in a new game. But I don't harbor ill will toward them for it. We all cope in our own ways, and far be it from me to tell them what to do with their time.

This was hardest for me in the post announcement pre sunset period.

Most of my SG, friends, etc, pretty much stopped logging in. I tried to soak up as much time as I could, which turned out to be fairly depressing given that the city grew emptier and emptier.

But there's no point in taking that out on anyone, as you said :)
Woo! - Argent Girl

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #87 on: December 08, 2012, 05:42:13 PM »
I'm 55. Old enough to know better than to play an MMO....

I assume you mean "another" MMO.
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

Aethon

• Underling
« Reply #88 on: December 08, 2012, 05:52:45 PM »
39 - though, every now and then, I have to do the odd mental calculation to check if that's correct.

Ad_Astra

• Lieutenant
« Reply #89 on: December 08, 2012, 06:04:07 PM »
I posted this concept in the FB thread -

Observing the general trend that City of players are older (with a plurality in the 45 - 60ish range):

Perhaps there was something about the game play controls of City that was a bit more forgiving of our not-so-l33t gaming skillz. I have always appreciated the lack of "twitch" needed to target. Personally, I know that video games were something that I saw my slightly younger (5 or 6 years younger) siblings playing, but other than a few games of Pong, I wasn't part of it. I was way too mature to want to play a video game. So I never learned those basic video gaming skills - hand me the average controller for a gaming console and I'm all thumbs, and not in a good way.

OTOH, I can also remember comic book discussions - generally about characters that had personalities that were as much a part of them as their superpowers. And I came to Paragon City to make those characters. I'm still a huge Legion of Superheroes fan, which at that point in time was "90210" with superpowers.

Just a couple of thoughts to put out there. They may also have something to do with the number of older FEMALE players we had (I'm one of them). I know that my general unfamiliarity with how video games "work" was something that had me holding back from subbing early on.

Glass Goblin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #90 on: December 08, 2012, 08:48:44 PM »
Perhaps there was something about the game play controls of City that was a bit more forgiving of our not-so-l33t gaming skillz. I have always appreciated the lack of "twitch" needed to target.

I've seen several people who have noted this, and I agree. My motor control isn't always the best, so targeting with the Tab key rocked hard. Some of gthe games people ahve suggested I try out, however, have combat that is twitch-driven, so I've not bothered to install the clients.

Our demographic can't be that small: people who want more action than Farmville, but less twitchy than a FPS. I wonder if any studios and/or publishers will pick up on it?

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #91 on: December 08, 2012, 09:53:35 PM »
It'll be odd if they don't: After all, the older demographic is growing every day.

I know companies like to pretend that only 18-24 year olds matter though, so I wouild not be surprised to see them NOT address it. After all, sane business decisions are few and far between.

Clave Dark 5

• Elite Boss
« Reply #92 on: December 09, 2012, 02:12:04 PM »
I posted this concept in the FB thread -

Observing the general trend that City of players are older (with a plurality in the 45 - 60ish range):

Perhaps there was something about the game play controls of City that was a bit more forgiving of our not-so-l33t gaming skillz. I have always appreciated the lack of "twitch" needed to target.

I was in high school when video games ate quarters and became a real thing back in the 80s and I gave up playing them after a few months because I didn't like "twitch" gaming from day one.  I've never come round to that form of gaming and still have no interest to do so now.
"What you say is rather profound, and probably erroneous." - Joseph Conrad

YourDemise

• Underling
« Reply #93 on: December 09, 2012, 02:50:38 PM »
I'm 17 now but started when i was 13 because my brother used to play it 24/7 he taught me about everything in it an his old SG helped me out quite alot, but not surprisingly i don't think i met anyone my age heheh. I was surprised i could even play it!  :P

thunderforce

• Elite Boss
« Reply #94 on: December 09, 2012, 03:10:05 PM »
I notice whoever did the poll didn't really get quite the right categories. :-)

37 here. Games for me started around Elite, 1984. I'm averse to twitch gaming in something like a spot of first-person shooting - but I don't think it mixes well with network lag to servers in another country. For most of my City of X time I used a keyboard-only control set which was head and shoulders above the default for characters who often wanted to select and use powers on teammates.

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #95 on: December 09, 2012, 06:15:10 PM »
um....I'm just going to say my age is above 40  :-X

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #96 on: December 09, 2012, 07:36:27 PM »
OK, because there is an obviously large number of City players above the age of 45, it's better to do a little more granular polling. I have reset the poll to zero votes. Please vote again!

Before resetting, the tallies here:

>18: 3
18-25: 11
26-35: 26
36-45: 37
45+: 45
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Cobra Man

• Boss
Re: Age Group (POLL RESTARTED 12/9 - PLEASE VOTE AGAIN!)
« Reply #97 on: December 09, 2012, 08:44:00 PM »
I'm 47 (48 shortly), although I have a mental age in my mid 20's  8)

I miss CoH .....

avelworldcreator

• Elite Boss
  • Missing Worlds Media co-founder/senior developer.
    • Basketcase Software
« Reply #98 on: December 09, 2012, 08:56:42 PM »
Why was the poll restarted?

Edit: Oops. Missed that earlier post. :O
Missing World Media primary co-founder, senior developer, UI/UX acting lead, and software toolsmith.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #99 on: December 09, 2012, 09:02:20 PM »
Voted again. Sadly, I didn't get any younger.