Author Topic: Mainpage slashdot!  (Read 5650 times)

cforciea

• Underling
Mainpage slashdot!
« on: December 05, 2012, 08:30:44 PM »

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
Re: Mainpage slashdot!
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 08:45:20 PM »
I may or may not have had something to do with that.

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 08:50:28 PM »
I won't repeat my image response here. I shall only say...

BOOYAH!
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 09:17:52 PM »
This is - by far - my favorite comment so far there:

"They said that it's a strategic decision. No one said it was a good strategy."

Indeed...  ;)

Treees

• Underling
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 09:21:06 PM »
The comments are kinda...not so great, so it'd be nice for all of us to help with that issue x:

V-Mink

• Lieutenant
  • Greenside
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 09:21:49 PM »
A fair warning: This is, after all, slashdot, where cynicism, jaded commentary, and the jaundiced eye are almost de rigueur.  Expect more than a few comments that could be interpreted as unicorn-like.  It's good that we slammed into Slashdot, but be aware the commentariat may not be terribly sympathetic.

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 09:26:07 PM »
Well, I handle slashdot the same way I handle yahoo news articles: I typically avoid the comments that follow to retain something resembling a tiny nugget of faith in humanity.
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 09:47:51 PM »
A fair warning: This is, after all, slashdot, where cynicism, jaded commentary, and the jaundiced eye are almost de rigueur.  Expect more than a few comments that could be interpreted as unicorn-like.  It's good that we slammed into Slashdot, but be aware the commentariat may not be terribly sympathetic.

They're actually pretty good so far.  Only one or two that are outright negative, and several good replies to them.  Most are currently along the lines of, "Yeah, that's a shame...", and I'm okay with that.

P51mus

• Boss
  • aka Pitho
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 09:57:03 PM »
Well, I handle slashdot the same way I handle yahoo news articles: I typically avoid the comments that follow to retain something resembling a tiny nugget of faith in humanity.

I posted on slashdot for a little bit.  Got +1 to my status from a good comment.  Then I got -2 for telling someone a racist or sexist joke was in bad taste, and all of a sudden my posts defaulted to people not being able to see them without clicking.  Then I stopped looking at slashdot.

Still, nice to hear the story's made slashdot.

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 10:04:48 PM »
i use slashdot as my home page when i first open my browser so i can do a quick scan to see what kind of news is about with the real world lol

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 10:07:31 PM »
They're actually pretty good so far.  Only one or two that are outright negative, and several good replies to them.  Most are currently along the lines of, "Yeah, that's a shame...", and I'm okay with that.

Even if they weren't, I think it's assumed by the global internet community that comment sections on anything are cesspits and you only view them to view the ideas of those most or least opinionated in something. There's no middle ground, because those people only kinda opinionated are gonna be like "Eh, I got things to do".

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 10:12:12 PM »
Even if they weren't, I think it's assumed by the global internet community that comment sections on anything are cesspits and you only view them to view the ideas of those most or least opinionated in something. There's no middle ground, because those people only kinda opinionated are gonna be like "Eh, I got things to do".

this is how i view it, however from an outside perspective a lot of comments means that this is a "hot topic" and thus would attract media attention (i dont know if they actually look and see what the comments are, or if they just see the # of total comments)

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 10:17:39 PM »
Live or die on this day. Live or die on this day.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 10:33:04 PM »
As far as the comments are concerned, they look like a real pain to navigate.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 10:39:42 PM »
I'm in the "There's no such thing as bad press" camp on this one. It's exposure, and it's a LOT of it! And, though there are fantastical equines and sub-bridge dwellers, Tony's right: the majority of the comments are at least sympathetic.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2012, 12:17:39 AM »
Well done... whoever... submitted this. The hits just keep coming.

Yoru-hime

• Minion
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2012, 12:23:43 AM »
It's very strange to see CoH in my Slashdot RSS feed. Strange and awesome. By Slashdot standards, the reception for it definitely isn't bad at all.

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 12:25:27 AM »
I used to read Slashdot every day, but I got sick of the negativity in the comments. Seeing us there is very awesome feeling :D
Woo! - Argent Girl

Lucretia MacEvil

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 12:37:58 AM »
I'm in the "There's no such thing as bad press" camp on this one. It's exposure, and it's a LOT of it! And, though there are fantastical equines and sub-bridge dwellers, Tony's right: the majority of the comments are at least sympathetic.

I agree that this is good exposure for us, and that the sympathetic comments prove that.

As for the saying "there's no such thing as bad press".... I thought our campaign to point out NCsoft's faults was helping to drive their stock down....

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 12:49:58 AM »
I agree that this is good exposure for us, and that the sympathetic comments prove that.

As for the saying "there's no such thing as bad press".... I thought our campaign to point out NCsoft's faults was helping to drive their stock down....

Curse you and your logic!  :P
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."