Author Topic: Mainpage slashdot!  (Read 5649 times)

cforciea

• Underling
Mainpage slashdot!
« on: December 05, 2012, 08:30:44 PM »

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
Re: Mainpage slashdot!
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 08:45:20 PM »
I may or may not have had something to do with that.

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 08:50:28 PM »
I won't repeat my image response here. I shall only say...

BOOYAH!
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 09:17:52 PM »
This is - by far - my favorite comment so far there:

"They said that it's a strategic decision. No one said it was a good strategy."

Indeed...  ;)

Treees

• Underling
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 09:21:06 PM »
The comments are kinda...not so great, so it'd be nice for all of us to help with that issue x:

V-Mink

• Lieutenant
  • Greenside
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 09:21:49 PM »
A fair warning: This is, after all, slashdot, where cynicism, jaded commentary, and the jaundiced eye are almost de rigueur.  Expect more than a few comments that could be interpreted as unicorn-like.  It's good that we slammed into Slashdot, but be aware the commentariat may not be terribly sympathetic.

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 09:26:07 PM »
Well, I handle slashdot the same way I handle yahoo news articles: I typically avoid the comments that follow to retain something resembling a tiny nugget of faith in humanity.
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 09:47:51 PM »
A fair warning: This is, after all, slashdot, where cynicism, jaded commentary, and the jaundiced eye are almost de rigueur.  Expect more than a few comments that could be interpreted as unicorn-like.  It's good that we slammed into Slashdot, but be aware the commentariat may not be terribly sympathetic.

They're actually pretty good so far.  Only one or two that are outright negative, and several good replies to them.  Most are currently along the lines of, "Yeah, that's a shame...", and I'm okay with that.

P51mus

• Boss
  • aka Pitho
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 09:57:03 PM »
Well, I handle slashdot the same way I handle yahoo news articles: I typically avoid the comments that follow to retain something resembling a tiny nugget of faith in humanity.

I posted on slashdot for a little bit.  Got +1 to my status from a good comment.  Then I got -2 for telling someone a racist or sexist joke was in bad taste, and all of a sudden my posts defaulted to people not being able to see them without clicking.  Then I stopped looking at slashdot.

Still, nice to hear the story's made slashdot.

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 10:04:48 PM »
i use slashdot as my home page when i first open my browser so i can do a quick scan to see what kind of news is about with the real world lol

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 10:07:31 PM »
They're actually pretty good so far.  Only one or two that are outright negative, and several good replies to them.  Most are currently along the lines of, "Yeah, that's a shame...", and I'm okay with that.

Even if they weren't, I think it's assumed by the global internet community that comment sections on anything are cesspits and you only view them to view the ideas of those most or least opinionated in something. There's no middle ground, because those people only kinda opinionated are gonna be like "Eh, I got things to do".

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 10:12:12 PM »
Even if they weren't, I think it's assumed by the global internet community that comment sections on anything are cesspits and you only view them to view the ideas of those most or least opinionated in something. There's no middle ground, because those people only kinda opinionated are gonna be like "Eh, I got things to do".

this is how i view it, however from an outside perspective a lot of comments means that this is a "hot topic" and thus would attract media attention (i dont know if they actually look and see what the comments are, or if they just see the # of total comments)

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 10:17:39 PM »
Live or die on this day. Live or die on this day.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 10:33:04 PM »
As far as the comments are concerned, they look like a real pain to navigate.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 10:39:42 PM »
I'm in the "There's no such thing as bad press" camp on this one. It's exposure, and it's a LOT of it! And, though there are fantastical equines and sub-bridge dwellers, Tony's right: the majority of the comments are at least sympathetic.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2012, 12:17:39 AM »
Well done... whoever... submitted this. The hits just keep coming.

Yoru-hime

• Minion
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2012, 12:23:43 AM »
It's very strange to see CoH in my Slashdot RSS feed. Strange and awesome. By Slashdot standards, the reception for it definitely isn't bad at all.

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 12:25:27 AM »
I used to read Slashdot every day, but I got sick of the negativity in the comments. Seeing us there is very awesome feeling :D
Woo! - Argent Girl

Lucretia MacEvil

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 12:37:58 AM »
I'm in the "There's no such thing as bad press" camp on this one. It's exposure, and it's a LOT of it! And, though there are fantastical equines and sub-bridge dwellers, Tony's right: the majority of the comments are at least sympathetic.

I agree that this is good exposure for us, and that the sympathetic comments prove that.

As for the saying "there's no such thing as bad press".... I thought our campaign to point out NCsoft's faults was helping to drive their stock down....

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 12:49:58 AM »
I agree that this is good exposure for us, and that the sympathetic comments prove that.

As for the saying "there's no such thing as bad press".... I thought our campaign to point out NCsoft's faults was helping to drive their stock down....

Curse you and your logic!  :P
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2012, 02:17:58 AM »
AND MMORPG.COM!!!!!
"The efforts of the City of Heroes players have been spreading throughout the Internet. Celebrities such as actor Sean Astin, actress Tara Platt, authors Neil Gaiman, Mercedes Lackey, John C. Wright, Laurell K. Hamilton, and web comic artist and illustrator John Kovalic"
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2012, 02:20:31 AM »
And bleeding cool  http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/12/05/wednesday-runaround-the-scarcity-of-deadpool/

Yes, we're not quite top of the page but hey, who can argue with Deadpool?
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2012, 02:21:27 AM »
* DrakeGrimm smirks.

And they thought we'd go away after the closure. Poor deluded fools.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Daimyoshi

• Lieutenant
  • Shinobi
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2012, 02:25:06 AM »
They shall agree with us or I shall arrange rubber hose beatings!

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2012, 02:47:35 AM »
Actually, I'm kind of surprised how many pages are cross linking the slashdot post.

Another cool bit from our friends in Sweden.

http://www.gamecore.se/?tag=city-of-heroes
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2012, 03:05:59 AM »
i use slashdot as my home page when i first open my browser so i can do a quick scan to see what kind of news is about with the real world lol
I do that with Fark. That way I get weird shit and caturday in addition to my meatspace news.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2012, 03:07:09 AM »
Where's the link to the stuff on MMORPG? I don't see it on front page, am I stupid?

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2012, 03:22:58 AM »
No one seems to be using the Thank the Media thread, anymore.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2012, 03:27:19 AM »
So start throwing the links in there yourself. No one says someone else has to do it! :p

(((NOT a mod comment! just some silly to lighten the day)))
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2012, 03:29:33 AM »
I've been throwing a few in, but the ones on tap, today, don't really match the significance of the ones that now have their own threads. I'm not worried about it if you aren't.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2012, 03:41:43 AM »
I do that with Fark. That way I get weird pancake and caturday in addition to my meatspace news.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2012, 03:50:52 AM »
The MMORPG.com thing comes and goes. It's tied to forum activity. It wasn't there one time I looked but was the next.

The responses have mostly what folks expected on slashdot.

cforciea

• Underling
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2012, 03:54:30 AM »
The crosslinking isn't surprising to me, for the same reason I was excited enough to make a Slashdot thread. Slashdot has a reader base much higher than any of the gaming outlets that we've hit on (3.7 million viewers a month according to wikipedia). It isn't a gaming publication, it is a popular tech publication.

This is not to say that game publications aren't still important, but Slashdot is significantly more mainstream and will get a lot more views from people who might play games but are not "gamers" in the sense that they'll read gaming publications.

I didn't mean to highjack the thank the media thread.

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2012, 04:05:46 AM »
I like to think that we all understand at this point, to thank the media. However, from this point on, if it'll make things easier I have no problems taking it on whenever someone posts a seperate thread for the press we get. It's what, a few seconds of my time to take it to the Media thread and remind people?

Whenever we see these big deal postings, we're always going to get a bit excited. We want everyone to see it, so it's natural to want to post a new thread. Especially when it's things like Slashdot. Heck, even Tony did this.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2012, 04:07:27 AM »
I'm not complaining. It was meant more as a "kids these days" moment. The Korea Times, slashdot, and NYPost pieces deserve their own threads.

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2012, 04:16:26 AM »
Understood! Now, at least. Before I misunderstood. :P

Dr Shadow

• Lieutenant
  • Dr Shadow Champion server/ @Leila_L twitter
Dr Shadow- Champion Server @Leila_L twitter

Teutonic Rogue

• Underling
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2012, 04:47:03 AM »
Live or die on this day. Live or die on this day.

*tapes bottles from the mini-bar to fingers, breaks them on a rock and faces off against the game-devouring alpha wolf that is NCSoft*

<.<

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2012, 04:49:28 AM »
Ahahaha. If only we could all gang up and do that for real, huh?

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2012, 05:18:17 AM »
OK, the second was the one I saw. The first is garnering a more positive response.

Vasarto

• Boss
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2012, 05:25:51 AM »
wait....over 40%?

When did this happen? Just yesterday it was only just under 7%.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2012, 05:28:10 AM »
It has dropped 40% from where it was at/before the announcement (Aug 31).

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2012, 08:37:23 AM »
Well I see someone out there still confuses revenue with profit.

The last 12 months of CoH sales was roughly $10-11 million dollars.  Now lets see take 11 and divide by 4 and you get $2.75 million a quarter.  Now where have I heard that number before?

Unless of course you believe NCSoft has been cooking the books about the games sales revenues.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot