Author Topic: OK, what now? I need a private server or the ability to run my own.  (Read 332589 times)

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
Re: OK, what now? I need a private server or the ability to run my own.
« Reply #1020 on: May 04, 2014, 11:58:06 PM »
We all know that private servers are a long way off. Talking about other things is a good way to wait and keeps the forums active. Don't worry about things going off topic as long as it doesn't upset people or cause an argument. If a breakthrough for private servers or plan Z happens, i'm sure things will return to the original topic almost instantly.
Agreed.    Keeping everyone engaged is the thing.
As for autodriving, the biggest problems would hit tourism and road trips. The preprogrammed routes would likely not cross small rural areas without major advertising. Back when the first highways were built, many small towns died because people had no reason to go through them and stop there anymore. The same thing would happen with auto driving technology. Yard sale? What's that? Not to mention that routes could be changed by corporations or government desires. Pitstops could be routed based on corporate brand name desires. Routes could be changed by government to avoid protest and prevent protesters from gathering, which would affect free speech. Auto driving could be great by lowering accidents and nearly ending traffic problems but it could also be bad. The human element needs to always remain an option.
I don't see why it would not be an option for people to decide what route they wished to take.   Seems like a no-brainer really.   Some people might just want to punch in the destination, but others would choose the exact route for reasons you mentioned....things like a preference for a pit stop.   People aren't going to suddenly not care about paying more at 7-11 for the same items.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1021 on: May 05, 2014, 06:12:25 AM »
We all know that private servers are a long way off. Talking about other things is a good way to wait and keeps the forums active. Don't worry about things going off topic as long as it doesn't upset people or cause an argument. If a breakthrough for private servers or plan Z happens, i'm sure things will return to the original topic almost instantly.

Well, if private server technology did materialize, the thesis of the thread would be somewhat mooted.

As for autodriving, the biggest problems would hit tourism and road trips. The preprogrammed routes would likely not cross small rural areas without major advertising. Back when the first highways were built, many small towns died because people had no reason to go through them and stop there anymore. The same thing would happen with auto driving technology. Yard sale? What's that? Not to mention that routes could be changed by corporations or government desires. Pitstops could be routed based on corporate brand name desires. Routes could be changed by government to avoid protest and prevent protesters from gathering, which would affect free speech. Auto driving could be great by lowering accidents and nearly ending traffic problems but it could also be bad. The human element needs to always remain an option.

The difference here is that the interstate highway system *created* new paths to take which were capable of bypassing the original paths.  Self-driving cars aren't nearly as much of a threat because they can only use the paths that are already there, and most likely the paths most people already take.  The advent of GPS navigation systems already do as much damage as automated driving technology could have possibly done.

Most of what you're talking about is not automated driving, but allowing external entities to actually dictate where you go.  I'll bet anything anyone wants right now that sort of technology doesn't get mass deployed in my lifetime, or the lifetime of anyone who could possibly be reading these words now.  Its one thing for an automated driver to avoid traffic congestion because of some protest activity: that sort of thing is what I *want* my car to do already, regardless of the cause of the traffic congestion.  But there's no way automated driving technology will actively prevent me from reaching a protest site even if I direct it to drive there, just because the government doesn't want me to go there.  The government already has a way to do that: its called roadblocks.  They are significantly more effective than attempting to hijack control of all the automated cars on the road.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #1022 on: May 07, 2014, 12:15:52 AM »
Here's to the thesis being mooted! Huzzah!
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1023 on: May 24, 2014, 03:26:02 PM »
Somebody is shooting their mouth off in one of the CoH FB groups that there is a private server. I call BS but ...

Examples

"There is a private server out there."

"Um no I've seen and played it with my own eyes And hands last month. It's invite only and was suppose to a huge secret."

"The people that run the private server had inside help from a few devs and help with server storage. It is the full game with all events and content."

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1024 on: May 24, 2014, 05:38:29 PM »
typical maladjusted troll baiting you'd expect to find on facebook.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1025 on: May 25, 2014, 12:01:52 AM »
I want in on this mythical private server.  :( I'm entitled as Titan's resident zilla.  >:(
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1026 on: May 25, 2014, 02:17:06 AM »
I'm entitled as Titan's resident zilla.  >:(

As long as you don't destroy it with your atomic breath while hunting MUTOs! :)

JKPhage

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1027 on: May 25, 2014, 02:19:50 AM »
I don't believe for one second that there is an invite-only private server out there and it magically had nothing to do with and no exposure on these forums. It's one of those completely incomprehensible people that somehow gets a kick out of confusing people and causing trouble. I will never understand that kind of behavior.

I fully invite them to prove me wrong and shoot me an invite to this supposedly 100% authentic server with all content and events running, but I highly doubt that kind of claim. Especially saying that it was "suppose (sic) to be a huge secret" and then proceeding to spout off about it on facebook.

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #1028 on: May 25, 2014, 02:20:45 AM »
Somebody is shooting their mouth off in one of the CoH FB groups that there is a private server. I call BS but ...

Examples

"There is a private server out there."

"Um no I've seen and played it with my own eyes And hands last month. It's invite only and was suppose to a huge secret."

"The people that run the private server had inside help from a few devs and help with server storage. It is the full game with all events and content."

Yeah, I want in on the mythical server too -- but the larger question is what kind of IDIOT would this guy be if he were invited to an "invite only" "huge secret" private server and was bragging about it on FACEBOOK!!!
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #1029 on: May 25, 2014, 03:43:48 AM »

Cinnder

• Boss
« Reply #1030 on: May 25, 2014, 09:38:33 AM »
Well said, Tony.  Thanks for weighing in.

I think I've been watching too many movies lately, cuz when you said this:

... I just find it really hard to believe that during the chaos of what was going on, someone managed to secretly make a copy of dozens of gigabytes of code and assets or else walk a hard drive right past NCsoft and law enforcement.  (That would take immense balls, though, and would be a GREAT addition to the book/movie of our story once we get the game back!)

...I pictured a couple devs making their way through a network of sewers beneath the Paragon offices, with perhaps one staying behind to sacrifice him/herself so that the one carrying the code could escape.

And when you said this:

If there is a private server out there, and if someone is keeping it secret, and if there's only a small group of people playing on it, and if they're determined for it to stay that way...

...I pictured you as a different Tony in his apartment talking to Loki.

Yeah, I gotta turn off the DVD player and go outside or something.

Tahliah

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1031 on: May 25, 2014, 11:36:34 AM »
Hear, hear, Tony!  If there's a super secret COX server with only a handful of super secret players, then it doesn't do me much good at all.  I'd rather not even know about it if I can't play on it.  (heh, that seems to need a "so there" foot stomp, but I mean it more as sad than foot stompy)

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1032 on: May 25, 2014, 03:18:04 PM »
actually it's bst not to respond to those types of people at all, because it simply feeds them. Because they are most likely sadistic sociopaths on a clinical level; and any kind of interaction or validation of their troll baiting merely feeds their behavior. Calling them out is like smacking a dysfunctional kid around... to them, any attention is good attention.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #1033 on: May 25, 2014, 08:04:46 PM »
I agree with Tony, unless you see it for yourself I wouldn't put much into what someone says. I would rather wait and hope the new effort is successful, that way I can team with friends again. :)
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #1034 on: May 26, 2014, 02:39:15 AM »
Offering anything to get invited to this server!

**even my body**

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1035 on: May 26, 2014, 02:43:40 AM »
As long as you don't destroy it with your atomic breath while hunting MUTOs! :)
I have *very* good aim, I'll have you know! I only knock over buildings I don't like the looks of. (Seattle's music museum, the EMP, is the first one to go.)
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #1036 on: May 26, 2014, 02:48:03 AM »
I don't believe for one second that there is an invite-only private server out there and it magically had nothing to do with and no exposure on these forums. It's one of those completely incomprehensible people that somehow gets a kick out of confusing people and causing trouble. I will never understand that kind of behavior.

I fully invite them to prove me wrong and shoot me an invite to this supposedly 100% authentic server with all content and events running, but I highly doubt that kind of claim. Especially saying that it was "suppose (sic) to be a huge secret" and then proceeding to spout off about it on facebook.
In my opinion the likelihood of them being even slightly truthful is almost imperceptibly small and i suspect i'm being generous.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

BenshowSly

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1037 on: May 26, 2014, 03:18:31 AM »
Well, I don't want to say who is right and wrong on here since I prefer to be on the "I don't know" side but...

If it is true, I know some people who will bite their fingers for having brushed away the possibility  ;D

I'm not gonna risk voicing my opinion on if it exists or not, just in case ;)

However, I admit that I wish it would be true...
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 03:26:32 AM by BenshowSly »

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1038 on: May 26, 2014, 03:43:17 AM »
Super Secret Server, invite only....

And being bragged about on Facebook.

I roll to disbelieve.

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1039 on: May 26, 2014, 04:39:27 AM »
Tony is quite correct.  There's no such server.  But If such a server exists, it's in one of the dev's homes on his/her personal server and only he/she plays it.  I could believe Matt has his own copy.  Probably a few others too.  Invites his friends?  doubtful.  Invite any of us?  You'd have a better chance sleeping with your favourite actor/actress than get that invite.

As for this person who was invited to a super secret server, he's out for kicks, and he's picked coh players to be his victims.  I have to admit I would consider ringing up NC's lawyers and turning this guy over to them.  I'm sure he'd get all the attention he craves in court.

LV
No Surrender!