Author Topic: A final statement to NCSoft  (Read 5958 times)

Warden 816

• Underling
A final statement to NCSoft
« on: November 29, 2012, 07:09:36 PM »
The end is almost here. And I don't think that we should let our toons go quietly into the void.  For me my toons are real people with real lives and concerns (I mean real in the game, I'm not that crazy).  I am planning on posting an obitutary for each of my toons when the servers go down and I think we all should do that as well.  As impressive as my 15 - 20 toons are (I had way more but never fully developed them) I think the thousands of toons we all have created over the years added together will make quite an impact.

What I am asking is to post a pic of your toon and either write a brief bio about that character or if you can't write just post the toons name, Rest In Peace or some similar epitath, and the date 11-30-2012 (if you want to add the toons creation date or birth date feel free). 

Nafaustu

• Boss
Re: A final statement to NCSoft
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 07:42:57 PM »
I did something less final.   I wrote up little blurbs, brief character bios about the character that also indicate final logout points and why.   When the lights go out my main, Refracted on virtue, will be in moth cemetary.   I figure that way she gets to fight Mot's terrors forever. :)

I can't think of her as dead, as she'll live on in my writing...even as the inspiration for the character has her world vanish around her.   And its always possible it might re-appear, i'm not ready to give up yet.

I posted these on my facebook page as an encouragement to get others to sign the petition, but I could probably figure out how to post them here, if this would be a close enough conceptually to what you're looking for.

NeutronPixie

• Underling
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 07:46:15 PM »
But, for me, my toons aren't dead. I will write up where they ended.. but none of them are dead...
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 07:55:38 PM by NeutronPixie »

Little David

• Boss
    • The Ad Ultimum Network
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 08:09:18 PM »
Yeah ... just because NCSoft is killing the game doesn't mean they can kill the game universe.

My guys will survive CoH's death. Heck, I may even use the demorecord editing function to do silly videos. I know I've got one video project lying around from 2008 ...

But while I won't be writing them off as RIP, I could take the time to write about their careers as heroes and villains.

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 08:16:58 PM »
They can't kill the universe I created.  My characters live on, both in my head and in other games.  But I don't think any other platform will reflect their backstory, relationships and abilities like Cities did/does.

LT. Couper

• Boss
  • The battle won't end until it's won!
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 09:00:32 PM »
LT. Couper will live on, in the world of Dark Refuge where he was created, in the book where we met, and inside me. He has survived one apocalypse (granted at the time he was on the side destroying the Earth), and he will survive this one.
"Heroes may die, but heroism never shall." ~Cyrus "Breakneck" Thompson

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 09:19:15 PM »
Segev existed before CoV, and will continue after. He is, after all, an 800+-year-old necromancer who planewalked into CoH's world in the first place. He'll just leave.

The others...well, pity about them. The Burgundy Gentleman was an odd one in the first place.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 09:48:21 PM »
What I am asking is to post a pic of your toon and either write a brief bio about that character or if you can't write just post the toons name, Rest In Peace or some similar epitath, and the date 11-30-2012 (if you want to add the toons creation date or birth date feel free).
I was planning to do that anyhow. :)
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

nerd1090

• Underling
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 10:05:25 PM »
well, Controscuro takes vengeance vengeance on ncsoft, Verdant tiger existed from when i was a kid, so he's fine, Celtir doesn't actually die, because i haven't unlocked him, and Artican puts herself in an icecoma, till somebody brings back the game. Corrupton, whom i deleted to make room, is happy to join his father in death, while Teslas brawler beats up guys for eternity

Shadowhawke

• Minion
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 11:07:20 PM »
Yeah, just because the game is ending, it doesn't mean the characters died. All mine, the way I see it, are going on as they are pretty much had the shutdown not occurred. Corporate whims and greed have no place in my ultimate storylines.

eviella

• Minion
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 11:28:15 PM »
With the exception of my main, who will go out somewhere with friends, my alts are all logging out in their bases.  They're going to be safe at home going into the dark.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 11:36:27 PM »
Well, let's remember Primal Earth will still be there - it's just that nobody will be getting in or out. In a brief summary...

The Silver Spartan left Primal Earth at the very last moment, pulled through the dimensional barrier in the middle of the battle against Battallion (note: yes, I have a story excuse for what happened when the mapserver DCd me on top of my machine crashing). Is he coming home? Maybe.

Engine Jean? The lie of being a hero became the truth. The truth of being a villain planning revenge on fellow villains has become the lie and eventually faded. She will never see herself as a true hero - but I know she's still out there, trying to become a better person. And one day, she will go back in time to fight Prothean alongside her younger self. Maybe that time around both of them will get to walk out of it alive.

Ghostslinger? Her task is over. She has earned peace. Until the day the world once again has need of an undead vigilante bound to an ancient spirit of vengeance, she will sleep. Hopefully that will be a very long time.

Booster Angel? She's still out there, in the only world she has ever known, trying to understand what it means to be human. But it will be the character I adapted her from who gets to ask her creators the question: Why?

Captain Freon, whom I've created but never actually got around to playing? He's somewhere on a beach, working on his tan and yet to figure out how this funky suit he found actually works. His story began before CoH, and it is not going to end here.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

AlabasterKnight

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, 11:44:36 PM »
Many of my toons were created from personal stables and even have declarations in their bios that they are my IP (so NCSoft can stick that up... well anyway)...
They survive in the world of print where I continue to get them published as part of the pen and paper RPG Villains and Vigilantes. As for my SG, the Garrison on Protector: They were an impressive sight once upon a time, alongside my wife's SG FemForce, an unstoppable army against Paragon City's evils...

To the OP: That was merely a chapter. We will always be able to add to the story, and when all this organization here comes to fruition, hopefully, we can see that next story written.

Kind regards,
AlabasterKnight

samfivedot

• Underling
  • ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWAH
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 12:09:09 AM »
If TR-109's body is destroyed, her brain just downloads itself into a new one. So long as a backup copy of her exists somewhere, she can't ever truly die. (And fortunately, I made sure to extract her to my computer!)

Even a full-on dimensional collapse won't kill President Ironside. As he would put it, the flame of freedom in his heart can never be extinguished. He's just using his downtime to catch up on paperwork in the Oval Office - he's spent most of his term punching out demons while screaming bizarre patriotic metaphors, so his inbox is quite backed up.

Serena Scorned's vengeance will continue forever. I plan on logging her out just before she attacks a pack of Skulls.

Antenora, or the thing possessing her, is a shapeshifting mass of pure evil, and unfortunately there will always be evil. Losing access to one silly little dimension is nothing.

Tanglefoe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 12:09:30 AM »
Most of my heroes were lego heroes I created 18 years ago who saved my friend's little lego town.  This game won't be their end.  It was just part of their story.

Warden 816

• Underling
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 12:17:21 AM »
You are all right, obitutary is a word that makes us think of death and DEATH is a word that makes everything final.  That was my fault for popping an ambien and than thinking of posting this online.  I guess what I should have said is, when the servers go dark, take to NcSoft FB page and write a post about your character.  Give the end of the story to your character that NcSoft has denied us, write an obituatary for your character, a news article on their exploits in Paragon, a poem, whatever you are most comfortable with to show NcSoft that these were more than computer generated characters and should have been treated with some respect.  Not just tossed aside like yesterdays garbage.

KnightHawk Prime

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2012, 01:03:12 AM »
"Donna Noble has been saved. Donna Noble is no longer in the Library."
"Sentinel Prime is on Overwatch."

*This* world is coming to an end.
Not *all* worlds are.

My and Tiriahna's characters have *always* had a home elsewhere.
There will be no Obituaries from *Our* characters, thank you very fricking much, NCSoftCore.

Lord Marshal KnightHawk Prime,
Unit Commanding Officer,

Strike Colonel Tiriahna KnightRose,
Unit Executive Officer,

1st International Technical Assistance Command
[1st Imperial Tactical Assault Command]
Strategic Operations Command
Kevlarr's KnightHawks

"Honor, Quality, Loyalty, Perseverance"
Unit Founded May 28th 1982.

Go quietly into that good night?
Like Hell We Will.

See you when Plan Z Releases.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2012, 01:06:17 AM »
I've done just about everything I can to save my characters off - Sentinel+, demos, O-portal... When the servers go down, my characters will continue on in some form or another.  Not being able to log in will only be an inconvenience.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Tacitala

• Boss
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2012, 02:11:26 AM »
Corporate whims and greed have no place in my ultimate storylines.

So much THIS.  Then again, one of my heroes is just one of my characters for Amber Diceless RPG on "vacation".  If it makes anyone feel better, I can pay the character points to have her officially buy Primal Earth and its parallel dimensions as a "personal shadow" so they have another game world to officially exist in.  ;)
"And I, of course, am innocent of all but malice."
- Princess Fiona of Amber

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2012, 02:51:48 AM »
Of all of mine, only one is liable to ever turn up again elsewhere.

Paragon is there home, where there friends, family and loved ones are..

Hell, even if CoH survives in someone else's hands, but our accounts don't.. they probably won't be restored.

What happens to them? I don't know.. *sigh*
Too much that's far more important to worry about right now. :(