Author Topic: City of Heroes 2  (Read 28391 times)

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
Re: City of Heroes 2
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2012, 11:26:19 PM »
I think that the CoH2 domain name would very likely be bundled with any sale of the game.
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2012, 11:27:31 PM »
It bears pointing out that the front page of the official CoH site had links for "We're Hiring" and "Join Now!" for at least a week after Black Friday. The general impression is that the decision to shut down the game and studio was made extremely quickly, perhaps as recently as a week before the announcement.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2012, 11:39:48 PM »
And preview pictures of the Tech Knight armor set were put up on Facebook just 3 hours before the closure announcement was posted.
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

mikenovember

• Lieutenant
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2012, 11:40:31 PM »

SeaLily

• Lieutenant
  • green hair
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2012, 11:58:48 PM »
The devs already talked about this some.  I'm pretty sure Positron touched on it in his Lore AMA.  Or maybe it was someone else?  Either way we've had concrete info for a month or so about it.  CoH2 was something they wanted to do, eventually, but they were busy with their other MMO project and it was going to have to wait until that was shipped to really get underway.  CoH2 and untitled project were going to share the same new engine.  They also said they were hoping to have some sort of way to link or transfer characters from 1 to 2 in some manner(probably some really minor bonuses or name reservations or something).

CoH2 existed in the sense that there were discussions about making it and it was an 'eventually' project.  Maybe there'd been some early design work done too, I wouldn't be surprised.  But it died along with Paragon Studios.

If there was to ever be a CoH2 now, it would be made by whoever ends up purchasing the rights to CoH from NCsoft, if they even sell.
green hair

Technerdoc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2012, 12:02:30 AM »
I belive it when I see it, but when I see the way how they handle that then I don't think they are that stupid and the community aren't so stupid too that they really want to play an City of Heroes 2 from an other studio after all this mess. Yes, there was a time where we all was thinking that we see this game one day, but I don't think that the community will accept this game even when it's exist and I'm sure NC-Soft knows that.

Jadenator

• Underling
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2012, 12:12:27 AM »
I know the article is dated back in Jan, I also know that from the jobs page I'm looking at now that the article linked out to are the same locations I remember Paragon being located at, and clearly they've been hiring or have hired almost a year ago.  (I don't know exactly where their mountain view location is, I'll admit, but the Orange County and Austin locations I know is where Paragon was located.)  To me it hasn't been updated since I stumbled on it back in Sept.  The article doesn't mention a special project, it mentioned a new MMO at the same location.

I don't know what their motive is, and yes it does sound stupid to kill off Paragon just to bring in a new team, but it'd be even stupider to hold onto a license and throw money into it for almost 3 years and renew it just before shut down just to have it sit there or be forced to sell it with the first.  I don't know if selling Heroes means they have to sell the license to the second with it.

If I remember correctly, US and Europe wages are higher than Korean wages.  So we're talking about NC Soft having to purchase more property in the US and Europe if they want to keep dev teams here (which they clearly do since their hiring locations show it) and paying for two dev teams whose wages are higher than the wages 'back home'.  So looking at it from their 'business view' it probably would make more sense if they want to save money.  Remember, they said their 'reasoning' was a new alignment of company focus, which could mean anything.

I don't know, a bunch of my friends from the game said I had good points and I wanted to share.   I just know they own the license to CoH2, and to me it says something to renew it just before shutting down the first, specially if they have or are getting a new dev team together for it.  But just because they have it doesn't mean it will happen like everyone's been saying, but the plans are clearly there.  As messed up as this is going to sound I hope everyone's too PO'ed at them to apply and it was all for nothing.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2012, 12:40:42 AM »
NCSoft was notorious for not updating their "we're hiring" pages.  I have several friends who had applied on the basis of those pages only to be told that no, NCSoft West was not hiring at the time.

One of the questions the Korean Times reporter asked me about was if the Western players would support a browser-based, side-scrolling CoH2.  I am going to assume he asked me that because he had some inside knowledge that such a project was being floated.

So let me quickly find the question and my answer and post it here.

8.  As you know, the gaming platform is moving from PC to mobile in recent years: can you see yourself, if NCsoft decides to preserve City and make it available on mobile, playing it on a smartphone?

First of all, this is a complete fallacy.  It is probably much more realistic to say that "gaming has expanded into mobile operations."  There are just as many expensive gaming PCs being used now as there ever were.  There are just as many PC gamers as there ever were.  Big, powerful PCs are not being sold as much as they were in the past, because PC gamers are not buying new computers, they are upgrading their existing ones instead.  If you want a real number of PC gamers, as opposed to what the "common impression" is, you should look at sales of advanced video cards, not PCs as a whole.

PC gaming is not going to go away, or even drop that much.  In fact, as those inclined to game in the West get older, they are MORE likely to move to PCs.  Quite frankly, for those of us who are older (I am 62), gaming on a small screen is next to impossible.  I need as big a display as I can afford.  I have tried even simple games on a smartphone, and never went past the free trial as they were impossible and frustrating.  Nor am I the only one to say this.  The older a player is, the MORE likely he is to want a powerful PC with a big display to game on.

Judging by the reaction from the players on the Titan Network, NONE of them would be even remotely interested in a 2D sidescrolling version of City of Heroes.  Apps for a phone--checking the Marketplace, for instance, or simple chat on one of your global channels--those would be welcome.  But the players reacted to the idea of a 2D sidescrolling City of Heroes with disgust--and at this point, frankly, if NCSoft offered the core playerbase free beer for a year and a brand new car with their game, we probably wouldn't buy it.  If this is NCSoft's plan, it is a very bad one.

There also seems to be a fallacious assumption in Korea that everyone has 4G connectivity with unlimited airtime.

No.

In the US there are very few places with 4G connectivity.  I can't get it for instance, anywhere in my area.  Even 3G isn't the norm.  In fact, at my house, I can only get 2G service, which only allows texting and phone calls.  And US customers have limited plans with limited airtime.  There are many recent news stories about parents who absent-mindedly handed their child their phone to play an online game to keep him busy only to find themselves with a shockingly high bill at the end of the month.  This was not a bill for the game, which was free to play--it was a bill for the data download.  Many people have been switching to texting rather than calling, despite the fact that texting is less convenient because unlimited texting is still cheaper than using phone minutes.

The hype about smartphone games ignores this.  Evidently the writers of this hype live in an alternate universe, where 4G service is everywhere and costs nothing, rather than the reality I live in, where 4G service is confined to large cities, and data plans begin at $30 a month extra, with additional charges for every meg downloaded over 2GB a month.  ($30 for 2GB per month, $50 for 5GB, and $80 for 10GB.)

I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Surelle

« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2012, 12:52:41 AM »
Mercedes,

It is quite interesting in that case that he chose to leave that section out of the article altogether.  I hope he at least passed on its message to that NCSoft rep he talked to for the article.   :P

NeutronStar

• Underling
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2012, 01:04:17 AM »
Then you have these two articles.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/12/04/ncsoft-undergoing-realignment/

http://koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/biz/2012/12/123_126197.html

Considering that it's now revealed the game was making them over $2M a quarter, their assertation that the game was costing them money is now undeniably false. They'd rather hang onto their Korean Gold Farm, AKA Lineage II, one that, I believe, was the real cause to their losses.
Mmmm, bacon...

Vasarto

• Boss
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2012, 01:05:45 AM »
I hate to burst your bubbles but if you sell Cox you HAVE to sell it all which includes the rights to make a sequel etc.
You cannot own ANY I.P from a Sequel and allow the creators to keep making the game. Its impossible no matter what the business transaction or relationship is.

Once you buy a I.P you own it.

If someone tries to buy the rights to the Halo game. They are buying a franchise. Not an individual game. you..CAN buy the rights to make your own versions of it that have strict guide lines like a pc version of X game or whatever or a something for the mobile phone but you wont own it.

So if Disney or whomever buys Cox...NCSOFT can NEVER make another Cox title or they will be sued and they will loose.

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2012, 01:07:27 AM »
I heard Aion was the one that's been costing them, not L2.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2012, 01:10:57 AM »
Judging by the reaction from the players on the Titan Network, NONE of them would be even remotely interested in a 2D sidescrolling version of City of Heroes.  Apps for a phone--checking the Marketplace, for instance, or simple chat on one of your global channels--those would be welcome.  But the players reacted to the idea of a 2D sidescrolling City of Heroes with disgust--and at this point, frankly, if NCSoft offered the core playerbase free beer for a year and a brand new car with their game, we probably wouldn't buy it.  If this is NCSoft's plan, it is a very bad one.

Considering that Star Wars in recent years more or less told the original fans, "You don't matter", and Star Trek even went a step further and said, "The last 50 years of your viewership never happened", it wouldn't shock me if NCsoft didn't give a crap how the original fans felt about a 2D CoH2. As long as they think the portable gamers will buy it, that's all that matters. And I think NCsoft has already said enough to tell us that we're pretty irrelevant to their pockets.

Jadenator

• Underling
« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2012, 01:36:53 AM »
I hate to burst your bubbles but if you sell Cox you HAVE to sell it all which includes the rights to make a sequel etc.
You cannot own ANY I.P from a Sequel and allow the creators to keep making the game. Its impossible no matter what the business transaction or relationship is.

Once you buy a I.P you own it.

If someone tries to buy the rights to the Halo game. They are buying a franchise. Not an individual game. you..CAN buy the rights to make your own versions of it that have strict guide lines like a pc version of X game or whatever or a something for the mobile phone but you wont own it.

So if Disney or whomever buys Cox...NCSOFT can NEVER make another Cox title or they will be sued and they will loose.

not true.  I actually JUST had this talk with my mom who was a computer software trainer and has dealt with these issues before.  NC Soft can sell off Heroes and keep Heroes 2 and do what ever they want with it.  The licenses have no connection to each other.  I think it's just a matter of making it run and play differently from the first.  *Also* they have to be willing to sell Heroes off first.

As for what cost NC Soft money, it was Aion, Blades and Souls, and the launch of GW2
http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/08/08/ncsoft-weathers-6m-loss-in-q2/

Vasarto

• Boss
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2012, 01:41:23 AM »
So they chose to keep the project that is costing them the most money and Got rid of one of their most profit making ones.......Does the old computer term

DOES NOT COMPUTE

Translate well into their language?

Jadenator

• Underling
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2012, 01:46:51 AM »
So they chose to keep the project that is costing them the most money and Got rid of one of their most profit making ones.......Does the old computer term

DOES NOT COMPUTE

Translate well into their language?

Nope.  Not only that but they are releasing Blades and Souls to NA and Euro gamers, or already did (I lost track), probably to try to make up loss sales/money to keep it alive I guess.  You cannot replace a family-friendly game with a gory mature one, but I dont know what logic they're using.

Jadenator

• Underling
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2012, 01:56:55 AM »
Also while I'm remembering it, one of the reasons NC Soft also has for firing Paragon and putting the new dev team in where Paragon once was, is the fact everything is already there, servers etc. instead of having to go out and buy new ones, just reuse what they already have (Someone said this somewhere else, I can't remember who or where.)

Plus I have a question that's been bugging me, I'm wondering if anyone can answer it.  From what I read NC Soft didn't want to sell before the shut down date due to legal issues.  Well if this is true, what's the difference between NC Soft buying Heroes from Cryptic (I dont think they just handed it over did they??) to NC soft selling it off to someone else??  I would think it would pretty much be the same process???

Arctic Force.

• Lieutenant
  • I am A Blaster.....Floors Fear Me!!
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2012, 03:05:53 AM »
Mountain View is in the Bay Area near San Francisco over 300 miles away from Orange County near Los Angeles. The Paragon Studios were stripped. So there is minimal equipment to be used
One the biggest entertainment franchises was saved by a letter writing campaign. Now it has 4 spin-off tv shows an animated series, eleven movies plus 1 in the works, multiple games And pretty much started "Fan-Cons". Thanks Mr. Roddenberry  Earn free bitcoin

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2012, 03:58:00 AM »
Also while I'm remembering it, one of the reasons NC Soft also has for firing Paragon and putting the new dev team in where Paragon once was, is the fact everything is already there, servers etc. instead of having to go out and buy new ones, just reuse what they already have (Someone said this somewhere else, I can't remember who or where.)

Plus I have a question that's been bugging me, I'm wondering if anyone can answer it.  From what I read NC Soft didn't want to sell before the shut down date due to legal issues.  Well if this is true, what's the difference between NC Soft buying Heroes from Cryptic (I dont think they just handed it over did they??) to NC soft selling it off to someone else??  I would think it would pretty much be the same process???

The entirety of Paragon Studios was stripped--in fact you can listen to the tear-down going on in the background of the last couple of coffee-talks--and the building is up for rent.  At least hearing, the building had no new tenant, though that could change since the property is very reasonably priced for the area.  The servers are part of an existing server farm in Dallas that they rent, so nothing to buy there. 

I assume that the HQ of NCSoft West (which is in Seattle, not Orange County or California), where the recent layoffs were, is also in rented facilities. 

I would gently suggest that you stop listening to people who are giving you such bad information, because so far everything you have said is demonstrably wrong.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Jadenator

• Underling
« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2012, 04:21:59 AM »
The entirety of Paragon Studios was stripped--in fact you can listen to the tear-down going on in the background of the last couple of coffee-talks--and the building is up for rent.  At least hearing, the building had no new tenant, though that could change since the property is very reasonably priced for the area.  The servers are part of an existing server farm in Dallas that they rent, so nothing to buy there. 

I assume that the HQ of NCSoft West (which is in Seattle, not Orange County or California), where the recent layoffs were, is also in rented facilities. 

I would gently suggest that you stop listening to people who are giving you such bad information, because so far everything you have said is demonstrably wrong.

Actually no, not everything I said is wrong.  As I stated in my first post, Zwil had mentioned CoH2 was going to be done and that Paragon was not working on it.  I will have to dig through the coffee talks to find out which one he said it in but I sat in and watched it live when he said it.  Also the fact NC Soft owns the license and made a fourth request for extension on Nov 18 and it was granted on Nov 26, and I posted the link to the license info, also shows I was not wrong there either.  They clearly have plans for CoH2, it's a matter of if and when.