Author Topic: Possible Player run end of game event  (Read 25681 times)

Copper Cockroach

• Boss
  • Phoenix Project: 2D Art Lead
Re: Possible Player run end of game event
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2012, 11:34:59 AM »
I believe Rikti War Zone can hold a maximum of 50 players. What if more than 50 want to get in? A second instance of RWZ will spawn... but, can the event be hosted in two RWZ zone instances simultaneously? Or will only the first 50 get to participate?

You took the words right out of my... uh... keyboard. I was wondering about this, too... even if the RWZ's capacity is 100 (though 50 is probably right, I'm not sure), this seems like something that could attract somewhat more than that. As I recall, TonyV was only expecting about ten Atlas Parks for the Unity Rally...

Kuriositys Kat

• Lieutenant
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2012, 11:38:38 AM »
I will be there no matter what. Ready and willing to throw down with Battalion. *shrugs* I am a scrapper after all.

Edit: just parked KK in the War Zone ready for event launch.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 07:26:13 PM by Kuriositys Kat »
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do!" - The Doctor

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2012, 09:11:36 PM »
Because I'm busy setting up the last details, I'm not going to make this all pretty. But here's a basic guide to the event scheduled for Today, Wednesday, November 28th 2012 at 6PM Pacific.

1. The event is being held in the RWZ. There will be announcements in the zone as to what's happening and when, mostly in-character.

2. So people know what to expect, here's what's going to happen in brief.

- RulaCole is going to be in the zone attempting to transform the Battalion Barrier into a Dreamspace shield to protect Primal Earth from the Coming Storm

- Prometheus will also be in the zone, calling the defenders of Earth to rally to the defense of the zone. Prometheus has a special surprise for primal earth defenders: to face this ultimate threat to Primal Earth he has agreed to unlock all incarnate potential in all who have such potential. Anyone, whether they are an already Incarnate hero or just a beginning security level 1 villain will be empowered by Prometheus to their full potential. Prometheus will be in the Rikti War Zone about an hour before the event begins to give defenders of Primal Earth some time to adjust to their new empowerment.

[Note: that is exactly what it sounds like. Prometheus is going to grant everyone who enters RWZ full incarnate status with all the incarnate slots and powers. If you are not level 50 Prometheus will buff you to 50. But you will still have to train to 50 to actually use Incarnate powers, and you will still need to actually slot incarnate powers before using them.]

- While RulaCole is busy with his task, the players will have to take out the Rikti Mothership, which contains the Rikti homeworld portal generators. This time, its for keeps. If we have enough players, we will conduct a raid on the mothership as a warm up activity. Don't worry about it taking a long time: the Rikti Mothership Shield is no match for the power of RulaCole. Meaning: players will not have to run around destroying portals. Someone in the zone will be organizing a league to do this.

- If there are not enough players to form a reasonable raid on the mothership, RulaCole will expend some of his vast power to destroy the mothership.

- Either way, we're not going to be just blowing up a few grates and taking out a few Rikti. When the players finish off the Rikti defenders, someone will set the mothership's reactor to overload, permanently destroying the portal to the Rikti homeworld. Its unclear what happens when a Rikti Mothership reactor overloads. Might be interesting to see.

[Note: i.e. I'm not sure what we've planned will work, but if it does hopefully it will be memorable]

- Neutralizing the mothership and destroying the Rikti homeworld portal will alert the Battalion that humanity is up to something. They will push their advance team to secure a beachhead on Earth and accelerate their invasion of the planet. Expect to see Shivan assault squads attack. They will focus their attention on RulaCole, so players should seek to engage those forces at that location. RulaCole will be in near the heart of the crater and not hard to spot. Rularuu is usually not easy to miss.

- The initial Shivan assault will be reinforced by Kheldian slaves, and then the Battalion themselves. An unknown number of Battalion soldiers will be there commanding the advance forces. Unlike the Shivans and Kheldians, they are immensely powerful Incarnate-class foes with exotic powers. Players should try to team up to take them on.

- Whether the players defeat the invasion force and the Battalion or not, RulaCole will continue his task to render Primal Earth shielded from the Battalion. When he succeeds, the Battalion on Earth will be cut off from much of their power. They will then be much easier to defeat.

[Note: perfect balance is difficult under these circumstances, so the players may be able to beat the Battalion we have cooked up, or they may not. Either way, there's a specific cutout designed into the story to make it easier for the players to take them down at the appropriate time.]

- Mender Silos also has one last trick up his sleeve. He's made a deal with Hamidon to assist in the defense of Earth. However, Hamidon no longer trusts humanity. Hamidon will come to Earth and attack the Battalion, but will not be friendly to humanity either. Players can decide whether to engage Hamidon, or leave him alone.

- Once RulaCole completes his task, he will vanish, returning to the Shadow Shard. This will conclude the event.

- Of course, players may choose to continue on past that point if they wish.

Lastly, this is all happening without a lot of practice or testing due to technical and time limitations. Please be patient if we have technical difficulties or if we have to change things at the last minute. We will do our best to make this as smooth as possible given what's actually possible.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2012, 09:14:05 PM »
You took the words right out of my... uh... keyboard. I was wondering about this, too... even if the RWZ's capacity is 100 (though 50 is probably right, I'm not sure), this seems like something that could attract somewhat more than that. As I recall, TonyV was only expecting about ten Atlas Parks for the Unity Rally...

If more than 50 players show up, we can teleport them into the zone above the zone limit.  However, if something ridiculous like a 1000 people show up, that will overload our ability to run the even for everyone.  If something like that happens, we will try to set up something impromptu on Thursday on the assumption a huge number of people want to do something.

Unfortunately, how many players show up is a factor I can't predict, can't control, and have very strong constraints on the tools I can bring to bear to deal with.  I'm more concerned about not enough players showing up to make it interesting.

-A

Copper Cockroach

• Boss
  • Phoenix Project: 2D Art Lead
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2012, 10:56:34 PM »
Thanks, Arcana. See everyone there!

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2012, 11:04:12 PM »
- Prometheus will also be in the zone, calling the defenders of Earth to rally to the defense of the zone. Prometheus has a special surprise for primal earth defenders: to face this ultimate threat to Primal Earth he has agreed to unlock all incarnate potential in all who have such potential. Anyone, whether they are an already Incarnate hero or just a beginning security level 1 villain will be empowered by Prometheus to their full potential. Prometheus will be in the Rikti War Zone about an hour before the event begins to give defenders of Primal Earth some time to adjust to their new empowerment.

[Note: that is exactly what it sounds like. Prometheus is going to grant everyone who enters RWZ full incarnate status with all the incarnate slots and powers. If you are not level 50 Prometheus will buff you to 50. But you will still have to train to 50 to actually use Incarnate powers, and you will still need to actually slot incarnate powers before using them.
Here's the big question.

If you are NOT a VIP, will this allow you to actually use your Incarnate abilities?  I have all but the Hybrid slot unlocked, with powers ready to go for all of them, but I'm not a VIP.  Will this fix that?

Cuz there ain't a God out there, Incarnate or otherwise, that can save the Battalion if that's the case.

Also, as a notice to everyone else, if I have my timezones right,
IT IS CURRENTLY 3 HOURS UNTIL THE EVENT STARTS.

steve1967

• Minion
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2012, 11:30:18 PM »
Logged in and ready to defend the Earth once again...

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2012, 11:38:31 PM »
Here's the big question.

If you are NOT a VIP, will this allow you to actually use your Incarnate abilities?

I *think* so. 

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2012, 11:41:29 PM »
I *think* so.
Excuse me whilst I cackle maniacally.  I can't wait to see the shock on whatever the Battalion have as an excuse for faces.

Hope Prometheus won't mind me relogging multiple characters to get them unlocked.  Or will it enable the Incarnate abilities of all my characters accountwide?

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2012, 12:35:11 AM »
I've no idea how many strings you had to pull to do that, but it's awesome.  :)
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2012, 12:54:02 AM »
Bad news, folks.

If you are NOT a VIP, your incarnate powers will NOT become usable via this event.  You will get them, but cannot use them.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2012, 01:04:10 AM »
Oh well. The level increase is, I hope, permament?
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2012, 03:21:43 AM »
Yep.  And the event's over with.  Now the devs are just having fun murdering everyone in RWZ by summoning Kronos titans and Extinction Warwalkers.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2012, 03:57:28 AM »
Reposting from the official forums:

Briefly, thanks to everyone that helped put this together, and thanks to the players that showed up and patiently waited while we worked out some of the glitches. We honestly didn't expect to see so many people for an unofficial informal end of game event, but I'm glad we were able to accommodate everyone that showed up (at least until we started - we had to lock the zone for technical reasons once it kicked off).

I'll have the next part of the story posted some time tomorrow, along with some credits for the event, but first I'm going to sleep. This has sucked up most of my nights for the past week or two.

I do have sympathy for the devs running live events. I'll post what my (main) screen looked like during this event tomorrow: if you squint hard, you might actually see *the game*. I have some appreciation now for how hard it is to keep it all together and running and resist the urge to just sledgehammer things. My hats off to the devs there.

Except for Black Pebble, of course, who's idea of fun is to drop a squadron on Extinction Warwarlkers in lethal mode into the middle of the players. He's a psycho.

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2012, 04:11:29 AM »
Except for Black Pebble, of course, who's idea of fun is to drop a squadron on Extinction Warwarlkers in lethal mode into the middle of the players. He's a psycho.
To be fair, he had to spawn extras because we kept killing them.

*grin*

Pep Rally

• Boss
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2012, 04:35:10 AM »
Thanks for all your hard work, Arcanaville.  It is greatly appreciated!

Green Dwarf

• Underling
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2012, 05:35:09 AM »
1511 badges!  'nuff said.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2012, 10:02:20 AM »

Just before we started. "My god, it's full of names". Later I had to disable player names to see what was going on.

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2012, 12:04:30 PM »
Yep.  And the event's over with.  Now the devs are just having fun murdering everyone in RWZ by summoning Kronos titans and Extinction Warwalkers.

I missed that bit of it as it was about 3:15 am at that point and went to bed after we saved the world.

Thanks for doing this Arcanaville and all those who helped (I saw @TonyV and @Snow globe as a couple of the batallion monsters, not sure who else).

Fun if a little laggy.

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2012, 12:41:31 PM »
So, are you going to have an encore event today, for those who couldn't be there yesterday night?