Author Topic: Possible Player run end of game event  (Read 25521 times)

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
Possible Player run end of game event
« on: November 22, 2012, 01:00:15 AM »
I've been working quietly with a couple other players on the possibility of a player-run end of game event intended to occur next week.  This is all still being put together and lots of things could derail it, but I wanted to announce we're making a serious attempt to try this.  I posted my intent in this post on the official forums: http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?p=4426367 and part one of the backstory for the event here: http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?p=4426369.

For reasons that will eventually become clear, this is happening on the beta server, and lots of things could derail it, including the beta server becoming unavailable.  For "technical reasons" this can only happen on the beta server.

I'd like to get an idea how many players might be interested in participating in such a thing, just to gauge interest.  And just to temper expectations, we have "some ability" to do things on beta we can't do on live, but we cannot write all new content or anything like that.  What's on the server is what's on the server, but we can do some things to try to make it interesting.

Tentatively, if it happens this is likely to happen sometime midweek next week, exact time still being discussed.

That's all, and happy Thanksgiving, Titanites... Titanians... Titanics... Titanoids...

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
Re: Possible Player run end of game event
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 05:05:19 AM »
I'm a Beta native, so if you yell really loud, I'll be there.

Though it'll be easier if I knew of a timeframe when this is happening.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 05:17:01 AM by Kaiser Tarantula »

avelworldcreator

• Elite Boss
  • Missing Worlds Media co-founder/senior developer.
    • Basketcase Software
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 05:19:41 AM »
I haven't even set up a toon on beta yet. I need to, and quick!
Missing World Media primary co-founder, senior developer, UI/UX acting lead, and software toolsmith.

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 05:31:29 AM »
I haven't even set up a toon on beta yet. I need to, and quick!
WHAT?!

Oh no no no, that won't do.  Here you go.  Go grab a toon from live and toss 'em on Beta.

Beta's been down to populations as low as 5-10 people on.  We can use all the folks we can get.

avelworldcreator

• Elite Boss
    • Basketcase Software
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 05:36:41 AM »
WHAT?!

Oh no no no, that won't do.  Here you go.  Go grab a toon from live and toss 'em on Beta.

Beta's been down to populations as low as 5-10 people on.  We can use all the folks we can get.
Done
Missing World Media primary co-founder, senior developer, UI/UX acting lead, and software toolsmith.

Zombie Man

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 10:13:04 PM »
<sigh> I'll be in Disney World next week.  :gonk:

It's for a convention. For work. Well, 3 of the 7 days are.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 12:15:56 AM »
<sigh> I'll be in Disney World next week.  :gonk:

It's for a convention. For work. Well, 3 of the 7 days are.
Somehow, I think you're not likely to find much sympathy.  ;)

voodoogirl

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 01:19:13 AM »
Oh, Beta, my home, my home...

avelworldcreator

• Elite Boss
    • Basketcase Software
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 01:52:26 AM »
Oh, Beta, my home, my home...

I hope to be logging onto Beta tonight. Global @Fiona PS

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 08:51:52 AM »
I'm a Beta native, so if you yell really loud, I'll be there.

Though it'll be easier if I knew of a timeframe when this is happening.

Tentatively targeting Wednesday, November 28th, 6pm Pacific 9pm Eastern to give it a try.  Some of the last pieces still falling into place.

I'm posting my notion of a backstory on the official forums, but I will repost them here.  Especially because they'll probably disappear forever in a week.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2012, 08:52:46 AM »
Part One: The Immortal Game

"You're insane.  And coming from me, that's saying something."

The shadowy landscape, if you could call it that, made The Dream Doctor look even more mysterious, but Mender Silos had seen too much to be moved by such trivialities.  But he made a mental note of it anyway, as he always did.  Such theatricality could always be useful one day.  Assuming there would be more days.

"I Must Concur With The Mender, As Much As It Pains Me To Do So.  What You Propose Is Madness."

The voice of Prometheus sounded even more imposing than it normally was - no, not sounded.  It *felt* more imposing.  It didn't so much sound like it was coming from all directions, it sounded like it was always coming from the direction one focused on.  It was always coming *directly at you*.  Whether Prometheus intended to intimidate, this was one audience that would not be cowed.

"It is the only way."

The Dream Doctor had proposed this meeting, and its location.  They were in Ouroboros, or at least a version of it.  This was actually the piece of Ouroboros that lay within Dreamspace, a place where few could navigate and even fewer could locate this nexus of time, space, and consciousness.  Prometheus would be able to meet here and Silos, The Doctor grudgingly conceded, would also have the means to find this place with only minor assistance.  If his plan were to have any chance to succeed, The Dream Doctor would need help, and unfortunately these two were the best suited.

That did not mean they would be the most cooperative.

"My Guidance Has Led The Incarnates To Defeat Cole, It Will Lead Them To Defeat The Coming Storm."

"Your 'guidance' has brought humanity to the brink of defeat.  I have seen this."

"How?"  Mender Silos, the man once known as Lord Nemesis, the Great Manipulator and Schemer, spoke a little too soon.  In the company of ordinary men, this would have gone unnoticed.

"So you know."  The Dream Doctor was no ordinary man.

"What Do You Believe You Know" Prometheus said, although it did not sound like a question.  It sounded like Prometheus almost challenged them to say something he could not dismiss as trivial.

The Dream Doctor ignored the implication.  "The Battalion has begun preparing for their arrival.  They have set the noose."

Prometheus glared, but did not speak.  Mender Silos sensed Prometheus did not understand, and could not resist lording knowledge over the ordinarily inscrutable being.  "I have tried to see what effect Cole's defeat has had upon the Coming Storm.  However, not even my abilities allow me to see more than a few months ahead in time."

The Dream Doctor continued "They are aware of you, Prometheus.  They are aware of your machinations.  They are not concerned about your attempts to put up any resistance.  They care only your interference could cost them their prize.  They have surrounded Primal Earth in all directions with a barrier."

"Not just in space, but in time as well," Silos added.

"In space, in time, across dimensions.  We are in the center of a bubble that traps us here.  And the bubble is shrinking.  The Battalion are herding us, ensuring we do not escape their grasp, so that all of the potential of the Wellspring is theirs to consume."

"It Matters Not.  The Incarnates Will Prevail, The Battalion Will Be Defeated, And All Will Return To The Path I Have Laid Out."

"No, it won't.  The defeat of Cole has weakened the Wellspring.  The energy he once commanded has been dissipated."

"It Will Be Returned To The Well."

"Eventually, but not soon enough.  When the Battalion arrives, the Incarnates will not have the strength to repel them."

"How do you know this?" Silos had already guessed, but he had to be sure.

"As I said, I have seen it."

"If We Are Corralled As You Claim, How Can You Have Seen Our Fate."

"The Battalion are conquerors, they are seekers and wielders of power, they are ravagers and consumers and destroyers" the Dream Doctor explained.  But they are not dreamers.  They have no power here.  At least not yet.  Dreamspace is still open to me, and through it I have seen the dreams of what is to come.  The Battalion come, and the Incarnates fight, but in the end they are swept away.  They fall heroically, but they fall nonetheless.  In every version of every possible timeline, they fall."

"You're still crazy."  Silos said, although it sounded less like he meant it, and more like he was trying to convince himself.

"We can still save our reality."

"By destroying it?"

"Again, I Must Concur With The Mender.  You Propose Destroying Us To Save Us."

The plan the Dream Doctor had proposed to them was so shocking that at first neither Prometheus nor Silos could comment, probably the first and last time such an event would ever occur in all the multiverse.  After Emperor Cole was defeated, The Dream Doctor set his mind upon a quandary.  Cole was no longer a champion of the Well.  His energy had been released back to the Well, where it could be tapped by the Incarnates who would attempt to defend his world.  But it nagged upon him: what if instead of standing and fighting Cole had tried to escape?  What if he had fled?  Could he have stolen that energy and taken it with him?  Perhaps the Wellspring would not allow him to do that.  But still it puzzled him.  The Wellspring did not control all incarnate power: it wasn't sentient in that respect.  It was a concentration of potential and consciousness, but it wasn't an individual entity in that sense.  It did not Dream.  What if all the Incarnates fled Primal Earth?  Would that deny their power to the Battalion?  Could that be a way to at least slow them down?  And why had none before our world tried that before?

And that's when he discovered it.  Only one such as he could truly find it, although a Mender such as Silos would eventually detect it indirectly.  The Barrier.  The Battalion ensured no amount of potential escaped their rampage by surrounding it, encasing it in an ever contracting container.  The human mind struggled to conceptualize what was happening.  There would be no escape.  Every trajectory would be blocked.  Except one.

Dreamspace was still free of the Battalion's touch.  Wells do not dream.  The Battalion, beings empowered by countless Wellsprings of potential, use their power to make thought into reality.  They hunger, they aspire, but they do not dream.  They were so far removed from what they once were they could not even conceive of dreaming.  And because of that, their power did not extend to Dreamspace.

And that's when The Dream Doctor conceived of The Plan.  The Battalion had done most of the work.  They had created a barrier from which all Incarnate potential could not escape out.  The Dream Doctor would take that, and convert it into a barrier of Dreaming.  It would be an impassable moat of Dreamspace through which nothing from the outside could enter without first entering Dreamspace.  And that was anathema to the Battalion.  His world would be saved.

The problem, of course, was the cost.

"Destroying is a strong word.  I propose ... transformation."

"As grass is transformed within a cow."

"Don't be crude Silos.  We will take the *potential* of the Well and use it to *actualize* our world within a protective shield."

"We'll be destroying reality and spitting it back out again."

"Do you have a better idea, Last Deceiver?"

Silos almost winced.  The Dream Doctor knew more of Lord Nemesis' future and Mender Silos' past than he let on, if he knew of that epithet and the circumstances surrounding it.  And in truth, Silos did not have a better plan.

"And how about you, 'Keeper' of the Flame?"  The Dream Doctor was playing all his cards now, for there would not be another hand to play.  He stressed the first word of that title, to prove he knew that which Prometheus had kept secret for so long.  The Dream Doctor spent months learning all he could about these two "men" and the task ahead.  He knew he could not really threaten either of them, but among such beings as they, knowledge was power.  He needed to prove he was willing to play this out to the end.

"Suppose we agree to this.  I assume you have a way to make it actually happen."

"I have the basics.  But I need two things, which is why you are here.  I will need someone with the ability to control Incarnate power.  That is why you are here, Prometheus."

"And as for me?"

"You, Silos, I wish I could do without.  But I need something only you can provide."

"And that is?"

The Dream Doctor smirked, and for the first time since the meeting began he looked right into the eyes of Silos.  "I need a Nemesis plot."

SithRose

• Plan Z: Lore Lead
  • Elite Boss
  • The Phoenix is coming.
    • Missing Worlds Media - Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2012, 04:38:25 PM »
*waits eagerly for the next installment*
Lore Lead for Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
Secretary of Missing Worlds Media, Inc.

Lucretia MacEvil

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2012, 05:40:13 PM »

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2012, 06:35:50 PM »
The Immortal Game

Part Three: Removing the Pin

The sun was slowly setting, its auburn disk seeming to merge with the horizon and then slowly descend below it.  Mender Silos had lived through a billion sunrises and sunsets, and yet had actually seen so few of them.  He could not remember the last time he had stopped to experience one.  He could not remember the first time he had stopped to experience one.  And though time grew short, he decided that for the last time, perhaps, he would pause to take one in. 

The Earth rotated about its axis, and as it did his position upon the Earth's surface changed the radial orientation of his sightline relative to the Sun.  The atmosphere altered the Sun's radiation in complex ways, scattering, diffracting, and absorbing photons in a calculable way.  There were only a few islands here, north of Peregrine Island, and the Sun slowly dipped below the flat, calm ocean.  As the Sun disappeared below the horizon, the man once known as the Prussian Prince of Automatons reflected upon the clockwork mechanics of the world he was about to destroy.  To save the world, he would have to destroy it, although that task ultimately was in the hands of another.  But there was still a problem in his hands.  At best, the plan conjured by the Dream Doctor was flawed.  There were many ways it could fail.  Which is why the Dream Doctor entrusted it to him.  He did not want the Mender, he wanted the Schemer.  And Silos would deliver him.

The sky had turned black, and the stars were now visible.  They moved slowly in arcs reflecting the rotation of the Earth; too slowly for most people to notice, but not too slowly for Silos who followed their motion for many minutes.  As the moon illuminated the landscape, Silos realized that it was only at this moment that he decided to take this final step; the one that would forever seal his fate.  The Dream Doctor would never approve, of course, but that was always a problem with those like him: they were rarely willing to do all that was necessary.  He was, and one look into Cole's eyes was all it took for him to know it of Cole, and Cole to know it of him.  It was something only those of their ilk could truly understand, and truly recognize in others.

It was time.  He took one final look at the world he would probably never see in the same way again, and then he was gone.

He appeared in a flash within a dark space.  It took a moment for his eyes to adjust to the very dim light that was shimmering around him.  Phosphorescent moss glowed with a soft, muted aura.  Silos found himself in a large underground cave.  Strange plants covered the stone walls and boggy ground.  His own armor's various sensors and indicators were harsh spikes of light that interfered with his vision and he commanded them to darken.  It would not do to be seen as he was, a small speck upon the bottom of the cavern, and he directed his armor to hover himself a full ten meters in altitude.  He slowly drifted forward, towards an unusual rockface that appeared to be less overrun by vegetation.  He stopped about thirty meters from it and waited.  He had replayed this encounter a thousand times in his head and concluded it was important to concede the first move to his adversary.

Although he was certain he was detected the instant he arrived, it was a full ten minutes before anything happened.  Slowly, at first, he noticed the rockface shifting.  The vegetation seemed different somehow, although he couldn't quite tell in what way.  The changes accelerated, and soon the rock face began to morph into a separate structure from the cavern wall.  It detached itself, and then began to form a semblance of limbs.  It turned to Silos - no, it didn't turn; its features seemed to slowly flow from the side opposite Silos to the side facing Silos, and he was soon gazing upon what appeared to be a giant homonculous of stone and overgrowth.  It began to rustle, and then with a sound like rushing air through trees it spoke to Silos.

"Ra..pa..cious... De..spoil..er... You ... Have... Come... To... Seek... Your... Doom..."

The monstrous voice of the Avatar of Hamidon echoed throughout the cave.  Silos moved slowly closer to the Avatar as he spoke.  "Not exactly.  Actually, on behalf of the human race, I've come to surrender.  I am here seeking your terms."

"You... Will... Be... Scour..ered... From... The... Face... Of... Cre..a..tion.  There... Will... Be... No... O..ther... Terms..."

Silos smiled.  "Your terms are acceptable."  Silos wondered if the sudden creaking of stone upon stone was the closest thing to surprise the Hamidon was capable of expressing.

"And now here are my terms."

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2012, 06:47:24 PM »
*waits eagerly for the next installment*

This is in many ways a much more fully developed version of the idea I came up with for some successor story involving Primal Earth refugees landing in another world.  It doesn't actually incorporate that idea directly, but I think when all the parts are posted (I'm still polishing the remaining ones) you'll see the potential connection between the two.

Hypothetically speaking, there are lots of ways to go from this story to Project Z, if you wanted to.  I wanted the story to have a real end, and an end that resonated with the game shutdown, but also to have potential for the future, as contradictory as that sounds.

By the time the story ends, we'll be knocking on the door of shutdown, and probably the forum shutdown with it.  So perhaps in a different thread here I'll discuss the backstory of the backstory, if anyone wants to mine it for lore ideas.  In certain ways, this is also my attempt to resolve the mess that is origin of power, incarnates, ascension, and the coming storm, but you can't dump all those ideas into a story without turning it into a wikipedia entry.  First and foremost, I hope the story is entertaining, and second its consistent with the lore, and third it extends the lore in logical and interesting ways.  I think that should be the priorities of anyone contributing to a shared story space.

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2012, 07:43:42 PM »
Hmm... Emperor Cole, Avatar of Hamidon...

Hey, if your event involves running incarnate trials, signature story arcs, or VIP-only story arcs, then those of us that aren't VIPs (such as myself) won't be able to participate.  I don't expect you to spoil the content of your event, but if it involves VIP-only content, you might want to tell us now, so that those of us without VIP status don't get our hopes up.

steve1967

• Minion
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2012, 08:00:06 PM »
Arcana, I will try to be there.

If we win, we save Paragon, right?  I assume that you have hacked the server so it becomes sentient and moves into the cloud to be playable forevermore.

amiright?  <puppydogeyes>

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2012, 08:06:42 PM »
Hmm... Emperor Cole, Avatar of Hamidon...

Hey, if your event involves running incarnate trials, signature story arcs, or VIP-only story arcs, then those of us that aren't VIPs (such as myself) won't be able to participate.  I don't expect you to spoil the content of your event, but if it involves VIP-only content, you might want to tell us now, so that those of us without VIP status don't get our hopes up.

If you can get onto the Beta server at all, you're golden.  We will not specifically be running any VIP-restricted content.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2012, 08:07:35 PM »
If we win, we save Paragon, right?

Yes.  And no.